[Recruitment] Chained In Nightmares - Homebrew Exalted 2.5 Play-By-Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Recruitment] Chained In Nightmares - Homebrew Exalted 2.5 Play-By-Post

This game is a playtest for my supplement Masters of the Industrial Elements, so apologies to those expecting a game about Exalts. This game will feature the Stonebearers, mortals who have risked their lives to wrestle the power of an Autochthonian Elemental into submission. Specifically, this game will follow the adventures of a group of Stonebearers from the Thundering Falls Tribe, a once-prosperous tribe who now find themselves struggling to survive at the edges of a massive blight zone. I'm looking for around six players for this game, but I may take more or less, depending on the quality of submissions.

Some information about me: I'm a very sandboxy Storyteller. I'm fairly sure that any plot I think of will be derailed within a scene or two and that you will have ideas that are better than what I was thinking of anyway and I'm fine with that. I am also somewhat bad at dangling plot hooks. Combined, this means that my players should expect to come up with their own course of action from time to time and should feel free to improvise something.

Prospective players should create starting Domini characters as per the default rules. If you want to use gear from outside of core or the MoIE book, including items from MoEP:Alchemicals, or custom items, please check with me before counting on them. I'd love to work out a custom Binding Stone or other artifact with you and I'm probably going to say yes to most things, but Monofilament Scourges and Gyroscopic Chakrams probably won't make it in due to the Taken's low-tech aesthetics. Your character should have a backstory that covers what s/he does in the tribe and why s/he decided to risk his/her life to become a Dominus. Don't feel the need to write a novel - the best backstories are long enough to cover the important stuff and short enough to keep it interesting. If you have in mind any cool things you would like your character to be able to do or achieve in the course of play, feel free to include those.

Players should feel free to raise any complaints they want about any of my homebrew or my Storytelling. I won't hold it against you and this is a playtest - finding problems, hiccups, and inconsistencies is the point.

I won't be making decisions about who is in for a couple of weeks. I'd like people to not feel the need to rush.

• Belkra
    replied
    Yeah, PM works. Let's see what kind of magic we can work here.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    I've finally got an IC thread up for us. We'll probably need to use Invisible Castle for dice rolls. Since there's only two of us, you can just PM me instead of needing an OOC thread.

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    I would like to propose the mentor be called Whil Dixon. His rank would have been high enough to be in command of some guards, but not high enough that he wouldn't be expected to be in the field. Think what we would call an enlisted man in the US military. For instance, the many ranks of Sergeant that can be found in the United States Marine Corps.

His personality would definitely be a gruff one. He would be the biggest jerkwad and deliberately tough on those he commands because he expects great things of them. He expects great things because he honestly believes in them. Don't ask him to admit that within earshot of them, though. He is like that uncle that would give you a kick in the seat of your pants when you screwed up not because he wants to punish you, but because he honestly thinks he can make you a better person through aversion treatment. "You done goofed! Now you have to spend a few rounds in the brawling circle with me." This incidentally allows him to turn you into a better fighter in the pretense of disciplining you.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Alright, I think I have an initial arc worked out. Any last input on the mentor? Name? Personality? General rank in the guards?

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    Other than the coordination of construction projects, I couldn't see anything that would require people to be active at the same time either. I guess that just means that Alek would sign up for the shifts where the guard was spread thinnest so he could try and fill a breach.

As far as construction goes, I would say that building walls for the village/city most of the tribe finds themselves in and the housing for all of them would require a concerted effort. The 'pearl' diving would most likely be able to be done at any time. Smaller groups would probably be better for that sort of thing anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    I'm trying to conceptualize what an off-shift would look like in a world with no day/night cycle. Unless most people needed to be active at the same time for some reason at regular intervals, I'd figure that things would be happening around the clock. Can you think of any large projects that would happen often enough that most people would be on roughly the same rhythm?

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    Sorry about the late post, but I wanted to spend some time really thinking about this before posting it.

Alek prefers to work off-shifts for his guard duty. This is what we would call "graveyard" shift, midnights, or third shift. So, his day would start a few hours before that when he wakes up and has a small bite to eat. A basic workout of what we would call Cardio would follow. He would then check up on his brother's family and run an errand or two for them if needed.

He would show up early for his allotted time patrolling/standing guard so he could get a status report and ensure a clean and secure change of the guard. When relieved for a break he will take only long enough to have a small lunch and then get back to it. At the end of his shift he will give a full status report to the relieving guard without concern for how late he will leave the site.

If he gets any recreation in it will either be spent seeing that the men under his command are able to kick back but not go wild, or play with and teach his brother's children. Many would say he sleeps too little, but he doesn't seem to mind or be affected by it. Since becoming an Ironsoul, this has become more noticeable.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    What do you see your character's daily routine being like?

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    I was hoping the mentor could be the one that trained him for his duty as a guard. He decided to keep an eye on the kid and actively help him because he was of the opinion that the kid (Alek) showed promise and had, '...more heart than any ten of my other students combined.' He may or may not be a Dominus. I'll leave that to you to decide.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Considering how much interest we're getting, maybe we should consider running this as a solo game.

What's the story of how your character met up with his mentor?

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    Alright, Alek should be good to go now. Here's hoping we can get some interest going so I can actually get the guy stuck in to a melee.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    For the Awareness specialty, perhaps "While On Watch" would work.

And, yes, generally your gear is at your Resources rating or below.

Leave a comment:

• Belkra
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback! You've helped me keep the character concept I had in mind and allowed me some things that make for an easier time of things and afford more optimization. Let's address these concerns in order. (You should be able to see the changes reflected in the sheet.)

First, I made the corrections you suggested and freed up the bonus points for other things. It would make sense that the character would gain the Integrity points after becoming a Dominus and therefore use bonus points for them.

Second, I changed the specialties. The one for Presence is as you suggested, but the one for Awareness is a little more tricky. Essentially I want the guy to have a bonus to awareness when he is doing what he does best, standing guard or patrolling. If that has to be two different specialty purchases I will go with one and free up a bonus point to get the other.

Third, the low Dexterity score was something I decided I wanted to start. It gives the character room to grow and I am not necessarily worried that much about optimization as I am about telling a good story. If the character is memorable because his Dexterity is crappy, I consider that a good thing.

Fourth, this is pretty much the same as the last point. I want him to be rough around the edges, at least at the start of things.

Fifth, I realize that I could probably spend this specialty on my Metal Bolt Attack charm, but I think I will leave it as is because of concept reasons.

Sixth, thanks to bonus point optimizations this is done. Two in Resources and one in Artifact so I can actually make use of the Trophy Stone.

Seventh, the intimacies are fixed. Admittedly I was having trouble finding things to put in this category, but after thinking about it a little more there are no problems.

The only thing that is needed now is equipment. I understand that the rule from Core is that I can have a small number of items to start and none of these items may cost more than my Resources background. So, a breastplate is a go, but super heavy plate is right out.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Alright.

I like the backstory for the most part. The only bit out of place is the bit about the surgeon - the surgeon has no direct influence over a Dominus' chance of success in mastering an elemental. Also, 8+ Willpower is certainly common in char-op, but your character's willpower is exceptionally high from an IC stand point.

Mechanics-wise, I have some concerns.

First, are you aware that you can probably get the same Ability list as you have for 3 bonus points cheaper? Use freebie dots for Investigation, Survival, and Thrown and then buy your Resistance or Integrity dots with bonus points for half the price.

Second, you could change your Specialty in Inspiring Troops to Inspiring Others if you wanted and you probably should change Countering Stealth to something a little more specific, like Ambushes.

Third, are you sure you only want Dexterity 2? It's sort of the god-stat of combat. I can see why you have Stamina 4, but you could probably drop a dot of Strength without feeling it too much.

Fourth, are you sure you want both Charisma 3, Manipulation 3, and Appearance 1? Charisma and Manipulation are hard to leverage at the same time and Appearance is pretty key in social MDV values.

Fifth, are you sure you want to use a Focus Talent purchase on Resisting Poison? It's one of the only ways to increase your Excellency cap (right now, you can buy 1 die) and you only get three of them per Excellency. I can certainly see resisting poison as useful, especially given the local environment, but I feel I should double check that you've considered the ramifications.

Sixth, I think you could do with Resources 1 as you are not literally penniless and you would have great use for a jade hearthstone amulet or artifact weapon

Seventh, I think you should change your Intimacy from Great Maker to Machine King (the Taken's term for him) and should drop the Intimacies to the Divine Ministers and to the Octet. While I mentioned them heavily, I don't think that the Taken are aware of the Divine Ministers or the Octet as such. The Taken, as far as my conception of them goes, are aware that the Machine King has his faithful mortal servants (they term them "slaves") but are not aware of what their current organization is. They also probably have lumped the Divine Ministers in with the rest of the exmachina as the spawn of the Machine King.

On the whole, I think you are looking pretty solid. I don't think I'll have much trouble motivating your character with the plot I have in mind. Don't feel you have to change everything I pointed out - most of it is just me making sure you are aware of the mechanical ramifications of your choices.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X