Interest Check: Mage the Awakening Play by Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest Check: Mage the Awakening Play by Post

Well my brain has been restless today, the seeds for a campaign forming. I'd been thinking of running a play by post over the forum for some time now and then and this may be the opportunity to do it. The name of the game would be mage the awakening, though I'll apply houserules generously.

The theme of the game will be old secrets come to life, a city plagued by conspiracies shuddering as the demons of its past come back to life (or not... depending on what the players do of course). It'll play in a city in the US, presumably east coast, but I haven't set that into stone. As a matter of fact the idea is for now still in its formative phase and thus I'll be able to incorporate wishes from the players (as long as they don't clash too much with what I had in mind). Speaking of players....

I'm looking for 3-4 PCs... guess since this is play by post I could support 5 players. We'll be playing over the forums here on this board, using a roll20 chat I'll set up for rolls (or some alternative if that is for some reason inconvinient for others, discord, orocos whatever). If you are interested just post here. I don't require you to have any experience with the rules system (really I often feel like players new to mage can appreciate the magic far more than jaded souls like myself :P), however as I said before I will be implementing houserules, so a certain flexibility in that regard is a must. I will try to update the thread as quickly as possible. I'm fairly certain I can put up a post once per week unless something special comes up, likely I'll be able to post more often. If you can't post very often due to demanding schedules that is completly fine, though I think a post per week by everyone is a reasonable goal, otherwise we'll go nowhere.

Aaaaaaaaaand that's all for now I think. I'll tinker with setting building and the story over the next few days. Who wants to play? If you allready have ideas what kind of character you want to play, what kind of mysteries you want to explore and what themes you'd like to encounter I'd be happy to hear them.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Quite possibly...

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I would definitely be interested in participating!

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Heck yes please. I am hungry for Mage lately, particularly if organized crime can be a factor. Blame my current replay of Yakuza 0.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

That's the start of a solid group right there.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
            Heck yes please. I am hungry for Mage lately, particularly if organized crime can be a factor. Blame my current replay of Yakuza 0.
            *starts thinking about a legacy resolving around organized crime*

guess one warning upfront: founding legacies will be alot harder in my game, so you'll have to join an existing one rather than just make up your own on the fly... that said I'm perfectly happy to incorporate any legacies you think up in the form of characters, grimoires or stranger vectors.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Yaaaaay. Can I join in?

Comment

I haven't really found myself wanting to make a Legacy at any point, so that's b'okay.
                Anyone particularly feeling a Path atm? I've got mostly Acanthus and Moros ideas floating around.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

I'm looking at Acanthus or Mastigos at the moment. The Subtle Arcana are very much my thing. Sympathy, Fate, Souls, Resonance, and the weird ways that Supernal phenomena overlap with Fallen (and Invisible) phenomena are the kind of Mysteries they'd probably be poking at.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I'm thinking Obrimos or Thyrsus. Mysterium either way. Probably a generalized spread of Arcana.

Edit: Scratch that. Definitely Thyrsus Mysterium with a drive to catalogue supernatural beings. Particularly animals.
                    Last edited by Second Chances; 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I'm sort of juggling an Acanthus Ladder (Fate, Time, Space) who helps run a mystery cult of shady businessmen, a Moros Libertine (Matter, Death, Forces) who's a shy electrician who crochets, and a Moros Arrow (Death, Matter, Fate) who's mob muscle turned imposing sorceress.
                      Last edited by Beans; 07-18-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I'd be interested, but I don't know if I'd be a good fit bc once a week is way too slow for me, I prefer at least once a day and I don't mesh well with very busy people since they tend to sign up then flake.

Comment

I can manage at least once a day myself, I figure.

Comment

When brainstorming for charideas keep in mind that your characters will fom (or have allready formed) a cabal. What are the common interests that tie your characters together?

The Consilium I imagine is rather byzantine and clandestine, each order acting more like a conspiracy of their own with relativly little crosspolution. A broad Consilium is seldom held and most only interact with their own caucus, cabal and other mages they have buisness with. Cabals are often made up of a single order or maybe two if interests coincide, so a cabal featuring multiple orders would be quite extraordinary (but far from impossible and when are pcs ever ordinay). The reasons for this secrecy will become more apparent when I do the full write up.

So how do, say a Mystagogue who wants to study supernatural animals and a mob enforcer come together? One option would be outsiders and disgraced apprentices huddling together for protection, but that would certainly paint your relationship to the rest of the consilium in a certain light... looking forward to hearing your ideas on that front! I plan on starting you out as established mages (read normal starting caracters, not newly awakened), therefor I'd prefer it if we established the cabal before play begins.

Originally posted by gamora View Post
                            I'd be interested, but I don't know if I'd be a good fit bc once a week is way too slow for me, I prefer at least once a day and I don't mesh well with very busy people since they tend to sign up then flake.
                            I will probably be able to post on most days, lest I'm especially busy (I'm working on ma Masters thesis atm, so I will be pretty stressed for a few weeks in ~3 months at least), but I don't think I can expect the same of everybody. If we manage to proceed quickly that is well and - I think - healthy for the game, but I won't exclude people from participating because they can't post everyday.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Are you still open to new interest? I can usually do a post a day without too much trouble, and am pretty open regarding houserules. Not 100% on a Path (Moros?), but I would love to play a Mystagogue. I have this image of this rather grizzled older guy who does 'odd jobs' for the Orders Censors.

Comment

Working...
                              X