[OOC] Should The Sun Not Rise - Sidereals 2.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OOC] Should The Sun Not Rise - Sidereals 2.5

Right now I'm making this thread just to have it in place. Post your questions and character sheets, or links thereto, here.

Character creation rules and guidelines are in post #34 of the other thread (I can't get links to work for some reason.)

House rules:

Even Blade rewrite

This Terrestrial Martial Arts Style is exceptionally popular among Creation's enlightened mortals, god-blooded and other lesser supernatural denizens. Its form weapons are the slashing sword, straight sword, short sword, knife and scabbard, and their artifact equivalents, the daiklave, reaper daiklave, short daiklave and switchklave. It is elementally aspected towards Air. It may not be practiced in armour with a mobility penalty greater than -1. It is incompatible with shields.

Death Between Heartbeats
    Cost: 2m; Mins:Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive (Step 1)
    Keywords: Combo-OK
    Duration: Tick
    Prereqs: None

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm may be used whenever the character acts on the same tick as her enemies. Instead of resolving simultaneously, the character's action (including DV refresh) is resolved before all others. If this effect is contested by another instance of this Charm or a similar effect, all entities using such effects act simultaneously, followed by all entities which are not.

Breath and Essence Control
    Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
    Duration: Instant
    Prereqs: Death Between Heartbeats

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm supplements a Join Battle action. It adds the character's Martial Arts score in dice to her Join Battle pool. In addition, it allows the character to ready any Even Blade form weapon as a reflexive action upon activation.

Close Your Eyes And Look
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive (Step 1)
    Prereqs: Death Between Heartbeats

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm supplements an unarmed Martial Arts attack. It doubles all DV penalties the target is currently suffering from for the purposes of resolving that attack.

Even Blade Form
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Simple (Speed 6, DV -1)
    Keywords: Form-type
    Duration: Scene
    Prereqs: Close Your Eyes And Look

[Insert fluff here.] While this Charm is active, the character never suffers an automatic unexpected attack from being surrounded in combat. In addition, she reduces her total DV penalty by half her Permanent Essence rating.

Fiery Garda Force Attack
    Cost: 4m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious
    Prereqs: Even Blade Form

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm supplements an unarmed martial arts attack, granting it piercing. Secondly it applies a penalty equal to 1/2 the character's Essence to the defender's parry DV.

Flashing Zephyr Speed Stance
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive (Step 1)
    Duration: Action

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm alters the statistics of a wielded Even Blade form weapon. Until the character's DV refreshes, the weapon's Speed is reduced by 1, and its Accuracy and Rate are increased by 1. This may not reduce Speed below 3.

Floating Nymph Grace Evasion
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive (Step 2)
    Duration: Tick

[Insert fluff here.] For one tick the character reduces her total parry DV penalty by her Martial Arts score.

Gruesome Wood King Revelry Technique
    Cost: 1m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive (Step 10)
    Duration: Action

[Insert fluff here.] If the character's unarmed Martial Arts attacks successfully deal lethal damage, the character regains one mote per health level of lethal damage inflicted,and places them into an Overdrive pool. If the character does not have an Overdrive pool from another Charm, this Charm grants an overdrive pool with a capacity of 5 motes.

The Variant of Master Azure Crane

Loving Heart Stance
    Cost: 4m; Mins:Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 9)
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Counterattack
    Prereqs: Fiery Garda Force Attack, Flashing Zephyr Speed Stance, Floating Nymph Grace Evasion, Gruesome Wood King Revelry Technique

[Insert fluff here.] This Charm grants an unarmed Martial Arts counterattack upon successfully parrying an attack. The dice pool for this counterattack is equal to the character's Martial Arts score plus the number of successes by which the original attack failed.

Loyal Dancing Lovers Technique
    Cost: 7m 1w; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple (Speed 6, DV -1)
    Duration: Scene
    Prereqs: Loving Heart Stance

[Insert fluff here.] While this Charm is active, the character must choose between either of the following modes, between which she may switch reflexively when her DV refreshes:
    -Sword Mode: At any time before the next time her DV refreshes, she may make a single unarmed Martial Arts attack reflexively at her full dice pool.
    - Scabbard Mode: The character’s parry DV increases by 2.

Regardless of which mode she chooses, she reduces the total DV penalty inflicted upon her by making unarmed Martial Arts attacks by 2. For example, if she made a flurry of three attacks with -1 DV penalties, she would only suffer a total of -1 to her DV from that flurry, rather than -3.
    Last edited by Schleiermacher; 07-01-2014, 04:01 AM.

Checking in. To let you know I care. Soundless forrest of books, I'm sending you his background now, as a PM to approve and will edit it in here.

Comment

Ok, checking in. BTW. what heavy blunt MA-compatible weapon can you recommend? I'm looking for a respectable, ehm. "peacemaker" for my character

Comment

Staves are traditional. Serpent-Sting Staves are a nice variation. Goremauls are heavier but restrict your Style options more.

Comment

I was thinking a goremaul as a sort of club. Is there an artifact version of a staff somewhere? I think I remember seeing a wrackstaff in one of the splats, looked similar.

Comment

Checking in. I've been hit with the busy stick and it's been taking a while for me to finish writing my character. But I'll have it down in a couple of days.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

There is such a thing as a Wrackstaff, I'm not sure where to find 2.5 stats for it though.

Based on comparing the stats of a Staff, Straight Sword and Daiklave, how about this?

Wrackstaff: Speed 5, Accuracy +2, Damage 7B/2, Defense +2, Rate 3, Tags: 2, M, R, O. Same attunement cost as a Daiklave.

A wrackstaff can have up to two hearthstone sockets, but some don't have any.

Comment

I suppose this is a two-dot artefact? Normally I'd lean towards a club-like weapon, but that would mean picking melee or something like Earth Dragon, and I'm not sure I want to do that. BTW, I am working on a short backstory and wondering how to tie it in my abilities - what language do they speak in the Northwestern port cities, Seatongue, Low Realm or something else?

Story – in one of the windy ports of the Northwest there once was a boy called Federiko. At first he was little different than most of his peers, like most of the children there he sought excitement and wonder for his little world. In Port Cabrast, there were not that many forms of excitement, but he tried every one and wanted to invent a few more – new games, new tricks and, as he grew, new affairs. Yet of all those, his favourite excitement was to be surrounded by a garrulous group in the warm room of the tavern as tales were told of strange lands and great deeds as the wind blew outside, its icy teeth held at bay by the thick door but his howl adding to the charm of the tale. He himself was not the greatest of storytellers – though he was far from incapable – but an avid peruser. He eventually apprenticed himself in one of the small, dimly lit taverns where he served as a waiter, barkeep and at times bouncer, and in those dark evenings, he found his second passion – people. They all had stories in which they were the heroes, the villains, the distressed ones or even the onlookers, and each tale fascinated him. Some were simple, some were exotic, but each was a new world. In time, he sought to tug at the strings of those tales – prompting the protagonist to try this, say that, and hopefully get the story set to its proper path. To his credit, he found himself often succeeding, though he soon found out success wasn’t always what he imagined it to be. Well, he thought, gods willing he would have a lifetime to improve. Something inside him wanted to set things right, as if perceiving the wrongness of the tales as a jarring note.
                Then, fate happened, and his little world was taken away from him, substituted by the promise to ply his talents on a scene unimaginably greater. He was thrilled by the opportunity at first, although he quickly became somewhat jaded with the factional baggage and hierarchy he found, in particular in the department he was assigned for, which he quickly coined several new nicknames for. On the other hand, the work he was provided with was occasionally quite enjoyable, and he found the days spent behind the huge bars at the Cerulean Lute to be fascinating beyond compare – and yet, somehow familiar. There is a sweet irony at learning how the spirit to which down-on-their-luck sailors back home is itself having a hard year, and it sometimes takes all his self-control to skew his smile into an understanding grimace. He has also made a couple of friends in Yu-Shan and back on Creation, and overall, considers his life a rather well enjoyed one. Getting his own landship, which he partly converted into an impromptu bar, is probably his greatest joy, and it is one of the reasons he so much likes spending time back in creation. He has so far avoided joining any of the major fractions at his time, preferring to keep his options open and focus on the work itself. It has not helped his career much, but he sees no reason to hurry.

Federiko is now the man everyone instinctively calls barkeep. He is a large, fairly calm man (well-groomed moustache) in well-made clothes, moving around with a practiced and subdued grace. He favors white and dark grey or black, but always with some blue accessory. After all, one should respect one's trade.
                Last edited by 4uk4ata; 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Seatongue, Airtongue and/or Low Realm, it varies from place to place and many places probably use more than one language. And yes, two dots.

Comment

Here's Wei's full character sheet. Let me know if you have questions or complaints.
                    Name: Lucky Wei
                    Concept: Wandering Folk Hero
                    Caste: Journeys
                    Motivation: To inspire legends that encourage mortals to be adventurous.
                    Intimacies: Tall tales (Passion), Allies (Friendship), Mercury (Respect), Golden Barque (Lazy Affection), Traveling (Calling)

ATTRIBUTES:
                    • Strength: **
                    • Dexterity: ***
                    • Stamina: **
                    • Charisma: ***
                    • Manipulation: ****
                    • Appearance: **
                    • Perception: ***
                    • Intelligence: ***
                    • Wits: ****
                    ABILITIES:
                    • Archery:
                    • Melee:
                    • MA: **
                    • Thrown: *
                    • War:
                    • Integrity:
                    • Presence: **** (Specialty: Disarmingly Foolish **)
                    • Performance: **** (Specialty: Plucked String Instruments **)
                    • Resistance:
                    • Survival: **
                    • Lore: ***
                    • Occult: **
                    • Investigation:
                    • Craft:
                    • Medicine:
                    • Athletics: **
                    • Awareness: **
                    • Dodge: ****
                    • Larceny: *
                    • Stealth: *
                    • Bureaucracy: **
                    • Ride: ***
                    • Sail: *
                    • Socialize:
                    • Linguistics: ** (Old Realm, Rakshic)

Charms
                    Breaking the Wild Mortal
                    Ordained Bridle of Mercury
                    Adopting the Untamed Face
                    Absence
                    Duck Fate
                    Avoidance Kata
                    Trouble Reduction Strategy
                    Force Decision
                    1st Perfomance Excellency
                    Fateful Performance
                    1st Presence Excellency
                    Fateful Presence

GENERAL
                    Virtues:
                    • Compassion: ***
                    • Conviction: **
                    • Temperance: *
                    • Valor: ***
                    • Willpower: ******
                    • Essence: ***

Health Levels
                    • 1x -0
                    • 2x -1
                    • 2x -2
                    • 1x -4
                    • Incap
                    • 2 Dying

Backgrounds
                    Allies *****:
                    1. Stone Bones - earth elemental or godblood - supremely strong. Able to lift, carry, and throw ridiculously large objects.
                    2. Nimble Nayin - air elemental or godblood - supremely fast. Swift as sorcery.
                    3. Glut - fire elemental or godblood - supreme eater. Can eat almost anything, no matter the volume. Can consume a whole herd of oxen without being full.
                    4. Dolphin Scales - water elemental or godblood - supreme swimmer. holds breath indefinitely, commands small waves.
                    5. Flower of the Mountains - wood nymph - supremely beautiful - has abilities that compel people to fawn over her and can exude a pollen that encourages feelings of love

Contacts *****:
                    1. King Raul of Rolston - Leader of a major state in the Scavenger Lands, owes Wei a favor for saving his kingdom (and not marrying his daughter afterwards). Links to eastern nobility.
                    2. Zephyr Bringing Favorable Signs - Air elemental in a Western spirit court. Links to air elementals across Creation.
                    3. His Glorious Majesty Emperor Genivam The 99th - Fair Folk Noble, leader of the Opal Court. Links to Raksha.
                    4. Dead Kofi - Ghost and bureacrat in the Sijan Mortician’s Guild. Underworld connections.
                    5. Awareness of Vacuity - 2nd-circle demon Wei smuggled out of Yu-Shan and back into Malfeas. Links to major players in Hell.

Artifact ****:
                    The Handy Sack: A useful toy, thought to once have been Mercury's own traveling bag, now passed around the members of the Golden Barque who are planning to go on long expeditions and do not know exactly what they should bring along.
                    The handy sack is a large brown grain sack that always appears to be partly full of something soft and lumpy. Anyone who looks inside it will only see darkness. Once per scene, the bearer of the sack can spend one mote and pull out any object from the sack that has a Resources cost of one dot or less. Alternately, the bearer can commit one mote to put something into the sack (provided that it is small enough to fit), for later retrieval. Neither adding nor removing objects from the sack affects its weight.
                    The sack cannot be used without spending motes. Persons reaching into the sack will not grab hold of anything, and items put into the sack will fall out of the bottom, despite there being no obvious hole.
                    If the sack is turned over, a small amount of dried grain (randomly rice, millet, barley, or wheat) will pour out onto the ground. If this happens, the sack will appear empty, and cannot be used again for one full day.

Backing * (Golden Barque - Eastern Direction - Convention on Fair Folk - Independent)

Colleges:
                    Resplendent Destiny: The Gull ***
                    Resplendent Destiny: The Ship’s Wheel **
                    Resplendent Destiny: The Rising Smoke **

Stat Block
                    • Wei begins play with no weapons or armor - just the clothes on his back and the Handy Sack.
                    Combat Block
                    • Personal: 12
                    • Peripheral: 33
                    • ?/? WP 6/6
                    • DDV: 5
                    • PDV: 2
                    • MDV: 4
                    • Soak:
                      • 0A/XL/XB Natural
                    • Hardness: 0
                    • Move:
                      • 3/6 Normal
                    • Jump:
                      • 4v/8h normal
                    Last edited by semicasual; 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Wait, are we playing with the houserule where you get free ox-body purchases equal to your stamina? I've seen people do that every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by 4uk4ata View Post
                        Wait, are we playing with the houserule where you get free ox-body purchases equal to your stamina? I've seen people do that every now and then.
                        No, we are not. And as such, semicasual, Lucky Wei's Health Levels are off.

You're also entitled to four free Specialties as per the 2.5 character generation rules, which you haven't taken.

Finally, there are a few issues with his Backgrounds.
                        - Savant isn't a Background we'll be using in this game. (Backgrounds are supposed to reflect a character's connection to the setting and/or provide plot hooks to go with their benefits, but Savant is wholly internal and only provides bonus dice, the last thing the game needs more sources of. So I think it's a bad Background. Instead, I recommend Lore and Occult specialties in "the First Age".)
                        - You don't have any Backing or Salary. Even the most junior members of the Fellowship have at least Salary 1 unless something extraordinary is going on, so if you don't want to take that, please provide a reason in your backstory for why Wei's funding has been cut off. Likewise, "members in good standing of the Bureau have at least Backing 1 from their Maiden's Division and from one of the Directional Conventions." As is, Lucky Wei very nearly looks like a Ronin.
                        - Not an issue, but just to verify that you've seen it: I commented on your Allies in a PM last week.

Other than that, the sheet looks good.

Comment

I changed the health levels to the standard 7, plus 2 Dying for my stamina. I'm not sure where I got the notion of 5x0, 3x-1.

I put my specialty dots into more folk hero archetypal things.

Replaced Savant * with Backing * - Wei is at least tolerated as a member of his department.

I didn't give Wei a salary mostly because it doesn't fit the archetype for someone like him to have the kind of money even Salary * would allow. If you want an in-character reason, I propose that Wei's salary is being withheld as punishment for him not doing his job properly - Wei will take any excuse he can to go out and do field work, but getting him to do paperwork practically requires a senior member of the Golden Barque to be watching him at all times.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                            Replaced Savant * with Backing * - Wei is at least tolerated as a member of his department.

I didn't give Wei a salary mostly because it doesn't fit the archetype for someone like him to have the kind of money even Salary * would allow. If you want an in-character reason, I propose that Wei's salary is being withheld as punishment for him not doing his job properly - Wei will take any excuse he can to go out and do field work, but getting him to do paperwork practically requires a senior member of the Golden Barque to be watching him at all times.

Right, I figured it was something like that. It fits well, I just wanted to have it in writing, to be sure we agree.

Comment

Name: Soundless Forrest of Books Concept: Philosopher Assassin Caste: Endings
                              Player: HaplessWithDice Anima: A masked executioner on a starry night Motivation: To assassinate Mask of Winters.

Attributes
                              Strength *** Charisma ** Perception ***
                              Dexterity **** Manipulation ** Intelligence ****
                              Stamina ** Appearance *** Wits ****
                              Abilities
                              Battles Journeys Secrets
                              (F) Archery - * ( ) Resistance - ( ) Investigation-
                              ( ) Athletics - ** ( ) Ride -* ( ) Larceny -
                              ( ) Melee - ** ( ) Sail - (F) Lore - ***
                              (F) Presence - *** ( ) Survival - ( ) Occult - **
                              ( ) War - ( ) Thrown - (F) Stealth - ***
                              Endings Serenity Specialties
                              (C) Awareness - **** ( ) Craft - (F)Press: Interrogation- 1
                              (C) Bureaucracy - *** ( ) Dodge - *** (C)MA - Swords - 2
                              (C) Integrity - ** ( ) Linguistics - *** (F)Stealth:Ambush - 1
                              (C) Martial Arts- ***** ( ) Performance - ( ) -
                              (C) Medicine - ** ( ) Socialize - * ( ) -
                              Advantages
                              Weapons
                              Daiklave Speed 5, Acc 14, Damage 11L, Parry 6, Rate 3
                              Crossbow Speed 5, Acc 5, Damage -, range Rate 1
                              Soak
                              Silk armor: 3B/5L
                              B__5___ L__6___ A__5___
                              Defense

Dodge: 5 Parry: 7 Dodge MDV: 7
                              Backgrounds
                              Mentor (Lily of Ice) (*)(*)(*)( )( )
                              Manse (Celestial Apt) (*)(*)( )( )( )
                              Artifact (Silken Armor) (*)(*)( )( )( )

Artifact (Daiklave) (*)(*)( )( )( )
                              Backing (bronze faction)(*)( )( )( )( )
                              Salary (*)(*)( )( )( )
                              Backing (Convention of Air) (*)( )( )( )( )
                              Backing (Convention on Deathlords)
                              (*)(*)( )( )( )

Charms
                              Name Cost
                              First Excellency 1m/Die (max Essence)
                              Awareness, Bureaucracy, Martial Arts, Stealth,
                              Awareness
                              Prior Warning 6m
                              Bureaucracy
                              Icy Hand 1m
                              Dodge
                              Absence 2m
                              Martial Arts
                              Perfected Lotus Mastery -
                              Propitious Martial Arts Excellency 2m+2m/reduction
                              Stealth
                              Blinding the Boar 5m+1wp
                              Violet Brier of Sorrows Style
                              Secrets of Future Strife 3m
                              Joy in Adversity Stance 5m
                              Flight of Mercury 2m
                              Blade of Battle maiden 5m,1wp
                              Violet Brier of Sorrows Form 6m
                              Death Parrying Stroke 4m

Even Blade Style
                              Death Between Heartbeats 2m

Astrology
                              House of Endings House of Journeys House of Leisure
                              ( ) Corpse - ** ( ) Captain - ( ) Lovers -
                              ( ) Crow - ( ) Gull - ( ) Musician -
                              ( ) Haywain - ( ) Mast - ( ) Peacock -
                              ( ) Rising Smoke - ( ) Messenger - ( ) Pillar -
                              ( ) Sword - ** ( ) Ship's Wheel-
                              House of Secrets House of War
                              ( ) Guardians - ( ) Banner -
                              ( ) Key - * ( ) Gauntlet -
                              ( ) Mask - ( ) Quiver -
                              ( ) Sorcerer - * ( ) Shield -
                              ( ) Treasure Trove- ( ) Spear - *
                              Willpower
                              (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)( )( )

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
                              Virtue
                              Compassion Temperance
                              (*)(*)( )( )( ) (*)(*)( )( )( )
                              [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
                              Conviction Valor
                              (*)(*)(*)( )( ) (*)(*)(*)( )( )
                              [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
                              Intimacies
                              Family: Sifu Winter Lily (mother)
                              Duty: Only in death does duty end
                              Philosophy: Death is a reprieve not a punishment
                              Love: Silent Killer (Daiklave)
                              Philosphy: A sword is an extension of it's bearer's soul
                              Hate: Walking Dead

Essence
                              (*)(*)(*)( )( )( )
                              Personal 14 / 14
                              Peripheral 29 / 29
                              Committed 7

Health
                              -0 [ ]
                              -1 [ ][ ]
                              -2 [ ][ ]
                              -4 [ ]
                              Inc [ ]
                              Paradox
                              [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Experience
                              Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 07-07-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X