No announcement yet.

[OOC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did give Ragnar a Mentor, so I think I should touch on that.

Dr. Jacob Langley is a stuffy old English professor (as in, actually from England) who teaches art history at UChicago. Ragnar met Langley during orientation week, and Langley took an immediate liking to the young man, which surprised many who know the distant Langley immensely. Ragnar supposes that Langley sees him as an old soul who can appreciate cultural artifacts of by-gone ages. Langley's real passion is antiquities, and possesses a rather shocking breadth of knowledge about them. Additionally, Langley has expressed willingness to help Ragnar get through grad school, and has even offered to lend him aid in other fields as well. In return, Langley asks that Ragnar aid him in his personal research projects, and spend a couple hours a week in the library to help find references to specific artifacts in literature and historical documents. Ragnar sometimes suspects that there is more than meets the eye to Langley, and he sometimes thinks that Langley believes the same about him.

Mechanically, Langley possess the Crafts and Politics skills, and the Resources merit. The Crafts represents Langley's knowledge of archaeology and antiquities, and the Politics chiefly represents putting in a word where necessary to help Ragnar deal with administration and staff at UChicago. The Resources represents a willingness to lend Ragnar resources and supplies when needed, perhaps even lending an artifact for "independent" studies. I did see Langley as some sort of supernatural being who recognizes or suspects that Ragnar is a mage, and is willing to give him a helping hand for his own reasons. I don't really have any particular kind of being in mind, though. Ideally, I would like Langley's true nature- if he has one, he may just be a Sleeper who has taken a shine to Ragnar- to become an Obsession for Ragnar, or maybe an Aspiration that leads Ragnar to develop an obsession with whatever kind of being Langley ultimately turns out to be.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
      Caladriu - Love the NPC descriptions for Hakim's old cabal! I'll think of ways to incorporate them into the story in some way. One or more may reach out to some of you and offer mentorship. I think some may be initially distant with Moonstone because they associate him with Hakim's seemingly hubristic philosophy. However, i imagine they would ultimately sympathize with Moonstone after his Awakening as a result of pity for him after Hakim's death. Phoenix may learn about Hakim from one of them, after pursuing the Arrow.
      Especially since Askia is also a self-defense instructor like Phoenix.

Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
      crapcarp - Thanks for putting the new character sheet post up. I updated my link on the OP. The info looks great!
      Thank you, I do try! Hopefully I can update this post and have it seen.

Little side note, anything within angled brackets (<>) is something that will be added later. So the Order benefits are placed within angled brackets because he hasn't joined the Adamantine Arrow yet. Also, because I'm an artist, I'll be drawing up Phoenix myself, so I'll have a picture up soon.

Comment

• Oh, nice! I very much would like to have an image of dear Phoenix.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Originally posted by crapcarp View Post
          Also, because I'm an artist, I'll be drawing up Phoenix myself, so I'll have a picture up soon.
          Nice! I never could draw people, it always ended up looking really weird. Hence scouring the internet for pictures of people who look close enough to the image in my head.

Comment

• Finished off Nimbus details, added Aspirations. Is it alright if I leave Obsession to be filled in during the game?

Comment

• Originally posted by MagicSwordsman View Post
              Finished off Nimbus details, added Aspirations. Is it alright if I leave Obsession to be filled in during the game?
              I would prefer if you came up with one now, and then if you decide that one fits better or don't like it, I'll let you change it. Obsessions influence social maneuvering, give ways to earn arcane beats and mana, and affect other certain rolls like focused Mage sight for related Mysteries.

Obsessions could be really straightforward if you're stuck. Maybe gain a new dot of Gnosis or an Arcanum, use focused Mage sight during a Highstorm, or enter another realm other than the material world (e.g., the Shadow).

My Games
              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• OK, in that case I think my starting Obsession will be "Interact with ephemeral entities" (unless you think that that's too generic) and I'll change my first Aspiration to "perform a summoning ritual" (unless that seems to close to double-dipping).

Comment

• Works for me! That's the only thing I think you had left for your character to be ready that I could see.

crapcarp - Did you decide which Forces 2 attainment you wanted to go with? Otherwise, I think you're all set.

I think everyone else is all set, too. Beans - When you have a chance, please copy/paste the rest of that info to your character sheet post so I can find it more easily.

I'll try to get more info up today about La Grange, answer any remaining questions, and then we can finally try to get some stuff on the road! Thanks for your patience this week. It's hard to be productive when you're sitting on the beach all day.

My Games

Comment

• Quick questions about Arcanum attainments: the experience chart states that Legacy attainments have an experience cost, but it doesn't mention regular non-Legacy attainments. Does this mean that attainments tied to Arcanum are acquired automatically? And can you only have one Arcanum attainment per dot in each Arcanum (i.e., you can have Precise Force at Force 2 or Force Mage Armor at Force two, but not both)?

Comment

• Haberdasher, my take on it is as follows, quoted from the relevant passages, with emphasis mine:

...Attainments are available to all mages as their understanding of magic (as measured by the Arcana) increases. As a mage’s rating in an Arcanum increases, she gains access to new Attainments. The Orders instruct their members on how to use these abilities, but the instruction bears more resemblance to conditioning in athletics or fundamental principles in mathematics.
                      Lesser Utilities (i.e., the Attainments gained from 2 dots in an Arcanum) are Attainments that fit into the purview of the Arcana, but don’t map to the Practices and rely more on a general understanding of the Arcanum in question than of specific spells. Below are some of the most common Lesser Utilities, though the players and the Storyteller may devise others.
                      There are no limits to the number of Arcana attainments you can have by default. The fact that they're more like techniques suggests that, when you join an Order, they simply teach you the Attainments in the same way that they teach you Rotes and High Speech. For balancing purposes, I would argue that you would have to pay an experience cost for other Utility Attainments, in the same vein that you'd have to pay for Legacy Attainments, but that's ST's discretion.
                      Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM.

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

Comment

• My understanding is a little different.

For non-legacy attainments, you "unlock" all of them for free as you gain new dots in Arcana. You gain each of them for a certain level as indicated. So, for example, at 2 dots you get a Lesser Utility and Mage Armor for that Arcanum. There is no experience cost for these.

The reason I asked crapcarp about Phoenix is because he had previously created an alternative Lesser Utility attainment for Forces and asked me if he could use it instead. I don't think he has settled on which of the two he wants, which is why I mentioned it.

As for having multiple Lesser Utility attainments per Arcanum (or multiple attainments at any new dot level), I don't think that's what the books suggest. I think they mean you can pick alternate effects to substitute for the original ones, kind of like how in D&D some people make alternate class features or design new feats with DM permission. Because attainments are not subject to dissonance and do not provoke paradox, and especially because gaining additional attainments is one of the key reasons to invest in a Legacy, I would prefer not to allow players to create and purchase additional non-legacy attainments.

My Games

Comment

My understanding is a little different.

For non-legacy attainments, you "unlock" all of them for free as you gain new dots in Arcana. You gain each of them for a certain level as indicated. So, for example, at 2 dots you get a Lesser Utility and Mage Armor for that Arcanum. There is no experience cost for these.

The reason I asked crapcarp about Phoenix is because he had previously created an alternative Lesser Utility attainment for Forces and asked me if he could use it instead. I don't think he has settled on which of the two he wants, which is why I mentioned it.

As for having multiple Lesser Utility attainments per Arcanum (or multiple attainments at any new dot level), I don't think that's what the books suggest. I think they mean you can pick alternate effects to substitute for the original ones, kind of like how in D&D some people make alternate class features or design new feats with DM permission. Because attainments are not subject to dissonance and do not provoke paradox, and especially because gaining additional attainments is one of the key reasons to invest in a Legacy, I would prefer not to allow players to create and purchase additional non-legacy attainments.
                          I had forgotten that crapcarp had mentioned doing an alternate attainment, so I thought he was stuck on picking one, and I momentarily wondered if I had grossly misinterpreted the text again like I had with rotes.

Comment

My understanding is a little different.

Perfectly reasonable.

I have to ask though, where does it say that Legacy attainments don't provoke Paradox or incite Quiescence? I know that was the case in 1st Edition, but I can't find the passage for this in 2nd Ed.

Comment

• I'm having a hard time finding good info on my phone, because I don't have a search feature. But attainments aren't spells, and paradox is only caused by spellcasting or reaching. I'm pretty sure dissonance and quiescence only apply to spells, too.

My Games

Comment

• I think what frustrates me is the lack of clarity in the book - or maybe I'm just daft. It does say that a Legacy Attainment is, paraphrased, "invoking an internalised Praxis from her reshaped soul, rather than reaching into the Supernal" - and spellcasting is invoking the Supernal directly. So you're right that Legacy Attainments can't invoke Paradox. I wish the rulebook could spell it out more clearly, though.

The Curse strikes a Sleeper when she sees obvious magic, either during the spell’s casting or encountering its effects later.
                                Page 298. A blatant Legacy Attainment, e.g., a Tamer of Fire's manipulation of fire, could be defined as "obvious magic" - yet, as mentioned above, it is an effect from a reshaped soul, rather than drawn from the Supernal...

This frustrates me. I'll not dispute your ruling either way, and I appreciate the insight.

I'm looking forward to the campaign! Got an ETA on when it kicks off?

Comment

Working...
                                X