Gauging Interest: (Chronicles of) Dark Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging Interest: (Chronicles of) Dark Tournament

So, I've been revisiting an old favorite anime, YuYu Hakusho. And I just can't get the idea out of my head of a massive Chronicles of Darkness crossover PvP PbP tournament in the style of so many Shonen anime. I realize it's pure silly nonsense, but I eat that shit up. I can help it. So, I figured, what the hell? There have got to be at least a few folks out there as massively dorky as me who would find this kind of madness appealing. So what say you? Anybody else down for some good ol' over-the-top senseless PvP violence?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

That sounds pretty crazy to me, id read it!
    Hakusho is in my top 3 anime for sure.

Comment

You know I'm actually surprisingly into that idea.

Comment

While I'm not quite willing to commit yet, I'm interested.

Comment

What good is a game if you can't have some good ol' silly fun every now and again? I'm so down for this!

Comment

Something like this could theoretically involve a *lot* of players, but I also figure if we can get at least 5 or 6 players, maybe willing to run multiple characters, that could work too.

Something that will have to be considered as well is what edition to use. Personally, I much prefer the second edition system. On the other hand, 1st edition has a lot more published options for things like Fighting Styles and Z-Splats. Either way there are a few templates that wouldn't be available without some conversion work, though. That's a bridge we can cross when we come to it, once we've got a better idea what the player base is going to look like, but it's something to consider.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I'd love to play this, provided we use 1st edition. I prefer it over 2e and there's the benefit of having a lot more published material for it. But it's your game, so you make the call.

Comment

This is relevant to my interests, and I would be very interested in playing a character (or more!) in a game/contest/thing like this. I personally prefer 2e mechanics (better balanced), but it would cut a few splats out (depending on when it got run).

Comment

I'm not so much interested in the idea, but more I'm interested in see how the mechanics will work in action. I don't know why but now that I'm thinking about it a death battle with re spawns would sounds like a fun game but utterly silly fun. Like pick up a toon, play a week, figureout how it works, putting down when I think of something else. then restarting next time with a different toon.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by MercSet View Post
                    I'm not so much interested in the idea, but more I'm interested in see how the mechanics will work in action. I don't know why but now that I'm thinking about it a death battle with re spawns would sounds like a fun game but utterly silly fun. Like pick up a toon, play a week, figureout how it works, putting down when I think of something else. then restarting next time with a different toon.
                    That would be interesting, though not really what I was aiming for with this. That might be something to consider for how to deal with keeping players involved when their characters die or are eliminated though.

Comment

OH, So maybe at first glance I didn't get the idea. So you're thinking of running, This is the story of the tournament not this game is the tournament? More inline with an anime of dramatic conflicts and special moves, than a tactical battle crunch?

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by MercSet View Post
                        OH, So maybe at first glance I didn't get the idea. So you're thinking of running, This is the story of the tournament not this game is the tournament? More inline with an anime of dramatic conflicts and special moves, than a tactical battle crunch?
                        Oh yeah, if I just wanted to simulate 1v1 combat I could do that with a dice roller. I'm more interested in running a story for a large group of players that focuses on an anime-style fighting tournament. It would be pretty atypical for a WoD story, with much less focus on horror and drama and much more focus on action and player-versus-player conflict. Ideally, I would like for most or all of the combatants to be player characters, and I would serve as ST and referee.

Comment

But what is the prize? :O

(mildly curious)

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                          Work Blog Coming Soon
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Also, dibs on Kurama.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                            Work Blog Coming Soon
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              But what is the prize? :O

(mildly curious)
                              Well, in Dark Tournament tradition, I suppose the winning team could have a wish granted to each member? I'm open to suggestions.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              Also, dibs on Kurama.
                              I did have you pegged for a Kurama type. He should be my favorite character, given that his perfect storm of traits that I love in anime characters. And he would be, if it weren't for Hiei.

Comment

Working...
                              X