X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caladriu
    started a topic [OOC] [Awakening 2E] To the Strongest

[OOC] [Awakening 2E] To the Strongest

Here's the OOC for a Mage: the Awakening play-by-post game, using "To the Strongest" from Dark Eras.

Players: Hardwire99 Silver_Smoulder Exthalion Tambov Woland

Let's make some character sheets first. If you can, download this PDF, fill it out, and upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox or something, then link to it here.

Create characters as per Mage 2E page 82, with these changes:
    • Start at Gnosis 2, not 1. You may raise it with Merits as usual. Spend 15 XP (counts as either regular or arcane) however you want, and indicate what you spent it on.
    • Instead of Order Status, you have 1 free dot in Great Cult Status. You do have High Speech. You can also buy dots in Darshana Status, which applies with anyone who shares your Darshana. Remember that you can use Status to requisition other Merits, similar to how Resources works.
    • Remember to create a Nimbus Tilt, described on page 90 under "Crafting a Tilt." Also remember that you have 1 free dot in Occult, and one free Praxis per dot of Gnosis.
    • Don't buy these Merits: Hallow, Fast Spells (doesn't exist yet), or any Order-specific Merits. You can pool your dots to buy location merits like Safe Place/Sanctum, but be aware that it's going to be an abstraction of equipment that moves to different locations with you, not a single permanent place.
    • Your shared mentor is represented by a free 3-dot Merit called Patron, which I will write up later but works similarly to Mentor. You can still buy the Mentor merit to represent other characters.
    • You have the free Multilingual 1 Merit (CofD 46), representing whichever 2 of these languages you don't already have: Greek, Egyptian, or Persian. You can still buy the more in-depth Language Merit if you want to be more literate.
    • Your sheet already reflects this, but these Skills are replaced: Computer>Enigmas, Firearms>Archery, Drive>Ride. This is explained in Dark Eras pages 23-31. Also note: Streetwise will be used to represent "street-level" knowledge of other cultures, managing a long trip by caravan, practical economics, and general worldliness along with its usual uses for finding illicit goods and services and dealing with seedy characters. Soldiers, sailors, merchants and travelers possess Streetwise, not just thieves and smugglers.

Don't worry about starting equipment right now, but FYI: I use the full Resources/Availability rules for getting equipment (and magic interacts with those rules), and they're actually going to be kinda important in the first chapter.

If you don't have Dark Eras, or for that matter Mage 2E, let me know.

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Well sorry all it looks like we have been abandoned without so much as a "sorry I can't continue". I was enjoying the game if I find another that has room I will be glad to let that ST know that there are others looking for a game.

Leave a comment:

• Woland
    replied
    Yes, I think we impliedly accepted the offer as it currently stands. My questions are aimed at providing some context to the Scroll chase, because if we are to find it for the Shadows we need to know those things.

So it'd be nice to move on, I think we are ready for that.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Unbound asked a question verbally.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    I think the ST is waiting for the person that is running the Negotiations and taking to the shadow to verbally accept the offer. Two of us have stated that we agree with the offer in the telepathy circle. i would say that the offer is acceptable but I am not the one negotiating at this point. i would have been the one negotiating if my spell had been allowed to go off and capture it then i could make the deal for its release.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    I was waiting for the ST, since my questions about the scroll have already been asked.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Is this game dead, we have only heard from 2 players out of 4 and no ST posts.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
    Couple of rules reminders so everyone knows the stakes:

Regardless of the method you use, searching the Red Land for your destination [as opposed to colocating there directly, which you have no way of doing right now] will be an extended Stamina+Survival roll with various penalties and bonuses and a currently unknown target number.

The mechanical effect of bringing Asyut along, which is optional, is to allow the primary actor 2 additional rolls on top of their Stamina+Survival rating.

The mechanical effect of bringing a Shadow along, also optional, is to give you a 3-dot Retainer (6 dice) which can assist the above roll, help out in combat, and other actions.

Also, about Sympathy: targeting something sympathetically requires a Sympathetic Connection and a Sympathy Yantra. Space 2 "Borrow Threads" is a good way to get connections if you know someone who has them naturally, but Yantras can be a little harder as you need a piece of the target, or at least a good physical representation of them or their Sympathetic Name. The "Scroll of Going Forth by Night" or "the Hand of U'mat" may or may not be that object's Sympathetic Name, you'd have to test it by casting a spell with it to find out.

---

Is this enjoyable or frustrating for you guys? Would you like me to do something differently? I like writing scenes like this more than what we'd been mostly doing so far, but I don't want to put unfun hurdles in your way. In case it wasn't clear, my plan for this chapter is about the journey and the process at least as much as the Hand itself.
    If we take Asyut with or not the money is spent correct?

As for co-locating to the Hand I have a question. If the Master is dreaming and we were able to enter those dreams, ask of the hand and he show us in the dream would that be enough to co-locate there. I don't know if we have those capabilities but I thought I would throw that out there.

I checked my Character sheet and Hasty is his Vice so I believe that I was acting within my Vice to rush down there and try to force the negotiations along.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Originally posted by Caladriu View Post

Regardless of the method you use, searching the Red Land for your destination [as opposed to colocating there directly, which you have no way of doing right now] will be an extended Stamina+Survival roll with various penalties and bonuses and a currently unknown target number.

The mechanical effect of bringing Asyut along, which is optional, is to allow the primary actor 2 additional rolls on top of their Stamina+Survival rating.

The mechanical effect of bringing a Shadow along, also optional, is to give you a 3-dot Retainer (6 dice) which can assist the above roll, help out in combat, and other actions.

Also, about Sympathy: targeting something sympathetically requires a Sympathetic Connection and a Sympathy Yantra. Space 2 "Borrow Threads" is a good way to get connections if you know someone who has them naturally, but Yantras can be a little harder as you need a piece of the target, or at least a good physical representation of them or their Sympathetic Name. The "Scroll of Going Forth by Night" or "the Hand of U'mat" may or may not be that object's Sympathetic Name, you'd have to test it by casting a spell with it to find out.

---

Is this enjoyable or frustrating for you guys? Would you like me to do something differently? I like writing scenes like this more than what we'd been mostly doing so far, but I don't want to put unfun hurdles in your way. In case it wasn't clear, my plan for this chapter is about the journey and the process at least as much as the Hand itself.
    I was actually fairly certain the sleeping mummy has a sympathetic tie to the scroll, and even if I can't touch it without waking it up, I can chain through the vampire to borrow it.

As for the Yantra, a symbolic yantra can be a drawing or caricature. So if the vamp can describe what it looks like we can make a drawing of it and should be fine.

I was hoping one or both of the vamp or the mummy had a line directly to the Hand, but I wasn't holding out hope.

Leave a comment:

• Caladriu
    replied

---

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
    My bad, my character will respond in game. My apologies for jumping the gun.
    And my apologies for not being clear with what I meant IC or OOC.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    My bad, my character will respond in game. My apologies for jumping the gun.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    AND you don't tell me how to play my character. I don't care who you think you are. You can ask me to be less hasty but you don't demand it. I do not have my sheet in front of me as I am at work, but I do believe that my vice it hasty, I put that for on of my characters and can't look it up.

But you don't command me.
    I didn't. My character told your character something and then at your request I explained what he meant (as well as editing the IC post since the context wasn't clear and that was my fault)

Party was in quotes because a bunch of sorcerers traveling around wouldn't call themselves that but the term is familiar from RPGs. Strife disrespected the other characters and made their job harder with that little stunt.

Just because something is explained OOC does not mean it is directed at players. You are free to play your character as you like.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    AND you don't tell me how to play my character. I don't care who you think you are. You can ask me to be less hasty but you don't demand it. I do not have my sheet in front of me as I am at work, but I do believe that my vice it hasty, I put that for on of my characters and can't look it up.

But you don't command me.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Who were you saying never do that again to and referring to what?
    Strife, saying to never go half cocked into the middle of a negotiation again. Just because he is frustrated does not mean he can flip the table and hold people at spearpoint. That isn't how negotiation works and it shows tremendous disrespect to the rest of the "party" who are not expecting it.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X