Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking for interest about a Promethean short game set in 14th century Florence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for interest about a Promethean short game set in 14th century Florence

Hello everyone.

Just as the title says, I'm checking if anyone would be interested in such a game, ran in Play by Post format. For now it's just an idea, I'm honestly not sure if I'll manage to make it happen or if life will make me change my mind. Also, in any case, there's no chance for it to happen before a bunch of months, because of college, exams and work. But I still wanted to check and know if there are potential players for it (and maybe let people start to gather some ideas)

A little premise.

First, the cold details. I never ran or played a Play by Post, so it might be awkward for me, at least at first. The game will be a short chronicle, not a big campaign with a huge overarching plot. Probably quite modular, made of short interconnected stories. There's a beginning and end, that's for sure, but it's intimate and generally low-tier in structure. Not made for a big group, with the idea being 3/4 players at most. Part of it it's because I'm not familiar with the Play by Post medium and that helps me not screw up, but also because it serves better the story I have in mind.

As for the pitch: game's set in Florence and surroundings during the 14th Century. The plague, focus of the Dark Era The Soulless and the Dead, is not the only period covered (might have some adventures before, some later) but it will be central. The chronicle takes a lot of inspirations from Dante's Divine Comedy (the Promethean thread I made about stuff inspired by those books is one of the many on my list of things I need to get back to) and Boccaccio's Decameron.

I'm an Italian literature student. It's safe to say I'm familiar with those, if not a true expert. At least they're books I love, not like others I could not avoid but hated.

The story themes come from the conundrum given by life, death, faith, wars, ruin and the best and worst mankind has to offer when it comes to a Pilgrimage. Overall grim (especially the plague part) but with the typical black humor of the sources here and there and the mandatory spots of light, hope and hard-earned peace that work well with Promethean and I think to be important in general.

By using a frame device of people telling stories to each other shamelessly stolen by Boccaccio, it allows to jump between years and locations with more ease than usual. The stories these people tell are, no surprise here, about the Throng. Little stories that highlight Promethean's aspects while showing pictures of the era at the same time.

Last thing: all Lineages allowed, but instead of the Frankestein we'll use the Amirani, for rather obvious reasons.

I don't want to fool people, there's no guarantee the game will happen. But the idea is there, and I really wanted to see if some appreciated it and would be interested to help me make it happen, should it become a more defined possibility sometime in the future.

That said, I'm open to discuss the pitch, the characters and reply to possible questions.
    Last edited by Cinder; 05-04-2018, 05:12 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

i'm already n a promethean game,but y'know what? I've a lot of free time,so i'm in!

Comment

I don't have time, but for Promethean, I will make it. Especially for The Soulless and the Dead. And extra especially for Florence if La Divina Comedia is in play.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I would be exceptionally interested. I love Storytelling Promethean, and I love playing it.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

i've wanted to try Prom 2e. i've yet to play a 2e game. i'm interested if you have room. the concept may be a bit over my head, though, as i'm not very versed in the inspirations.

Comment

If there is place for me at virtual table - I'm eager to play. Question - How would Golems works in that time? They still would be about Holy Words?

LGBT+ in CoD games
            Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
            Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
            Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
            My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              If there is place for me at virtual table - I'm eager to play. Question - How would Golems works in that time? They still would be about Holy Words?
              With the caveat that this is all very preliminary, I'm afraid that for now the places are taken (there's also ArchonAres that expressed interest about this in another thread). That said, if the game does happen and something changes, I'll keep you all informed.

As for the Tammuz, their relationship with language does not change.There might be some "cultural" differences for them in this time and space window due to Tammuz myths not being exactly well-known in 14th century Italy, but nothing that The Soulless and the Dead has not already described. Also, generalizations are always a useful but flawed tool when it comes to Promethean: if a Golem's concept deals with holy words, I'd have no issues with it.

EDIT: there's also a fair number of medieval Italian folktales about man born from dirt, but that's a plus. It's the usual weirdness that happens when you mix local folklore with the Catholic faith, except we have the Church right there and that does make things bizarre
              Last edited by Cinder; 05-05-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

So if you've never done PbP before, they moves slow. Slower still. Keep slowing down. Your idea to keep things short and modular is perfect. Trying to do long arcs is tempting, but I've found even the most dedicated players start to lose forcus.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  So if you've never done PbP before, they moves slow. Slower still. Keep slowing down. Your idea to keep things short and modular is perfect. Trying to do long arcs is tempting, but I've found even the most dedicated players start to lose forcus.
                  Yeah, I had the impression that small stories we can keep at low pace and are not hurt as others by periods of pause or slow rhythm could be better, so I started making plans in that sense. Glad it turned out to be a good idea.
                  Last edited by Cinder; 05-05-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I am interested as a player! I've had ideas about running a medieval Promethean game myself, with an eye toward storytelling and journeys and anthology stuff like Decameron or Canterbury Tales. (the intersection between Roles and stuff like the Knight's Tale, the Pardoner's Tale, is interesting to me.) I would love to play something in the vein of der Popanz from Year Without a Summer, a vain and florid Unfleshed (or Extempore?) puppet who isn't particularly male or female and has a critical empathy deficit. Also it would be really cool to visit a mysterious monastery in the vein of The Name of the Rose, if we're in 14th century Italy.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                      I am interested as a player! I've had ideas about running a medieval Promethean game myself, with an eye toward storytelling and journeys and anthology stuff like Decameron or Canterbury Tales. (the intersection between Roles and stuff like the Knight's Tale, the Pardoner's Tale, is interesting to me.) I would love to play something in the vein of der Popanz from Year Without a Summer, a vain and florid Unfleshed (or Extempore?) puppet who isn't particularly male or female and has a critical empathy deficit. Also it would be really cool to visit a mysterious monastery in the vein of The Name of the Rose, if we're in 14th century Italy.
                      That's a nice character concept. And mysterious monasteries do feature in the list of story ideas I wrote down so far

Comment

I'm leaning towards either an Arimani or a Tammuz (my two favourite Lineages). Either Plumbum or Cuprum to start with. I already have a character concept in mind- sort of Quasimodo-esque, but primarily a character fascinated with language, divinity, Truth, and how those things intersect.

Lineage will colour from which side I'll approach it; divinity to language, or language to divinity.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Okay, I have a character idea now.

Name: Alichino's Jester
                          Concept: A Promethean who believes the secrets of the Pilgrimage can be unlocked by understanding the spiritual philosophy of humanity. The Jester is particularly fixated on the works of Dante, especially the Divine Comedy, a copy of which was only memento his creator left him. The Jester believes that the works connected to the Comedy provide guidance not only for the Pilgrimage, but also for setting ghosts to rest and placating the spirits of Twilight.
                          Lineage: Ulgan
                          Refinement: Stannum (Outcast) - Much like the Poet and the Pilgram, Alichino's Jester starts in a Dark Wood with his path to humanity blocked by fierce beasts.
                          Merits: Companion (some book related spirit)

FYI, I primarily work from the Mark Musa translation of the Comedy in English. More to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                            I'm leaning towards either an Arimani or a Tammuz (my two favourite Lineages). Either Plumbum or Cuprum to start with. I already have a character concept in mind- sort of Quasimodo-esque, but primarily a character fascinated with language, divinity, Truth, and how those things intersect.

Lineage will colour from which side I'll approach it; divinity to language, or language to divinity.
                            Seems cool. Considering that Dante pretty much created a language for the whole country with his works and that the Comedy, on one of his many levels, starts from the raw and brutal language of the Inferno and grows to the sublime of the Paradise (you could say the language goes through a refinement), I think I can provide some decent analogies to work with your character's Pilgrimage

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Okay, I have a character idea now.

Name: Alichino's Jester
                            Concept: A Promethean who believes the secrets of the Pilgrimage can be unlocked by understanding the spiritual philosophy of humanity. The Jester is particularly fixated on the works of Dante, especially the Divine Comedy, a copy of which was only memento his creator left him. The Jester believes that the works connected to the Comedy provide guidance not only for the Pilgrimage, but also for setting ghosts to rest and placating the spirits of Twilight.
                            Lineage: Ulgan
                            Refinement: Stannum (Outcast) - Much like the Poet and the Pilgram, Alichino's Jester starts in a Dark Wood with his path to humanity blocked by fierce beasts.
                            Merits: Companion (some book related spirit)

FYI, I primarily work from the Mark Musa translation of the Comedy in English. More to come.
                            Nice idea. The time window for the game is after Dante's death and the Comedy was already famous in the following decades (and beloved by the time the plague struck), so things are perfectly cool there..

Overall, the connections to the Comedy and the Decameron are mostly in symbolism and themes, with some of my ideas mirroring certain characters or situations, so that we can have an historic game in the CoD setting where knowledge of the books is not a strict requirement, but the inspirations will be there for sure and color a typical Promethean game more than usual.

...and my idea for the introduction might be a in medias res of the characters lost in a dark wood and stalked by three bestial Pandorans, just to give a shameless example of that.
                            Last edited by Cinder; 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

A disclaimer that I feel might be needed, considering the elements at work here and some ideas I learned people sometimes have about those of my nationality, even on these forums.

Now, the game's set in medieval Italy and has one of the most famous Christian allegories ever written as one of the main sources of inspiration. The characters are trying to earn a soul, a struggle which will be inevitably colored by the historical and cultural context. If your character wants to explore its Pilgrimage as a someone devoted to a faith, that's perfectly fine and there will be plenty of chances for that aspect to shine.

But the game itself won't say whether a certain religion is right or not. I don't feel at ease with that for several reasons and I think it would be a bad idea. It's a Promethean game more than all, which means the characters, who they meet and how they learn to become human while on the Pilgrimage are the most important things. Angels? Might be some. Qashmallin that have some similar aspects to holy apparitions? Almost certainly. Creatures that resemble others from the medieval religious beliefs? Sure, why not. Visions, Azothic memories and conflicts that draw on Christian symbolism? Probably. But I'm not planning a Divine Comedy game with Prometheans, I'm planning a Promethean Dark Era game inspired by the Comedy and the culture of the time. Odds are the game will have spiritual elements, but in a Promethean sense.

Which means things are not as direct as they might be. Dante would hate me for what I'm doing.

I'm not a Catholic, I have my beliefs (that don't matter here), and while I absolutely would not dare to disrespect those who are (or those who aren't), the game is not gonna be about that. The Divine here is the Divine Fire, and there's no "one true way" to achieve New Dawn. Philosophies, life experiences, Refinements...we're gonna explore that. Which is nothing unusual for Promethean, but I wanted to be clear about that. Those who are familiar with my work around here might know that I take inspirations from lots of different sources, many of which are myths and religions, but things are never direct and straightforward. I'm just not a fan of that approach, whether I'm writing fanmade material for RPGs or something else.

The game's more a "standard Promethean game set in the Middle Ages with a little academical twist" than anything. If that's an issue and it's not what you wanted from it, I apologize.

Sorry if it turns out this was not needed (I'm fairly certain it was not, since I know most of you), but unfortunately I experienced that there's some baggage that comes with being an Italian and that sometimes people expect me to act, write, behave and relate to others in a certain way, often related to aspects of the Catholic Church. That's not the case.

With that out the way, let's get back to the cool things and the characters
                              Last edited by Cinder; 05-06-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X