[Recruitment][Exalted 2.5] Forging a Nation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. Backing 5 (Polis Crime Syndicate), Contacts 3 (Beggar, Corrupt Cop, Merchant), Followers 3, Influence 2 - that would cost 8bp in addition to all your Background dots, but you have full control of the local criminal underworld, three major contacts and +3 dice for finding information, a hundred of "elite soldiers" level extras to act as your personal loyal troops, and everyone who matters knows your name... Doable, if expensive.

RE: house rules; if this to be a mixed game involving Solars... Would it be possible to convince you to consider making the BP/xp costs paid by other splats the same as Solar costs? It's just kind of annoying to pay 10 bp for Essence 3 when a Solar pays only 7 for no real good reason. Just a consideration.
    You forgot Resources 3-4 at least. But I'll concede the point. It is doable, albeit in an expensive manner.

As for the house rule, I'll consider it. I'm going to have to look and see exactly what costs will be changed and how, but I'll get an answer to y'all as soon as I can.

Comment

I have a couple of ideas here, I think.

First off, I've got a couple of Solar ideas. Chiyoko, a Zenith Caste who's basically inspired by Shrine Maidens in her look, at the very least. I was going to wait until 3e before really trying to find a game for her, but...

Here's the pic I have of her.

(Artist is Kasanip from Giant in the Playground Forums)

The other idea I currently have is a Sidereal Exalted Chosen of Battles, who was a member of the Bronze Faction before falling in love with either a Solar or a Lunar, and changed her factional allegiance to either the Gold or Silver faction- depending, of course, on which Exalted type her lover is. Again, pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
        RE: house rules; if this to be a mixed game involving Solars... Would it be possible to convince you to consider making the BP/xp costs paid by other splats the same as Solar costs? It's just kind of annoying to pay 10 bp for Essence 3 when a Solar pays only 7 for no real good reason. Just a consideration.
        Back to this- after consideration, I will allow this. Henceforth, in this game all PC exalts will use the same base BP/xp costs. Note that I'm saying BASE cost. If a background or something says that it increases costs (like Mentor for Sidereals, or Cult for DBs) that modification still takes effect, but off of the cost as if you were a Solar.

Originally posted by horngeek View Post
        I have a couple of ideas here, I think.
        Okay, despite saying earlier that I had tentatively closed recruitment, I did so in a way that could cause confusion. Horngeek, you're in. Those do look like awesome ideas. I look forward to seeing how they'll play out.
        Last edited by Noodle; 02-16-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Oh. Whoops.

Anyway, Sakura's (that's the current name of the Sidereal idea) lover would preferably be a PC if I go that route- I'm not sure whether I'll go for Sakura or Chiyoko.

The latter... well, I really do want to use that awesome character image, and she'd be very suited to a nation-building game (also, I have a firmer idea of Chiyoko's backstory). She's a former priestess of the goddess of a city in the general area of the Scavenger Lands- most likely one nearish Lookshy and very much aligned with it, which explains why she had to leave.

Comment

As much as I like my Sidereal idea, I just remembered how much I hate Arcane Fate and keeping track of resplendent destinies, so I'm probably gonna drop that idea. I'll try to come up with a replacement in a bit. I just don't feel like either of the ideas I have are particularly suited to the game at hand, so I will keep thinking.

There is a fourth idea, one that began its life as an Infernal, but I can't figure out how to translate it to the splats allowed. The underlying idea is the son of a Dragon-Blood whose father gave up on him when the kid didn't Exalt, so the son decided to corrupt and destroy the Immaculate Faith because he felt the Dragons owed him an Exaltation. He Exalted as an Infernal and now has more power than any Dragon-Blood ever has or could, and he wants to use that power to get revenge on his father and take his place astride the world; but he's conflicted because his anger stems from wanting to please his dad, and there's still love in there, and he can't figure out what to do with it.

The reason I'm having trouble translating this from an Infernal concept is the character is a monster in his own eyes, and he continues to be one not because it makes him happy but because his self-loathing is so reflexive it drives him to be something he hates. I think that is best expressed through an Infernal lens. I could do it with something else, but the son of a Dragon-Blood who becomes Anathema and has to deal with it is just...I don't know, I just can't figure out a way to do it that doesn't seem cliche and hokey. If you have any ideas on how to translate the concept to a permissible splat, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Oh. Whoops.

Anyway, Sakura's (that's the current name of the Sidereal idea) lover would preferably be a PC if I go that route- I'm not sure whether I'll go for Sakura or Chiyoko.

The latter... well, I really do want to use that awesome character image, and she'd be very suited to a nation-building game (also, I have a firmer idea of Chiyoko's backstory). She's a former priestess of the goddess of a city in the general area of the Scavenger Lands- most likely one nearish Lookshy and very much aligned with it, which explains why she had to leave.
              You could do that, but it would require another Player to agree to integrate their back-story with yours... which would be their decision, not mine.

Originally posted by JimB View Post
              As much as I like my Sidereal idea, I just remembered how much I hate Arcane Fate and keeping track of resplendent destinies, so I'm probably gonna drop that idea. I'll try to come up with a replacement in a bit. I just don't feel like either of the ideas I have are particularly suited to the game at hand, so I will keep thinking.

There is a fourth idea, one that began its life as an Infernal, but I can't figure out how to translate it to the splats allowed. The underlying idea is the son of a Dragon-Blood whose father gave up on him when the kid didn't Exalt, so the son decided to corrupt and destroy the Immaculate Faith because he felt the Dragons owed him an Exaltation. He Exalted as an Infernal and now has more power than any Dragon-Blood ever has or could, and he wants to use that power to get revenge on his father and take his place astride the world; but he's conflicted because his anger stems from wanting to please his dad, and there's still love in there, and he can't figure out what to do with it.

The reason I'm having trouble translating this from an Infernal concept is the character is a monster in his own eyes, and he continues to be one not because it makes him happy but because his self-loathing is so reflexive it drives him to be something he hates. I think that is best expressed through an Infernal lens. I could do it with something else, but the son of a Dragon-Blood who becomes Anathema and has to deal with it is just...I don't know, I just can't figure out a way to do it that doesn't seem cliche and hokey. If you have any ideas on how to translate the concept to a permissible splat, I'd appreciate it.
              He could very well be a Solar. Yeah. Allow me to elucidate.

So, he gets pissed of with the Dragons cause he didn't Exalt. Then, he goes out and starts doing ridiculous things, to PROVE to the Dragons that he's strong/tough/cool/worthy enough to be an Exalt. And, it turns out that he is, so the Unconquered Sun exalts him. Now, from what you said, it made it seem like he did believe in the Immaculate Philosophy, he just hated it for "abandoning" him. Now, if he exalts as a Solar, he would become, in his mind, a Demon. The worst sort of monster imaginable. Even as he learns that the Immaculate Philosophy is incorrect, his strict religious upbringing plants a seed in his subconscious mind that his power, no matter how he uses it, is deeply, fundamentally wrong.The fact that he's allying with other Anathema could be enough to give him a strong sense of disquiet.

That's how I would do it, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                I'm actually considering running my Lunar as a Dynastic Scion myself (House Ledaal, Represent) who exalted as a Lunar while desperately trying to prove to the Dragons that she was worthy by going on suicidal pilgrimages to Ledaal family temple-shrines in the Scavenger Lands. Her divided loyalties to her new-found mentor and the Silver pact and her House was going to be a main contention of conflict for her, but also provide a sense of unique perspective. For instance, she's influenced by Realm tactics and mannerisms, and is not totally bigoted to DBs. Indeed, one of her plans for her Thousand Streams River experiment is to prove to her peers that cultivating DBs within a nation isn't a recipe for disaster.

That said, I really enjoy the synergy of GSPs and the betrayal that being a discovered Anathema within the Scarlet Dynasty provides. I'd really enjoy seeing that work. While its not up to me, I wouldn't mind. However, be warend: I did something similar, in my last game, where I played a Slayer who was found newly returned from her training and not entirely certain on her loyalties, and decided to play the field a bit. This earned her a Sidereal "Parole Officer" and a lot of supervision from the Gold Faction. (This really wasn't as bad as it sounds. It kinda developed into a buddy cop situation whereby my parole officer and I rampaged across Hell and generally got into mischief in the South-East.) However, should you go this route, I imagine such a situation will be presented to you.

@Fallen Ecco: Thanks, I appreciate that. Let's all take a moment to mourn that which has passed.
                Last edited by Dietaku; 01-05-2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I only saved a sliver...many things were lost forever...including several Yozi/Infernal charm sets.
                  I did get 3 or 4 ones for the Black Boar though ^^

Anyway, back to topic, I'm having a little trouble dealing with Glass Walker (the Eclipse I'm trying to build.). There are a couple of bits in his back-story that I feel need to be fleshed out more, and I don't seem to have enough Charms. But seeing as how I did not see him as much of a fighter, (more of a deal-maker) the lack of a perfect defense doesn't bother me much. Given the nnumber of people coming from the Realm though, I'm not sure if I need a Contact there anymore.

Concept pic (Spearman by Anto Juricic)
                  I admit, it looks more like a DB than a Solar, but it fits the image in my head.
                  Last edited by FallenEco; 01-05-2014, 11:14 PM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

@Horngeek: I'm down for having my Lunar being your Siddie's special someone, if you're okay with an "open" relationship. I like the Solar priestess concept, too, though. That's a neat picture.

@FallenEco: I'm having the same issue, albeit with a lack of neat persuasion tricks AND having a basic DBT suite. Also, your choice of weapons is neat. Dire Lances need love, too. I wouldn't be too worried about having any PDs, as I ran a Lunar in one of Noodle's games without one for the entire chronicle.

I have my back-story ironed out. I'll post it next time, though. I'm running low on time.

Comment

@Dietaku: That would actually be EXTREMELY interesting, given Sakura's concept as ex-Bronze faction. There'd be a possibility of the pair trying to find a 'middle ground' so to speak between the Realm, returning Solars and the Lunars (although Chiyoko would be down for something like that too- she's very much about proving the Solars don't have to be monsters). And yes, Sakura would be fine with an 'open' relationship.

Speaking of Sakura...

...oh. Um.

Does anyone have a copy of Wind-Cutting Blade Style hanging around somewhere? Now the Wiki's gone, it's... kinda gone too. And Sakura was going to be using that style.

Chiyoko's easier, she uses Crane Style with some Solar Hero style (incidentally, my fanon 'formalised name' for that one is Fist of the Daystar Style).

Comment

Hey Horngeek, are you leaning toward the Zenith idea? Omicron mentioned thinking he and I could have some character synergy if I ran with my Zenith, and I'd like to know if I need to start altering things (he could be an Eclipse without too much work...).

Comment

Currently, I'm flip-flopping between the two. Let me just pull up your Zenith Concept- after all, two members of the same Caste can be very different.

...given your Zenith idea has the concept of 'Mafia Don', I imagine they will be anyway. Actually, the idea of the two Zeniths with (I imagine) VERY different outlooks interacting is starting to lean me towards Chiyoko. :P

But yeah. I could, potentially, build Sakura with Violet Bier of Sorrows Style, but I'd rather not if I can find a copy of Wind-Cutting Blade Style. That might be enough to cross her out if I can't find WCBS, to be honest (although Dietaku, Chiyoko and your Lunar could still have a very interesting interplay, given that Chiyoko rather likes the base concept of the Realm).

Comment

Currently, I'm flip-flopping between the two. Let me just pull up your Zenith Concept- after all, two members of the same Caste can be very different.
                            Yeah. The main conceit behind Jagger as a character for me is whom is chosen to be a Solar. Lunars are chosen from survivors; Sidereals are chosen from those destined to learn the importance of this or that aspect of fate; Dragon-Blooded are chosen from those who have enough of the right blood. Solars are chosen from leaders. I wanted to play with that idea, with how someone who is chosen to be a priest-king controlling the hearts and faith of the multitudes could have gained the skills and qualifications for that role without having the nobility one would think would be inherent to such a figure.

I ended up with a mafioso.

I just like playing with a game's expectations, and that's where Jagger came from. I can still play with expectations some by making him an Eclipse--Eclipses value harmony, and Jagger values harmony more than most because, as a criminal, he knows discord is both hard on the organization's bank accounts and dangerous for the organization's employees--but I think it's more fun as a Zenith.

I could, potentially, build Sakura with Violet Bier of Sorrows Style, but I'd rather not if I can find a copy of Wind-Cutting Blade Style.
                            Isn't that style sexy? I love it. Just in case you didn't know, though, not real long before the old forums died, Holden kind of disavowed it, saying it wasn't very good. He didn't explain why, which bummed me out (it also bummed me out that no one ever updated it for Alchemicals and Infernals), but I just thought you should know.

Comment

I respectfully disagree with Holden on this matter. :P

But yeah, I don't have a copy of it saved.

Comment

I have narrowed down my concept some.

The character is a Sidereal, Chosen of Journey/Serenity (probably the latter), who wears a Revelation Blindfold at all times. Her cover identity is that of a goze, a wandering blind musician, though many who know her understand that she is actually an advisor of some kind to the powerful who can hire her. In truth, she is a member of a Gold Faction, sent to the Hundred Kingdoms to survey and advise a newborn Solar (current plans are that he be JimB's character), and to help strengthen the region as it faces outsider forces.

Mechanically, aside from always-on AESS, the character would mostly have a social and martial focus. She has Performance and Presence Charms, and tries to influence people subtly without them realizing it... Or she brings out the kickass against those who prove too much of a hurdle.

At this point I am mostly stuck on elements of aesthetics and choice of style. I could have her use Artifact war fans with Crane Style (she would probably be a technical pacifist who punches people to teach them to be better persons), I could have her be an unarmed singer using Silver-Voiced Nightingale and playing an Unsurpassed Sanxian, or I could have her be an Ivory Pestle Stylist wielding an Artifact staff/flute and using ghost-slaying Charms to put the dead to rest; the country seems like it might need it.

I am not sure which would be best/coolest. I am also toying with the idea of her having the Oathbound merit as a representation of her devotion to the Maidens having led her to take a specific vow that restricts her behavior. Not sure which, though.

Any opinion/advice?

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Working...
                                X