No announcement yet.

[IC] Exalted Seas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mizuchi's cannon roar again, raining fire into the harbor district in an attempt to exterminate the Abyssals pursuing Ethan, but without the element of surprise and Ethan's precision spotting succeed only in setting buildings ablaze. The captain leaps out of a window, splintering the shutters, and rolls to her feet on the street behind Ethan and begins to make up the ground lost to the cannonade. The brawler kicks open the door of the building he took shelter in, the thatch roof burning hungrily, and rejoins the chase as well. The sea fort's cannon booms again, but this time the iron ball hammers into the Mizuchi's plating.

The gunslinger leaps out onto the pier, feet flying from the top of one pile to the next, the leaps again onto the prow of a moored ship, its sails and rigging aflame. He dashes down the length of the vessel to the stern, obviously aiming to get close enough to tackle West Sparrow.

Roll 5 of 6. Only one more to go. Everyone gets 5 motes back.

The gunslinger spends 1 mote on Monkey Leap Technique and 3 motes on the Athletics Excellency.
    Chasing: 13d10x7 9

The captain spends 4 motes on the Athletics Excellency
    Chasing: 12d10x7 3

The brawler spends 4 motes on the Athletics Excellency
    Chasing: 10d10x7 4

This puts the Abyssals at 86 successes to your 83 successes.

Masters of the Industrial Elements
    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
    The Underworld (3rd Edition)
    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

• West Sparrows keen ears pick up the sound of boots on a ship, and a roar of fury flies from his mouth. "I haven't come this far, just to fail now." he screams. He jumps in a zig-zag pattern, dodging away from the flaming boat. "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me soar!" He channels every ounce of power and will he has left, rushing as fast as a albatross in a dive. His anima burns brighter, adding a different light to the flames in the harbor,. The light trails behind him, sliding through the waves that splash into his wake.
      Dex 4 +Ath 3 + stunt 2 = 10 base dice. Spending 3 motes on lightening speed to get one auto success and to reroll 5s and 6s until they fail to appear. Still have Graceful Crane Stance turned on (as it lasts a whole scene) as well as Feather Foot Style (as it lasts until I stop running). Spending 7 motes on the Athletics Excellency, and a point of willpower for another automatic success. Anima banner is now at burning level. 17 total dice. Running across the harbor: 17d10x7 2 Rerolling 5s and 6s: Reroll Running to Harbor: 5d10x7 1 Reroll of 5s and 6s again: Re-reroll of running in harbor: 2d10x7 0 plus 2 auto successes = 5 total successes.

Comment

• Shouting in joy and relief as he nears the water, Ethan points towards West Sparrow and the elderly Banfiz and bellows across the short expanse of rippling bay, "We have their backs, cover them!"

He then arcs in a clean dive to break through the surface of the water, his anima and own unique ties to the sea propelling him as though he were a sea dragon, the black jade of Uminchu sparkling in the glow of his anima banner. The Mizuchi is at hand, its sailors and marines answering the call, and so too does Mizuchi herself, sliding silently beneath him, a darkness only distinguishable to even his eyes in the flash and flicker of the ships' cannons and marines firewands just overhead. The young dragon blooded traces his fingers along his familiar's flank, baring his teeth in a feral grin. His pursuers know not what they chase, or that hunter will momentarily become hunted.

Having made his will known to the rest of his school, Ethan arcs up again towards the surface, to prepare his ship for an immediate departure, and an immediate dive.

Contest roll: 8d10x7+1: 4 (one more from spent willpower)
        3 motes Tactics Mean Everything, 3 motes Feeding Frenzy (adding two dice like before), all 6 are personal motes
        Command roll/marine/ship contest roll: 16d10x7: 8 (no 6s to reroll)
        Mizuchi: Prepares to grapple the first enemy passing over her to pull back beneath the water, depth lurker means she can be at "long range" and may rush... We also never settled on how exactly she is "magical or extraordinary" mechanically. For now I'll roll the 8d10x7 grapple, you can tell me if I should do something else: 8d10x7+1: 7 (one more from a spent willpower)
        Last edited by Mizuchi; 06-23-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• BanFiz surveys the carnage around him. He see's his companions fleeing towards Mizuchi and knows he needs to do something to catch up. He sprints towards the dock with the best line to reach the ship and pulls out his firewand. Talking to himself and hoping the goddess might here him, "If this works I will pay a tribute to Luranume". Knowing he needs to time the perfectly he leaps from the dock pointing his firewand behind him. As he nears the top of his ark he pulls the trigger hoping the flames will provide the additional momentum and allow him to complete the jump successfully.

https://orokos.com/roll/818056 Rocket Man : 12d10x7 7

I somehow buy or talk Kyle into an additional 5 dice beyond basic stunt.

Spend willpower for 1 success.
          Last edited by Magesrook; 06-23-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• The gunslinger fires upon the mast of the ship, the blast of green flame eating away at the already weakened wood. The mast snaps under its own weight with a loud crack and begins to fall towards the bow. The Abyssal leaps upwards, catching hold of the mast and using its falling mass to catapult himself out over the bay, aiming to tackle West Sparrow. As the gunslinger flies towards the Solar, Mizuchi bursts upward out of the water and seizes the man's leg in her fanged maw, dragging him down into the water with her. The Abyssal rapidly frees himself, bashing the sea serpent repeatedly with the butt of his flame piece, but West Sparrow is past him before he can recover.

The ship's dragon cannons belch fire again, bombarding the other Abyssals. The blaze engulfs the brawler, throwing him back into a building and burying him beneath burning rubble. He digs himself out, scorched but alive, and continues to push forward. The captain, however, meets the flames head on, her sword carving apart the torrent and deflecting it around her. She continues to charge towards the Mizuchi as BanFiz rockets from one of the piers, managing to crash land upon the deck of the ship.

Roll 6 of 6. Time to find out what happens next.

The gunslinger spends 1 mote on Monkey Leap Technique, 4 motes on the Martial Arts Excellency minimizing Mizuchi's grapple on him.

The captain spends 4 motes on defending herself.
            Chasing: 6d10x7 4
            Forgotten Stunt: 2d10x7 2

The brawler spends his motes on defending himself.
            Chasing: 6d10x7 1

This puts the Abyssals at 96 successes to your 100 successes.

Comment

• "Blessed Isle!" West Sparrow yells, turning his head to briefly see something jump out of the water just in time to stop the gunslinger's leap. "What in the hell was that?" Shivering, but still running, he turns back to his task of getting to the ship. Rather than waiting for someone to lower a rope, he continues running, cleanly timing his steps to switch from parallel to the sea to parallel to the ship's hull. "Medic! This man needs a medic!" he shouts, repeating his message until he can bound over the railing and skid to a halt on the deck of the ship. "Please is there a medic on board?"

Comment

• With the grace of a sea dragon, Ethan breaches the surface of the bay, landing lightly on his feet beside West Sparrow. Eyes widening in surprise as a flash lights the air behind him and the master craftsman they'd fought beside crumples to the deck before them.

"My men will have prepared things to aid Elder," he tells West Sparrow, helping to lower the old man they'd pulled from the wreckage to a stretcher that a pair of sailors runs out to them even as he speaks.

"Deba!" He shouts for his first mate. "Prepare to dive, all here are my welcome guests, and we will let the sea wash any other trash off our decks! And you two," Ethan waves over two deckhands and indicates his new allies, "show these two to the wardroom or infirmary as they desire."

Finally, Ethan rushes off to help the Mizuchi make way.
                Last edited by Mizuchi; 07-06-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Surprised his gamble worked BanFiz looks at the chaos around him. Seeing no immediate danger he slowly picks himself up and tries to clear his head. Stumbling he heads to the entrance to the below decks.

Comment

• The sailors carry the old man below, the saffron-yellow glow around him dying away even as you watch, leaving the most brilliant lights on the ship's deck the anima banners of Ethan and West Sparrow. The men making the ship ready to submerge, stowing gear and furling sails, give both a wide berth. The men have long since learned that the captain's anima can strip flesh from bone if they aren't careful, while West Sparrow receives many wary glances and hears the men whisper "Anathema" to one another.
                    Last edited by Kyeudo; 07-07-2020, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Knowing there is nothing he can do about his anima banner except wait for it to fade, West Sparrow ignores the whispers; actions that proved his loyalty to the captain and his ship, would have to be enough to keep the crew from freaking out. "Please show me to the infirmary," he says as politely as he can to the deckhand. "I'd like to see the Elder."

Comment

• The infirmary is quite spacious by shipboard standards, but is still crowded with cabinets, drawers, and shelves of equipment and supplies, an examination table, and a handful of berths for the wounded needing constant attention. Already, several marines occupy those berths, bandages covering daiklave wounds suffered at the hands of the Abyssal captain and burns from the fire cannon of the ships that invaded the harbor. The old man lies on the table, someone who must be the ship's doctor standing over him and checking his neck for a pulse. The doctor shakes his head as West Sparrow enters and moves to pull a sheet over the body.

Comment

• Thinking to himself he needs to do something more If this is the quality of opponents they will face BanFiz begins to imagine a better weapon. Knowing this will take time and resources he doesn't currently have he knows he will have to tart with something smaller. Calling to Ethan he asks, "Do you have a place i can work, I may not be exceptional in a fight but I may be able to make something to help us further." Are there weapons or tools your men could use?"

Comment

• Ethan responds with a slight bow towards BanFiz. "You know the ships armaments already. This one or my men could certainly use better equipment, though any aid you can render will be accepted." He waves to a nearby sailor, "Norta, take Senior BanFiz below, and show him the armory and workshop both, and introduce him to Engineer Long who is to provide him with anything he requests."

Looking back to BanFiz, his eyes twinkle with a slight smile and the reflected light of the ships burning around them, "And now if you would please clear the deck, I don't believe you can breath underwater?"

Comment

• With a nod to his captain, Norta waved BanFiz through the hatch and sealed it behind him, the last hatch on the deck to receive that treatment.

Ethan glanced around the deck of the Mizuchi with approval, the squad of marines that was forming up near him (inured as his schoolmates were to his banner, it still was not comfortable) were the only ones left above. There was always at least one squad posted outside the ship when they made way to be absolutely certain no unwelcome guests used the last few moments to make their way aboard. Ethan's satisfaction grew as he felt a rumbling grow beneath his feet, the Mizuchi starting to make way. With a slight lurch, the bow of the ship begins moving forward, and down.

Even as water laps around his ankles, the captain of the Mizuchi saw a flash of movement, and with a shout and heavy impact the greatcoated Abyssal captain landed only a few meters short of the stern, one of the few areas of the deck not yet flooding with water.

"Welcome aboard captain, though I'm afraid I won't be inviting you to join us for any refreshments."

The woman actually growled, raising her daiklave into a ready position and stalking towards them. In a flash, the marines are formed up around Ethan, the movement around him sending long shadows flickering through the light cast by his anima banner across the now hip high water. She eyes them, but does not stop her approach. "I have little patience for those who deny me."

As the woman draws closer Ethan's genial expression hardens. "And I have less for those who prey upon innocents, save for the patience of the hunt. Something tells me we will be seeing one another again, though the circumstances will be vastly different."

The rumble that Ethan can feel through the boards underfoot changes tempo. Smirking, Ethan spends a minor effort of will and sends a wave slapping into the Abyssal's angry visage. Without another word, he and his marines let themselves drop into the water, leaving the woman bobbing in the bay above them. Ethan lets his men swim into the airlocks set into the hull first, gripping a handhold against the growing speed of his vessel. A hungry and intent mind brushes his the shadow of a sea serpent flows overhead towards the waters the ship has just departed. Ethan sends back regret and patience, waiting only to see the serpent turn back to follow his course before he slips into the airlock.

With the pull of a lever, the bulkhead closes, and the water begins to cycle out of the airlock as Ethan, his crew, and their passengers sail underneath the invading forces and out to sea.

Comment

• Norta leads BanFiz down past the gun decks to the orlop deck and through its tight passages to the workshop space amidships. The workshop is well equipped, with a small brick forge in one corner, covered bins of materials, racks of tools, workbenches, and plenty of space to deal with larger projects. Unlike many shipboard workshops, one of the material bunkers is reinforced and padlocked; the label says 'Jade-Steel'. "Here's the workshop," the sailor explains. "The armory is on the upper gun deck -we've got firewands, flame pieces, spears, and cutlasses- and the magazine for the tidecutter bolts is in the forward hold. I'll let Long know the captain's orders and send him your way."

Comment

Working...
                                X