Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OOC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] Mountains of Shadow

Mountains of Shadow
    The Rocky Mountains and their rural countryside provide a distinct contrast to the growing urbanization around Denver, Colorado. This duality is reflected in the Fallen World, but in many places along the Rockies, the Gauntlet is so razor thin -- or even absent -- that the Shadow and its spirit denizens bleed into the realm of mortals. In and around the Denver metropolitan area, odd fluctuations in the Gauntlet lead to frequent and temporary Irises, and this grand Mystery has been the source of study for quite some time.

Some Mystagogues claim that these Irises open up not at random times or places, but somehow in response to other events in the region. Thearchs claim that these Irises may be used to their advantage to encourage Awakening among Sleepers. Many mages, regardless of their Order or Path, Obsess over their ability to gain power and influence in the region through their interaction with the Shadow.

But mages aren't the only supernatural beings with a claim to the Shadow. The Uratha, or werewolves, claim this realm as their birthright and defend its natural order with tooth and nail. Some werewolves and mages create alliances, usually grudgingly or temporarily, and set aside their differences to stop a spirit invasion. Others are outright hostile and will attack other supernatural beings on sight. But many of the rest are cautious, choosing to study the other warily before creating unncessary risk by inviting retaliation.

In a city where danger can strike and Mysteries can be found at any time, across multiple realms, who's to say what's safe?

Current Player Characters
    1. Retias - Spider, Obrimos security consultant/hacker
    2. wtaylorjr2001 - Dr. Luck, Acanthus best-selling author
    3. Thorbes - Ouroboros Ophis, Moros occult physician
    4. Tambov - Simurgh, Thyrsus cryptid hunter
    5. ChaosArchon - TBD?

----------------

Awakened Denver
    The heart of Denver, Colorado is a growing urban metropolis known as an economic hub for trade, storage and transportation, and energy and mining. Tall skyscrapers stand out to anyone looking towards the city from a distance. Downtown Denver is famous for its outdoor recreation events, sports, and the creative arts. At the same time, located only a little over 10 miles from the foothills to the Rocky Mountains, a sprawling rural landscape teeming with wildlife surrounds the city. Locals argue that their city has the best of both worlds: the city has great opportunities for fast-paced careers and a healthy music scene, but the country is always there for a chance to decompress and keep you grounded.

For mages, aspects of this urban-rural duality are even more pronounced. It is true throughout the world that in urban areas teeming with people, the Gauntlet -- the membrane separating the material world and the Shadow -- is at its thickest. Here, the Shadow often looks markedly different than the mundane realm, due to the way that Essence springs up from the mass of people living there. In contrast, the Gauntlet thins in less populated areas, and the Shadow and Fallen Worlds tend to more closely resemble each other.

In Denver, however, the Shadow spills over into the city and the area in unpredictable -- and often dangerous -- ways. Sure, the Gauntlet is still often thicker downtown and thin in the countryside, but it's not always the case. Verges, the Irises to the Shadow that any mortal or spirit can physically cross, regularly pop open around the city, even in heavily populated areas. Ever-hungry spirits teem into the city, some materializing to feed on Denverites' Essence. These Irises don't typically stay open long -- usually no more than a few hours at a time -- but even brief gateways to the Shadow can wreak havoc on the city. On more than one occasion, Sleepers have accidentally stumbled into the Shadow, only to be locked inside when the Iris closes. Those whom mages have been able to rescue, unfortunately a minority among those who go missing, almost inevitably suffer from severe emotional breakdowns.

In the countryside, where the Gauntlet is already thin, spirits tend to be less disruptive because they can already feed on Essence across the Gauntlet with regularity and ease. However, some of these spirits grow restless and bold, reaching across to the Fallen World and clinging or anchoring themselves to something, or someone, material as a means of remaining indefinitely. Loci, areas where the Gauntlet is razor thin, can be found scattered around these rural areas.

Uratha, or werewolves, reside in and make their presence known in Denver at much higher rates than in most other metropolitan regions, assumedly out of necessity. From their perspective, it is in their very nature to straddle the material and spirit realms. Like mages feel Obsessions to pursue the arcane arts, werewolves feel a primal drive to hunt spirits (and humans) who threaten the harmony between these worlds. But similarly out of necessity, more Thyrsus willworkers settle in the region, and even mages from other Paths tend to dedicate time to the study of at least basic Spirit magic. Some mages call on ghosts or Goetia to combat spirits; others try to summon Supernal beings, or just blast the damn things with a well-aimed spell. Because most werewolves see mages' abilities as unnatural and predatory, they are nearly as likely to see mages as prey as the actual spirits interfering with the material world.

----------------

Awakened Politics
    The tension between Uratha and mages is tangible, and often plays a central role in Consilium discussions and politics. The current Hierarch, a male Thyrsus Guardian by the Shadow Name of Kitpu, appears to be in his 50s and is well-known as a Master of both Spirit and Life, if not more. He is a quiet man whose voice carries with authority when he speaks. He is respected by many shamans in the Denver area and, grudgingly, by a number of Uratha as well. He is close friends and cabalmates with Maxima, a Mastigos woman who serves as the Adamant Sage and one of several Sentinels in Denver.

The Adamantine Arrow has always attracted newly Awakened mages who want to learn how to better defend themselves and their city, especially with the threat of Uratha or spirit attacks. Their initiation process usually involves "trial by fire," with mages being dropped blindfolded in the middle of the countryside and sent on a task they must accomplish using only basic tools and supplies before navigating their way back to the city. The Order's efforts have saved many lives and curbed countless spirit-related problems in the city.

Silver Ladder mages attempt to monitor Sleepers who witness manifested spirits, believing that frequent exposure to the Shadow might speed up Awakening, especially for shamans. Their Mystery Cults include therapy groups for Sleepers who accidentally stumbled into an Shadowed Door and lived to tell the tale, and are consistently well-attended. Members of the Mysterium spend a great deal of time searching for items that wild spirits have fettered themselves to, and use or hide away these fetishes depending on the strength and danger of the spirit inhabiting the item. They also try to study when and where the Shadowed Doors form, believing that local events might sometimes explain why certain Irises open or close. Guardians of the Veil, in turn, dedicate most of their efforts to making sure that the thearchs and Mystagogues don't breach the Veil or cause too much trouble with the Uratha. Guardians sometimes have to keep a newly initiated, hotheaded Talon in line, but otherwise they have traditionally maintained good relationships with the Adamantine Arrow.

The Council of Free Assemblies has made very impressive and notable efforts to expand in the past few years. Many Libertines work as researchers, businessmen, artists, or scientists in the city. No small number of them are academics at the University of Colorado-Denver or its affiliated medical school. Their ability to incorporate technology into their willworking draws many younger mages to the Free Council in particular.

----------------

Recent Events
    You have recently Awakened. The experience was very different for each of you, but in all cases, it didn't take long for another mage to cross your path. You were introduced to a new world of Awakened society and mentored on the basics of how to mold reality to your will. After initiating the Order of your choice, you were each encouraged to seek out other newly identified mages to whom you could form a cabal.

Through a series of networking, timing, and shared interests, you have formed a new cabal. What you do from here, what Mysteries you pursue, and how far your journey will take you...Well, that's yet to be seen.
    Last edited by rwknoll; 07-28-2016, 10:31 AM.

My Games
    Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

By the way, do you have Werewolf 2nd ed?

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

I'm debating changing from Sara myself. I'm not sure how well a hacker type would fit into a largely rural environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
        By the way, do you have Werewolf 2nd ed?
        Yep! I will have to brush up on it again, but I remember liking it.

Retias - There will be urban things too, as it will take place around Denver. But I could see why you might want to change parts of the back story. An Obrimos would definitely still have things to offer to the group.

My Games

Comment

Nice! I love the crossover elements with Werewolf. I think I'll keep to the doctor archetype, but maybe change the background to better fit it to the setting. Probably keep the Path too, unless you consider that having restricted access to Spirit would slow the group down.

Comment

Spirit is not the only Arcana that matters. Spirits that are materialized in the Fallen world can be interacted with using any physical or magical means, barring Numina. And a Thyrsus Mage can allow you to affect spirits in the Shadow.

Spirits won't be the only antagonists, obviously. There are always Sleepers, Mages, and all sorts of goodies.

My Games

Comment

Cool! Keeping de Moros doctor in.

Comment

I would like to play the author acanthus guy please. I will write up a much better backstory later today. I will also write up his family and friends and other parts of the backstory.
                Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 07-01-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

The way it is looking now I will have that background and everything done tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by wtaylorjr2001 View Post
                    The way it is looking now I will have that background and everything done tomorrow.
                    Ok! Hey, no immediate time pressure. I need everyone to post character concepts and make character sheets, too, before we could start. That might not happen as quickly because I know some people may want to change from their original submission.

And as I said in the other thread, I'm out of town on vacation until July 10, so I may have less time to post.

My Games

Comment

Reposting Sara with some background changes for the new location. Can I ask ohers to repost their characters, even if they're using the same concepts from before? (Makes it easier for me to check references for suggesting character ties.)

1. Character concept/archetype:

Sara Tath - 'Security Consultant' (Read, legalized hacker)

Sara is something of a scandal in her home town. That might have something to do with the fact that she managed to plunge half the county into darkness when she was twelve and hacked into the electrical grid, marrying technical know how with being too young to really grasp the consequences of her actions. The FBI and NSA both took a certain interest at that point and she went through a lot of questioning to ensure she didn't have ties to untrustworthy elements.

She also got a lot of warnings and restrictions, but at the same time, her skills received more positive attention and her education was watched and shaped by those who had found her and wanted to ensure she was kept under control and motivated to use them in more desired ways. Her childhood and youth was therefore an awkward time, people both angry at her, and envious at what she could do, and the tale of the 'Blackout' circulated for a number of years.

2. Awakening:

Path: Obrimos

Her Awakening came about after several weeks of toying with code and the most complex program she'd ever worked on, one that kept filing on her for reasons she couldn't grasp. It was designed to write it own code, to solve simple problems she put to it and to be adapt to find correct solutions. She lost herself in the shining, ever more complex code as it grew tangled and ensnared her like a web, systems flickering to life and dying around her as she felt more and more, like she was in a living creature.

When she realized that everything she felt and sensed around her in the web as the living energy of both the physical and the digital world, her eyes finally opened.

3. Preferred game/player style: I'd be very keen on exploring mysteries and seeking answers, as well as dealing with tough choices and philosophical quandaries.

Comment

Player: wtaylorjr2001
                        Chronicle: Mountains of Shadow
                        Shadow Name: Dr Luck
                        Sympathetic Name: Michael Korn

Path: Acanthus
                        Order: Mysterium
                        Cabal:
                        Legacy:

Virtue: Generous
                        Vice: Hasty
                        Concept: Author

Attributes
                        Intelligence: 2
                        Wits: 2
                        Resolve: 2

Strength: 2
                        Dexterity: 3
                        Stamina: 2

Presence: 3
                        Manipulation: 2
                        Composure: 4

[5/3/4 distribution with extra dot put into Composure]

Skills
                        Academics:
                        Computer:
                        Crafts:
                        Investigation: 2 (Interviewing) Order Skill
                        Medicine:
                        Occult: Arcadia 3 (First Dot Free) Order Skill
                        Politics:
                        Science:

Athletics: 3 (Swimming)
                        Brawl: 2
                        Drive: 0
                        Firearms: 1
                        Larceny: 0
                        Stealth: 0
                        Survival: 0 Order Skill
                        Weaponry: 1

Animal Ken: 0
                        Empathy: 0
                        Expression: 3 (writing)
                        Intimidation: 0
                        Persuasion: 2
                        Socialize: 3
                        Streetwise: 0
                        Subterfuge: 3

Advantages
                        Health: 7
                        Willpower: 6
                        Defense: 5
                        Initiative: 6
                        Speed: 10
                        Size: 5

Gnosis: 3
                        Wisdom: 7
                        Max Mana/Per Turn: 13/3

Merits

+1 Gnosis 5
                        + 1 Gnosis 5
                        Mysterium 1
                        High Speech 1

Arcana:

Fate 3
                        Time 2
                        Space 1

Praxes:
                        Divination
                        Exceptional Luck
                        Postcognition

Rotes
                        Exceptional Luck
                        Fools Rush In
                        Choose the Thread

Dedicated Tool
                        Silver capped walking stick.

Nimbus
                        A somewhat Fae quality hits the air around him.

Long-term:
                        Strange Luck occurs such as someone rolling lucky seven seven times etc.

Immediate:
                        Time seems to run slower

Signature:
                        Peoples sense of time is off. One minute seems like an hour, etc

Tilt:
                        +1 composure, -1 Wits when around Doctor Luck's spellcasting

Aspirations
                        Scrutinize werewolves under magesight Short Term
                        Compare Fate Interconnections of werewolves vs Human beings. Short Term
                        Find out who is stalking him and what they want and deal with them Long Term

Obsession
                        Research paranormal activities and creatures such as werewolves, find out how they live day to day, what they eat, everythingabout them, and Write an Urban Fantasy Novel

research arcadia fate and time Look into spells to get to and survive in arcadia. He wants to explore arcadia. He wants to know about the Fae, changelings and the hedge. He will start by summoning fate and time creatures.

Equipment
                        Old car
                        android phone without sim card but with skype
                        Idea notebook

1. Character concept and pre-Awakening life: Who are you? What defines your personality? Who are the important people from your Sleeper life?

Michael Korn is a struggling author who has one book out. That book is a new york times bestseller. He spends most of his money learning new things to write about, so he is most often broke. He researches his books thoroughly. He became proficient at shooting firearms, swimming, rock climbing and more in order to write about the experience in detail. He is slowly building up an experience library of sorts that he can draw upon at need. He grew up on the streets so he can protect himself to a degree, but he is no bruce lee. His understanding of magic, on a deep and fundamental level was extraordinary. He could draw energy exceptionally well to the point where he could out do some disciples in power. Perhaps it was his unique creativity that forged a more pronounced link between him and Arcadia that allows him to draw more power, but whatever the reason, he is strong in the force.

He is a quiet introverted man who almost lives in his books. He tries to fight against his introversion by putting himself in situations that force him to be extroverted. He can hide his introversion well. The most important people in his life is his family. He has a younger sister and mother and father. Whenever he gets a little ahead financially, his little sister would show up and do him in. Emily Blake is his first reader. She reads his work and tells him if it put her to sleep, or kept her up all night. Those are the only things he wants from her. She helps him perfect his craft.

Michael is a world class athlete. He has learned so many new sports and such over the years, and excelled at them to write about them, he found himself one day swimming across currents that others would surf. He is almost an encyclopedia of occult knowledge. He has always been fascinated by the fae, fairies and elves. He was also fascinated by the world that they came from.

2. Awakening: Please indicate what Path you want to belong to, and then a brief narrative description of your Awakening experience.
                        I want to play an Acanthus mage.

Michael loves to write, but sometimes his muse is absent and he cannot think of anything to write, he gets writer's block. One such time caught Michael and he decided to take a break from writing for a while and went to a local bar. He drank light, a light beer, and he drank slowly. There was a girl at the bar staring at him. He noded to her and she came over asking if the seat next to him was taken. He motioned for her to take a seat. He talked to her and learned that she is from out of town, but close, about a five hour drive. The evening drew on and he continued to drink with the girl he had just met. She said she recognized him from the back of one of his books. She took him, intending to go to her house with him. They got into her car and drove for hours. Somewhere along the drive, he passed out.

He woke in a ditch, his clothes missing, and covered in dirt. A pile of dirt then splashed on his face and when he looked up he saw a man shoveling dirt on him. They were burying him alive. He didn't see the girl, the hole was at least ten feet deep and he was at the bottom. He stood up. He heard them say that he was awake and that was unfortunate. They shot him in the stomach.

He realized that he was about to die in an unmarked grave this very night. He fell back from the force of the bullet and a tear came down his cheek, he didn't notice he was crying. This was all so unreal. This was wrong. His next thought was that everything was wrong. A lie. He heard them say that was it, they had shot him so they didn't need to finish the grave, no one would find him here.

They left and the vines came. They did not grow as much as crawled down into the grave. Breathing heavy he hoisted himself up the vines and out of the ditch. Everywhere he looked there were thick clawing hedges that shred his clothes and his skin. The bullet hurt and the scratches from the hedges were getting deep. He was bleeding a lot. He felt a pull. He looked and saw in the distance, barely saw more like it, a tower. It was an Ivory Tower that called to him, that pulled him. He began to walk. There was a point where he could not go on and he fell into the razor sharp hedge cutting himself deep. That woke him and he stood up and walked.

He didn't know how long the walk took, but he made it to the tower. He walked inside. He looked around and found no door to enter the tower, only this open waiting room. The walls were covered in names. He couphed and blood came out. He closed his eyes and sat down. Here is where he would die. He wasn't dead yet. He saw a spot that was empty on the wall and for some odd reason decided to add his name to the names on the wall. When his name showed up, he was back in the ditch. He clawed his way up. He didn't know how long he was in the grave but he was weak.

He knew he needed to be found fast before he bled to death. He remembered shows where the cowboy was shot and he pressed against the wound to slow the bloodflow. He was bleeding from a bullet and gashes from the hedge. He needed help and immediate help. In his mind he focused on finding help, or help finding him. He formed a clear picture in his mind of him running into a hunter in these woods. It was a slim possibility that he focused on with all his might. And he walked, to try to get closer to the hunter. He didn't know how long he walked before he passed out.

He woke in a hospital. He remembered everything and wondered at how lucky he was to be alive. When he asked the doctors told him some hunters found him bleeding to death in the middle of the forest.

He spent a few weeks in the hospital before they released him. He went home and wrote furiously. As he wrote he found a change in himself. This world was a lie, and the truth could alter the lie. He formed a clear mental image of finding a lottery ticket on the ground. It was an odd experiment and he went out looking for a lottery ticket. He found nothing. He figured it was just his imagination, thinking he could do magic. Hours later, when he had forgotten about the experiment, he went to a convenience store for milk. Outside on the ground he found an unused lottery ticket. Was that his magic or just plain luck. He needed help to understand what was going on. He formed the mental image of a teacher and he meeting up. Where could he go.

He went to a map, got a pencil, closed his eyes and stabbed the map with the pencil. Just outside of Denver Colorado was where he was going. He packed up things for a stay of about a month, and went to an area just outside of Denver to find a mentor to teach him about this thing of his.

3. Preferred game/player style: What are you interested in accomplishing in this game, either for yourself or for your character? What would make this game the most fun for you?

As I said before I like creating things. I like also creating situations, thinking on my feet as it were. I like the idea of fortune and its control. I like freedom within a span of possibility. I like the awakening story I wrote so please tell me if it is OK.
                        Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Have you heard from Chaos and Tambov?

Comment

I'm currently trying to bring Phil to a proper format. Shadow Name - Simurgh.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Working on my character sheet now. This is the first time I've done this for mage, so do nudge me if I miss anything important.

Player: Retias
                              Chronicle: Mountains of Shadow
                              Shadow Name: Spider
                              Sympathetic Name: Sara

Stats

Path: Obrimos
                              Order: Free Council
                              Cabal:
                              Legacy:

Virtue: Dedicated
                              Vice: Competitive
                              Concept: Security Consultant

Attributes
                              Intelligence: 4
                              Wits: 2
                              Resolve: 3

Strength: 2
                              Dexterity: 2
                              Stamina: 2

Presence: 2
                              Manipulation: 3
                              Composure: 2

[5/3/4 distribution with extra dot put into Resolve]

Skills
                              Academics: 2
                              Computer: 3 (Programming) *
                              Crafts: 2 ^
                              Investigation: 2
                              Medicine: 0
                              Occult: 1
                              Politics: 0
                              Science: 2 * ^

Athletics: 1
                              Brawl: 0
                              Drive: 0
                              Firearms: 0
                              Larceny: 2 (B&E)
                              Stealth: 1
                              Survival: 0
                              Weaponry: 0

Animal Ken: 0
                              Empathy: 1
                              Expression: 2
                              Intimidation: 0
                              Persuasion: 2 ^
                              Socialize: 0
                              Streetwise: 0
                              Subterfuge: 2 (Misdirection)

* 9 again asset skills
                              ^ Order rote skills

Advantages
                              Health: 7
                              Willpower: 5
                              Defense: 3
                              Initiative: 4
                              Speed: 9
                              Size: 5

Gnosis: 1
                              Wisdom: 7
                              Max Mana/Per Turn: 10/1

Merits

Resources 2
                              Familiar 4 (Computer spirit)
                              Professional Training (Hacker) 2

*Contacts (Academics, hackers)
                              Occultation 2
                              High Speech 1
                              Status (Free Council) 1

*Gained from Professional Training

Arcana:

Forces: 3
                              Prime: 2
                              Mind: 1

Praxes:

Dispel Magic

Attainments

Precise Force
                              Universal Counterspell
                              Forces armour
                              Prime armour
                              Targeted Summoning

Rotes

Turn Momentum (Science) (3)
                              Mental Scan (Investigation) (1)
                              Control Weather (Science) 2

Dedicated Tool

Steel earpiece.

Nimbus

Long-term: Static flickers on screens and seems to form pictures that are almost, but not quite, recognizable.

Immediate: Lines of code weave around her, moving as if her actions are being dictated by them like a puppet with strings.

Signature: Weirdly elegant code that can be seen.

Tilt: -1 to wits

Aspirations

Short term: Have a conversation with a werewolf about the Machine.
                              Short term: Find a client.
                              Long term: Progress on her artificial intelligence work.

Obsession

Prove programming code can have ties to the Supernal by using it to help form a new spell.

Equipment
                              Laptop

The Machine

Rank 2

Power: 3
                              Finesse: 5
                              Resistance: 3

Essence 15

Numina

Left handed spanner
                              Pathfinder
                              Sign

Blast

Ban: The machine spirit must corrupt a computer at least once per month, or lose all Willpower.
                              Bane: Rainwater collected during a thunderstorm.

Influences

Technology 2

Manifestations:

Twilight Form
                              Familar
                              Fetter
                              Unfetter

Corpus: 8
                              Willpower: 8
                              Initiative: 8
                              Defence: 3
                              Speed:13

History

Background

Sara is something of a scandal in her home town. That might have something to do with the fact that she managed to plunge half the county into darkness when she was twelve and hacked into the electrical grid, marrying technical know how with being too young to really grasp the consequences of her actions. The FBI and NSA both took a certain interest at that point and she went through a lot of questioning to ensure she didn't have ties to untrustworthy elements.

She also got a lot of warnings and restrictions, but at the same time, her skills received more positive attention and her education was watched and shaped by those who had found her and wanted to ensure she was kept under control and motivated to use them in more desired ways. Her childhood and youth was therefore an awkward time, people both angry at her, and envious at what she could do, and the tale of the 'Blackout' circulated for a number of years.

Awakening

Her Awakening came about after several weeks of toying with code and the most complex program she'd ever worked on, one that kept filing on her for reasons she couldn't grasp. It was designed to write it own code, to solve simple problems she put to it and to be adapt to find correct solutions. She lost herself in the shining, ever more complex code as it grew tangled and ensnared her like a web, systems flickering to life and dying around her as she felt more and more, like she was in a living creature.

When she realized that everything she felt and sensed around her in the web as the living energy of both the physical and the digital world, her eyes finally opened.

Personality

Daily Life

Condition

Health: OOOOOOO
                              Willpower: 5/5
                              Mana: 10/10
                              Beats and Experiences

Beats: 0/5
                              Experiences (Unspent/Total): 0/0
                              Arcane Beats: 0/5
                              Experiences (Unspent/Total): 0/0
                              Last edited by Retias; 08-02-2016, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X