Interest/recruitment for Mage 20 PBP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest/recruitment for Mage 20 PBP

I have collected and read mage the ascension books since the 90s but never found a group I could convince to play it (other than a breif PBP that never really took off because the ST vanished). Recently I have been looking through the aniversary edition and feeling a familiar itch, so I thought it might be time to look for an online game.

TBH the thought of Story telling mage is a bit daunting as I usually play FATE these days, however realistically I can see that finding somebody else willing to run the game is a long shot so unless anybody wants to step in, I am willing to take it on.

So I am looking for 3-4 players (actually I would be willing to start out with up to 6, to cover the inevitable attrition with play by post games, but I would be reluctant to start with less than 3).

Coming from a Fate background (and to reduce the daunting task of settng up a game as open as mage is) I plan on making setting creation collaborative. I will throw in plenty of secrets, but I expect you to take an active interest in the setting, and we will take some time to develop it before launching into play.

With that in mind, if you are interested I dont want a character pitch. Our first job is to establish the sort of game we want to play and make sure we are all setting out with the same expectations, so to get us started let me know your preferences in terms of:

Genre (high fantasy? Gritty urban? Dark adventure? Magical espionage? War stories? other?)
    Scale (local problems? world spanning conspiracies?)
    Focus (at least 2 things you really want to see. optionally, two things you really dont want to see).
    Anything else you think is important about the kind of mage game you want to play.

For my part I am drawn to mage because I enjoy stories about magic, so I would prefer a tradition focussed game to a technocracy focussed game (although I am happy to include technocracy as antagonists - I just want the main focus to be weilders of magic).
    Because I find it hard to imagine mages fitting into the standard city based model favoured by awakening and other splats(unless they are a small cabal with few resources), I envision the story to revolve around a chantry rather than a sleeping city. The scale and resources of that chantry may vary depending on the kind of game we decide to run, and depending on what decisions we make it might occupy a very defined space in the world, or may have portals stretching across the globe.

Honestly, I'd love to play an Orphans game. Very punk and personal, with lots of self discovery.

Comment

I'd enjoy playing in a Traditions game, although I think I'd enjoy a game where other Traditions mages are sometimes just as big an obstacle as the Technocracy. As far as scale goes, I think I'd enjoy the focus on the local. Maybe we occasionally have effects beyond that, but those would be the exception rather than the rule.

As far as focus, I'd definitely like to see how mundane and mage life intersects. The weird things you can do with the magic system are cool, but I like to see them given context alongside mundane life. I also like to see everyone starting out as newly minted mages. I like the idea of playing a character trying to establish themselves.

Comment

I'm certainly interested. Wether Orphans, Traditions or Technocracy is not of prime interest to me (I can come up with interesting concepts for all of those), but my favourite part about mage is the paradigm (or in M20 terms the Focus, I guess). I'd love to play in a game where the group is sharing one paradigm and is really exploring that worldview and its associated myths indepth. Think this covers both genre and focus.

Scale I'd say mostly local, but it can branch of into global (and better: metaphysical).

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
          I'm certainly interested. Wether Orphans, Traditions or Technocracy is not of prime interest to me (I can come up with interesting concepts for all of those), but my favourite part about mage is the paradigm (or in M20 terms the Focus, I guess). I'd love to play in a game where the group is sharing one paradigm and is really exploring that worldview and its associated myths indepth. Think this covers both genre and focus.

Scale I'd say mostly local, but it can branch of into global (and better: metaphysical).
          I can't second this enough. I had plenty of games but very, very few where we actually had something that deep in common.

Comment

If there's still room for one more player, I'd be really down to join !

Focus is also the most appealing feature in M20 for me. The idea of playing a mono-Tradition group, but where each player would channel its core paradigm through wildly differents Practices, Tools and Spheres could be awesome. (I've always had a weakness for the Cult of Ecstasy, but any of them could be interesting).

As far as focus, I'd definitely like to see how mundane and mage life intersects. The weird things you can do with the magic system are cool, but I like to see them given context alongside mundane life. I also like to see everyone starting out as newly minted mages. I like the idea of playing a character trying to establish themselves.
            Completely agree.

Comment

Oooh, I missed the sudden flurry of interest. Looks like we have a good start.

I also find the focus rules to be a huge draw of mage, so I am totally down with exploring paradigm. Let's say we are going to settle on a single tradition then (maybe even a single faction? Or is that a bit narrow?)

we have one vote for orphans and one for ecstatics (A favourite of mine also, although we would need to discus boundaries and comfort if we went down that road).

how about genre? Gritty horror?, high magic? Action and adventure? Intrigue? With the focus on paradigm I am guessing we probably want something deeper than an action romp.

Houlio's suggestion of characters trying to establish themselves sounds like it might be interesting - we could start with newly awakened mages trying to find a place in their new tradition without losing sense of who they were before awakening. Lots of potential to explore their paradigms as they find their place in the world, with how that pans out depending on which tradition they belong to.

any other preferences? Thoughts on tradition?

Comment

I enjoy mono traditions as well. Action and Adventure is my jam.

Comment

Sounds good Damocles. Any preference on which tradition?

Comment

Honestly? While my favourite are the Virtual Adepts, I'm partial to the Cult of Ecstasy. It could be fun.

Comment

Traditionwise I'm down with most. Seems like the trend is Ecstatics so far, I'm down with that. The only ones I don't really care for are Celestial Chorus and Etherites.

If we go CoE I think theme wise what we want to focus on is Perception. That's the special thing about them, they perceive the world differently, more intensly. A blurring of the lines between what is real and what is not oh wait it's actually real just not yet err wait I mean it's ephemeral! So basically otherworldly stuff, not just umbral but spatial and temporal distortions, sentient dreams and evolving destinies of quicksilver. I'm not just thinking about a group of people on a mushroom trip here, what I'm trying to express is that the CoE tends to see the world differently, as they are all about sensation and thus where a hermetic sees a mystery as an intellectual problem to solve the cultist feels, experiences he mystery and I think our story should be informed by that.

That said there's great opportunity to add in action and adventure and/or slice of life to this. And gritty horror... well... there is plenty of potential for that.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

We could even have a greater purpose for that. How do we perceive ourselves? Do we have a greater responsibility for having this unique perspective?

Comment

If perception of self and the world + doubt about the reality of threats around us is meant to be the central theme of the campaign, I'd vouch for at least one or two of the major antagonists to be Marauders. Nothing speaks more about those themes than an Awakened being in constant Quiet, warping reality in his wake, and so far gone in his delusion than the question of his genius or madness is utterly irrelevant.

As for genre, I'm all for an horror/adventure combination, but I also like to have some kind of intrigue undertone, with the players cultivationg alliances and garnering Influence over different mortal fields of the city, depending on their personal interests and proficiencies (circling back to the them of self-assertion). One of the thematic I really like is the fact that the mages are not simply people with supernatural powers: they're a handful of Awakened in a world that Sleeps, and each of their choices can influence masses without anyone but them being aware of who is really pulling the strings.
                          Last edited by Adrasalieth; 08-13-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Some great ideas.

It looks like Ecstatics (or rather the Sahajiya) are the most popular choice. I have to admit I am happy about that. They also seem a great fit for the kind of game and themes we are talking about. Marauders sound like a great thing to explore from an ecstatic perspective. In some respects, they seem like the ecstatic paradigm taken to an extreme with the doors blown wide open but leading to fixation rather than enlightenment.

I think the next thing we need to consider is location (Spacial and temporal). I tend towards the one mage per 250k people statistic, and like to keep the setting consistent so unless there is a specific reason for mages to gather on mass 'local' needs to either mean a relatively large area or a metropolis of we are going to have enough mages of various traditions to keep things interesting.

I am not a fan of the revised era where magic was so tight you may as well not have bothered playing mages in the first place, but other than that I am open to suggestions. I like the idea of a modern setting, where revised happened, the traditions were decimated, the masters are gone, but now things are recovering (Ie default M20), but a more retro game with the ascension war still in bloom could also provide an interesting backdrop.

I am open to suggestions on location;

England holds a certain draw because it is my home and so I feel it is familiar enough for me to at least try and do it justice, although I think my version of the UK probably differs from official canon somewhat - imwd Britain and the British empire was a success story for the order of reason. It was the birthplace of the industrial revolution, and a stronghold in the ascension war - a place where hermetic and verbena were forced into hiding and religion was subverted as a tool of the state. That changed with the defection of the virtual adepts and the sons of ether. Not only was England the birthplace of industry, but it was also the birthplace of the adepts, and they fought hard here alongside the resurgence of mystical crafts that emerged from hiding. As the ascension war elsewhere was turning against the traditions, in England it raged hotter than ever. Eventually, in the 80s, the union did the unthinkable and withdrew leaving the empty husks of once great industries scattered across the north of the country as Iteration X shifted its focus to the US, and consolidating its hold on the city of London through the syndicate. Their only real influence across the country as a whole comes through the NHS - possibly the progenitors greatest ever success, and so beloved of the sleepers that it operates unchallenged in even the most hard-core of mystical strongholds. Because of the spread out nature of the population (Or maybe just the tiny distances involved compared to somewhere like the states), a campaign here would probably focus on events across several counties - still within an hour or so drive. I doubt the Sahajiya has a huge presence in the isles however (other than through the remnants of helfire clubs...), so you might find yourselves needing to navigate alliances with other traditions.

Vegas is also appealing, simply because there is a setting book that would help cut down on prep. That said, it does seem to be a decent fit for the themes we are considering.

It might also be interesting to look at somewhere the Sahajiya is more strongly embedded - exploring the more ancestral paradigms of the Sahajiya alongside more modern interpretations. This would encourage a deeper look at the single tradition and the exotic nature of the location might help throw us outside of our own cultural references an help emphasise the altered perceptions and different ways of looking at things.

Comment

I like the idea of playing in the UK. I rand a campaign in Vegas myself at one point, though I ended up using barely anything from the book. That the Sahajiya is not strong in the UK is more of a plus than a negative to me. It means the PCs have more reason to huddle together and opens up lots of plothooks. Afterall if someone needs the touch of an Ecstatic, who else are they going to ask?

I think a setting where most masters are gone is a good idea, if there was an Avatar Storm I would prefer if it had died down by now though.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Working...
                              X