Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging Interest/Recruitment for Action/Psycho-Thriller Slasher Game

Breaking News: Death Toll Rises

“Did you see the news? Apparently. some psycho decided to run down a dozen people with their SUV in broad daylight. They’re still on the loose, too. The cops are on the lookout. Crazy shit, right? I hope they follow up on that story.."

People die everyday. That's nothing special. It's the circle of life. The old must, sometimes, be replaced by the new. That's just the way of progress, right? This brings up the question of what is progress and what has progressed. Everything and nothing. Same as always. See, I have this theory, and shallow as it may be seem at first, hear me out: sometimes image really is everything.
    I remember the first time I made the news. I was almost dizzy. There my handiwork was, being announced before a waiting audience and on display for the world to witness. Well, just few regional news outlets and a brief, though sweet, moment on a big network nightly news broadcast. It was a good start, though. I wasn't invisible anymore. There was proof that would make people see what I could accomplish. The people around me had always underestimated me. What a mistake that was. I knew better.
    People still underestimate me. I'm fine with that, nowadays. I sign my work, sure, but it's about a level of finesse. There's a difference between getting the attention of the press and leading the police to your front door, after all. And sure, I like the attention, too, truth be told. Why lie? They haven't caught me yet, and if I'm careful, they never will.
    All they have is a nickname for me. I like it well enough, and hearing it always makes me feel more than a bit elated. I never had any nicknames I liked before, and getting some long overdue recognition is nice, ya know?
    I want you to know this won't be personal. I can't fall behind on my body count. These days there's so much competition.
    Have you seen the news lately? Sprees aren't my thing, but who am I to criticize? We're all in this for the spotlight, and people want to see the fatalities rise. Human nature is funny that way.

I'll try to make our rendezvous quick. I like efficiency, and I've little time to waste. It's all about numbers and pacing these days. I won't forget to take some of that pretty hair once I'm done, though. I wouldn't want to waste such lovely locks.

Sincerely,
    The Seaboard Scalper

[DOCUMENT FOUND WITH UNADDRESSED ENVELOPE NEAR THE BODY OF THE VICTIM]

Everyone knows that the major news networks are always looking to scare us. When it's not one issue, it's another. The world's a scary place. after all. And it's what keeps us watching. Fear is a great motivator. It makes you feel alive, in a way. Then there's those times when, in your darker moments, you might empathize with someone who's crossed society's lines of right and wrong. Maybe they just seem misguided to you. Maybe you think of them only as an object lesson. Maybe, just maybe, you feel like you understand them, or even almost ...agree(?) with them in some way.

The simple truth is, anyone can be a killer. We don't know what makes someone decide to take the lives of others. That's just a matter of choice or circumstance. Sometimes people choose to be killers. Sometimes people are made into killers. Great and terrible takers of life. Mostly the latter, though. Despite that, stories of bloodshed and death have always captivated us, one way or another. Maybe that morbid fascination is just part of the spectrum of human experience. Who knows?

What we know is that people will see a death toll and stop to watch and listen. People will take notice of death on the news, and the effects will go on rippling out into society. We all know that we've watched it. And they're counting on that.

Or, rather, you are.

You're a killer. A damned good one, too. The news may or may not have heard of you yet, but they will. You've noticed that homicide hasn't gone out of style as a form of entertainment, though newer trends may be more "in fashion" and popular these days. Whether you're following a trend, but making it your own through sheer number of fatalities, reviving a more "classic” approach to your kills or acting as an innovator of serial/mass murder, there's an audience for you.

You're front and center, in the spotlight and right at the fingertips of a flock of readers, viewers or potentially even devoted fans. So much attention. Maybe you hope to attract those fans or acolytes. Maybe what you want is to bring fear and speculation to the public imagination. Maybe you’re a killer for sport, who wants to be recognized in some way. Maybe you want to kill every left-handed person in order to avert the Apocalypse, because an angel in a dream told you it was your duty to act, and to alert the world. Maybe you just want to watch the world burn. Regardless of your motivations, people will take notice, one way or another.

Kill one person, you're a murderer. Kill so many people that society can't help but start discussing your handiwork? You could reach out to the masses. You could become the new face of The Boogeyman, the New Nightmare in the Collective Unconscious. You could be Famous.

You could be the next big thing in murder... if the competition doesn't claim all the spotlight first.

Breaking News is a Slasher game for 2-5 players, using Hunter: The Vigil and the World of Darkness 1st Edition Rulebook, along with a few other CofD 1st Edition supplements. It’s intended to, among other things, explore the infatuation with murder that society often expresses, both through the lens of the human and the inhuman (or inhumane) aspects of such acts, and the attention given them by the public and the media. Players will be acting as the main protagonists of the game, however, in this context, protagonist just means the center of attention. Nobody will have unbloodied hands. Everyone will get noticed. And how could you not? You'll be the terror of the evening news. The reason people lock their doors at night.

Players start with basic Slasher characters, using the Ripper templates. Through some form of advancement/major event later in the game (be it mystical, through training/study, or freak accident etc.), players may, under the right circumstances. overlay an appropriate Scourge template and/or appropriate Merits/Powers onto their character to emphasize their evolving/devolving self as a killer.

Please post or PM if interested! Thanks!
    Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 08-29-2018, 11:11 PM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
    - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
    (She/Her)

I would be very interested. Count me in. I'll think of a concept.

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
      I would be very interested. Count me in. I'll think of a concept.
      Great to know that this has caught your interest! I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of concept you might have in mind.

For anyone else reading, we still have room for more players!
      Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 08-27-2018, 02:53 PM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
      (She/Her)

Comment

I was thinking about a female brute with a penchant for knives, covered in bandage and with a virulent hate for society or a death trap focused genius with Idol mannerism.

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
          I was thinking about a female brute with a penchant for knives, covered in bandage and with a virulent hate for society or a death trap focused genius with Idol mannerism.
          I've got to say, both seem like fun ideas. A lot of the narrative is focused on how what you're doing impacts society, rather than what exactly you did to what victim with what sharp object. Some might very much want to use gore and/or brutality to further their agendas, though, so that's something to think about. All that said, most every Ripper Undertaking is workable for this, provided that the chronicle's themes and focus are respected and used as a measure for how playable a character is. If you're genuinely torn between the two concepts, maybe try building a rough version of each and see which seems to fit you more? It's what I do when I run into that situation.

Speaking of playability, there is something I should note:

Morality. Most decent people have it. Some might prefer that Slashers don't. Slasher characters in this game do, though. Specifically, we'll be using The Code from Hunter: The Vigil (p. 325), so you can keep a human touch to your killers, however dark and grisly their deeds. Sure, you can still lose Morality if you're breaking even your own rules, but now your Morality is better suited to working with your homicidal activities rather than against them.

Still building a player roster! New players welcome!

- Az
          Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 08-28-2018, 09:24 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

So, here's an outline for the first character.

Gwen Thompson was the plainest person you could ever think of, but she didn't mind. All she cared about was knowing people. She owned a library and while her clientele was dwingling, she had her share of strange and interesting folks. Then came the day she rented a flat just above her shop and she was delighted to have them...At first. Turns out they were a cult. They were pretty interesting, yes: That was until they captured her and started cutting her flesh off. The cult's big thing was "cutting away" at societal ills. They did take care of her while they did that. Gave her time to reflect on her mistakes. Whatever they were, they weren't telling. That was until she found a pair of broken scissors. Just one blade. It was enough to free her self from her restraints. It was enough to stab trough her captor's eye. It was enough to make them bleed. She burned the flat and everyone in it. Whoever survived, will have to watch their back.

Now she stalks the ngiht, cutting away at society's ills and calls herself Scissor Sister.

Comment

I like the concept and backstory for this outline, but I'm left wondering where she fits into the themes of the Chronicle. What sort of attention is she looking for, or gained incidentally due to her murders? How much do you want the possible remnants of that cult to be present in the story?

I'm interested so far, though that Genius concept you teased with still has me wondering.

- Az

(She/Her)

Comment

She gains accidental attention from them. She does what she does to get rid of the people she perceives as spoiled, selfish and dangerous in her madness. People love that. I'd like her to be seen as a creepypasta. A real life one, though. As for the remnants fo the cult? A few, maybe.

Comment

damocles23 I dig it. The creepypasta angle gives me a great hook for the attention she gets and how it could be filtered through the public and the news media. Overall, I think this one is a winner. I'm happy to give Scissor Sister the green light!

PM me to go into further details about your character, and we can start building their part of the setting.

(She/Her)

Comment

For anyone who sees this, the ST seems to have diseappeared entirely

Comment

Originally posted by gamora View Post
                      For anyone who sees this, the ST seems to have diseappeared entirely
                      Apologies for my recent absence. I've been online sporadically, but have neglected this thread. I'm still interested in the concepts people might bring to a game like this. This game is still in the early playing phase, though. I'm still working on fitting this into my schedule.

With that in mind, I thought some important questions should be asked of player characters. This is more a way of evaluating how appropriate a character could be for this chronicle and its moods, themes and presentation.

A Quick And Painless Vivisection:

1) Does your character seek to attract media attention or social awareness/fame/infamy? If not, would their activities attract such anyway? This is an important facet of the chronicle.

2) Would your character be more appropriate as a Hunter than a Slasher? This is a game about spree killers, serial murderers and the commercialization of human tragedy. Heroic characters need not apply.

3) As a Slasher game, killing people is just part of the story. It's an important part, though. Regardless of how or who your Slasher decides to dispatch their victims, the why is what matters most.

Why? Because people always want to know why. Build your motivation, your signature. People are curious, sometimes morbidly so. Can your concept support that kind of depth?

Just some things to think about.

- Az

(She/Her)

Comment

1) She doesn't, but she is somewhat amused by the thought. Still, too many unwanted attentions are deleterious for her activities. Not to mention she may even develop a distaste for paparazzi.
                        2) Slasher true and trough.
                        3) To send a message, to let them know she is coming, to scare the shit out of people and whoever may have escaped.

Comment

1) Definitely. People wouldn't be afraid to commit heinous crimes if they didn't know they'll get what's coming to them.
                          2) Slasher, she's not a Hunter
                          3) I guess this might be too similar to the other application? But I've said why. The world is fucked up, she's trying to make it better by taking out the trash.

Comment

I'm dealing with an issue here that I should have foreseen: the "justified killer" trope.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ilHasStandards

I realize that it's easier, in some cases, and more "fun" for some to go the "Dexter" route. The idea of killing "evil'/bad/criminal type people is, for most, easier to stomach when it comes to looking through a killer's eyes. Now, I wouldn't say that it makes the act of murder more moral, but it does often make the psychological impact more tolerable, even satisfying in a way. And that's part of the problem.

Player characters, for the most part, are drifting from the premise of this chronicle. I was originally presented with concepts for a Brute, a Genius, a Freak and a Charmer. After some fluffing out, however, these began to change. At first, I was ok with the small changes. What's one misguided Avenger, right?

Cut to this week:

Every PC is an Avenger. Not most. All of them. Every character is designed around taking out the "bad guys"; the murderers, sexual predators, crooked government officials, child abusers, you name it. And that would be fine.

It would be fine, if this was a story about vigilantism or twisted personal justice. It's not, though. This isn't a story about taking out the trash. It's about you being the blood soaked trash that's being made famous just for ratings. It's about you being such a monster that the media has made, or will make, you a celebrity of sorts. It's about media desensitization, the social politics of tragedy, the toxicity of fandoms and the public fascination with murder. I'd like to stay focused on this.

I'm hoping that, with a little work, characters can become more in line with the core themes of this chronicle without having to make any severe changes, but I'm not sure. Again, I started out with 4 very different concepts, and ended up with 4 Avengers with similar goals and even methods. That's not a great sign.

I'm really hoping that I've clearly communicated the problem here, so that everyone is on the same page and can actually enjoy this game for what it's intended to be.
                            Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

I'll rethink the concept a little, then. Expect a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X