X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRB, updating my shipping diagram.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

• Might not be bad to post that at the end of chapters to visually represent the changes in cabal relations over time.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
        rwknoll There's something weirdly endearing about the stock photos of photogenic white models you've been using as NPC portraits, haha. I think Dr. Gray was my favorite, but Valentine is up there. I like to use the art from Urban Shadows in my game, it's really good at setting a tone.
        Dr. Gray's was chosen intentionally because it was cheesy, I liked the idea of your typical White suburban man for that character. Valentine was chosen because I just think his image and appearance fit what I had in mind for him really well. Mostly I'm just Google searching broad descriptions ("rich man in suit", "punk girl with red hair") and scrolling until I find a good pick, haha.

Question for you all: How much exposition and background info do you enjoy in these kinds of games outside of combat? My thinking is that you're finally in a private, non-urgent scenario with three very different mages who could potentially provide a ton of backstory and details about recent events, as well as answer so many of your characters' questions about magic, mage society, etc. They may not feel compelled to do so, but it could easily be a longer taking scene.

I personally really find that aspect of RP games fascinating, but I know that lots of other people don't and find combat or more active conflict more rewarding. Trying to cater to the general audience here. What are your thoughts?

My Games
        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• I want background and exposition. I want to interact with the players and the NPCs, explore personalities, follow the mysteries at hand, deal with conflicts with Mage's flexible and creative mysteries...

I don't like combat. I'd rather have, as you worded it, active conflicts: tense situations. High stakes, the thrill of the chase, or running away, or getting to something first, without it having to come to blows. That's not to say there can't be combat - the Gulmoth is a good example of conflict done right, to be honest, in that it didn't feel forced, and there was a true sense of urgency. But I don't want combat to be a focus at all. It's a storytelling medium, but it's one I'd rather see scarcely used.

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

Comment

• Personally, I find that how a character delivers exposition can be useful for fleshing out their personality and motivation. Are there some things they are more comfortable discussing than others? Are there groups they dislike? I'm okay with this scene playing out over the next few days. Should give the gang time to get to know Mathias' cabal, and for them to form more solid opinions of them.

Combat, I think, should be plot-relevant. If we get jumped by, say, a cabal of Seers, let it be the event that gives us a permanently bad impression of the Seers, or because we've started investigating a Mystery, and the fight clues us in that the Seers might be responsible. But combat in 2e definitely has a lethality to it that I wasn't expecting.

Comment

• Ultimately I feel like exposition falls flat if it turns into a lecture hall. As long as it feels like a conversation, like we're roleplaying and not just listening, and we're learning things that we can't get from the corebook (things about Mathias/Valentine/Boomer, their cabal, the local setting), then I think it works.

I think that active conflict is an important part of the game (and that combat is an important part of active conflict), but I also feel like we've had a lot of that in the game recently so now would be an appropriate time to shift to something a little more relaxed for a while.
              Last edited by MagicSwordsman; 10-07-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Echoing what everyone else said. I enjoy tension and combat (and other active situations, maybe using the Chase and Social Maneuvering systems), but we've had a lot of that so far and now that we've gotten to know our characters, I think we can move out of every-action-counts mode and have a more drawn out conversation and investigation. I'd like it if we could abstract this scene a little bit and say that we've taken a few minutes to rest and recover, and now we're having a prolonged conversation over a couple hours.

I'm with MagicSwordsman on exposition though. I'd like to have an active back and forth. We've all read the core book, we know the basics about the Supernal vs. Fallen and the Arcana and Gnosis and rotes and stuff, I don't think we need the 101 on that written out for us. We can assume that's been covered and skip ahead an hour or so to the meatier, more specific stuff where our characters can ask questions and decide how they feel about certain things. Maybe you could present one or two topics of discussion for us to weigh in on, and ask our own questions?

2E Legacy Updates
                Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                Storm Keepers

Comment

• Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                  Echoing what everyone else said. I enjoy tension and combat (and other active situations, maybe using the Chase and Social Maneuvering systems), but we've had a lot of that so far and now that we've gotten to know our characters, I think we can move out of every-action-counts mode and have a more drawn out conversation and investigation. I'd like it if we could abstract this scene a little bit and say that we've taken a few minutes to rest and recover, and now we're having a prolonged conversation over a couple hours.

I'm with MagicSwordsman on exposition though. I'd like to have an active back and forth. We've all read the core book, we know the basics about the Supernal vs. Fallen and the Arcana and Gnosis and rotes and stuff, I don't think we need the 101 on that written out for us. We can assume that's been covered and skip ahead an hour or so to the meatier, more specific stuff where our characters can ask questions and decide how they feel about certain things. Maybe you could present one or two topics of discussion for us to weigh in on, and ask our own questions?
                  Agreed. I'm okay with it being taken for granted that the cabal's had the basics explained. Maybe the Orders were just briefly discussed, and the cabal can ask about the nature of them and where their new "friends" fit into them. Seeing as how Mathias is an Acanthus and a théarch, I'm okay with Ragnar just kind of joining out of loyalty/obedience to his probable mentor. But giving an in-character opportunity for the cabal to express interest in a particular order to color each other's perception of each other would be nice.

Comment

• Cool, sounds like we are all on the same page!

I'm used to playing more D&D games, and although my friends from that play group are wholeheartedly roleplay-focused, they also are generally more interested in skill- and combat-based encounters, and I feel like Chronicles of Darkness games shine more in character development.

I'm out of town this weekend celebrating my wife's birthday, but I have Monday off so hopefully will be able to keep posting on and off this weekend. Thanks for your patience.

My Games

Comment

• Originally posted by crapcarp View Post
                      rwknoll Speaking of 2E Legacy conversions, the Fixed Reach element has given me a particular headache when making the Attainments for them. So I devised a house rule where they had instant casting without taking a Reach, or you got 1 extra Reach to work with if it had ritual casting time. Yes, this effectively means that you got 1 extra free Reach, but considering Rotes can give you anywhere from 0 to 4 extra free Reach, and that's their main draw for spending the Experience on them, I think giving just 1 extra ain't that big of a deal. That, and a lot of the 2E Legacy conversions I've seen tend to give a the extra Reach anyways. Mostly because I think it's simply impractical otherwise for most Attainments.

That said, up to you on what rules you wanna go with. I'll devise a 2E conversion on Tamers of Fire once I know what ruling you're going with (inb4 someone points out the conversion thread for the Legacy, I'm perfectly aware of its existence, I'm going to be posting my own version on there soon and I'll link it on here once I've posted it).
                      Looking back through the thread and wanted to ask about this. I'd be glad to look over your idea for the Legacy conversion, as I would like to use it for Boomer. I've been reviewing Legacies from 1E and I think it fits my concept of her the best. What primary Arcanum do you think it should use?

Going to look over the 2E errata and see if anything was changed to Legacies. My problem is that the PDF isn't saving properly in Google Drive so I can't open it on the app on my phone, it's not recognizing it as a PDF type of file. Does anyone know how to fix that?

My Games

Comment

• I'd like to know how Boomer, Mathias and Valentine personally view the Paths and Orders, if that's possible? It's something Lynx would've asked during exposition hour. Should I request that IC, or would it be easier to just post it OOC and then refer to it IC now during question hour?

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

Comment

• Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
                          Looking back through the thread and wanted to ask about this. I'd be glad to look over your idea for the Legacy conversion, as I would like to use it for Boomer. I've been reviewing Legacies from 1E and I think it fits my concept of her the best. What primary Arcanum do you think it should use?
                          Mind. It's an Obrimos Legacy that also focuses on Forces, so Mind works best. Besides, they're mostly about inspiring people to greatness by being the Hero with a Thousand Faces.

Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
                          Going to look over the 2E errata and see if anything was changed to Legacies. My problem is that the PDF isn't saving properly in Google Drive so I can't open it on the app on my phone, it's not recognizing it as a PDF type of file. Does anyone know how to fix that?
                          Sadly, I don't. But the only errata change I've seen on Legacies is Free from the Lie, which basically means they don't risk Paradox, as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon View Post
                            I'd like to know how Boomer, Mathias and Valentine personally view the Paths and Orders, if that's possible? It's something Lynx would've asked during exposition hour. Should I request that IC, or would it be easier to just post it OOC and then refer to it IC now during question hour?
                            I think it makes sense to just ask about in character. Ragnar has already posed the question about why they chose their Orders, so I'll have them touch on that.

My Games

Comment

• When would be a good moment to join in? Maybe when the group gets introduced to more mages?

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                                When would be a good moment to join in? Maybe when the group gets introduced to more mages?
                                I think that the first chapter will be just about wrapping up after this scene. It's a good break in the story, and would introduce you after that.

Would it be alright if we say that Mathias has already met your character shortly after his Awakening? Your character would have had the chance to learn the same things that the others here have as well. Mathias could recommend that the other new mages here consider letting him in their cabal, because of the advantage of having a Moros mage. Would that work?

I might have missed it, but have you copied over your character sheet to the forum format like the others here are using? Otherwise I won't be able to access your character sheet while I'm at work.

My Games

Comment

Working...
                                X