Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OOC] (Promethean 2nd Edition) The Fire that moves the Stars

The Fire That Moves the Stars:

“In the middle of the journey of our life I found myself within a dark woods where the straight way was lost.”
    Dante Alighieri,
    Inferno

The Divine Comedy is, under one of its many possible interpretation,s the tale of a lost man that, helped by the love and will of Heavens, starts a pilgrimage to save himself and find his souls. The Decameron, on the other hand, is a collection of popular tales that show the hopes, vices, dreams and stories of all sorts of people, even in the wake of the Black Plague.

This Promethean Chronicle, heavily inspired by both, is set in “The Soulless and the Dead” Dark Era” and involves situations and characters that owe a lot to both of those books and other Italian literature and folklore of the age.

The stories will be set all around medieval Italy, with the Republic of Florence being the most recurring location, and the Black Plague itself will have a central role (though not all the stories will happen during the Plague)

It’s a Play by Post game ran by me, Cinder, a literature geek who never ran one (I’m a little nervous) and with those patient souls of Nicolas Milioni , Second Chances, Caladriu and Arcanist being the players.​

It took a while but here we are

Special Rules:

Not many houserules, the obvious “Amirani instead of the Frankenstein” aside. The only one worth mentioning is the following

The framework: the eleven narrators

As a Decameron inspired gimmick, the stories of the player characters are told by these eleven narrators, a group of young people hiding from the Plague in a villa in the Florentine countryside. The framework allows to jump both in time and space between each story, but there’s also another side to it:
    • At the beginning of each story, a player can pick a narrator and gain what’s basically an additional recurring Aspiration in the shape of “change the story according to the chosen narrator’s tastes”. Once per scene, If the character does something that fits the personal preferences and themes of that narrator, it gains a Beat. If the character consistently fulfills this Aspiration throughout the story, it gain a Vitriol Experience at the end of it. The Aspiration does not truly belong to the character and thus has no effect on Social Maneuvering.
    If and how the character decide to play along a specific narrator’s whims can also have an effect on what happens within the framework.

Here’s the eleven narrators:

Agnese - The most friendly and sociable of the group. Comes from a rich family of merchants. Loves stories where the characters interact with people, learn about others and make new friends and acquaintances.

Caterina - Does not judge others and encourages them to follow their desires, no matter the potential risks and regrets. She’s in contact with people of dubious reputation. Loves stories of people that try and fail, only to get up and try again, always pushing to the limit.

Demetrio - The oldest of the bunch. Documents all the actions of the group and tries to live according to the doctrines of ancient philosophers like Socrates and Thales. Loves introspective characters that strive to learn about their places in the world and stories where they have a chance to express their self-awareness.

Ermete - Inquisitive and filled with questions. They work as apprentice in the workshop of a famous artist and scholar. Loves stories that involve natural philosophy and admires those who try to unveil the mysteries of the world, both within and without, with a bright mind.

Ferruccio - Strong, reliable and heavily built. He wants to become part of the Florentine militia. Loves stories of endured hardship and admires characters who triumph through their own strengths and hard work.

Fiammetta/Ignazio - The youngest of the bunch. Full of life, hyperactive and a little reckless. Keeps zir hair short; sometimes goes by the feminine name of Fiammetta and others by the masculine of Ignazio. Loves stories where some of the characters confront with death or take major risks and admires those who burn bright and die young.

Lucia - Devout and gentle, tries to be a sister to all those of group. Is thinking of taking the vows and become a nun. Loves stories that involve faith and the tribulations of the pious souls.

Medea - Very protective of her friends, passionate but ill-tempered and unforgiving. Some say her family hides a terrible secret. Loves stories of terrible vengeance, punishment and unchecked wrath.

Rodino - Kind and caring, always tries his best to make sure the others are safe and happy. The owner of the villa. Loves stories of problems solved through group efforts, thinks people are as strong as their social circle is and admires those characters who keep everyone united.

Selene - A bit unpredictable and distant, loves fables and myths. Her family dates back to the Roman Republic. Loves stories with a supernatural bent and is always happy when the characters delve into the dark mysteries of the world

Uberto - Silent and reserved, speaks only when asked but is surprisingly wise. Spends a lot of time go hunting and roaming the countryside and enjoys the company of animals. Loves stories of meditative isolation, survival in the wilderness and appreciates when the characters interact with beasts and other animals.

There’s another one who does not belong to the group but lives in the country as well:

Il Lupo - A menacing figure that stalks the countryside. Some say he’s a criminal, other an actual monster. He hates the group for reasons unknown.
    What Il Lupo wants and if he even cares for stories, nobody knows
    Last edited by Cinder; 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Alright people, now we can talk about characters, Milestones and everything else. Feel free to post anything you have and ask whatever you need.

Comment

So,my character is a Amirani because I wanted to play one since I saw them in dark eras companion,anyways.
      So how likely it is for carpathian fellow to be on Italy? I wanted my character to start on the Carpathian mountains and then move on from there until he reached the throng and made friends with them, his long term aspiration is to bring a dangerous criminal to justice. So he is on Stannum on the Vigilante roll

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
        So,my character is a Amirani because I wanted to play one since I saw them in dark eras companion,anyways.
        So how likely it is for carpathian fellow to be on Italy? I wanted my character to start on the Carpathian mountains and then move on from there until he reached the throng and made friends with them, his long term aspiration is to bring a dangerous criminal to justice. So he is on Stannum on the Vigilante roll
        For normal folks, not that likely, but since it's a Promethean I'd say it's at least more likely than usual. Prommies travel a lot just because of their condition, after all.

We can come up with a reason easily enough (even a mere "I wandered here"), if his place of origin is important to you. Unless his birthplace and several people from there are really central to the character, in which case they would all need a damn good explanation for their presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
          For normal folks, not that likely, but since it's a Promethean I'd say it's at least more likely than usual. Prommies travel a lot just because of their condition, after all.

We can come up with a reason easily enough (even a mere "I wandered here"), if his place of origin is important to you. Unless his birthplace and several people from there are really central to the character, in which case they would all need a damn good explanation for their presence.
          Nope,the birthplace is not really that central. It's part of the "Transylvania Monster aesthethic" but he has no connections back to his home,his creator is redeemed and doesn't remember much about him and he always a bit of a loner. I'm still trying to come up With a name

Comment

Nope,the birthplace is not really that central. It's part of the "Transylvania Monster aesthethic" but he has no connections back to his home,his creator is redeemed and doesn't remember much about him and he always a bit of a loner. I'm still trying to come up With a name
            Then there are zero issues for me

Comment

Reposting parts of my character for the sake of consistency.

In a quiet graveyard of Rome, a man of clay harvested from the Tiber river stirs to life. A rabbinical student couldn't get the Sefer Yetzirah out of their head; the purpose of the book was to understand the act and process of creation, the power of words. What would it be like to create? What would it like to be God? The rabbi-in-training tracked down rumour and folklore, how the greatest rabbis of the past had made Golems to become closer to the divine. How you were supposed to destroy a Golem soon after creation, or else it would become frighteningly independent. But when the Golem stirred to life, the student fled, unable to destroy it, unprepared for the confusion and the fear and the awe in the eyes of their creation.

The Golem has no name, believing that to name something is to shape it, define it, fix it in place. The Golem fears being named before they finish the process of creation, being fixed in their unfinished state and never gaining a soul. They refuse even nicknames, accepting instead "friend", "brother", or even "hey you". They speak very little except when absolutely necessary, believing in the power of the voice to change things and impact the world. When they do speak, it is from a place of great emotional power and intellectual authority, when they cannot keep the words inside, when they must speak. In private, the Golem experiments with language, with time and meter, with simile and metaphor. Poetry speaks to the Golem, from a place before creation. The Golem observes, helps where they can, and speaks only when it is of greatest importance.

Lineage: Tammuz Bestowment: Inscription (Occult, Empathy, Expression)

Refinement: Plumbum (Pilgrim Transmutations: Internalize, Stoke the Furnace)

Elpis: Inspiration Torment: Dejection

Cinder I have a question. Will the Extreme Environment rules feature much? I'm focusing mostly on Promethean-exclusive Merits, and while Weatherproof is a tempting grab (and cheap) if Extreme Environments won't feature, there's not really a point. Also, any particular prohibitions on the Driven Merit? I know some people like to exclude it because it is a serious Beats and advantage engine, given that you get a pool of Conditions to apply.

Also- how will we measure Chapters and Scenes and such for abilities that last for a Scene or can only be used once per Chapter?

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I'm afraid I'll have to pause any plans for the game...

...because I've been hired to write for the Mummy 2nd Edition.

Sorry people, I hope you understand. It's all new for me and I have no idea of the time the whole process will require from me, but there are deadlines and stuff I need to adjust to. Rather than telling you I'll be able to run the game and then screw it up, I prefer to be honest about it.

Comment

Sorry people, I hope you understand. It's all new for me and I have no idea of the time the whole process will require from me, but there are deadlines and stuff I need to adjust to. Rather than telling you I'll be able to run the game and then screw it up, I prefer to be honest about it.
                  This saddens me,but what the hell.

Comment

This saddens me,but what the hell.
                    Hehe, I finally did it. I hope Mummy will be the first of many, but I'm already thankful for this chance alone

Comment

Hehe, I finally did it. I hope Mummy will be the first of many, but I'm already thankful for this chance alone
                      I'm also very happy for you,is just that I was very excited for this game,that's all

Comment

No need to apologise with that awesome of a reason. Good job, i expect great things from you for Mummy 2md edition

Comment

Working...
                        X