X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techpriest
    started a topic [OOC] Mage: The Awakening - Anthology of Power

[OOC] Mage: The Awakening - Anthology of Power

Welcome to Anthology of Power! I hope this game is enjoyable for everyone.

I'd like everyone's first post in this forum to include a copy of your Character Template from the recruitment thread. That way everyone's Character Info is easily accessible. In particular you may want to talk about an identity for your Cabal, but feel free to talk about anything you like so that we can get to know one another (Through the safe anonymous barrier of the internet of course)

PLAY BY POST GUIDELINES
    I've tried to create some guidelines to help a Play by Post game flow as smoothly as possible. Any of the following guidelines can be adjusted or completely altered as we go along, if necessary. Please feel free to point out anything you dislike about the game throughout play so that we can work on something that is fun for everyone.

In Character and Out of Character
    To begin with, we're going to try keeping all OOC info, including mechanics, completely in the OOC Thread. As noted above, we'll adjust this if needed.

Posting Order and Initiative
    For obvious reasons, the Storyteller will always post first. At the beginning of every Chapter, each Player will roll Initiative. This will be the Players' Posting Order, as well as their Combat Initiative for the duration of that Chapter. The Storyteller will make a single roll for Antagonist Initiative at the beginning of Combat.

Combat in a Play By Post Game
    Any experienced gamer has encountered those times when Combat just starts to drag on. Everyone starts missing, or stalemates happen. Even in a face to face game this can get old, and in a Play By Post it can be downright game killing. Expect me to nudge events along and move us through combat when necessary. (But only if necessary. As long as combat is exciting, we're playing through it just as we would in a face to face game.)

The general steps for Combat in this game will be as follows:
    • A Player declares an attack in the OOC Thread.
    • If the relevant Defenses or penalties haven't already been established, the Storyteller provides these.
    • The Player makes the dice roll and declares any successes.
    • The Storyteller explains the result.
    • The Player posts the narrative of events in the IC Thread.
    Later on, we may also experiment a little. Perhaps doing an entire Combat Scene in the OOC Thread, then doing single descriptive posts IC. I'm open to any ideas to improve combat for a Play by Post game.

House Rule: Effortless Casting
    When the only penalty for failing to cast a spell is a single turn of time, a Player can forego the spellcasting roll and receive one single success. Basically, this applies when a Mage can merely cast a simple spell again in the next turn without any risk, penalty, or expenditure of resources. Therefore, this does not apply when a Spell is Vulgar, costs Mana, is cast during a dangerous or time sensitive situation, during Ritual Magic, or when a Mage has altered the Spell's Factors. Naturally, the Storyteller has final say on what constitutes such situations. Obviously with a Potency of 1, such a Spell is weak and easily dispelled.

• crapcarp
    replied
    To make things a little more interesting, I'm gonna roll Composure + Subterfuge to see if Phoenix can keep his intimidating demeanor after that rough revelation.

[Hiding True Emotion: Composure + Subterfuge = 1 die → (2) 0 successes]

Welp, looks like he can't. Use that however you will.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    I'll post, then you can go crapcarp, if that's ok.

Leave a comment:

• crapcarp
    replied
    Okay, it seems like people are waiting for each other, so if no one feels like they should go next, could I just take my turn now? If someone else wants to take their turn before me, go ahead, but if not I'll just take my turn now because I do not want this game to die.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    So, is this still on?

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Yep, waiting for NC here. I thought she would eventually post either here (the remaining rolls for the Extended Research) or in the IC thread. I suspect she in turn expected either of us to post IC before her as well...

Is all a bit of a missunderstanding, I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• crapcarp
    replied
    Is everyone not posting because they're waiting on someone? 'Cause I am.

Leave a comment:

• Techpriest
    replied
    I think perhaps this got lost in the noise...it's a conspiracy. (badum tiss)

From post #144

Originally posted by Techpriest View Post

Astoria: Decoding the scroll will be an extended action of Intelligence + Investigation with your Cryptography specialty. Go ahead and make five rolls, with each roll representing an hour of work. (Five rolls because that's your dice pool, as per the limits on extended actions).
    Last edited by Techpriest; 03-21-2015, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Isn't it an Extended roll? I think you just keep rolling until you either reach the neccesary successes or hit your dice pool cap, wichever happens first. You got 1 Success on your first roll, you can keep working on it without problem. If you had scored no successes then maybe a -1 penalty for further attempts might have been in order, but you are fine

EDIT: you can go and make several rolls if you want to fast forward the scene to the resolution, wichever it ends up being. I remeber TP sugesting something like that for other Extended rolls.
    Last edited by Thorbes; 03-21-2015, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NoiseConspiracy
    replied
    It's taking me a bit to figure out what I want to do. Crapcarp and Thorbes can go before me while I sort out my action.

What are the terms on trying another cryptology roll? I assume that if I can I'll have a penalty for essentially trying a successive attempt, but I feel like I am doing an injustice if I don't give it another shot.

Leave a comment:

• NoiseConspiracy
    replied
    Yikes, looks like it is.

I'll get to this today. I have a decent load of work to do, but should have a response.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Glad to have you back. Hope you get better soon enough, being sick is horrible.

I think is Noise Conspiracy's turn in the IC thread?

Leave a comment:

• Techpriest
    replied
    Okay guys, I've filled in the post. Man, this has been an awful sickness, revealing itself to be worse and worse. I actually went to the ER. I'm recovering, but still not quite over it. It might be another week or two before I'm back at the top of my game. But I do want to get back under way before too much more time passes. Don't forget that I wrote out this story before hand, so I've got plenty of material to keep us going for quite some time (especially since I didn't take the pacing difference for Play By Posts into consideration.)

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Glad to know. Don't rush it though I'd rather wait a couple of weeks than knowing you got sick again.

Leave a comment:

• Techpriest
    replied
    Thanks guys. I'm in the recovery stage. I should be posting in the next week sometime.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X