No announcement yet.

[Recruitment] New Mage: The Awakening (2e) Player Seeks Game, or to Start One

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Recruitment] New Mage: The Awakening (2e) Player Seeks Game, or to Start One

Hello Everyone! Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
    If you are reading this You are probably interested in either Storytelling or playing in a game of Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition. I would love to have you join me in my exploration of this game line. I have never run, or played in a game of it and would love to try it out. But I can't do that by myself. Tabletop RPG's are not like that.

So what do we need to put together a game?
    ST: rwknoll

Player1: HaplessWithDice
    Player2: rwknoll (Probably)
    Player3: Hardwire99
    ----------Optional--------------------
    Player 4: (Open)
    Player 5: (Open)

Wow that's a lot of openings! You may notice that players 4 and 5 are optional. Why is that? Well simply put...because 3 feels like the minimum and more than 5 may start to create problems and over crowding. You may also have guessed it but as of the time I am writing this the position for ST is wide open. Yes, we have a game that needs a ST. I haven't run mage before so I don't feel comfortable as the ST. I don't want to half ass the Morality system if I tried to run it on my own that seems some what important to the game.

Does this mean I don't have Ideas? NO I do, but I don't know mage well enough to run it so...come join in me and let's play mage. Please post your interest and maybe an idea or two of the kind of characters you want to run (maybe a paragraph or two nothing too much). We can fill out those details later.

-----------------------------For those who want to ST-----------------------------------
    So I hate to put too much demand on you but here is what I need from you.
    • A willingness to deal with 1 or more new player in a Play by Post setting.
      • You don't need to spoon feed me answers when I have a question but politely pointing out a page number or section header or general location in the book to find an answer goes a long way.
    • A sense of hope, and optimistic view of your players.
    • The ability to craft a story that has elements of the mystery and the macabre .
    I look forward to hearing from you and the players soon future ST.
    Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-13-2017, 03:53 AM.

Here is an example showing the character I would like to play.

Jason Tayler Shadowname: Charron
    Jason was an ordinary young man you spent his time studying without a real aim. He could not figure out what he wanted to do with his life and where he wanted to end up. Without guidance he ended up living his life without a true aim or direction. He searched for something, anything that would give him a path to walk that would be his. He never found it and walked though life going through the motions. His faith provided one pinning point in his life, the other was the need for education These two under pinnings though provide only a scant framework for the young man. He could not determine anything else. He felt like the best two years of his life were in his past, written and done, when he was a missionary for his church out on the Navajo reservation and surrounding cities in New Mexico.

It was the death of his sister that stirred something in him, that caused him to remember the oddest things, about life, and death. He flung himself into learning about death, about customs and cultures surrounding it, and how to help people morn. He finally found his direction. His study, his life, became death, endings, separation, and helping people not see death as the end but the beginning of something new. That is how he became a Moros mage, by delving deeper and deeper into death, separation, and ends.

Comment

Dunno if you'd be interested, but I am planning on STing a Mage game hosted with Skype & Roll20. Well, more accurately, I'm planning an entire group that will host several Mage games using a common narrative base.

​It'll be called Project Hogwarts. The World of Darkness has been revealed to the general public, everyone now knows (or more accurately accepts) that vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and other creatures of the night exist. Shortly afterwards, Awakenings started flooding in. Mages are popping up left, right, and center, and there isn't even a little hint of them slowing down. To control the ensuing chaos, the Pentacle Orders founded a program that gave these new mages training in magic. While the official title of this program is Magical Acquisition Training (or MAT for short), it was nicknamed Project Hogwarts and the name stuck (so much that there are several people who believe the official title is in fact Project Hogwarts).

​Players take the role of one of these newly Awakened.

​That's the overall premise, anyways. Keep in mind, that this group is still in development, and it might take awhile yet before it's ready.

Comment

So I've been approached by several players here (including the OP) asking me to consider making room in my game for them, but that game has really stayed active with nearly the entire original cast, so I don't expect it to change soon.

Instead, I love the idea of getting into another game. I would very much love to play rather than ST. However, I would be willing to consider running a second game if we can't find a ST. If I do run it, I might be a little selfish and ask to run an NPC in the cabal who would basically be my own ST-run player character.

I would most likely want to play a Thyrsus, probably Mystagogue, no idea on Legacy. I have a few different character concepts I would be interested in. One is an ex-criminal who wants to make something more of his life now that he is Awakened. But I like the idea of a US Army veteran who served in Iraq and has a moderate physical issue (like a bad knee or amputee with prosthetic) from his service and a pet dog he's really fond of. I like the idea of using his dog almost as like a pseudo-familiar.

Paging Flinty and Hardwire99, who both asked me about a potential game and might still be interested.

My Games
        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

Also paging Gentle_Rain and guiskj, who might be interested based on posts I've seen on the forums. Not sure if they prefer Vampire games though?

My Games

Comment

rwknoll I'm the one asking you to ST for me. IF you wanted to have a DM PC I wouldn't complain just because it helps me get a game. Getting a game to begin with, especially from a successful online ST is a big thing.

crapcarp I don't know if I will have the time for a game played in real time. That is why I am looking for play by post. But I will keep that in mind. There are some, complicated issues that the supernatural world does bring up that if it is common, or partly common knowledge creates interesting legal issues. For example: Uncle Lu was murdered and the cops have no leads are they able to pay a Moros mage to raise Lu's corpse and simply ask it for help in finding it's killer? Does Hank the vampire still have rights as a citizen now that he's a blood sucker? John the Werewolf, is it a hate crime to kill him with silver, when the only thing wrong he's done is intentionally over charge old man Wilkins for when he acted like a racist prick blaming black gays for all the worlds problems, while drinking in John's bar? There are a lot of moral and ethical questions that come up with this, and seeing how you answer them might be amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post
              crapcarp I don't know if I will have the time for a game played in real time. That is why I am looking for play by post. But I will keep that in mind.
              ​Oh, it's by no means an obligation. I kinda figured that a live game would be hard if you were looking for a PBP game. Just throwing it out there as an option.

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post
              There are some, complicated issues that the supernatural world does bring up that if it is common, or partly common knowledge creates interesting legal issues. For example: Uncle Lu was murdered and the cops have no leads are they able to pay a Moros mage to raise Lu's corpse and simply ask it for help in finding it's killer? Does Hank the vampire still have rights as a citizen now that he's a blood sucker? John the Werewolf, is it a hate crime to kill him with silver, when the only thing wrong he's done is intentionally over charge old man Wilkins for when he acted like a racist prick blaming black gays for all the worlds problems, while drinking in John's bar? There are a lot of moral and ethical questions that come up with this, and seeing how you answer them might be amusing.
              ​Oh, that's some of the first things I thought about when coming up with the concept. Here's the gist of it: While there are several groups out there that are panicking and acting out of fear, most of the general public isn't because they've realized that the supernaturals have been around them the whole time in their societies. Ergo, it can be easily discerned that they have societies of their own that keep them under control. So mortal governments worked with supernatural representatives in creating a treaty that essentially gives supernatural protections under the law, so long as they obey it. Should they break any laws of the mortal society they live in, they are to be punished as dictated by their fellow supernaturals.

The supernaturals dealing with such criminals have been placed under the obligation to ensure they are punished in a substantial way, as the local mortal society can make a case for invoking the self-defense clause in the treaty. This clause allows a mortal society to make a case that they need to defend themselves against the supernaturals, with an international court. Should the court agree to allow the society to invoke the clause, then the society is allowed to use anything at it's disposal to eliminate the supernaturals under self-defense. Basically, the supernaturals have to play nice, or the mortals get to kill them. Naturally, the clause has been nicknamed the "Stampede Clause".

​While the treaty is certainly functional, it's nothing more than a patchwork job made in a rush to establish some semblance of order as quickly as possible. As a result, it's riddled with legal loopholes that any savvy politician can exploit the hell out of. As for your specific questions:

"Uncle Lu was murdered and the cops have no leads are they able to pay a Moros mage to raise Lu's corpse and simply ask it for help in finding it's killer?"

​Here's the thing: there's a difference between doing something unlawful and doing something illegal. An unlawful act is one that is strictly against the law, whereas an illegal act is one that legal authorities will prosecute. Resurrecting Uncle Lu could be considered unlawful due to desecrating the dead, but not illegal because the police are causing minimal harm (if any) and are only doing so for the purposes of investigating a case.

​And now I'm getting an image of Phoenix Wright cross examining a zombie.

"Does Hank the vampire still have rights as a citizen now that he's a blood sucker?"

​He does, but as a vampire citizen. If he was a mortal at the time the treaty was made and then Embraced at some later point, his status as a citizen would change and therefore, some of his rights change. This includes things like healthcare only giving him blood, and his property is subject to a 99-year lease (considering his indefinite lifespan), he can only feed off the blood of someone who does and can legally give consent, etc..

"John the Werewolf, is it a hate crime to kill him with silver, when the only thing wrong he's done is intentionally over charge old man Wilkins for when he acted like a racist prick blaming black gays for all the worlds problems, while drinking in John's bar?"

​Depends on what the mortal society deems is a hate crime. If a hate crime must involve a protected class as a victim, then it wouldn't be considered a hate crime, as supernaturals wouldn't be considered as protected classes. However, if a hate crime is determined by the perpetrator committing the crime specifically out of hate for the victim, then it would. Overcharging old man Wilkins by raising the advertised price isn't a crime (though it is a crime if John didn't give out adequate change for Wilkin's payment).

Comment

Hello all, I was looking at starting a game but it is still several months away (Looking at October to the first of the year). I would like it to be play by post with a possible session or two held in real time if we want to move the story along faster. It would be played on Myth-Weavers for the play by post and Discord/Roll20 for any Live sessions. Roll20 is unlikely unless I can find someone to help me set it up in that format. I will be looking for 5 Characters (All Master, one from each Path) that will be trying to stop a Prophecy that will bring an end to all magic. Yes playing Masters is Challenging and opens the doors for alot of weird stuff.

I am looking to play in a game, or two, and willing to make this deal. Games that I can play in the ST of that game will have a guaranteed seat in the game that I run. There are several Character concepts that I would like to play. I would like to play in something a little higher than starting level but I can play in a starting level game.

Any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
                  Hello all, I was looking at starting a game but it is still several months away (Looking at October to the first of the year). I would like it to be play by post with a possible session or two held in real time if we want to move the story along faster. It would be played on Myth-Weavers for the play by post and Discord/Roll20 for any Live sessions. Roll20 is unlikely unless I can find someone to help me set it up in that format.
                  Sounds like you put a lot of planning and effort into it, it is likely to be a lot of fun.

I will be looking for 5 Characters (All Master, one from each Path) that will be trying to stop a Prophecy that will bring an end to all magic. Yes playing Masters is Challenging and opens the doors for alot of weird stuff.
                  This is a bit higher level than I think I could do, though this might teach me enough about being a mage that I could try it, don't know.

I am looking to play in a game, or two, and willing to make this deal. Games that I can play in the ST of that game will have a guaranteed seat in the game that I run. There are several Character concepts that I would like to play. I would like to play in something a little higher than starting level but I can play in a starting level game.

Any takers?
                  Yes I would love to have you on board and added your name in the player 3 spot.

Comment

The Prophecy that you are trying to prevent is as Follows:

The Five will become One
                    A Soul shattered
                    A Truth Revealed
                    Time Yields
                    The Spilling of Blood.

I am not finished with it by a long shot and at the moment I have a 51 page document outlining the Chronicle.

Comment

The Prophecy that you are trying to prevent is as Follows:

The Five will become One
                      A Soul shattered
                      A Truth Revealed
                      Time Yields
                      The Spilling of Blood.

I am not finished with it by a long shot and at the moment I have a 51 page document outlining the Chronicle.
                      I can already picture a smart ass mage responding to that prophecy. "IS this about preventing the destruction of magic, or the forming of Voltron? Because this sounds like a synopsis of the plot of Voltron."

Edit: By the way I love it! I hope this game can be formed so I can know enough to play in that game, it sounds cool.
                      Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-08-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

My work and personal life schedules just don't accommodate real-time games the way they used to. I need to stick to PbP games for now.

My Games

Comment

rwknoll That's fine. And PbP is what I am looking for anyway.

Looks like we have 3 players, one of whom may be the ST. if no other ST comes forward, of course
                          Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-08-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

If it isn't clear, I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing...but I think of ending the recruitment period by Wednesday at 11:59:59 PM, or Midnight on Thursday if there isn't any more interest, are the rest of you okay with that?

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'll be private messaging everyone who expressed interest to confirm continued interest and turning everything over to the ST.

Comment

Working...
                              X