Chronicles of Darkness communities ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles of Darkness communities ?

Are there any organizations or communities that promote Chronicle of Darkness games? Either as Larps or connected TT games? I see tons of communities for VTM and old world games lines and just wanted to see what is out there for the Chronicles of Darkness love

Same problem here, no luck in finding a Hangout or roll20 so far.

Comment

Sadly, us Chronicles fans are a niche subgroup of an already niche fandom.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        This is a shame, I played most of my life D&D and just recently broadened my spectrum of roleplay systems and CoD is right up my alley. No leveling, no classes, character developement being highly individual and a very intruiging urban setting.
        So far my only contact with practical experience playing CoD has been watching a handful of youtube videos. I'm itching to play some myself but my irl group is enarmoured with D&D so no luck there.
        If there should be a roll20 or hangout group out there open to new players, I'd apreciate any offer.

Comment

Its the GM curse. you're always running the game you want to play in.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by MercSet View Post
            Its the GM curse. you're always running the game you want to play in.
            What's worse (imo) is that once you start GMing, it gets harder and harder to go back to playing. Not just because your group begins to expect it of you (though that is part of it), but because even when you do get a chance to be a player, you start noticing the techniques of other GMs you play with. It's like watching movies after going to film school; once you've seen behind the curtain, some of the mystique is lost.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. Last night for the first time in ages, I was a player in a Mage game rather than the ST. Our ST had us run though our awakenings and I immediately noticed what he was doing, but didn't want to point it out because the other players didn't catch it. I awoke as an Acanthus, another awoke as a Thrysus. The Thrysus was challenged to a game of chance by a tall overly thin cloaked figure while I was challenged by a lion made of plant material. I noticed straight away that I had an awakening more typical to a Thrysus and he had one more typical to an Acanthus. :P

Comment

Charlaquin
                Gullinbursti

Yeah I've seen that. In myself and other GMs. But its not all bad actually. After GMing for a while I started to really understand how much work good gms put into their games. And it sort of became an appreciation thing. I gained a lot of respect for the art. And yeah I see the patterns. But I believe that comes out of being more genera savy, and experience. When I see something well done I enjoy it. Its like there's nothing new under the sun. How many times have we see a tale of the underdogs defeating the empire? Plenty, but you remember the ones who can execute it well.

I kind of look at the game on three levels now. (not exhaustive, not listed in terms of importance, but a good starting point for what I'm trying to say.)
                1) How much time and effort has this gm gone to? You've got to respect someone who puts in hours and a little of themselves into the game. I can Respect this as a form of Dedication

2)The craft. Can they present their product well? Some people do voices well, Some people do world building well, and some do combat well, some people do plot points well. If I notice something that is clearly impressive thats a feather in the Gm's cap, and can demonstrate how much they've learned/ are willing to learn in the craft. This hobby is like the collection of a few hundred crafts, acting, writing, drawing, Math and Statistics, Reading people, empathy, subtlety. I can Appreciate this as a form of Art.

3) How well can they make buy in. This is the harder one. And you've got to look at yourself and ask, What do I enjoy about tabletop? For me its the story/characters and problem solving. If a gm tells an interesting story and hits those notes, I find myself engaged and plugged into the session. which increases my enjoyment. This is the YES more of this level of the game which is hard to get to sometimes.

Its taken me a bit of thinking and a bit of reflection to figure out how I can present my situation. A while ago, I'd been sort of drifting in terms of games and noticing a decline in my local pool, A combination of stuff not working out, and not finding what I'm looking for in gms and players. Not to say I didn't have fun running and playing just that I did notice the same patterns as described, just not what I'm looking for. (sidenote I hate the USI ooc types. In this hobby that can go to bad places) I did find a game that I notice the gm really putting in work into it, and really hit the notes I was looking for.

There are bad GMs, Learning GMs. Good GMs and excellent GMs. and there are GMs that really hit what you're looking for. This is not meant as a criticism to anyone here. And I'm not trying to put anyone down. Just looking at what I enjoy and what kind of game I'm in the mood for. When you find a gm that really hits home what you're looking for in a game, you keep that contact information and work with him/her/them. You'll thank yourself later down the line.
                Last edited by MercSet; 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM.

Placeholder

Comment

Yo
                  We've just started this week so everyone is in flux but if your interested.....

https://www.tavern-keeper.com/campaign/1779/latest

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    Surely we aren't so niche!

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrics Of War View Post

Surely we aren't so niche!
                      At least online there is no group to be found and I searched in quite some communities. If you know an active community with spots for new players I'd appreciate every info.

Comment

I know there at least pockets of groups that play. I am in 3 different games with 2 different sets of friends. One online one in person. There are always lots of people applying to 2E vampire games on Roll20 and Giantip forums... So few people want to Run the games though. that is always across the board in RPGames.

Comment

The Dead Gamers Society in the Los Angeles area is a table top RPG club and we play lots of Chronicles of Darkness games. If you are in the L.A. area, look us up.

http://www.meetup.com/Dead-Gamers-Society/

Organizer for the Dead Gamers Society: The So Cal World of Darkness Meetup. http://www.meetup.com/Dead-Gamers-Society/

Comment

Working...
                          X