No announcement yet.

[IC] (Hunter: the Vigil 2e Playtest) The Lucifuge's Doubting Souls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khalil didn't take his eyes off the ritual. He felt no jealousy that he was not included in it, but he did find it fascinating to watch. Particularly the flames. He whispered his response to Cassidy without removing his attention from the rite. "Escalation," he said. "Further tragedies along the same theme. Greater secrets shall be learned, and the fear for the characters' safety intensifies. This shall get worse before it gets better. I pray this show has only two acts."

My sweet Miriam... he thought. Are you threatened by this demon? Should I run to you? Would doing so keep you safe? Or would it merely lead the beast to your door? Khalil did not voice his fears aloud, resisting the urge to seek out his precious Miriam. If he was going to keep her safe, he knew his best chance was to catch their foe quickly.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

posted yesterday but it still hasn't shown up. Steph sidesteps the breaking point by replacing "gain power from a monstrous source" with "being defeated by another wielder of infernal power."

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

Cassidy slowly nods to Khalil's words and says "I think I need access to your books. If it is truly a play, maybe it is not the premiere. If that all happened before.." she clasped her hands. They had to end this incident before someone else would get hurt. Before her sister will get hurt. She took a breath and then continued "And even if not, that demon has acted before. We may find a pattern so we could catch Gabby" she glanced at Micheal "before it will be too late"

After hearing Micheal's proclaim, she added in a silent voice, more to herself than anyone else "If I were to write this tragedy, I would have made sure that Gabby would never be taken alive. Someone has to be blamed for her death. That way, when the stakes would be high, the hurt lover would betray her family, and end up damning her own soul. That how I would have written a tragedy of family and blood" she looked at the flames, trapped inside her own thought "that would be a fine tragedy, I believe"

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

"My library is at your disposal," Khalil said. "I have every confidence that we shall find great insight within my sources."

Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            "If I were to write this tragedy, I would have made sure that Gabby would never be taken alive. Someone has to be blamed for her death. That way, when the stakes would be high, the hurt lover would betray her family, and end up damning her own soul. That how I would have written a tragedy of family and blood...that would be a fine tragedy, I believe"
            Steph narrows her eyes. Cassidy's whispers about this infernal play stir a dim sense of recognition, but she doesn't quite put the pieces together. She leans over to Brian and murmurs: "Who's she talking about?"

---

Still, she trudges along to Khalil's library to give some insight into the research. She knows Gabby as well as anybody. Of course she does. She should be able to draw the connection between this imagined play and the physical streets of Arkham that Gabby might walk.

Teamwork action to support Cassidy and Khalil. Manipulation+Streetwise: 1 success. +1 die to the primary actor.

2E Legacy Updates
            Storm Keepers

Comment

Micheal, tense but acting unrealistically calmly, focus his will and forces single sentence, helping his cellmates.

“Those are demons – maybe Scripture will have answers.” – And he takes his Bible, starting to read for clues about Enemy in there.

[OoC] Teamwork helping Cassidy and Khalil. Rolling Intelligence + Academics + Specialization in Scripture, so 5 dices in poll…
              And he adds +3 bonus to primary actor. 5d10o10h8: 3 [5d10o10h8=9, 7, 9, 9, 5]
              https://orokos.com/roll/566475

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Cassidy set in front of the desk like a giant spider, weaving patterns as if they were strings. Next to here, Steph recalled everything she knew and thought was important about Gabby, her habits and the streets of Arkahm. On the other side of the table, Micheal was investigating holy texts in search for the behavior of the infernal Host, and Khalil searched for any bit of information he could about the mysterious King in Yellow. In front of her, there was a map of Arkham, together with books about its history, past crimes and supernatural incidents, as well as texts which speak about previous manifestations of the King, or demons similar or related to it.

From that vast wealth of information, she tried to find connections, crack patterns, discover the truth which was hidden beneath the surface- and all of those texts were centered around a single picture. The sketch of her vision. She searched the infernal image for any signs she may have found about the possible next move of Gabby and the demon which may have possessed her. While that mission may have been difficult, she had a special.. talent to deal with such case. Hell knew the souls of the sinners, and it has taught her how they may think and act. There was a price to pay, of course- no one can walk the mind of a madman and leave unscratched- but she had to stop the next murder. Innocent lives were at stake. Her sister's lives were at stake.

She looked on a blank page of her sketchbook, her pencil in her hand, and then said "If I were to write this play- what tragedy would I write?"

And with those words, she started to draw.

OOC
                Cassidy is shedding the Informed Condition about Gabby in order to find out her murder pattern, and where should is likely to strike next. That means that a failure would turn into success, and success into an exceptional success. She also activate the Mind of a Madman, which grants her the 8 again- it may not be necessary, but using a dream to save lives is one of her Aspirations, and it would make sense she would use the ability in such time, and would make her a lot more likely to break. She would also utilize Steph's help, but as Micheal got more successes it should be better he would devout them to Khalil's efforts.

As it she is trying to crack the pattern, I roll for Wits+Investigation+1 from Steph. That gives her a dicepool of 6. failure, but thanks to the Informed, it is considered a 1 Success.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Khalil tore through his library, snatching every tome that might prove useful and laying it out on the desk. He began pouring through the texts for any information he could find on the demon, leaving Cassidy and Steph to puzzle out Gabby's next move. As he read a passage in one faded tome and quickly skimmed the relevant passages from the scriptures provided by Michael, his mind began to piece together the legends of the King in Yellow. "By God, I think we've got something."

Int 3 + Occult 4 + Library 2 + 3 from Michael + 1 Folklore Specialty. Looks like whether the Specialty applied or not didn't matter, given that the last die was a 5. It seems that both Library and scripture came in handy, though. 13d10o9h8: 4 [13d10o9h8=3, 3, 4, 7, 7, 6, 4, [10, 2], 8, 8, 3, [9, 2], 5] https://orokos.com/roll/566655

Comment

Cassidy thinks she recognizes a potential pattern. If Gabby killed the Priest, she could be after the people that the cell holds dear enough to ground them in reality (OOC: aka their Touchstones). It is likely another of these people will be her next target.

Khalil discovers that the King in Yellow is a demon lord from the hell-city of Carcosa, which is paradoxically under the earth and in the stars. His cult is not well known in Arkham or the colonies but is closely associated with Paris in the Old World. He is best known for the play that shares his name, which is known for causing madness in those that read it. If the play has made its way into Arkham, you have a bigger problem on your hands than just one demon.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

"The King in Yellow refers to more than just the demon lord of Carcosa! It is also the title of a play. A play that drives readers to madness. The King in Yellow's cult is practically unheard of here in the colonies, but a play is easily transported. If someone is unaware of what they are reading, they may be driven mad before they realize their peril! If this play is being distributed here... As much as I hate to say it, the events of tonight may be a mere prologue to the coming dangers." Khalil took a calming breath. He wasn't certain whether they'd be able to help anyone who had come in contact with the accursed play, but he didn't know whether it would be best to mention this just yet. Still, if the play was the problem, his infernal blood would give him the perfect solution to prevent it from harming any others.

Comment

Micheal become uptight. All over his body, muscle tense and his face grimaced. He takes his right hand and hit hard with a fist in the table!

“Where does it leads us! How we – in the name of Lord – are there to beat the play in theater?!” – He watched into Khalil eyes like he would be his enemy, for split second. Then he stands up and act like it was mistake, looking over the room and walking - ” How are we to find a demon that spreads by some fairy tale?!”

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Steph raises a hand as Michael fumes. She likes this side of him, perverse though it is.

"'The play's the thing to catch the demon called the King.' Heard that in a London theatre once. Point is: if we're part of the scheme now, we'll see the devil ourselves soon. My blood can make the devil dance, Carcosa or no. Whatever this demon is, it'll have a rude surprise once we're in the same room. I still say we ought to find Gabby first, but if Miriam's close by, let's collect her, too. Just be quick about it!"

2E Legacy Updates
                          Storm Keepers

Comment

"Oh, my precious Miriam..." Khalil said quietly. "She knows nothing of any of this... Ignorance is bliss... Do I take that from her? Do I force her to see the world for what it is? What I am? Do I dare do anything else?"

Comment

"Ignorance won't keep her safe," Steph counsels, hypocritically in light her rift with Gabby. "If the whelp has it right, she's already been put in danger. Seeing flames at your fingertips won't make things any worse. If she's precious to you, save her first and worry about your relationship later."

2E Legacy Updates
                              Storm Keepers

Comment

Cassidy barge to the conversation and says "Steph is right. Whatever took over Gabby will target Miriam next" she examine her painting, looking at the two women which came to life under her pencil "and my sister, too. We have to find them both and bring them here. Worry not" she looked at Steph with a crooked smile "Gabby will come to us"

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X