[IC] [Awakening 2E] To the Strongest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbound: Greek Binder of Daevas
    Mage Sight: Peripheral | Conditions: Charmed, Informed, Inspired | Spells: none
    Health: OOOOOOO | Willpower: 8/8 | Mana: 9/12

Okay, I'm back.
    I think there is 3 Doors total on the market, so after what Strife had done there's 1 or 2 still closed, depending on the Storyteller's decision. Anyway, I try to open the last one.

Ever since they had entered the market, Unbound was observing the swarm of the people there, especially those that he rwas recognizing from last night - or those who eyed him with a knowing look. As one thing led to another, it was becoming more and more clear that Clan Ibex is not a comfortable subject for these folks and that if the right words aren't spoken, the whole town could turn on them. Accordingly, he tries to soothe the nerves of those attending.

"I understand your reluctance, we don't like craziness like this any more than you do, but by helping us you get rid both of us and - effectively - of Clan Ibex, for a snake cannot move without its head - and the head will be far into the desert. Again, you will be able to return to your lives with no one botherting you"

I do the above to open (one of) the last Door(s), of course.

Last edited by Woland; 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The crowd finds it strange when Strife starts sketching in the sand. Not everyone notices in the bustle, but there's no good reason for a decent person to be drawing strange symbols unless they're some kind of travel map. And only a sorcerer would write someone's ren without their permission.

The crowd passed a perception check so you did risk Nemesis, but got no successes on the chance die. You spent 2 Hekau but no other bad stuff happened.

I'd prefer you only resolve one success-upgrading Condition per roll, so you resolve Steadfast but keep Charmed.

It doesn't seem to have drawn the eyes of Apophis, though. Empowered by ren, the warrior'smagic arises in the world and illuminates the lifeweb of the crowd to his sight. Almost everyone gathered right now has Medium sympathy to each other, bound by a network of clan ties and family relationships. Imhotep's jackal, Urbi, is ridden by a divine spirit that knows its borrowed body very well. Your companion called Unbound is, of course, possessed by the awoken demon of his own Cruelty, but that's by his own hand. An older woman in a colorful headwrap, standing quietly among a chatty group and nervously fingering an amulet in her pocket, seems to have been hexed. Her Fate is cloudy like unclean water. But at least she's part of a network of shared Sympathy.

The whittling man stands out, because he has only thin ties to the rest of this group of people. He's more than a stranger, but not a friend. They don't know him well. While the others gossip about Clan Ibex as outsiders, he works and watches the horizon and listens. He has no special destiny or curse.

Unbound makes his case for letting the strangers and the Ibex take care of each other, and the crowd likes it. They nod and people start to disperse, saying that they'll find Asyut and bring him to you and all this will be done with. As the crowd breaks up to go looking, the whittling man puts away his carving, gets up, and- almost as an afterthought- jerks his head at the three sorcerers. He wants you to follow.

He leads you a little past the edge of camp, to a palm tree on the edge of the oasis where he has a camel tied. He thinks for a minute, then speaks up: "I am Asyut. Make your case."

Imhotep makes the case. Urbi helps. The emissary of Anpu curls up and lets him scratch behind her ears, which turns out to be just the thing to make him open up. It seems like Asyut has a Protective impulse.

In the end, he's persuaded after you lay out the broad strokes of what you're trying to do. To be clear, he thinks this is a fool's errand, but you seem sincere. He'll do it for a hefty quantity of silver, up front, and a sworn assurance that you will somehow put him in contact with Ratri when you return. He wants to hear for himself what some foreign scholar wants in the Red Land.

Because of your exceptional success, Asyut is willing to act as guide for a Resources 3 purchase.

+1 Arcane Beat for Imhotep resolving Inspired, pot is at 7.

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

Khvarenah: Wandering Chaldean Astrologer
        Mage Sight: Peripheral | Conditions: Charmed, Informed, Inspired, Illuminated, Star-Crossed, Steadfast| Spells: Exceptional Luck, Shifting the Odds
        Health: OOOOOOO | Willpower: 8/8 | Mana: 13/15
        Gear:Clay Tablet [academics] (+2), Fate & Space Sacraments

After his confrontation with the priests and the sense of being perceived that had come over him. Once the others had left he took out the shallow bowl of polished copper he used for prayer. He filled it with pure water that Kesmit had thoughtfully drawn and sat down. He closed his eyes and the world grew dark and then he opened them and in the shadowed room there was light. The shadows grew darker, the tiny spots of light brighter, and for a moment he hallucinated that he hung in the midst of a lake of stars.

His prayers were in a mix of his native tongue and the masterful speech he had learned from the true sorcerers of the karpani, blending them together into something like music, both a declaration and a request. What had seen him he could see. What had marked him he could mark. And, perhaps, this would give him one more clue to the reason his master had sent him.
        Spending 1 mana to activate Active Mage Sight and viewing the reflection of my nimbus in the bowl as I cast the following spells:

Casting Interconnection to examine myself
        Instant, Sensory, Standard Duration, Standard Scale, Advanced Potency
        Reach: 4 free, 0 over, 2 for specific details
        Factors: Potency (primary) -0 (3 free steps), Duration -0, Scale -0
        Yantras: High Speech +2, Shadowname +2, Order Tool +1, Sacrement +1 = 6
        Nemesis: 0 from Reach, 0 from other sources, -0 from Mana/Tool.
        Spellcasting: Gnosis 5 + Arche 4 + Yantras 6 - Penalties 0 = 15. Casting roll.
        4 Successes

Casting Correspondance to examine myself, looking for the thing that is watching me, spending one mana for improvised spell from a non-ruling arcana
        Instant, Sensory, Standard Duration, Standard Scale, Standard Potency
        Reach: 3 free, 0 over, 2 to find something specific
        Factors: Potency (primary) -0 (2 free steps), Duration -0, Scale -0
        Yantras: High Speech +2, Shadowname +2, Order Tool +1, Sacrement +1 = 6
        Spellcasting: Gnosis 5 + Arche 3 + Yantras 6 - Penalties 0 = 14. Casting roll.
        8 Successes - Exceptional

Comment

Strife: Death Scribe of Anpu - The Hand of Death – His Lords Warrior
          Path: Moros | Darshanas: Vajrastra | Great Cult: Weret-Hekau
          Mage Sight: Peripheral | Spells Controlled (0/3): | Conditions: Charmed, Informed, Inspired.
          Spells Cast On Him:
          Health: LOOOOOOO | Willpower: 4/6 | Hekau: 9/12 (3)

Gear: Crafting Gear (+2), Mace (Dedicated Magic Tool), 4 Javelins (In back sheath)
          Death Sacraments, Fate Sacraments.

After finding the guide Strife heads back to the sanctum, where he sees Khvarenah meditating and casting spells. Not wanting to interrupt he slips back out and heads to the market. Looking for Unbound and Imhotep to help with the shopping. The three can head to the market. Asking around he inquires where to purchase the best in Desert gear. He will need to purchase enough gear to outfit and service 5 people, this will be a minimum of two tents Nomad garb etc. The price is steep but it is needed to keep everyone safe and healthy in the deep desert.

Before heading over to the Temple he will ask Unbound if he could magically enhance his intelligence and medical abilities so that he can acquire the medical supplies needed for the trip.

I didn't want to go to far as I am depending on others to join and help me. I don't like to assume that they will go.

I didn't list all of the gear needed as I do not personally know what is needed.

Comment

Unbound heads to the market with Strife, allowing him to haggle for the desert equipment. He has restricted himself to looking out for the crowd, paying attention to undesired elements, especially thieves and sleazy beggars. He is not getting robbed, not in this dump.

(OOC: I can't find the information if Unbound is aware of the temple bloodstain and what it implies. If yes, while at the market he asks Strife (and Imhotep, if he's there) if we should seek assistance from these "Shadows". If he doesn't know anything, he simply asks about their time in the temple)

When Strife makes his request, Unbound complies with it. He asks for the two of them to find a quiet spot, slightly touches his cloak, spills some clean water on the ground and intones the incantations in High Speech. The business is concluded when he touches Strife's forehead with two fingers, feeling potent magic flow through him, cold and bracing like a mountain stream.

Casting Augment Mind to improve Strife's Intelligence
            Instant, Touch, Advanced Duration (a day), Standard Scale, Standard Potency (2)
            Reach: 1 free, 0 over
            Factors: Potency (primary) -0, Duration -0, Scale -0
            Yantras: High Speech +2, Order Tool +1, Sacrament +1 = 4
            Spellcasting: Gnosis 3 + Arche 3 + Yantras 4 - Penalties 4 = 6 Casting roll.
            http://orokos.com/roll/492640

Casting Enhance Skill to improve Strife's Medicine
            Factors: Duration (primary) -0, Potency -0, Scale -0
            http://orokos.com/roll/492641

Last edited by Woland; 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Mage Sight: Peripheral | Spells Controlled (0/3): | Conditions: Charmed, Informed, Inspired.
              Spells Cast On Him:

Gear: Crafting Gear (+2), Mace (Dedicated Magic Tool), 4 Javelins (In back sheath)

Yes Strife told everyone of the Blood stain, as far as I know strife doesn't know anything of vampires or that what he saw in his revaluation was the work of a vampire.

Caladriu I am assuming that the Attribute needed to go with medicine is intelligence, let me know and I will make the roll and add it to this post.

Strife thanks unbound for the spells and when asked about the shadows and if they should be asked for assistance his only look is of worry, there is no telling what these shadows will do once we are alone with them in the desert. He suggests caution when dealing with the shadows and not to do it alone. He leaves Unbound and proceeds to the temple.

Comment

Khvarenah is sitting in the lake of stars. With his Fate Sight alone, he recognizes something different. Rather than the presence of a great Destiny and Doom, or even the simple clarity of a man with no special Destiny, he has something hollow.

The Fate of any particular person or kingdom or holy relic is described in their particular stars, their horoscope. The stars move as an ordered system in the patterns laid out for them, perhaps by the Moirai, certainly by some wise divine actor. When he Awakened, he saw their silver rays of starlight as Thorns in a hedge, and as he developed his Gnosis he realized that these silver Thorns are the expanding possibilities and timelines that each star ordains for the world. But as the magician has learned, there are dark stars that move like planets (literally "wanderers" in Greek) in ways that cannot be accounted for. Sometimes these dark and restless stars cross the proper orbits of the bright stars, moving retrograde (going westward, which of course symbolizes death to the Weret-Hekau) and leading otherwise fruitful Destinies to rot unfulfilled and unworthy men to rise in station. This is how an astronomer understands Fate- hedge witches and soothsayers might interpret things differently, but they do not see the world as clearly as he does.

With his Unveiling Fate spell, Khvarenah sees that one of these absent stars has somehow fixed itself in his horoscope. In the place where he would expect to see a Thorn to read his Destiny and Doom from a prominent star, he sees a small rent in the tapestry. This anti-Destiny consumes and destroys purpose, and as he entangles his fate more closely with others, the tear will unbalance and destroy those fates as well. The hollow tear defies his efforts to scrutinize it with Fate, because it is no Fate at all. But he knows enough to guess that the more he manipulates his own personal Fate through sorcery, the tear will grow wider and affect those fates which do not touch his as closely. For now, he is the only one in danger.

He has better insight with Knowing Space, approaching the problem with a different set of tools. He does have a sympathetic link that emerged from this watching presence. It's barely visible, drowned out by the starlight. But when he adjusts his perception just right, the darkness of the absent star reveals something hidden. He sees a thread extending from his chest out into the reflecting bowl (and back to him from the bowl in his reflection). Khvarenah has a Weak sympathetic link to the thing that is observing him, and it is not within sensory range. He pushes his magic to its limit, and a Space-granted vision emerges in the reflecting bowl. He sees, very clearly, a Hellenic-style ceramic statue of a great fish pouring water from its open mouth. It obviously represents the sign of Pisces. The current astrological month is Aquarius, Pisces will be rising next month.

Khvarenah has a sinking feeling that someone is screwing with him.

Khvarenah has a Weak sympathetic tie to...a statue of Pisces somewhere in Hellas! Or someone is deceiving him! Maybe! You don't currently have a sympathetic yantra for spellcasting along this link, but you can always examine the link itself and do other fun stuff with it. +1 Arcane Beat for stumbling on something interesting and magical that you can pursue further, pot is at 9 now.

Here's some game mechanics stuff relating to the tear: it's a Mystery, Opacity 4, which cannot be scrutinized with Fate Sight, although another Arche may work. Any mage who sees Khvarenah's Nimbus can attempt to scrutinize or reveal it. Following some rules from the Signs of Sorcery preview, the tear is Locked. You or another PC will have to learn some Surface Information using Focused Sight before you can reduce the Opacity.

Meanwhile, thanks to Unbound's magic, Strife sees more clearly. His Mind is clear and sharp, and he feels as confident as a master healer.

Unless something is specifically a secret, I find games work better when the PCs can discuss what they know in-character. I assume Imhotep has broadly told the others about the Shadows, leaving out the details of his personal experiences. You guys probably don't think of "vampires" as a distinct category of creature with their own culture and society, even if you've encountered monsters that drink blood.

Strife has Intelligence 5 and Medicine 5 for the rest of the day. Getting the supplies will be Intelligence+Medicine with a -2 for Availability 2, and also a -3 for coldness as the priests are less excited about working with you guys after last night.

He arrives at the temple in the late afternoon. The priest Mitry whom you've already met is in the outer courtyard and willing to chat for a few minutes. They do keep bandages and tools and salves and other medical supplies here, but he wants to know what exactly you need them for. If someone is sick or injured, why not bring them to the temple yourself?
                Last edited by Caladriu; 03-07-2017, 01:20 AM.

2E Legacy Updates
                Storm Keepers

Comment

Mage Sight: Peripheral | Spells Controlled (0/3): | Conditions: Informed, Inspired.
                  Spells Cast On Him:

As he receives the cold reception he will ask "Why the coldness towards a fellow priest and countryman". If they mention the weirdness with Khvarenah he will explain "He is just a travelling companion sharing the road with me and my wife, We travel into the Red Land as my wife and I have both received visions from our Lord Anpu to seek mysteries in that land. There is strength in numbers when traveling in such hostile lands. I have come to ask for bandages and salves as my wife is more fair skinned than I and I need to protect her. I would travel without her but the Vision that we received showed the two of us standing before a great stone hand in the desert, I feel Anpu wishes us both to go. I would be glad to share any mysteries that I uncover from this strange vision and the travels into the Red Lands."

Hoping that they are a little more at ease with him, it would be a shame if he was at odds with his own people and priests to boot.
                  Int+Med roll: 5d10h8 1 received one success but will use Charmed Condition to turn the one success into an Exceptional success, The medical supply are important.

Comment

Luck is on Strife's side, and the priests are sympathetic. They've been wary because of all the excitement and strangeness from your party in the last day, but a fellow priest following a vision from a god they know is something they can get behind. They're willing to share their tools in a canvas bag.

You get the medical supplies, and the group can make Medicine rolls out in the field. Imhotep will be happy.

They're especially interested in hearing about any visions or revelations you see out in the Red Land. None of these educated men have ever heard of the great stone hand you describe, and they sadly can't offer any help there. However, Mitry brings up the rumors you've heard about the sha, the elusive beasts of Set, stalking the trade lanes. He suggests a reward, "knowledge stored here that a priest of Anpu would value," if you can bring one of these sacred animals back to the Temple alive at the end of your journey. If you swear to capture ("protect") one of the sha, the priests will offer a special prayer to Set and Ha, lords of the Red Land, for protection on your journey.

2E Legacy Updates
                    Storm Keepers

Comment

Spells Cast On Him:

Gear: Crafting Gear (+2), Mace (Dedicated Magic Tool), 4 Javelins (In back sheath), Medical Supplies

"I thank you for your assistance and my the Blessing of Anpu be upon you and yours. If I see a sha I will try to capture it alive and bring it back. Nothing short of it threatening my wife will get me to harm it. That is the best that I can promise." Thanking the priests for their assistance he will head back to the temporary residence.

When he returns and sees that
                      Khvarenah is still at work studying something about himself he will activate his death sight to see if he can get a glimpse. Seeing some weird patterns all jumbled up in his nimbus he becomes fascinated. Now he focuses his sight to see if he can read the surface of the patterns but sadly he can not. "There is something truly amazing going on in your nimbus but sadly I can not see what."

Fate Mystery: 2d10h8 0 - Failure

Comment

Imhotep, scribe-physician of Anubis
                        Sorcerous Sight: Peripheral | Conditions: Charmed, Informed, Steadfast(?), Team Player, Dead Certain | Spells: none
                        Health: OOOOOOO | Willpower: 5/6 | Hekau: 6/11 (2)
                        Gear: Writing utensils [Academics, Enigmas] (+1), Matter & Life Sacraments

Urbi, emissary of Anubis (???)
                        Conditions: Familiar, Resonant, Open, Fettered
                        Corpus: OOOOOO | Health: OOOOOO | Willpower: 8/8 | Essence: 7/15

Imhotep will ask Unbound to boost his Manipulation and Ride, and then go to the camp.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Focusing his Mage Sight on Khvarenah's aura, Unbound instantly knows that something is amiss, out of place and yet, each time he almost had it, it slipped though his fingers. If only he could pull some mental thread to unravel this whole mess...

Anyway, after Imhoteps enters their abode and asks for magical assistance, he complies without much hesitation. The tiniest bit of smoke leaves his fingers and quickly dissipates as the spell takes effect - the doctor will be now a lot more convincing and skilled at riding animals, at least for a time. If there are no further requests or other things that require his attention, Unbound lies on his bed with the intention of getting a good night's sleep. It's going to be a big day tomorrow, he was sure.

(OOC: If nothing prevents it, Unbound will cast the Incognito Presence at sunrise and go straight to the temple. He will look for bloodstains on the floor, but also for anything resembling an archive, in which some information on these "Shadows" may be stored and for an entrance to the underground section, if any.)

Casting Augment Mind to improve Imhotep's Manipulation
                          Factors: Potency (primary) -0, Duration -0, Scale -0

Casting Enhance Skill to improve Imhotep's Ride
                          Factors: Duration (primary) -0, Potency -0, Scale -0

Casting Incognito Presence
                          Ritual, Self, Advanced Duration (1 day), Standard Scale, Standard Potency
                          Reach: 2 free, 0 over (use 1 Reach to activate additional effect)
                          Factors: Potency -0, Duration (primary) -2, Scale -0
                          Yantras: High Speech, Order Tool, Sacrament
                          Nemesis: None
                          Spellcasting: Gnosis 3 + Arche 3 + High Speech 2 + Order Tool 1 + Sacrament 1 - Penalties 2 = 8
                          (the effect of an exceptional success would be that I gain the Inspired Condition again, if you allow)

Focused Mage Sight using Mind fails. If you allow, I'd use Inspired to turn it into a simple success.

Comment

Unbound quickens Imhotep's faculties, and sends him off on his errand. While studying Khvarenah's peculiar Nimbus through his Mind Arche, he gets no further than Strife did at first. But in a moment of inspiration, he has a sudden insight into the inter-related nature of the Archae. This Mystery can be approached through the eyes of Death.

Auto-success is Steadfast not Inspired, but yes that's fine. 10 Arcane Beats currently.

Fast-forwarding through the next bit to move us along.

After a productive day going between Camp and Market and Inn and exchanging money and honeyed words along the way, the group has secured Asyut's services (in exchange for a promise that you will introduce him to Ratri when this is over) as well as some more impressive camels and various survival equipment. You have the advanced survival gear, the better-trained camels, the torches, the medical equipment, and Asyut's services as a guide as described earlier.

---

Day 3 - Dawn

It's a busy time to be at the Temple. Even this far from the Nile, the priests at Hibis do the most important ritual work of the day when the rising chariot of Ra passes through the sacred gates and archways into the holy place. The temple complex is bustling with priests, chanting, preparing anointing oils. But with their eyes focused on the divine, they simply don't notice a pack of hidden sorcerers. They are looking up, and Unbound has brought you below.

With Urbi's keen nose to guide the group, they slip inside the main temple building interior just as the sun is rising. The archive of scrolls is in here, in a room along the southern wall beneath an image of Thoth, and it won't be in use for an hour or so while the priests are busy. It's dim and shadowy in here, among the unfamiliar maze of tall wooden racks and low stone desks. The light of the still-rising sun hasn't fully reached this side room yet. Still, there's enough to read with some difficulty. Urbi paws at the tiled stone floor and sniffs. Maybe there's a hidden chamber or trap door in here somewhere.

You are in a dark maze-archive in a sacred temple, looking for clues about shadowy blood-drinking mercenaries. What do you do?

Anyone who wants to be in the Temple library is there, under the effect of Unbound's Incognito Presence. Here's some things you could do:
                            • Wits+Crafts to search for a hidden door.
                            • Wits+Academics-3 to find any information about the Shadows among the scrolls, 10 minutes per roll
                            • Matter or other magic to find hidden passages
                            • Mage Sight to scope out the room.
                            The area is under the Poor Light tilt, giving -2 to any rolls requiring sight. This applies to the Crafts and Academics rolls I mentioned. You have, at most, 1 hour before the priests return to the library and notice some kind of disturbance, Incognito Presence or not.

For scale purposes, the library counts as a large room. Urbi has spent 1 Essence to use Pathfinder.

2E Legacy Updates
                            Storm Keepers

Comment

Spells Cast On Him:
                              Health: LOOOOOOO | Willpower: 5/6 | Hekau: 9/12 (3)

Gear: Crafting Gear (+2), Mace (Dedicated Magic Tool), 4 Javelins (In back sheath), Medical Supplies

With the dark conditions he feels that fate can guide him to finding whatever he needs so he casts Quantum Flux to negate the near dark conditions. Searching the room he finds nothing in here.

Rote/Praxis/Improvised Imago: Quantum Flux (Fate •): Allow Fate to guide his hand to where he needs to be
                              Dice Pool: 3 (Gnosis) + 2 (Arcane) +3 (Yantras) -2 (+1 potency) = 6 dice pool.
                              Reaches: Free Reaches: 2, Reaches used: X (1 to move to instant casting, 1 to change spell to Advanced Duration)
                              Yantras used: (Mantras: High Speech, +2), (Dedicated Magic Tool: Ornate Mace, -2 Paradox, +1 Path Tool).

Nemesis: None

Withstand Trait: None

Results:Quantum Flux: 6d10h8 3 = Success. He can negate a penalty of -2 for 2 rolls.
                              Hekau Cost: 0
                              Willpower Cost: 0

Ending Spell Factors:
                              Potency: 2
                              Duration: 1 Day (Primary)
                              Scale: 1 Person
                              Range: Self
                              Casting Time: 2 turns.
                              Desired Effect: Negate penalties.

Look for hidden doors: 5d10h8 0 = Failure to find the hidden door.

Comment

Mage Sight: Peripheral | Conditions: Charmed, Informed| Spells: none

Unbound ruffles through the scrolls for a minute, but quickly realizes that it's hopeless. There's too many of them, he doesn't know what he is looking for exactly and searching libraries was never his strong suit to begin with. If Strife or Imhotep won't find anything, probably no one will. However, as he touches the cold stone walls of the temple looking for a hidden passage and is about to give up, something guides his hand just where it needs to be, and judging by the sound of the screeching mechanism there is now a new path open nearby, leading - he can only presume - to the Shadows' lair. Beckoning those with him and jumping headfirst into the ominous darkness he only hopes that whatever lies on the other side of this tunnel will truly be weaker during daylight hours.

Resolving Charmed to find the passage (I assume there is one to begin with and that an average adult human can pass through it without a problem)
                                Last edited by Woland; 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X