Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruiting for a play-by-post Changeling: the Lost chronicle!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting for a play-by-post Changeling: the Lost chronicle!

So, I haven't gotten any good Lost - or any good STing - in my life in a long time. I figured, now's the time to change that! I've run other games in play-by-post and I've run Lost live, but I've never combined the two, so I figured, what the hey!

As a storyteller, I enjoy building a world that's effected not only by what the players do, but by what they've done in the past. Backgrounds are a requirement, and backgrounds with plenty of good hooks are a strong plus. Themes can change depending on the story, but I often include difficult choices and unforeseen consequences for the players' actions.

Now. Game recruitment seems to be a seller's market these days, so I'm going to be picky. I'm aiming to choose people with strong roleplaying, writing, and story-telling skills, because I want to tell an awesome story together. I'm more than a little bit of a grammar fascist, so if you're not 100% sure of your skills, spellcheck Is Your Friend. An ideal intro post will include your preferred playstyle, an example of character-based writing, and (just for fun) why you think you will triumph over your fellows.

Final game roster will be posted Friday, 10/3.

Edit: Recruitment is closed! Thanks to everyone!
    Last edited by HobbitGuy1420; 11-01-2014, 01:17 AM.

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    To make sure we comply with the forum's thread rules, I've created an OOC thread here.

Leave a comment:

• Dwyad
    replied
    http://invisiblecastle.com/search/?search=Malory+Grey

Right, so I can see stuff - two successes of stuff - but can't handle the dust. Not surprising.

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    www.InvisibleCastle.com

Leave a comment:

• ATwannabe
    replied
    What dice roller do we use again?

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    In this case, just Stamina.

Leave a comment:

• Dwyad
    replied
    "A Perception roll" is Wits+Composure, but what's "a Stamina roll" in this context? Just Stamina? Stamina+Resolve? Stamina+Athletics?

And, though I'd rather not bring a debate to the OOC thread, yeah, I don't buy "all kiths are equally broken". All kiths CAN be broken with enough GM favor, but some clearly require more favor than others. For example, it's much easier to use "scary" or "alluring" or "really perceptive" in the context of a typical game than it is to use "able to endure poison, slightly better at scavenging."

A Roteater can still be effective, by, say, preparing a poisoned meal for an enemy and eating with him to prove it's safe, but opportunities to do that just aren't going to come up as often as opportunities to talk to people or notice things.

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    Not right now, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
    The issue with the Shadowsoul is that it gets 3 kith benefits, where most get one or two at most. In addition, several of those benefits are more powerful than other kiths' entire benefit, let alone singular powers.
    In game, I've never had one be "too powerful". All of them are how you play them really. A muse, with the right connection, can rule the world in the background of a powerful man/woman for instance. Is there room for one more?

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/g...nseen-costs-ic !

Game on!
    Last edited by HobbitGuy1420; 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thrythlind
    replied
    Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420

Thry, I think your math looks okay, but I'm iffy on an occult spec in Hunters *and* contacts with Hunter organizations, especially as you say the character knows only "just the tip of the iceburg" when it comes to Hunterdom.

Oh, and Cowardice isn't a Vice in this edition of the New World of Darkness. It has to be Sloth, Gluttony, Lust, Wrath, Pride, Greed, or Envy. Take a look at http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod2...eationVic.html for the descriptions. I could see Sloth (avoiding danger or risk by making others do your work) or Envy (because that Fetch took your life, gorramit), but the choice is ultimately yours.
    Cowardice is listed as an alternate version of Sloth in the original WoD core book and is more accurate so I went with that.

As to the contacts, I'll switch it to gamers. Makes things easier.

And then I'm ready.

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    OK. Got the first post ready to put up as soon as I get confirmation from Thry. Dwy, are you going to keep the Lifting spec, or would you like to swap it out for something that'll see more use?

Leave a comment:

• Dwyad
    replied
    Sheet's fix'd, lost a point of underworld contracts.

Leave a comment:

• HobbitGuy1420
    replied
    City background: The Freehold of Zephyr's Kiss

Chicago has been a hub of transportation since long before the White Man showed up - it combines flat country (with easy access to ground travel) with access to the shipping lanes of the Great Lakes, and now boasts two major airports. The Lost know that this is true in the Hedge, as well. There are nearly half again as many Hedge Gates in Chicago as one might expect in a city of its size, and that's not even factoring in the suburbs. It's hard to keep track of all of those Hedge Gates and the Trods they open onto, and even the most diligent Autumn Rangers have only a fraction of them mapped. This easy access means that there are a large number of escaped Changelings who can find their ways home in Chicago, leading to a large, robust Freehold. Unfortunately, it also means that the Kindly Ones have an easy time finding new toys to replace the ones they lose. Nobody knows for certain how many people disappear from the streets every day, but some murmur that the number is distressingly high.

The Freehold of Zephyr's Kiss tries to prevent such things, when it can. It's a very large Freehold, with more than 70 members to its name. The Courts seem relatively evenly represented - although in the case of Winter, that's mostly speculation. The Freehold maintains a massive Hollow in the Hedge: a massive castle, shaped like the Sears Tower (no local Chicagoan will call it the Willis Tower, no matter what's on the label) but at least a mile in height. The castle's spire wavers in the wind, but never seems quite unbalanced enough to fall.

The Summer King of Chicago is Maxim Katch, an Ogre Render with heavy ties to the city's unions, especially the construction workers' union. He does his best to make sure that construction stays as troublesome as possible, feasting on the road rage and trusting to the Hedge for transportation. His court is relatively laissez faire, as Summer goes. He makes sure every member has a burner cell phone on them at all times. If that phone rings, you'd better answer it and do what he says. Otherwise, he rarely interferes.

Leading the Autumn Court is a figure known only as the Nameless. A tall, skeletally thin figure in hedgespun robes of shadow and terror, the Nameless never lets anybody see his face. Twenty years ago, he met in parley with one of the True Fae as a member of the Legacy of the Black Apple. Nobody knows what they discussed, but the Fae and his Armies left the next day, and from then on nobody could remember the Nameless's face or name. He spends most of his time in the Autumn Court's own Hollow, a sprawling cavern complex. His lieutenant, a twin-kithed Darkling Antiquarian and Gravewight known as Anthony Malcalling, handles most of the day-to-day business of the Court - though Anthony insists that he has no wish to take the crown.

Winter's queen, White Lucy, keeps her court organized like a subversive cell. While some of the members are easily recognizable as Winter due to the strength of their Mantle or a lack of ability to disguise the signs in their Mein, a surprising number masquerade as Courtless Lost, Ensorcelled mortals - or even, many suspect, as false members of the other Courts. Each Winter courtier only knows the true identity of a small handful of these hidden members - only White Lucy knows all of them. While the other courts look askance at some of Winter's methods, they can't deny that the myriad bolt-holes and hidden supply dumps the court maintains have saved lives and freedom many times before.

The Spring King, Larry Hoggs, owns an italian beef truck - and keeps track on his court from the streets. A fat, jovial Broadback Beast, King Larry is everyone's best friend, always free with a sandwich and a smile for members of the Freehold. His cheerful manner and frequently-stained shirts hide a keener mind than many expect from his Court and Seeming, and it's said that he has uncalled favors and ongoing pledges with high-ranking members of all three of the other Courts. Larry's also a part-owner of a number of bars, restaurants, and clubs throughout the city, and each one has a room somewhere that the Lost can meet in unmolested.
    Last edited by HobbitGuy1420; 10-29-2014, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ATwannabe
    replied
    Hello. Yes - union was not meant to indicate the hunter group. Freddy is in the tollway worker's union. Excited - looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X