Checking for interest about a Promethean short game set in 14th century Florence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caladriu
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    It just clicked that Alichino is one of the Malebranche. If I were the jester and my creator left me with a copy of the Divine Comedy, I'd be really worried that there's a Malacoda out there somewhere looking for me.

I finally got a copy of the Decameron to read today, and I might write some fiction stuff around it to play around with the puppet's voice and personality.

I'm leaning towards Empathy or Joy or Love for an Elpis, and Logical for a Torment. Something to do with isolation/fear/loss of self might fit, too.

Dark Eras suggests that medieval European characters with a few dots in Academics probably know Latin or Greek without needing to buy Language. Does that sound about right for this game?

I think I get what you're going for, Cinder, but how are you picturing the frame story of tales told about the throng working? Is that just you as a narrator, or are we involved somehow? It could be cool to set up an adventure by asking "the crowd" a few questions and having us talk about them and suggest answers and elements that might come up in this story. "I wanna hear a love story! Tell us about the war! Do one with magic in it!" Maybe there's some overall topic or question for the Chapter that acts as a shared Aspiration, like "are nobles more virtuous than commoners?" and there's an incentive for us to do things play up that theme in addition to whatever is primarily going on.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

• Cinder
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
      I think I get what you're going for, Cinder, but how are you picturing the frame story of tales told about the throng working? Is that just you as a narrator, or are we involved somehow? It could be cool to set up an adventure by asking "the crowd" a few questions and having us talk about them and suggest answers and elements that might come up in this story. "I wanna hear a love story! Tell us about the war! Do one with magic in it!" Maybe there's some overall topic or question for the Chapter that acts as a shared Aspiration, like "are nobles more virtuous than commoners?" and there's an incentive for us to do things play up that theme in addition to whatever is primarily going on.
      I'm still thinking on how to implement it as something more than just a high-concept narrative device, but I was indeed leaning towards something like the latter, where the NPCs that "narrate" the story state a topic and you as player get something if your character explores it. Shared Aspirations are one of the ideas, but I got a few other too I'll ponder about in due time.

Overall, most episodes will (if I manage to do things right) highlight some aspects of the human or Promethean condition and the search for soul and salvation, so giving an incentive for the characters to explore them sounds cool. Chapters that come with questions for the Throng to answer with their actions and that they're free to do so as they see appropriate or things like that. As long as the characters confront with it it, no matter the lesson a specific one sees in a story, it's fine. The character makes its experiences, Virgil nods in approval, the people telling the stories are entertained and the Pilgrimage keeps going forward. But yeah, odds are there's going to be some practical implementations of it for us to play with.

To say more would spoil some of my intentions for the conclusion and the moment where the short chronicle wraps up, so I'll try to shut up for now.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

• Acopiltaczet
        • May 2018

Hey,Cinder just a heads up. i'm still in for this despite the fact i've havent posted. i'm cooking a character as a type this
        Or is the game already full?

Comment

• Cinder
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Acopiltaczet View Post
          Hey,Cinder just a heads up. i'm still in for this despite the fact i've havent posted. i'm cooking a character as a type this
          Or is the game already full?
          If the people we have here confirm their presence when I decide to get the game rolling, I'm afraid the game's indeed full. Sorry about that!

Comment

• Nicolas Milioni
            • Dec 2014

So,Cinder when do we start? I Don't have a character yet but it's just because i'm trying to decided between several concepts

Comment

• Cinder
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
              So,Cinder when do we start? I Don't have a character yet but it's just because i'm trying to decided between several concepts
              The estimated start has not changed: late July is when I (hopefully) will be done with the toughest part of my college duties this year and will have the necessary time to dedicate the proper attention to the game. When that happens, I'll make the preparations and we'll start talking about it for real. In the meantime, I'm reading PbPs to get used to it and making plans.

Still plenty of time to work on that character concept

Comment

• Nicolas Milioni
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                The estimated start has not changed: late July is when I (hopefully) will be done with the toughest part of my college duties this year and will have the necessary time to dedicate the proper attention to the game. When that happens, I'll make the preparations and we'll start talking about it for real. In the meantime, I'm reading PbPs to get used to it and making plans.

Still plenty of time to work on that character concept
                Oh man,I feel like a dummy now. I could swear you said June

Comment

• Cinder
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  Oh man,I feel like a dummy now. I could swear you said June
                  No harm done, my friend. Feeling like a dummy helps to roleplay Promethean, but you don't have to do it like this. Don't worry about it

Comment

• Cinder
                    • Nov 2013

Nothing major here, I prefer to keep my mouth shut when preparing games since I have the tendency to spoil things and I still have lots of work to do in that sense, but there's been some talk of a trip to Florence with some friends next month. It's been a while, it's not that far but not around the corner either.

If that happens, expect some reference picture for us to use
                    Last edited by Cinder; 06-16-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Caladriu
                      • Feb 2014

I would love to see any and all photos! It'd be a step above the respected historical text Assassin's Creed for Florentine knowledge.

Thinking of Quasimodo-esque characters, here's a really great video of an actor performing that part in sign language with voice provided by another actor, which made me think of the puppet: https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisdcle...44981051056129

I like the idea that when the puppet uses Distillations to speak out loud, ou just borrows the voice of someone nearby rather than having a consistent one of ous own, not unlike an Unchained pacting for parts of an identity.

2E Legacy Updates
                      Storm Keepers

Comment

• Cinder
                        • Nov 2013

Hey there, I spoke with the Powers That Be and now know that my last exam will be on the 30th. Regardless of how that goes, we're starting after that date.

Sorry it's taking this long, everyone, but I had to concentrate on that or face the consequences.

Comment

• Second Chances
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                          Hey there, I spoke with the Powers That Be and now know that my last exam will be on the 30th. Regardless of how that goes, we're starting after that date.

Sorry it's taking this long, everyone, but I had to concentrate on that or face the consequences.
                          All good. I also had some unexpected deadlines appear, so I've been doing the same thing with my prospective Werewolf/Demon game

Chris H | Patreon| He/His | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, Nexus)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Cinder
                            • Nov 2013

Some time ago, I attended a monographic course on Dante that lasted for 200 hours and yet the professor did not told us how to best represent Beatrice in the Chronicles of Darkness. I'm disappointed.

(That's just me joking about some things I've dealt with today and to give proof that things are being done behind the scenes)
                            Last edited by Cinder; 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Caladriu
                              • Feb 2014

Well, not every angelic presence needs a concrete rules or setting explanation right off the bat. I would put 2 or 3 ideas in my ST notes, start narrating the character at face value, and decide which option sounds most interesting once she's on the page.

Still reading Decameron and diving into some other medieval European lit. If the puppet has a personal name, it might be Silence, taken from this novel which ou was both fascinated and unsettled by: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Roman_de_Silence

2E Legacy Updates
                              Storm Keepers

Comment

• Cinder
                                • Nov 2013

Got some things to deal with and I probably won't around for a few days, but it's time to check who's in.

Nicolas Milioni , Second Chances , Arcanist and Caladriu , you're still up for some Promethean?

Comment

Working...