No announcement yet.

[IC] Exalted Seas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Sparrow softly says, "Hmm...why were they willing to kill you for this, old man?" West turns to face Ethan and says, louder, "He told me not to let those ruffians get this. I don't know if he meant the map or what the map leads to. Regardless, it seems that the best way to fulfill his last request is to find out what valuables this map leads to. I cannot do this on my own, Captain."

Comment

• Deep in his work BanFiz blocks out all distractions. Having not left his island much he has never turned his thoughts to how he could fight if he needed to. His firewand is a great tool but insufficient in a real fight where he must carry his own weight. The new powders though have given him an idea now he just needs to make it work. Vaguely he hears a knocking at the door but nothing can interrupt the work so he ignores it.

Red Firedust: 10d10x7 5

Blue Firedust: 10d10x7 7

Double 8's Double 9's
      Grenades: 10d10u7 7
      Last edited by Magesrook; 08-24-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• "I certainly don't intend to let those scum of the sea gain whatever treasures lie at the end of this path," Ethan says, looking at the map. Meeting West Sparrow's eyes, he continues. "These waters are my home, however. I must ask, what drives you to drop everything to aid a stranger and chase shadows such as these beyond his death?"

He's interacted with the venerable BanFiz often enough it's no surprise the elder craftsman has yet to join them; he certainly won't be one to rush the man away from whatever project the master has undertaken. The flamboyant young man before him, however, is an unknown.

Comment

• "Well, umm...a few things, I guess." West Sparrow says, scratches his head thoughtfully. "I kind of promised the old man I would get him to safety, and I...failed...I guess I figure the next best thing is to make sure the thing he was protecting is safe." He pauses, uncertain of how much to tell the Captain, who is as much a stranger to him as West Sparrow is unknown. "I want to find a purpose, I guess, something better than fishing in that crummy little village like my father."

Comment

• "Fair enough. I was given a purpose when I awoke to the power to break the chains that bound me, but it was one I would have chosen for myself... However, protecting your crew, and hunting slavers and pirates might not be your choice." Ethan shrugged. "Honoring a broken vow seems a good start. As for me," he gives a feral grin, "I rarely need extra motivation to go on a hunt."

Comment

• With a flicker of will, Ethan sends his intent to his shoal, and the deck beneath their feet begins to rumble once again, the Mizuchi heading further out to sea. A moment later, the navigator knocks and enters the chartroom.

"Yes captain?"

"We're to sail to Kataigidas Island," Ethan tells him, motioning to the map he and West Sparrow had been perusing. "If you can guide us better than 'head west for the Triangle', I'll call it a win."

"Yes sir," the sailor responds, and gets to work digging into the drawers of charts.

Ethan turns back to West Sparrow. "We'll send a diver up to spot for us once a glass, but should be able to sail un-pursued under the surface wherever our destination. Do you have any objection to seeing to the man's unfinished business immediately?"

Comment

• The navigator pulls out four rolls of parchment from the scroll cases inside the cabinet and lays them out on the chart table.The four maps bracket a region south-southeast of Wavecrest, showing some of the islands along the sides of Sharukan's Triangle. At the far southern point of the triangle is Sharukan's Pillar, the column of rock that gives the region its name and the supposed lair of a sea god. The westernmost point is Songcatcher Island, marked on the chart with warnings about fae, while a small cluster of islands called the Wheua Islands makes the northernmost point of the triangle and the chart has markings indicating unfriendly natives. Other marking along the edges of the triangle mention pirate sightings, dangerous reefs, and sea monsters. The four charts, however, don't cover the triangles interior, an obvious lacuna in the navigational information.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
                Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                Masters of the Industrial Elements
                Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

• "Indeed, I do not, Captain." West Sparrow replies with a grin. "In fact, I would have protested had this not been your plan." West leans over the charts, examining them closely. "Heh. It appears that Creation might already be doing its best to keep Kataigidas Island safe. I hope your excellent ship and its clever design are enough to avoid most of the trouble." West sighs a little. "I will miss feeling the wind in the sails." He pauses, realizing that he never cared that much about the wind before, and then touches his recently-acquired sword. Breezedancer he thinks. Perhaps it is you who is actually missing the winds.

Comment

• "If you truly miss the surface that much, we can on occasion ride the surface; or you could join my shoal and swim up there yourself?" Ethan smiles and winks, showing a flash of too sharp teeth.

Looking back to look at the charts, he taps table in thought... "I'm trying to think of anywhere we might go for a better set of charts, though for the Triangle such a chart would be rare and suspect at best... Perhaps from the natives..." he trails off.

Turning to the navigator, he asks, "Brute force isn't always a bad thing. How long would it take the Mizuchi to quarter the triangle for our ghost island?"

Comment

• The navigator does some measuring, adjusts for the differences in scale of the charts, and a quick calculation. "It will take us just under eight days to get us to the Triangle if we stay submerged, half that if we surface and spread the sails. Once there, it should only take us two days to quarter the area."

Comment

• Six days later, as you surface at sundown, the easternmost islands of Sharukan's Triangle are just visible on the horizon.

Comment

• Ethan sends runners to locate both Banfiz and West Sparrow and invite them to the deck to take in the breeze and the last of the day's light. It's time to decide just how to search for their lost island.

Comment

• West Sparrow quickly heads for the deck, happy to be out of the confines of below deck. "Hail, Ethan!" West Sparrow smiles as he approaches the captain. "I assume those bumps on the horizon mark the start of the mystical Triangle?"

Comment

• Unaware of everything happening up top BanFiz continues to work away. He calls the sailor and asks him to bring him all the gear in need of repair, if they are going to be sailing for some time he might as well make sure everything in in perfect working order. That may be important if they keep being followed. Losing himself in the work only pausing to eat and sleep the pile of gear is quickly returned to working order and removed. Verifying they will still be sailing for several more days he returns to crafting dust and his throw-able weapons. They will be needed far too soon he fears. The work though has become rote already so he starts to think of what can he do next. After the projects are complete he begins to sketch an idea for how to use the new powders to build a better firewand has come to him. When the runner knocks he stows the sketches and follows him above the deck catching the end of Sparrows words. "The Triangle eh this could be interesting." he mutters as he wanders over to the two.

Repairs
                              Repairs: 12#12d10x7 10 5 3 6 7 6 5 11 7 8 6 5

Powder
                              Powder: 8#12d10x7 8 7 7 9 5 6 3 10

Grenades
                              Double 9's
                              Grenades: 6#12d10x7 6 12 9 6 7 7

Comment

• "Welcome to the Triangle," Ethan says, waving a hand broadly over the horizon. "With no false modesty, my knowledge of these waters ended leagues ago. However I have no doubt this ship and her crew can find what we seek. I was hoping you might have a better idea than 'survey every blot on the horizon', as that is the best I have for the moment."

Comment

Working...
                                X