Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OoC)(Exalted 2.5 Gunstar) To Boldly Go...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noodle
    replied
    Seeing as Jin's the intel guy, I've been trying to come up with a more cunning plan, but I got nothing. Moving toward STD's good for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jotun
    replied
    Noodle and Kelsyk: any last bright ideas before we try to make it to the sorceress via the direct path? I'm all for taking the "and we move towards the sorceress some more" option, but more than open to trying anyone else's plan.

Leave a comment:

• Dietaku
    replied
    Looking over the Core's fluff for Moonsilver Hearthstone Bracers, it seems you are right, and would lead me to similar conclusions. With this in mind, I'll rule that it does affect your natural soak, and therefore, is compatible with armor.

As for your Khatar question, this is getting into martial arts form weapons and not so much the Magical Materials stack problem, and it depends on the martial art. Each martial art can use one of the so-called "natural attacks" (Punch, kick, clinch) plus many have weapons which count as "Unarmed" for purposes of using that martial art. You're still using those weapons, but it allows you to use the MA ability when using them. So, in the case of using an Orichalcum Khatar with Solar Hero, you'd use the Khatar's profile if you have it equipped, and not the punch profile, so the bonus to the natural power of your punch or kick would not apply. Not to say this defeats the purpose of the charm; many martial arts have such charms, such as Violet Bier of Sorrows, which allow fighters caught in an ambush to use their fists as artifacts without wasting an action equipping them. Another thing to consider is that as a Lunar, you get easy access to natural attacks that other's don't ordinarily get (Bites, wing slaps, tail whips, etc.) and this broadens your potential martial arts options considerably, especially in the Dexterity extra action tree.

Flurries count as a series of actions; hence why they impose large penalties to your DV. Magical Flurries are another thing entirely, and their DV penalties can be minimized, such as Self as Cyclone Stance, which makes the entire series of actions the largest DV penalty of the actions performed, or such as Octopus and Spider Barrage, which allows you to attack as many times as you have limbs as though it is one attack. If in doubt for Magical flurries, look over the Charm that gives it to you, it ought to say what special considerations to DV penalties it has.

Also, I'm glad you're having a good time. If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to field them here. I or someone else, we have a few system experts here, can answer them for you.

Leave a comment:

• Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by kelsyk View Post
    Another mechanics questions:
    Does a flurry (magical or not) count as one action or is each attack made as part of it a seperate action? If a charm has a duration of one action would it last for the entire flurry or just the first attack?
    They're separate actions, but as I recall, a "One Action" Duration charm lasts until the next time your DV refreshes...

Leave a comment:

• kelsyk
    replied
    I come from background where the GM/DM/ST (I use those term interchangebly) tend to exercise their authority to having the final say, so feel free to stop me if you disagree.

From Core "The character's lethal soak increases by two, as her body adapts to flow around attacks." This seems indicate that the soak would be counted as natural soak, since the soak is not from blocking attacks with the bracers but from the magic changing how the body reacts to attacks. If the soak is considered natural then it should stack with armour; the example cited in the Errata specifically states that the two items don't stack because they both provide armoured soak.

On a only somewhat related topic, that does not effect Jarsiln. The enhancement bonus (from the Errata) for Fists of Iron Technique state that the orichalcum material bonus is provided to natural attacks when in the Solar Hero form. Do attacks made with a form weapon (like a khatar) count as natural attacks or do they count as unarmed but not natural attacks? If they are counted as natural does the enhancement bonus from FIsts of Iron Technique (which is from the charm not equipment) stack from the orichalcum material bonus the weapon might have?

If the ruling is still that they don't stack then can Jarsiln, next time he is on the ship, have his bracers recycled for components to make a new artifact.

Moonsilver Combat Bracers
    artifact: 2
    +3 dodge dice
    increase stamina by 4 for purposes of determining lethal soak
    attune cost: 4

Mechanically identical to standard Moonsilver Hearthstone Bracers, but use different method to increase soak.

Another mechanics questions:
    Does a flurry (magical or not) count as one action or is each attack made as part of it a seperate action? If a charm has a duration of one action would it last for the entire flurry or just the first attack?

I'll work on figuring out a Lunar version of the charm and post it once I have something.

Thanks for the answers to the Lore questions, one of the things I love (because of the opportunities) but also hate (because it requires so much of IC knowledge to come from the ST instead the books) is that the Exalted books provide vague descriptions or ideas to so much of the world without detailing it. Most of those questions haven't occured to Jarsiln and are just me, as the player, curious about.

Leave a comment:

• Dietaku
    replied
    It's all good, everyone. It is a PbP game, after all. I hope everything works out for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Jotun
    replied
    And the apologies continue! Sorry that I've been a bit spaced lately myself, but between starting a new job and a friend unexpectedly dropping in from out of town for a few days, I've been a bit here and there this last week. Hoping that things settle back to normal soon!

Leave a comment:

• Dietaku
    replied
    Ah, It's cool. Sorry about not notifying it clearly.

Leave a comment:

• Palemask
    replied
    Sorry about that-I was waiting for Wren to wake up. I will post as such shortly. (Also I moved, yaaaay)

Leave a comment:

• Dietaku
    replied
    Ah, sorry, everyone. I've been in a bit of a writer's block for this lately, but I'll try and brute force my way through it.

(Enien-Sensei pulls up a chair, clicks her pen in her left hand rather awkwardly, and starts to work)

Alrighty, kiddos. To answer Magnusar's and Kelsyk's first Lore question in one fell swoop; there hasn't been any Celestial Exalted (Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, etc.) in the Spiral independently. The handful I DO know of are so rare and such huge propaganda prizes that they are kept as pets/trophies in the Viridian Plaza, a planet at the exact center of the Spiral, where Ligier's forge and the Thing Infernal are kept. Even so, they're mostly Akuma, so they're kept in check that way.

As for the Sun's Shadow, he sided with the Maidens and the Gunstar. He is currently one of the best infiltrators they have, and is often lurking in the North, as he did not go along with the Gunstar on the Great Retreat, but does pop in from time to time. it is hinted that a Greater Astrology shields during Creation's nighttime to protect him from Ruvelia's gaze.

I will not go into the specifics of the second Lore question, as it seems that Noodle has answered that more or less how I would have.

As for the first mechanics question. I feel it would be mechanically appropriate to make a similar charm if you're so inclined. Looking at it, it would look to be perfect being a charm after Wasp Sting Blur, a charm that Jarsiln has, if I recall correctly. Also, it really isn't possible to acquire other splatbook's charms, unless you're an Eclipse Caste Solar.

The second Mechanics question? The ruling is as Exthalion says. Sadly this impedes Lunar soak builds somewhat.

Finally, I would like to pass on thanks for Exthalion and Noodle for passing on their knowledge to the others in the group. You all are great.

(With that, Enien gets up, takes off her lab coat, and gets ready for normal shenanigans)

Leave a comment:

• Noodle
    replied
    Lore questions:
    1)
    Now that the various exalted have returned to the Spiral, is it possible for people outside the Gunstar to recieve one of the 'good' exaltations. I would guess no, because the Spiral is still part of fate and the Seal of Five Divinities works for all of fate.

2)
    Could the Seal of Five Divinities be altered to gather Infernal and Abyssal exaltations, allowing them to be trapped (as the Core Sidereals did to the Solars) and denying their power to the Promordials?
    Not the ST, but I can answer these, as I discussed them with the ST at length while creating Jin.

1) No. The Maidens brought the Loom of Fate with them into the Gunstar, and rather than allow their enemies to retain control over the Fates of the spiral, the Primordials disconnected the Spiral from the Loom and built a new Fate-weaving engine that they control. Only those born within the Gunstar have a Loom-created Fate, and are therefore valid for Gunstar Celestial Exaltations.

2) This is actually the focus of Jin's character. It was postulated by Jin (and later proven with the death of Abaskeru), that manually placing an Infernal into Fate would cause the Seal to divert the Exaltation to the Gunstar post-mortem. After that, the Maidens would tie that particular exaltation into the Loom, making it behave like any other Gunstar Celestial shard. So, not so much an alteration of the Seal, but a method of weaponizing it. From what we discussed, altering the Seal would be too dangerous and risky to justify the potential gains. At least, the Maidens and Autochthon viewed it as such.

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    Character questions:

1)
    Can a Lunar learn Solar charms? Specifically can Jarsiln learn Observer-Decieving Attack? I understand it doesn't really fit into the Lunar standard of enhancing who the exalted is, rather than what the exalted does. However this charm fits well into my character playstyle and fits into the style of Lunars' favouring deception and misdirection over the Solars' brute force.
    If Jarsiln can learn the Solar charm, how much experience would it cost? The table provided in Core lists 16 experience for Eclipse caste to learn non-Solar charms. I understand that Lunars' lack the power to learn the highest levels of Sorcery and that their changing nature prevents them from having the precise control to learn Sidereal martial arts; however I think that their changing nature would allow them to adapt their essence to learn atleast the basic charms of other exalted.

2)
    In the errata it says that bonuses from equipment do not stack. Does that mean that the lethal soak provided by my Moonsilver Hearthstone Bracers (+2) does not stack with the lethal soak provided by by Moonsilver Everyman Armour (+6)? My first instinct says that they should stack because the bracers do not provide soak themselves, but increase the saok that is already there.

Lore questions:
    1)
    Now that the various exalted have returned to the Spiral, is it possible for people outside the Gunstar to recieve one of the 'good' exaltations. I would guess no, because the Spiral is still part of fate and the Seal of Five Divinities works for all of fate.

2)
    Could the Seal of Five Divinities be altered to gather Infernal and Abyssal exaltations, allowing them to be trapped (as the Core Sidereals did to the Solars) and denying their power to the Promordials?

Not the ST, but I do know the rules as written answer to the first two:

1): They cannot, owing to the fact that Solar charms are generally more powerful, more efficient, or both and no Lunar caste has charmshare. That said, you are free to develop a custom charm with a very similar effect rooted in a Lunar tree.

2): They do not stack, much like the speed reduction from jade weapons and hearthstone bracers do not stack.

Leave a comment:

• kelsyk
    replied
    Character questions:

1)
    Can a Lunar learn Solar charms? Specifically can Jarsiln learn Observer-Decieving Attack? I understand it doesn't really fit into the Lunar standard of enhancing who the exalted is, rather than what the exalted does. However this charm fits well into my character playstyle and fits into the style of Lunars' favouring deception and misdirection over the Solars' brute force.
    If Jarsiln can learn the Solar charm, how much experience would it cost? The table provided in Core lists 16 experience for Eclipse caste to learn non-Solar charms. I understand that Lunars' lack the power to learn the highest levels of Sorcery and that their changing nature prevents them from having the precise control to learn Sidereal martial arts; however I think that their changing nature would allow them to adapt their essence to learn atleast the basic charms of other exalted.

2)
    In the errata it says that bonuses from equipment do not stack. Does that mean that the lethal soak provided by my Moonsilver Hearthstone Bracers (+2) does not stack with the lethal soak provided by by Moonsilver Everyman Armour (+6)? My first instinct says that they should stack because the bracers do not provide soak themselves, but increase the saok that is already there.

Lore questions:
    1)

2)

Leave a comment:

• Exthalion
    replied
    I changed Iremiel's motivation and added a paragraph of backstory in the interests of promoting good relations with the NPCs. (It made him feel even more like Tyriel or Castiel, but the character archetype has its appeals.)

Leave a comment:

• Noodle
    replied
    Prof. Salzbourg-

Which side in the war does the Sun's Shadow, Five Days Darkness, support?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X