Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking for interest about a Promethean short game set in 14th century Florence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're fine Cinder. I'm personally going to lean into the Divine Comedy hard, but that's because it is one of my favourite books and I would do that for any game set in Florence for this time period, despite Dante and I having vast disagreements over spirituality. So it's all good.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      I think you're fine Cinder. I'm personally going to lean into the Divine Comedy hard, but that's because it is one of my favourite books and I would do that for any game set in Florence for this time period, despite Dante and I having vast disagreements over spirituality. So it's all good.
      It's a great book, that goes without saying, and I'm gonna do the same with Dante (and Boccaccio as well). Besides, I learned enough about Belgian Congo to write a Dark Era because I love Heart of Darkness and my favorite author of all times is H.P. Lovecraft: I know a couple of things about being in disagreement with certain ideas of the authors I admire.

Just wanted to reassure that the game will avoid all aspects that might make it problematic or uncomfortable, despite the tools I use to build it. I'm not the kind of person that does otherwise.
      Last edited by Cinder; 05-06-2018, 06:20 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

A certain educated monk, fascinated by classical science, is secretly involved in espionage between Florence and a rival city. Even more a secret, he is a demon in human skin. In his efforts to imitate the divine mechanisms of Paradise, he created an automaton-marionette meant to wear the faces he had stolen through soul pacts. However, twisted as he was by his obsession and spite for God, his fallen hands exceeded his grasp and touched something much stranger.

The puppet is a person made of wood and ivory. They are poised, elegant, educated, long-fingered, ready to serve, and eager to be recognized and praised and exalted for their service, which is only what they deserve. They learned science and craftsmanship and noble politics from their disappointed demonic demiurge, who (seeking a silver lining) selfishly encouraged their desires to craft themself and others into more perfect presentations of themselves, until things inevitably went horribly wrong and the puppet fled, filled with self-loathing for their diabolical creation. They are mostly not capable of speech without Transmutations, but their creator, who remembered all languages from the wreckage of Babel, taught them a detailed and versatile signed language which they have attempted to share with the rest of their throng. They copy and create identities, just as easily and impersonally playing a swordsman as a handmaiden, but are quite averse to playing beggars. They selfishly alternate between being convinced of their own perfection as a unique creation of the Divine Fire and their utter worthlessness as the hopeless spawn of a failed experiment in blasphemy, but when they see things more clearly and recognize their relationship to others, they quietly hope that Divine grace will grant them a soul.

"God in His providence may bring good out of evil. It doesn't follow that you, fallen, may do evil in an attempt to produce good."

Lineage: Extempore. I like the idea of regaining Pyros by sleeping in areas tagged as Infrastructure (and just near other Created like all Extempore), but if that's too much crossover I'll pick something else.

Bestowment: Strings Attached. You may take a freely-given relationship, social standing, obligation, or Condition from another person and graft it onto yourself, representing it as a Condition. This immediately increases Disquiet by one stage in the subject. When you resolve the Condition, the relationship/etc it represents dissolves permanently.

Refinement: Aurum (Follower), definitely using Deception - Assimilation

Merits: Mentor, Sympathetic, Azothic Object (a smaller puppet and future Firetouched)

2E Legacy Updates
        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
        Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post

Lineage: Extempore. I like the idea of regaining Pyros by sleeping in areas tagged as Infrastructure (and just near other Created like all Extempore), but if that's too much crossover I'll pick something else.
          Yeah, nothing against crossovers, but we're keeping thinks focused on Promethean, with other gamelines not making clear appearances (won't be hard to recognize certain things for what they are should they show up, but you get the idea). Sorry.

Other than that, the character's perfect. The "soul pactish" Bestowment is nice.

What about the Humour?

Comment

I would love to join this game. I already have a character concept, though I may have to refine it for the time period, Its about two centuries too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
              I would love to join this game. I already have a character concept, though I may have to refine it for the time period, Its about two centuries too early.
              I can't see the game happening before at least July, when my exams and courses end, but I'm sorry to say that for now the places are all taken.

That said, f I manage to make it happen for real, I'll be sure to let all those who expressed interest know, so I have a confirmation about who's in and eventual open player spots.

Comment

In a quiet graveyard of Rome, a man of clay harvested from the Tiber river stirs to life. A rabbinical student couldn't get the Sefer Yetzirah out of their head; the purpose of the book was to understand the act and process of creation, the power of words. What would it be like to create? What would it like to be God? The rabbi-in-training tracked down rumour and folklore, how the greatest rabbis of the past had made Golems to become closer to the divine. How you were supposed to destroy a Golem soon after creation, or else it would become frighteningly independent. But when the Golem stirred to life, the student fled, unable to destroy it, unprepared for the confusion and the fear and the awe in the eyes of their creation.

The Golem has no name, believing that to name something is to shape it, define it, fix it in place. The Golem fears being named before they finish the process of creation, being fixed in their unfinished state and never gaining a soul. They refuse even nicknames, accepting instead "friend", "brother", or even "hey you". They speak very little except when absolutely necessary, believing in the power of the voice to change things and impact the world. When they do speak, it is from a place of great emotional power and intellectual authority, when they cannot keep the words inside, when they must speak. In private, the Golem experiments with language, with time and meter, with simile and metaphor. Poetry speaks to the Golem, from a place before creation. The Golem observes, helps where they can, and speaks only when it is of greatest importance.

Lineage: Tammuz Bestowment: Inscription

Refinement: Plumbum (Pilgrim Transmutations: Internalize, Stoke the Furnace)

Elpis: Inspiration Torment: Dejection

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                  Yeah, nothing against crossovers, but we're keeping thinks focused on Promethean, with other gamelines not making clear appearances (won't be hard to recognize certain things for what they are should they show up, but you get the idea). Sorry.

Other than that, the character's perfect. The "soul pactish" Bestowment is nice.

What about the Humour?
                  No worries, I totally understand!

I'm leaning towards sanguine humour, passionate and lively and fond of humans, but also unfocused and flighty. Oil would also fit as a construct, obedient and eager to please but also volatile and dangerous. On the other hand, half the fun of Extempore is coming up with an unusual humour and element like moonlight or saltwater. Maybe I could do something with aether, the pure clear air that animates cosmic motion and enables the stars and planets to affect humans, suggesting someone who serves a purpose and understands lofty generalities like formal roles and astrological correspondences better than specific cases that don't fit. Sleeping in the open air with stars and planets clearly visible, preferably in a high place, sounds about right.

I might take another cue from der Popanz and use the period-appropriate gender neutral pronoun ou when the puppet isn't playing a female or male role. I like how it sounds! I'll try writing with it and see if it sounds workable.

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                  In a quiet graveyard of Rome, a man of clay harvested from the Tiber river stirs to life.
                  The puppet absolutely adores the Golem. They make a perfect straight man! Ou thinks out loud around them by pacing and stewing and animatedly signing elaborate schemes and ideas. Ou likes elbowing their sturdy ribs, draping ous arm over their shoulders, even lifting ouself onto their back for a ride when the puppet doesn't wanna get ous feet dirty. Ous favorite gag is being carried like a performance puppet and signing to an audience, "Don't let the fancy speeches fool you- I'm the smart one!"

The puppet doesn't try to break their vow of silence, but ou does find it a little silly. Does sign language count? What about writing? Are they one of those weirdos who can read silently without even moving their lips? Answer the question, Golem! Ou commands it! (oh, come on, don't give ou that look- why do they always take things so seriously?)

2E Legacy Updates
                  Storm Keepers

Comment

Time seems to not be on my side this week, but I just wanted to chime in and say I like the way the Throng is shaping
                    Last edited by Cinder; 05-08-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Recognizing that Cinder isn't planning to start anything in the immediate future: is there anything we should be reading, talking about, asking?

2E Legacy Updates
                      Storm Keepers

Comment

If anyone else wants to lean into Dante for parts of their character, Yale has an open course on the Divine Comedy. https://oyc.yale.edu/italian-languag...ature/ital-310

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                        He/His Pronouns
                        CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

By all means, if there's anything any of you want to ask or talk about, go for it. Even via PM.

Bother me and don't think twice about it, I'm here anytime.

As for what to read, The Soulless and the Dead chapter of Dark Eras is what I feel being the only strong suggestion. A general overview of the Divine Comedy can help get some references while on the other hand the Decameron is so beautifully heterogeneous that knowing more about it does not do much.

Having a general knowledge of how Italy was structured in the late Middle Ages can also help, but the core point is that the country was fractured in several smaller rival states (and bigger kingdoms in the south).The influence of the Papal state over the others was a source of conflict which, in Florence, led to the equivalent of smaller scales civil wars (and also led to the events that brought to Dante being exiled from Florence). Turbolent times that birthed many great minds.

Also, the humanist ideals of the Renaissance are gonna play a role, because avoiding them in a Promethean game would be amazingly dumb. Maybe give a look at those if you have the time.

How all that will clash with the Great Work and the plague...well, that's something I hope we'll see together

Meanwhile, I'm not writing updates, but a portion of my time is indeed dedicate to my plans for this game

Edit: writing this by phone, it and the forum don't get along. Sorry for the mistakes this might cause
                          Last edited by Cinder; 05-13-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            If anyone else wants to lean into Dante for parts of their character, Yale has an open course on the Divine Comedy. https://oyc.yale.edu/italian-languag...ature/ital-310
                            Thank you, this looks great! I used to be obsessed as a kiddo with an adaptation-translation by Sandow Birk and Marcus Sanders that set it in modern Los Angeles, but I'd love to dig into the original work itself.

I was going to ask if there were any suggestions about especially memorable stories from the Decameron, but I might just see if my library has a copy and page through it.

2E Legacy Updates
                            Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post

I was going to ask if there were any suggestions about especially memorable stories from the Decameron, but I might just see if my library has a copy and page through it.
                              I've always been a fan of the Melchizedek and Saladin one (Day 1, Tale 3), the Andreuccio da Perugia one (Day 2, Tale 5), the Lisabetta da Messina one (Day 4, Tale 5), the Nastagio degli Onesti one (Day 5, Tale 8) and the Friar Cipolla one (Day 6, Tale 10). Just my two cents, but those are the ones I always remember

Comment

Character sheet in progress!

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                                He/His Pronouns

Comment

Working...
                                X