X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, he's fun to play/write!

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

• I'm still struggling with grief IRL, and that might reflect on Lynx in a rather emo way, so I apologise for that in advance.

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

Comment

• Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon Very sorry to hear about that. My condolences.

​I may have just done something very rash.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• Well that escalated quickly.

Comment

• This just got a lot more interesting. All we need is for Boomer, Binder, and Lynx to show up.

Quick question: what is the threshold for overcoming a target's Withstand Attribute? Do you just need a number of successes equal to the Withstand Attribute?

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• rwknoll Yay, my first Experiences! Which leads me to ask the question: How exactly is spending Experiences going to be handled?

Originally posted by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon View Post
              I'm still struggling with grief IRL, and that might reflect on Lynx in a rather emo way, so I apologise for that in advance.
              My condolences as well. I hope Phoenix isn't acting too awfully unrealistically. I've never gone through grief myself, so I'm just feeling it out as best I can.

Originally posted by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon View Post
              Well that escalated quickly.
              Indeed, and I'm lovin' it.

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post
              Quick question: what is the threshold for overcoming a target's Withstand Attribute? Do you just need a number of successes equal to the Withstand Attribute?
              No, if a spell is Withstood, it reduces the spell's Potency. If a spell has 0 Potency, the spell's still cast and is there (in terms of scrutinizing, spell count, etc.) but it's effect is nullified, so a spell has to have a Potency higher than the Withstanding Attribute in order to take effect. In Ragnar's case, Psychic Dominion has to have a Potency of 3 (which it does).
              Last edited by crapcarp; 10-10-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• After we resolve the rolls for the grappling, I would like to pause the action in that scene. Mathias would have replied or intervened by now, but I haven't had time tonight to post. Loving the conflict and action, though.

My Games
                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                  Moonstone
                  Clearly I'm biased, but I think Defense applies here. Moonstone talked to Phoenix 10 seconds ago, he's totally aware that he's present and just broke his spell, and it's clearly a tense situation so he'd be on guard. Moonstone has Defense 7, so Phoenix would either fail or roll a chance die for the grapple, depending on how rwknoll handles it.
                  While I still think Phoenix still has the element of surprise, it doesn't actually matter because I just remembered Phoenix can do an all-out attack, leaving 2 dice and coming up with 1 success, so I'll just edit the post.

Comment

• Ok, posted. MagicSwordsman, are you around and interested in commenting on this scene too? Just want to make sure we're not forgetting you.

My Games

Comment

• Way to go, Moonstone!

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• I don't think I've ever experienced a more intense scene in all my years of RP, which is also frustrating, as I literally have no idea how to respond to this.

Comment

• Turns out Lynx's response is to snap as well.

What a day.

Comment

• Ok, pause the IC action again.

So I'm having a couple of thoughts here.

On one hand, I think Moonstone is acting in line with his character's values and beliefs. He is clearly thoughtful and you're role playing him very well, and the scene is more vivid and realistic because of that.

At the same time, I'm concerned as a ST because your character appears to be well on his way to writing himself into a corner in which he is the enemy of the other PCs. His earlier actions have been questionable but accepted by the others due to them giving Moonstone a few free passes. But so far Moonstone has caused Phoenix, Lynx, and Ragnar to feel outraged. I need Moonsfone to be accepted by the others enough that they would allow him to join their cabal, which requires a level of trust and intimacy I don't feel is there right now. Phoenix would like to bash your head in, Lynx seems like he is questioning whether he even wants to join mage society in total, and the others haven't posted their reactions yet so I'm not sure if I'm reading into it too much or not.

I can see this going one of several ways. Moonstone would need to come down from his high seated horse to a reality check, and feel genuinely remorseful for how he is behaving, to the point that others pity him enough to accept him but not to the point of loathing him.

Secondly, the Shields of Dawn may intervene. Because they are built around positive morals, they most likely would rescind your welcome and eject you from their sanctum. Moonstone would be on his own, and the rest of the cabal would likely move on without him. I don't like this option because I like your character depth and history, and I think it screws you over majorly. But my NPCs are not inclined to befriend you here.

I think I can come up with a response that would help us move forward, but before I do, I'd like to hear the group's thoughts to make sure I'm not reading into this way more than everyone else. Looking for input on how to address issues of cabal unity before the cabal is formed.

My Games

Comment

• Lynx is just upset and tired. Not having willpower, having watched Ragnar get mauled by an entity to that degree, having caused apparently a chain reaction of grief? It's a hard case of reality interfering with his euphoric idea of what the magical world is like. Having people he feels close to by virtue of being the first Awakened he's ever met clash over something he considers insignificant? Of course he's angry.

I think his issue is that he can't really resonate with the Shields of Dawn - the best way to resolve this IC is, once the dust settles, they find a Thyrsus that he can talk to. As for Orders, the idea is Mysterium, but I think he's a little bit uncertain at the moment. I have full intent on having him join Mage Society, but this scene isn't making a great impression on him. But you mustn't forget, his Vice is Gluttonous, though admittedly I'm not playing that very well. He wants more magic. He wants more of the Awakened world. He wants to meet others, to get to know the rest of the group, and the Shields of Dawn.

As for Moonstone, Lynx is angry with him, yes, but I have no intentions of letting that go out of hand. The easiest solution here is that Lynx and Moonstone talk about it on their own, I think. Moonstone did ask Lynx to heal the others and himself in a kind way, and Lynx doesn't think Moonstone's evil, just... a little too vain and proud at the moment. If Moonstone were to apologise for the things he said, or at least admit that he was wrong about what happened with the Gulmoth, that would go a long way - but I don't want Caladriu to be forced into doing that if he feels that would be the wrong direction to take.

Lynx also knows that it was dumb of him to yell like that, so he's inclined to apologise for that if necessary.

Rest assured, Lynx is going to join Mage society - maybe with more scepticism - and he isn't going to stay mad at Moonstone, nor will this truly affect his relationship with him, I don't think. At worst, Lynx will be a little wary around him, but the Thyrsus knows what it's like to get dragged into the torrent of passion and emotion. That doesn't mean Moonstone's actions are acceptable, but Lynx won't begrudge him that.

Hope that eases your mind, rwknoll.

Let's hope the outburst gets Lynx into some trouble, though. Would be nice to get Willpower from his Passionate Virtue.
                              Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-11-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix is unsure of what to think of Moonstone at the moment. Here's the thing: Phoenix's thinking boils down primarily to the belief of an overarching narrative. It's where his Rigid Vice comes from, he tends to see things in black and white. This extends to people, he sees them as characters starring in their own individual stories and play their roles in other people's.

So right now he simply doesn't know what role Moonstone is playing. Is he an outright villain, or is his journey just being a little bumpy at the moment? Phoenix wants to find out and see where things go. He's certainly enraged at Moonstone for his hubris, but if he accepts he has done wrong and makes up for it, Phoenix can certainly forgive him (Compassionate Virtue, yo).

That said, he's certainly ain't trusting Moonstone with the staff, and will demand to have it regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X