Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changeling the Lost: Unseen Costs (IC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changeling the Lost: Unseen Costs (IC)

    ((OOC: out-of-character thread is at http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/g...seen-costs-ooc. Please limit OOC chatter in this thread to a minimum!))

    Dale:

    It's early in the evening - you had to wake up early today for a case, and it has you cranky. You glance out the window of your stuffy little office and are briefly distracted as one of the last leaves breaks off of the maple tree outside your window and falls toward the ground. Another one passes across your vision, obscuring things for only a moment, before disappearing back into your Mantle. Ah, well, at least your six o'clock should be getting there soon. With any luck, you can wrap things up quickly and put in a quick appearance as Sullivan not too long after sunset.

    There's a ring at your telephone. You glance down, momentarily startled - you'd forgotten it was there, again. A couple of nights without work followed by long, sleepless days spreading your particular urban legend will do that, especially given the haze of perception that Clarity leaves the world. You pick it up.

    "Mr. Nightshade?" a stern male voice asks, only the barest hint of an accent marking him as a Chicago native. "My name is Mr. Voyczyk. I want you to retrieve something that belongs to me."


    Freddy:

    How much longer is your shift again? You resist the urge to check your watch as you make change for the yuppie in the SUV. He speeds off without saying anything, the prick - not that you expected anything else. You ignore the hobgoblin face peering out from the rear view window. It's probably not real. Probably.

    You pause in the middle of making change as you hear something. Curious, you stick your head a bit outside your booth to hear a bit better. Is that just the wind, or is something... whistling?

    BOOM!

    There's a crack and a roar as something plummets from the sky and hits the bridge some forty feet in front of your booth. Cars immediately start swerving to avoid the whatever-it-is, and it's only sheer luck that a couple of fender benders are the worst that happens. Before you can blink, the impact has thrown up a haze of dust, cutting visibility to nearly nothing. What the hell?


    Malory:

    What a day! First you had to deal with that working girl who'd let her John cut her up, then you got called up for a house call, of all things, to take care of that college frat boy's nasty infection out in the suburbs. You're looking forward to getting home and getting off your feet.

    ...Or at least, whoever's feet you use now.

    You pull up to the Skyway and start rummaging around for enough change to pay the tolls, when...

    BOOM!

    A thunderous impact, not ten feet in front of you. You slam on the brakes and stop in time, but grimace as the car behind you slams into you, causing your own to rock forward half a foot. Goddammit.


    Free:

    You adjust the folder and wait for the ancient elevator to ding to a halt. You think you might be on to something this time - half a dozen disappearances over the last two decades, all sixteen-year-old redhead boys. The details on the second one are pretty sketchy, but luckily you have a secret weapon - a Lost investigator, one that's good at disappearances.

    You mentally flip through the other anomalies that've popped up on the forums lately. The usual alien sightings (some by crackpots, others you want to look into further. Some woman in Lincoln Square who says a meteorite killed her dog. Some creepy serial-killer urban legend going after folks who stick their nose where it shouldn't be going. Maybe you can get some sort of package rate on some of these things, too...?

    You finally leave the elevator and head toward Nightshade's office, but pause when you hear a voice. Is he seeing another client? You know you're not late...

    You step up to the open doorway and peer inside to see a man - presumably Nightshade himself - on the phone.
    Last edited by HobbitGuy1420; 10-30-2014, 01:52 AM.

  • #2
    "What the hell!" Freddy shouts, as he rubs his eyes real quick to make sure he's not seeing anything.

    Nope. Things look pretty fucked - or at least they sound pretty fucked.

    Without really seeing anything, and with a strange patience, Freddy lowers down the gate in front of the drawbridge. He gets out of his booth and immediately breathes in a huge clump of ugly dust, setting off a chain of coughing and hacking that barely subsides. He brings out a rag and ties it around his face and decides he better find out what happened down on the bridge.

    On his way, moving through the cloud of dust, he vaguely recalls a training meeting where he was told to call shit like this in... but he figures its too late now, as he can barely see his own booth, and since the bridge is closed anyway, he might as well keep going, and find if anyone needs help. He moves cautiously through the haze, blindly but bravely, looking for anyone who needs help getting out of the area.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Ohfuckmetwice!" Malory perfectly echoes the sentiments of absolutely everyone on this bridge. She grabs her handbag of cheap-but-proven instruments from the back, dismounts hastily, and runs toward the impact, eyes front for anyone injured - or..Anything, anything at all that isn't grey powder. Malory begins to envy the days when she didn't need to breathe.

      Comment


      • #4
        "Alright, I'll call you back and see what time I can book you," Dale says, then he sees Free in the doorway, assuming her to be his scheduled client, "I'm with another client." With that, he hangs up the phone and approaches Free. "Sorry about that, just called all of a sudden, you know how it is," he casually says to Free as he extends his hand to her, "I'm Nightshade. Free, was it?"

        Comment


        • #5
          "That is the name I use in our circles and online," Free responded. Though her Mask was up and in place, there was something about her voice that was odd. It was hard to place, maybe something like an air-tight pump with the soft, quiet sound of a small, hissing leak hidden somewhere underneath her deep yet distant alto voice. "You may call me Ms. Scully if we find ourselves among mortals. I hope I did not just cost you a major payday."

          Comment


          • #6
            The bridge is an island of chaos. All around you are the sounds of people getting out of their cars and yelling at one another, or continuing to commit traffic offenses ranging from minor to severe. The dust begins to settle, but visibility is still mostly notable in its lack.

            ((I'll need two rolls from each of you: A perception check at -2 to get a handle on what's going on around you, and a Stamina roll to deal with the dust: -2 if you're breathing, -1 if you're holding your breath (but you'll eventually have to roll to keep holding your breath eventually, too). If you have any questions or modifiers you want to try to apply to the roll, PM me.))

            Comment


            • #7
              (Perception - fail!) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4702514/
              (Stamina - Success!) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4702517/

              (Contract activation - Sorrow Frozen Heart 1st clause Res+Occ+Mantle - Success!) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4702535/

              God damn dust, Freddy thinks, resisting the urge to yell. He shuts his eyes and keeps his mouth shut while he continues to feel around with his hands. His lungs remember how to hold onto the air.

              The dust is so irritating, and with his eyes shut he dredges up the memory of his mother. Memory is tricky, but when they are sufficiently tragic they can be easier to bring to the fore, no matter how difficult. Focusing on his inner pain, Freddy begins to lose track of the dust, and the suffering outside of himself. The emotional energy of glamour infusing his heart with the toughness to get through it. He lets go of his breath and opens his eyes, letting the dust aggravate his lungs and sting his eyes.

              (I spent the glamour and activated the contract after the perception and stamina rolls. Now that the contract is activated, Freddy will continue to look around)
              Last edited by ATwannabe; 11-04-2014, 09:01 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Shaking off the discomfort of the world and dipping into the wyrd, Freddy resumes his search for the source of the noise and the dust. Still can't see anything he thinks. He takes small steps and keeps his arms out in front of him, trying to feel for cars, people, or other oddities.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Malory coughs, hacks and immediately regrets this whole "breathing" thing. Still, she's the only one who can see goose shit, apparently, so she gropes around for a flashlight and shines it on the teetering car. pulsing it a few times to point out a situation in dire need of ogrish muscle.

                  Then she jogs over to the T-boned car, checking it for occupants and serious injuries. If both of those are a resounding "yes", she'll try her best to open it, breaking windows if need be - and if not, she keeps moving toward the crater.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Freddy,
                    You see a light flashing a couple of times in the distance. Just as you're about to turn and look more closely, your foot lands on the edge of a wide crack in the bridge - and slips in.
                    ((OOC: Dex + Athletics to avoid getting tripped up, caught, or injured.))

                    Mallory,
                    In the car that performed the T-boning, you see a middle-aged man. His arm is clearly broken, but he's conscious and stirring.

                    The other car, however, is another story. Through windows shattered by the impact you see a woman, pale and bleeding from the nose and from a cut on her temple. A glance downward reveals that her left leg was sheared off at the ankle in the impact.

                    In the back is a car seat, in which a baby coughs and cries feebly. She also seems very, very pale, and is hardly moving.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "Oh no, it's alright, I can always call him back," he replied, suddenly realizing that he forgot to ask for Mr. Voyczyk's number in order to call him back. "So Ms. Scully, you had a case of disappearances?" he asked, withholding the embarrassment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
                        Freddy,
                        You see a light flashing a couple of times in the distance. Just as you're about to turn and look more closely, your foot lands on the edge of a wide crack in the bridge - and slips in.
                        ((OOC: Dex + Athletics to avoid getting tripped up, caught, or injured.))

                        Mallory,
                        In the car that performed the T-boning, you see a middle-aged man. His arm is clearly broken, but he's conscious and stirring.

                        The other car, however, is another story. Through windows shattered by the impact you see a woman, pale and bleeding from the nose and from a cut on her temple. A glance downward reveals that her left leg was sheared off at the ankle in the impact.

                        In the back is a car seat, in which a baby coughs and cries feebly. She also seems very, very pale, and is hardly moving.
                        Malory doesn't even have time to scowl at the man. She doesn't say a word, but she's thinking of several. "You'll live, sadder but wiser."

                        The woman has a while to live, and that foot can be reattached - the kid might not have that long.. Malory clears the glass with a sweep of her flashlight,, cuts the child from its seat, uses the straps to tie off the woman's leg, then pulls the kid clear and starts workin' her magic, right there in the maelstrom!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          "The primary case is this one," she noted producing the folder in her hand. "Sixteen year old red-headed boys going missing every so often over the past twenty years. I think the second incident is especially concerning. I'm hoping to either rule out interference from..." and she quietly nods her head in a manner meant to imply that he knew what she was talking about so that she could avoid saying it out loud. Swallowing her trepidation she pushed on. "From beyond the...Hedge. Or, barring that, identify some pattern that the Summers could use."

                          She hands over the folder. "This is the summary, there is a USB flash drive in there with the full details. There are some other...oddities. Dog-killing meteorites, alien abductions and strange urban legends about a serial killer named Sullivan that might be related to my...subject of interest, but the primary case for now is that folder. Incidentally, if....they actually do have some serial killer targeting people investigating things, you should be careful."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "Thank you, I will take that into consideration," he smiles as he takes the folder. While anybody would see the smile as simple gratitude, it actually came from a satisfaction that his legend was catching, and working. He looks at the folder, scowling a little at the flash drive, these whipper-snappers and their technology. Even so, he still knows how to glean its information. "Interesting case, I'll come to you with my findings and fee after I'm done," he explains, then he points to a scar on one of his hands, "Being a Mirrorskin, I can and will often change appearance, but you can identify me with this scar."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mallory nods as she efficiently knots the seatbelt into a tourniquet for the woman's leg, then turns to the baby. A moment of warm breeze accompanies Spring's magic, stirring but not parting the haze of concrete dust, and the baby's color improves. It begins coughing again immediately, however - you seem to have cleared its lungs for the moment, but every second in this dust cloud is going to just cause more problems.

                              Freddy deftly catches his balance and looks back to where that glint of light had been. What was that?

                              The phone in the office rings one more time. If it's answered, the same voice as earlier states, sternly, "I'm not accustomed to being brushed off, Mr. Nightshade."
                              Last edited by HobbitGuy1420; 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X