Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OOC] The Curious Case of Gloria Margaret Calloway (MtAw 2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic In addition to what the others pointed out allready: As freshly awakened (it happened within the last week leading up to the start of the chronicle iirc) we also won't have been initiated (or as I read it even have contact with?) an order. So no rotes, no high speech, no order status at game start.

Tambov Coins are yantras for : "[...]represent construction, repair, and inanimate or intangible things that last beyond mere human lifespans." Which should fit an alchemist just fine. Honestly if you go with that route, I'd go for a coin as the original present and turn it into a leaden stygian oboli. Given the heavy connotations of the path this probably should count as a path yantra for all spells of your ruling arcana. Also would make for a nice dedicated tool for a moros.

If you go with the other (mine etc.) route the only question is why Glorias death hit you so hard, since you seem to think the two of them wouldn't have had much in common. Childhood friend? Crush?

Dusksage Well that's sad. For what I had in mind for my char it'd been great if he could have taken a look at the corpse with mage sight... But I'm not sure he'd illegally exhume her just to do it.

Edit : I'll vote for number 1 settingwise.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
      Wow, love the ideas and passion behind your concept Basic.

There are just a few complications though, one mechanical which is an easy fix, the others more thematic and inbuilt into Langley Falls.

1) Each player will be making freshly awakened PCs so they will have no Order and their Arcana will be starting out less. I know one of the other players has the exact metrics so if you wouldn't mind puting that up I can add it to the description.

2) Langley Falls is a small tourist town in either New England or Massachusets, and is relatively low tech in some places. That being said, an investment in the Space Arcana could make him more of a reality hacker who traces the code of corespondence and sympathy to uncover secrets otherwise well hidden. Again, love the idea but this might not be the best setting for the concept as is.

3) I thought the Familiar Merit only worked for Spirits, Ghosts, or Goetia? I know there's a Supernal Familiar Merit in Summoners but I feel you would need a Mentor to unlock something like that out the gates. Also, the Familair would need to parallel your Awakening in some way so as long as it does that it can potentially have any form you want.

Other than that, Gloria was 17 when she died. But she did have friends from all walks of school life so we have room to make a group of budding hacktivists.
      What if he is a hacker who also breaks into places to steal physical secrets. Ones a old town like this would keep offline. Then he spreeds it around digitally to youth.

Oh that's even better. I originally did not want to give him an order but thought I might need too. So I will change that. I also wanted to make him 16 to 18 but did not know what ages were good in game.

Also its not a real angel its a spirit that acts like angels from christian mythology. What is a Goetia ?
      The reason its an angel is because he was rised in a very heavy handed christian family and even though he calls himself an atheist he still leans on that up bringing now again. I thought it would also be funny to put an aesthetics face to face with an angel. The reason she can become of a fox is because of his nature for trying to b sly like a fox.

I was thinking with his control over forces even in a low tech town he could hack stuff that should not be able to be hacked like tv screens and stuff.

Also I have an image for the glove I put as one of tools. it allows him to see digital display on his hand and being he thinks magic circles are important to spells. He has programmed it with magical symbols]

I will have an updated sheet in a little bit.

Last edited by Basic; 01-14-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Here is the write up for my char.

Nick was going toward a bright future. Okay sure, his grades could have been better. He'd never
        been smart or really hard working, which made for a bad combination in regards to academia,
        but he knew how to get people to give him what he wanted and had a keen eye for figuring out
        what they wanted in return. In short he had everything he needed to get whatever he wanted out
        of life. His family, not poor but of humble means, were proud of their son when he managed to
        secure a stipend for college even though his performance in highschool was euphemistically
        speaking 'average'. They were less enthused when he dropped out in second semester. The worst
        part was that when they asked him why, he didn't really have a good awnser. Nick had been in
        school for most of his life and it sucked. College wasn't any better (except for the parties,
        those did get decidedly better, but you didn't REALLY need to be a college student to attend
        those) and he just felt like there needed to be a change without really understanding why.
        Sadly he didn't have any more of an idea what to do next, so he hit the road, travelled the
        country and worked whatever local job he could find for a while. His CV may have been shit,
        but he was good at interviews, so he usually found something. Eventually his path lead him to
        Langely Falls and he knew that this place'd be good for him. Sure it wasn't as exciting as the
        big cities, smaller and more settled. Presenting the world an allmost boring demeanor. But it
        was a nice change of pace and he noticed quickly there was more to this place than met the eye.
        Some people show strange behavior, the lawns are far too green, to him it felt like he walked
        right into that little english town from Hot Fuzz. He quickly found (boring) work at a local
        convinience store and slightly more exciting work helping out in a bar on weeknights.

After a few weeks he found out why he had felt right here. At a party he met her. Gloria was not
        love at first sight, in fact Nick wouldn't have been sure wether his feelings were romantic at
        all. They just seemed to click, even though they were quite different. She was gregarious and
        smart, he a self proclaimed 'observer of human character'. But both of then knew from the
        beginning that there was something between them. Neither could put a finger on what it was,
        but both knew it was there, an inexplicable bond that connected them. They agreed to meet again
        a few days later, at the pier, away from the crowd. When they parted that night Nick had a
        weird feeling. A nervosity that plagued him for the next few days, a hunch that something was
        wrong. But what? And hey even if he was right, what was he supposed to do about it anyway? Not
        like he even knew what was up. So he waited and when the day came showed up at the harbour.
        So did Gloria, but as a corpse being fished out of the bay. When he saw her lifeless body he
        could feel the bond that had connected them snap, a silvery thread flashing before his eyes.
        He tried to catch it, but it slid through his fingers, leaving only a burning sensation and was
        swallowed by the hole the bullet had left in her head, followed by any future they might have
        ever had. Like a puppet cut from his strings he fell to the ground. Three days later his he got
        cut loose at work. Tommrow he sits at home and drinks, tears streaking his eyes. He wakes up
        two days later to find that he just quit his job. He can't remember doing it at all. Wasn't he
        sitting home? Susie from the bar called in and thanked him for taking her shift on short notice.
        But he didn't. Did he forget? He makes his way over to the bar only to find himself standing
        behind the corner, laughing at a joke a patron made. He meets his own eyes, but they are filled
        with molten silver and a cruel grin spreads across his face. Someone squeezes past - or through
        him? - he can't tell. Nobody seems to notice him. A grating voice seems to taunt him in his
        head. "You lost your future allready, you don't deserve this life. Now the rest of it'll be
        mine." His head swims. He knows that voice. It is his own, but the modulation is wrong. When he
        opens up it's day again. He can't remember what he did in the last hours. Last day? Shit.
        He walks back to his flat, but notices he doesn't have the keys. He pounds the door with his
        fists and splinters drive himself into his fists, thorns tearing at skin, but the door will not
        yield. Tired and defeated he goes away, the next thing he knows he sits at the pier. At the
        point where he lost his destiny, his life. He doesn't know anymore what day it is, but he sat
        here for what felt like ages. Soft footsteps appear behind him. He sits down behind himself.
        "Don't take it so hard." says not-him. "You've had a good run, now you've screwed up and it's
        over for you. But you know what? It wouldn't have lasted anyway. Look, there. Can you see it?."
        Not-me points out towards the ocean. It's evening and thick mist has settled over the bay.
        Afar he can only barely make out the lighthouse, jutting from white wavering uncertainty like a
        silvery thorn. The mists broil and he can see his life summed up in them. His birth, his first
        kiss, his death. He sees himself toward the bar, showing up for his shift. He never walks back
        out. A small laughter escapes his lips. It's all so absurd. "You won't have to wait much
        longer.", not-him say. When he leaves I get dragged along by his shadows. That's all he is now,
        a shade of what could have been, but he looks over the infinite bay of possibility and the
        lighthouse beckons to him. Like a silvery thorn it reaches for the skies, to destinies yet
        unborn and he realizes: it doesn't have to be like this. The possibilities tear at his mind and
        something deep within him squirms. "There is nothing you can do, just let it happen!", a part of
        him squirms. He reaches deep within the shadow that is now him and tears until something comes
        loose. He tosses that part of him into the bay of unending possibility and smiles, just like
        not him. Day turns to dusk in a flash. Not-him gets his key. "Well it's been fun, but the time
        has come. I told you it wouldn't be long." Not-me says as if to himself. "No." the echo of his
        voice says from the shadow. Not-him stops, shaken by the certainty in the voice that should not
        be. "Check your phone.", the echo commands becoming louder. There is a message, from Susie,
        she'll cover my shift tonight. "I called her three days ago", he says, looking into the
        reflection on the screen that is not-me. "You've had a good run, but it's over now. I suppose it
        wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway, huh?" His words are made of iron and not-him screams
        as he shatters into a thousand pieces. And Nick laughs.

Sheet

Picture

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Tambov View Post
          Dusksage Flinty I think I could go with amulet being a, say, birthday present. Being connected with Gloria other then a classmate would be difficult, as the concept is a big nerd averse to large parties (which Gloria apparently frequents).

My idea was trying to supress shock about death by diving into chemistry extracurriculars (sp?), dream about an abandonned mine, go there, find strange piece of ore, requisition lab use after classes using Science skill (would that be allowed? do I need Persuasion instead?), and experiment on strange ore until well after school closes, and Awaken there. During this the strange ore would be melted into actual lead (if it's not extracted already) and become a wand.

Now that the amulet is on stage, it would only make sence for it to become a coin tool. I'd like to clarify which spells under Death 1, Matter 2 can benefit from the coin, because I'm having trouble understanding it (the use of coin as Tool Yantra).

Epicjester I actually hoped there would be someone who can produce Ectoplasm and cast Forensic Gaze with a Potency over 1 . Plus, it'd make sence for a homicide cop to become a Necromancer.

Basic You actually have too many rotes (4, adding up to 7 dots, so too many either way). Blunt weapons (like a baton) resonate with Stygia, not Aether. Your Familiar is also at peak strength for her Rank, you may want to tone it down a bit. Katanas have availiability 3 - where'd you get one? You also have 2 Aspirations extra. As freshly Awakened, your Arcana'd be Forces 2, Prime 1, as IIRC Dave said you Awaken with one Ruling Arcanum @ 1 and the other @ 2.

Edit: I'd like to hammer out what a Mutable Nimbus (TotW p. 86) means in game terms.

The baton is steel and I was counting it as a rod as per the book. Also I was just thinking because he a bit of a nerdy guy he would own one in his place. He has no skill for using it so its something he would not use but its just cool set dressing. Also I don't understand the whole Arcana thing only being allowed at 2. I thought it was at the levels they are for everyone at the start of the game. That's why I had my forces at 3 because some awakened just natrually good with some types of magic so I though he would just be good with forces.

I could lower her power from 6 to 4 and have her stats be 4 across the board.
          GM any advice on her influences

Being this character has gun but that is just for his home and not for him to carry around. I wanted his main weapon to be a paint ball gun for when he is breaking into a place and a stun gun. What would stats be for a paint ball gun ?
          Last edited by Basic; 01-14-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post

Also I was just thinking because he a bit of a nerdy guy he would own one in his place. He has no skill for using it so its something he would not use but its just cool set dressing.
            Katanas like these usually are a far cry in quality from an actual functional Katana. You could probably have a decorative one at resources 1, but it'd be no good for use as a weapon.

Also I don't understand the whole Arcana thing only being allowed at 2. I thought it was at the levels they are for everyone at the start of the game. That's why I had my forces at 3 because some awakened just natrually good with some types of magic so I though he would just be good with forces.
            The standart char creation rules are for mages who've "been around the block". Our chars will have awakened just about yesterday. So they had decidedly less time to develop their mastery of the arcana. So restricting it to 3 instead of 6 points of starting arcana makes alot of sense. Personally I would recommend forcing only 1 point to be spent in each of the ruling arcana and free up the last dot to be spend among one of the common arcana if so desired. In your case since you want to be good with forces it would make sense to spend the last dot in forces, bringing it up to 2. If you really want to have Forces 3, just spend your first 4 xp on it.

GM any advice on her influences
            Not the gm, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in anyhow If she is resembling a christian angel I would recommend her influence to be Faith or if she is associated with a specific virtue that virtue (e.g. Hope, Temperance, etc.)

Being this character has gun but that is just for his home and not for him to carry around. I wanted his main weapon to be a paint ball gun for when he is breaking into a place and a stun gun. What would stats be for a paint ball gun ?
            Why does your char has so many weapons? Keep in mind you awakened over the last week, did he allready keep so many weapons around when he was just a sleeper highschool student? Did you allready go on your liberation raids (if I understood that correctly) as a sleeper?

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post

Katanas like these usually are a far cry in quality from an actual functional Katana. You could probably have a decorative one at resources 1, but it'd be no good for use as a weapon.

The standart char creation rules are for mages who've "been around the block". Our chars will have awakened just about yesterday. So they had decidedly less time to develop their mastery of the arcana. So restricting it to 3 instead of 6 points of starting arcana makes alot of sense. Personally I would recommend forcing only 1 point to be spent in each of the ruling arcana and free up the last dot to be spend among one of the common arcana if so desired. In your case since you want to be good with forces it would make sense to spend the last dot in forces, bringing it up to 2. If you really want to have Forces 3, just spend your first 4 xp on it.

Not the gm, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in anyhow If she is resembling a christian angel I would recommend her influence to be Faith or if she is associated with a specific virtue that virtue (e.g. Hope, Temperance, etc.)

Why does your char has so many weapons? Keep in mind you awakened over the last week, did he allready keep so many weapons around when he was just a sleeper highschool student? Did you allready go on your liberation raids (if I understood that correctly) as a sleeper?

Yea he would hack into places all the time before he became awakened. He would sneak into company databases to post there wrong doings online. The gun this is in the background I'm writing up. He got the gun from his mother who works at the local police department. His mother taught everyone at the house the shoot and him. He owns the gun but its always at the house. The Stun gun is something he bought because he needed to take it apart for his glove that he built then thought about it and bought another one for personal defense when he break into a place.The paintball gun well that one is useful for when he breaks into a place. He can shoot it to put paint on a camera he can't just hack into or maybe to do some tactical graffiti.

Imagine him as a Hacktivist who rather then talking acts. I'm thinking moving something to larceny
              Last edited by Basic; 01-14-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Only problem I really see with that concept is what a hacker targetting companies would be doing in a small town setting. Your char sounds like he'd be far more comfortable in a big city, then again I guess Langley Falls could be a good place to lie low between raids.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                  Only problem I really see with that concept is what a hacker targetting companies would be doing in a small town setting. Your char sounds like he'd be far more comfortable in a big city, then again I guess Langley Falls could be a good place to lie low between raids.

True or who just does it to the town. Plenty of stuff to hack in small towns. Also goverment workers love to live in small towns then travel to work leaving there oh so unsecure homes empty full of secrets

Comment

Where are the character creation guidelines located ?

Comment

Aside from the limitation to 3 Arcanum dots, spread in a 2,1 fashion among the two ruling arcana of the path and no access to orders (and their respective perks) I am not aware of any mechanical deviances from normal char creation.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Yes! Now that is an Arcadian Shadow Play Flinty! *applauds*

Also appreciate the vote of confidence, my intentions for presenting a different setting is to allow a space for all character concepts to become viable, because there are a few cracks showing already.

First, I'm alright with people having one skill at 4 dots at character creation, but more than that and it becomes a little hard to believe. Normally only prodigies start out in any given skill at 4, and their abundance of unrelated skill penalties make ordinary day interactions frustrating. I would ask if the players would just keep to one skill at 4 dots if any. Just remember the Mega Man X clause: "You're not as strong as me X, but some day you will be."

2nd, Basic how does a 16-18 year old have Professional Training 4? Plus, is Professional training even in the Mage the Awakening 2nd Core book? Because that represent your job experience and there is no way he would have that even at 18. I'll allow the Investigation 4 with specialty specifically in Hacking but Professional Training is going a bit too far for the suspension of disbelief. Remember the Mega Man X Clause, these are effectively level 1 characters. This is their coming of age/midlife crisis story.

Side Note: Goetia are Astral entities native to the Oneiros and Temenos, they are ephemeral entities of the human mind and listed with the other ephemeral entities in the core book of Mage 2E. The Familiar merit is fine and so is the faith spirit idea, my only worry is that unless specified in the merit I don't think you'll be able to see the familiar unless it manifests unless you have the arcana representing it: Spirit = ...Spirit, Death = Ghost, Mind = Goetia.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
                          Yes! Now that is an Arcadian Shadow Play Flinty! *applauds*

First, I'm alright with people having one skill at 4 dots at character creation, but more than that and it becomes a little hard to believe. Normally only prodigies start out in any given skill at 4, and their abundance of unrelated skill penalties make ordinary day interactions frustrating. I would ask if the players would just keep to one skill at 4 dots if any. Just remember the Mega Man X clause: "You're not as strong as me X, but some day you will be."
                          Thanks!

I'll probably take investigation down to 3 and put another dot in subterfuge then.

Also some elaboration on my part in regards to Nicks mystery play: the idea was to create two storyhooks for you to use there. The first is the connection to Glora, a line of destiny cut short by her untimely death or maybe just a very strong sympathetic connection between the two even though they met for the first time? Maybe something else entirely like some kind of sould bond, who knows. But I think that this'll make for a nice first obsession which will drive Nick to investigate Glorias murder.

Secondly the Fetch taking his place. Illusion, Supernal Fae or maybe even some kind of Changeling esque entity. Most likely it was a Moira taking part in his mystery play as he entered Arcadia, but Nick will certainly try to find out more about that strange thing which tried to take his place.

I'll also try to fluff out the bar he works in a bit more, maybe you'll find another nice mystery for that place.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Flinty, sounds good to me, will update the setting along with this new Mystery to explore.

Comment

Professional Training is on page 106 of the mage book

The character has computers 4 and a speicality in hacking. So in my mind hacking and meeting others who do it on line would have lead to that merit

Also I think it makes more sense if you have familiar you don't need a arcana to see them due to them being your familiar. If its put like that then it seem no one with out death, spirt or mind magic are meant to have a familiar. Also that's the reason the familiar has mortal mask.
                              Last edited by Basic; 01-14-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Good to hear Professional Training is there, sometimes it isn't (Requiem, Forsaken?, Promethean, Beast), sometimes it is (Core, Demon, and Mage apparently.) That being said, even with Computer 4 with speciality in Hacking there wouldn't have been enought time to develope the merit up to 4 dots. It would be at 1 or maaaaybe 2 at the most, and only if it would be a significant part of his story. As for Familiar, due to most Mage starting characters being around the block at the start with at least 1 dot in Order Status it isn't that unheard of for allies or mentors versed in Spirit, Death, or Mind to bond a Familair to someone without access to those Arcana. Even then they wouldn't be able to perceive them in Twilight, unless specified by the merit itself, unless that had the associated Arcana. That being said, the Familair could just use Manifestations or Numena to appear or communicate with their master regardless so it's not that big a deal.

Quick thing though Basic, what story are you specifically wanting to tell with this character of yours? So much of their identity is tied into the hacktivists community that it's starting to seem far fetched that they would be active players in this kind of Chronicle. If you want a story where a majority of your character's time is spent behind a computer screen then that's fine, it's just going to be a very different story than the one being told by the rest of the Troupe.

Comment

Working...
                                X