No announcement yet.

[OOC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] Mountains of Shadow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the Colt 45 isn't overboard. I didn’t have the points to make the companion artifact "The Badge of Authority" but he wants to find it.

Comment

• I think the Fast Spells Yantra bonus is not really supported by the rules, but I personally like it. Makes sense for the Artifacts own effects at least. Otherwise it's not very overwhelming in its effects to be honest. Your character is predisposed towards time anyway, making the acceleration effect redundant in the future. And the hex will have issues with withstand on many people. That said I'm just jaded by now, I think it's at least thematically nicely built, though I question why touching the handle makes you faster. Weird effect for a gun.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by wtaylorjr2001 View Post
        Is it possible that Dr Luck can get back into this?
        Sorry, we are full now. Recruitment was open here on the boards for a while and I gave spots to the first few to express interest.

My Games
        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
        Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

Comment

• A question : Are we going to start as a previously established cabal?

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post
            A question : Are we going to start as a previously established cabal?
            That was my plan, yeah.

I am torn on what Order I want my guy to be in. I feel like an Army Veteran might feel naturally drawn to the Arrow, but I also find it interesting to contemplate a Vet who pushes away a military-like organization to pursue membership in a different kind of group, like finding the Mysterium to be a breath of fresh air or something.

My Games
            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
            Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

Comment

• Currently I'm playing with the idea of a Clavicularius mage from the ladder (or maaaaybe Mysterium), possibly a lictor.

But I guess a question we should ask ourselves : What is the goal of our cabal? What's holding us together?

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
                That was my plan, yeah.

I am torn on what Order I want my guy to be in. I feel like an Army Veteran might feel naturally drawn to the Arrow, but I also find it interesting to contemplate a Vet who pushes away a military-like organization to pursue membership in a different kind of group, like finding the Mysterium to be a breath of fresh air or something.

That would all depend on his experience with the Army, did he enjoy it or was he out of sorts with it, Why is he out of the service now. I know alot of people that go into the military only to find that they are not aligned with the structure that the military forces upon its members.

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                Currently I'm playing with the idea of a Clavicularius mage from the ladder (or maaaaybe Mysterium), possibly a lictor.

But I guess a question we should ask ourselves : What is the goal of our cabal? What's holding us together?
                I was under the impression that the Cabal would be centered around keeping peace between the werewolves and the mages. My character will be investigating supernatural crimes and mysteries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post
                  I think the Fast Spells Yantra bonus is not really supported by the rules, but I personally like it. Makes sense for the Artifacts own effects at least. Otherwise it's not very overwhelming in its effects to be honest. Your character is predisposed towards time anyway, making the acceleration effect redundant in the future. And the hex will have issues with withstand on many people. That said I'm just jaded by now, I think it's at least thematically nicely built, though I question why touching the handle makes you faster. Weird effect for a gun.

Gun safety states that when you are moving with a loaded weapon that you hold in in such a way that it is safe for the innocent bystanders. You should never point a gun in a threatening manner while running or moving fast, That is why you need to hold it like that before casting the Accelerate. As for why the Acceleration it symbolizes that the gun is giving you the quickness of a bullet, speeding you up to match its own deadly pace.
                  Last edited by Hardwire99; 08-04-2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post

I was under the impression that the Cabal would be centered around keeping peace between the werewolves and the mages. My character will be investigating supernatural crimes and mysteries.
                    Could certainly work for a lictor I suppose.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Not sure what equipment we are allowed to start with so here is what I have let me know if I need to remove something.

EQUIPMENT:
                      Colt 45:
                      Holstered on right hip, covered by duster.
                      Wakizashi: Sheathed on his left hip, covered by duster.
                      Petrified Wood Police Baton: On belt behind the Wakizashi.​
                      Duster: Full length Leather Duster.
                      Tools: These Items are carried in various internal pockets in the Duster. Path (1871, 20 Dollar Gold Coin, Steel Whisky Flask, Polished Perfected Silver (Cell Phone sized)), Order (Ski Mask, Jewelers Loop, Mirrored Rose-tinted Sunglasses, Crystal Prism).
                      Smartphone: Older Model (Samsung Note 4) T-Mobile service, acts as a Hot Spot. (Die Bonus +1, Durability 2, Size 1, Structure 1, Availability ••)
                      Laptop: HP ProBook 675 (Base Model) w/built-in badge reader, and fingerprint scanner. (Die Bonus +1 , Durability 2, Size 3, Structure 2, Availability ••)
                      Lockpicking Kit: Pocket size kit (Die Bonus +1, Durability 1, Size 1, Availability •) Always requires a Dexterity + Larceny roll to use.
                      Flashlight: Small but Bright penlight/laser pointer (Die Bonus +1, Durability 1, Size 0, Structure 0, Availability •)
                      Car: 2008 Hyundai Sonada
                      Last edited by Hardwire99; 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Added this to the History section.

Concept: He is an Ex-Police Undercover Detective turned Private Detective after he was accused of murder. His detective agency is in its infancy and not profitable yet. To make ends meet he is a registered Uber driver and will take Body Guard assignments. He is licensed to carry concealed.

EDIT: I have finished with his History and everything else. I am done and ready for a review. If there is anything else that you need from me just let me know.
                        Last edited by Hardwire99; 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Marduk: Mastigos, Key-Bearer and Lictor of the Silver Ladder
                          Mage Sight: Peripheral | Conditions: none | Spells: none
                          Health: OOOOOOOO | Willpower: 7/7 | Mana: 11/11

Shadow Name: Marduk
                          Sympathetic Name: Stephen Jones
                          Order: Silver Ladder
                          Path: Mastigos
                          Legacy: Clavicularius
                          Virtue: Just
                          Vice: Addictive

ATTRIBUTES:
                          • Mental:
                            • Intelligence: 2
                            • Wits: 2
                            • Resolve: 4 (Free Dot)
                          • Physical:
                            • Strength: 1
                            • Dexterity: 2
                            • Stamina: 3
                          • Social:
                            • Presence: 2
                            • Manipulation: 3
                            • Composure: 3
                          SKILLS:
                          * indicates Rote Skills
                          • Mental: -3 Untrained
                            • Academics: 4 (Asset Skill) Specialty (Lex Magica)
                            • Computer: 0
                            • Crafts: 1
                            • Investigation: 1 (Asset Skill)
                            • Medicine:
                            • Occult: 1 (One Free)
                            • Politics: 1
                            • Science: 0
                          • Physical: -1 Untrained
                            • Athletics: 1
                            • Brawl: 0
                            • Drive: 0
                            • Firearms: 0
                            • Larceny: 1
                            • *Stealth: 1
                            • Survival: 1
                            • Weaponry: 0
                          • Social: -1 Untrained
                            • Animal Ken: 0
                            • Empathy: 1
                            • *Expression: 1
                            • Intimidation: 1
                            • *Persuasion: 3 Specialty (Negotiations)
                            • Socialize: 1
                            • Streetwise: 1
                            • *Subterfuge: 3 Specialty (Unreadable)
                          ARCANA:
                          • Mind: 3 (Ruling)
                          • Space: 1 (Ruling)
                          • Spirit: 3 (Ruling)
                          GNOSIS: 2
                          • Highest Arcanum: 3
                          • Other Arcanum: 3
                          • Combined Spells: 1
                          • Obsessions: 1
                          • Mana/Turn: 11/2
                          • Yantras: 2
                          • Paradox: 1
                          • Ritual Interval: 3 hour
                          PRAXES:
                          • Mental Scan
                          • Know Spirit
                          ROTES:
                          • Psychic Domination (Subterfuge)
                          • Enhance Skill (Academics)
                          • Clear Thoughts (Persuasion)
                          MERITS:
                          • Merit: Status (Silver Ladder) 3 (1 Free)
                            • Marduk holds the office of Lictor and profits from the good standing of his former mentors. As such he enjoys the respect of other members of his order.
                          • Merit: High Speech 1 (1 Free)
                            • The ability to read and speak High Speech.
                          • Merit: Professional Training (Lictor) 2
                            • Two Asset Skills: Academics and Investigation.
                            • Networking: Gain two contacts within the field of Investigator (Hunter, Nemesis)
                            • Continuing Education: 9-again on Asset Skills.
                          • Merit: Contacts 2 (gained via Professional Training)
                            • Dirty Secret: Spirit of transgression. Filthy little thing that revels in everything that bucks the social norm. Knowledge about anything that fits that description and willing to trade that information for a bit of Essence.
                            • Hunter: Thyrsus and former Lictor. Knowledgable about the Shadow and all beings that interact with the spirit world. Due to his long work as a lictor has contacts and friends among thearchs all over north america.
                          • Merit: Mentor 3
                            • Nemesis: Mastigos thearch from Chicago. Knowledgable in Silver Ladder politics and the summoning, binding and fight against demons wether they be internal, external or supernal. Antimonist, generally hard to get along with but suprisingly dependable and loyal.
                          • Merit: Lex Magica 2
                            • When acting in official titled capacity (e.g. as a Lictor) Silver Ladder status is added to his doors to influence his behaviour. Characters cannot spend willpower to enhance dicpools of social or magical actions that are supposed to influence his behaviour. Silver Ladder Status can be used as a Yantra on spells that directly enforce the Lex Magica, the Yantra bonus is half the Status (rounded up)
                          ADVANTAGES:
                          • Size: 5
                          • Speed: 8
                          • Health: 8
                          • Willpower: 7
                          • Wisdom: 7
                          • Initiative: 5
                          • Defense: 3
                          YANTRAS:
                          Dedicated Tool: stylized key forged from Kassiterum. Usually worn on chain under his shirt, touching his skin.

Path Tools: Iron, brass, leather, worked materials, Curved sword, whip, cruel weapons
                          • Coins: custom minted iron coin with imprinted Salomonic seals
                          • Cups: leather wineskin
                          • Mirrors: polished plate of brass
                          • Rods: iron Scepter
                          • Weapons: pocket knife with blade of iron, leather whip
                          Order Tools: Symbols of Authority: suits, wrought iron crown
                          Legacy Tools: Spell is thematically related to a Goetic demon the mage subjugated within the last month (+1), resisting a vice (+2), using the keys of Solomon (+1), utilizin the subjects Virtue or Vice (+2)
                          NIMBUS:
                          Long Term Nimbus: 'Tempter'- Marduks long term Nimbus forces people to confront those things that they desire, but that would damage their life. The husband in the midst of his midlife crisis finds himself hit upon by younger gorgeous coworker, the reformed addict can't stop thinking about getting another hit, just this once.

Immediate Nimbus: ‘Binding Pattern’ - And intricate binding pattern of solomonic keys, runes and symbols appears on Marduks skin. To observant onlookers these bindings seem less like ink tatoos and more like slightly bleeding fine cuts in his skin.

Signature Nimbus: 'Struggle’ - His signature nimbus is the feeling of fighting with ones own darker impulses.

Nimbus Tilt: ‘Gauntlet’ - Those that witness his Nimbus feel assaulted in their self-control. While this feeling is rather uncomfortable, the subject emerges stronger for the trial it just endured, adding one to its Resolve. Effect: +1 Resolve

ASPIRATIONS:
                          • Short Term: Catch up with my sister
                          • Short Term: Summon and subjugate a wraith
                          • Long Term: Give others a chance to overcome their flaws as I've been given one
                          OBSESSIONS:
                          • Long Term: Conquer my own demons completly
                          CONDITIONS:
                          • No Persistent Conditions yet.
                          ATTAINMENTS:
                          Mind: Counterspell, Mind's Eye, Mage Armor (Mind), Targeted Summoning
                          Space: Counterspell
                          Spirit: Counterspell, Spirit Eyes, Mage Armor (Spirit), Targeted Summoning

LEGACY:
                          Clavicularius
                          Attainments:
                          • First Attainment: Goetic Awareness
                          • Second Attainment: Goetic Bulwark

Age/Birthday: 31/May 3, 1986
                          Height: 6' 1"
                          Weight: 180 lbs
                          Build: lithe
                          Occupation: Consulting Lawyer, Hobby Psychologist and Lictor
                          Ethnicity: Caucasian
                          Nationality: American
                          Hair Color: Dark Blonde
                          Eye Color: green-grey
                          Sexuality: Heterosexual

Concept: Lawyer who rebuilt his life from the ground up after hitting rock bottom. Tests the limits of his own will and that of others. Came to the Denver area relativly recently and is still getting his bearings.

Shadow Name: Marduk
                          A god king who subjugated the Annunaki to gain his rightful station. Stephen chose this shadow name as it to him resonated with the Clavicularian legend of King Solomon, the Annunaki being the demons both within and without the Mageking has to conquer to rise to his rightful station.

History: Born as the single child of a happy and nice middle class family living in the chicago suburbs, Stephen was brought up in a sheltered environment. When he hit puberty his life went from nice to boring and lame. Stephen lived it up with alcohol, parties and the occassional joint. By the time he went to UC to study law he had graduated to harsher drugs. For a few years he walked the edge between coke addiction and a somewhat functional life, but eventually he slipped. Half a year later he lay spasming in a ditch, his body succumbing to an overdose. In his last moments, as his consciouness slipped his many demons came alive, tormenting him with his failures. Harrassed by addictions tearing at his flesh, with the laughter of false friends roaring in his ears and the void of never found love devouring his heart Stephen cried out in pain – and defiance. Confronted with all his failures he saw the potential for what could have been and decided to fight for a second chance. With a strength beyond the physical, with strength borne of will he fought off his demons and carved into their flesh his will to live and to rise beyond his own pettyness. After the last demon retreated, defeated but not conquered, a surge of supernal energy coursed through his body and he awoke leaning against a dumpster
                          Over the next few days he allmost went insane as Pandemonium bombarded him with his own failings and those of others. He may have turned bitter and went down a left handed path, hadn't a warlock and thearch by the name of Nemesis found him. Nemesis helped Stephen stabilize and cement the discipline he had fought so hard to attain. While Stephen doubled down and finished his degree (to show himself he could), she taught him in the ways of the wise and helped him reforge himself into Marduk. She showed him how to use his gifts to help others earn their own second chances, as he had and initiated him into the ranks of the Silver Ladder. When he showed and interest in Goetia and continued to test his self-discipline Nemesis smiled and unveiled the mysteries of the Clavicularii to him.
                          Shortly after his initiation into the legacy a scandal rocked the Chicago consilium, as evidence of a Scelestus hiding among the mages of the pentacle surfaced. A Lictor by the name of Hunter was called in to sort out the mess and by the end of the whole ordeal Marduk had impressed Hunter with his methodical analysis of the evidence and social networks within the consilium. As he intended to retire, Hunter offered to train Marduk as a Lictor himself. Uninterested in politicing for a position of power within Ladder and consilum at the time, Marduk gladly accepted. Hunter, a Thyrsus, taught him many ways to approach his new duties that a Mastigos would never have considered and after castigating his own pride, Marduk gladly absorbed every bit of wisdom he could. He had a feeling he might need it. His education complete he has been assigned to the Denver area as the local Deacon wanted a Lictor who would both be wise in the ways of the Shadow and awakened politics for the job. Marduk is afraid he may not be up to the task. Of course such fear is but another battle for enlightenment for a Key-Bearer.

Important NPC:
                          Nemesis: His original mentor, a respected thearch from Chicago. She helped him bring his life back in order and initiated him into the Arts, Order and her Legacy. To him, she's practically family, perhaps more so than his actual family. During their time together they felt a mutual attraction towards one another, but neither of them choose to act on it. One of the reasons Marduk decided to leave Chicago behind was to prove to himself that he could be self sufficient without his mentor shadow looming over him. Nemesis' personal demons mostly center around feelings of inadequacy, envy and strong desire for vengeance.
                          Hunter: A former veteran lictor who tired of his duties and trained Marduk as his apprentice. The two of them had their differences, especially when it came to their approach of the job, Hunter preferring direct actions, while Marduk advocates careful observation and deduction. In time they both developed a bond of mutual respect coupled with friendly rivalry. Not wanting to settle down quite yet, Hunter is for now travelling all over the US, visiting friends in various Consilii.
                          Dirty Secret: A spirit of transgression, allways taking a form that violates societal norms in some fashion.In front of Marduk usually takes the form of a short time college girlfriend that ended up overdosing. It delights in learning the uncomfortable secrets of others and is willing to trade what it knows in exchange. As it only really cares for secrets people are actually ashamed off, it knows suprisingly little about things like organized crime, hufman trafficing or the like, but instead has been known to haunt the halls of politics, the bedrooms of celebrities and the sancti of mages. It has a talent for getting out of sticky situations and is a master in the art of blackmail, often using it's numina to take human form and leverage sleepers into committing more shameful acts, digging themselves deeper and deeper into a deplorable swamp of dirty secrets.
                          Marshal and Laura Jones: His parents. Boringly average and steadfastly asleep. At first Stephen tried to reconnect with them after his Awakening, but Marduk quickyl saw through the wiles of the demon of family affection steering his mind and castigated those irrational feelings from his mind. The sad truth is that they have nothing to offer to him and he merely keeps up appearances for conviniences sake. Or perhaps because he hasn't fully subjugated his love for his family yet, he himself is not sure and that insecurity is perhaps the only thing that makes Marduk think about them at all.
                          April Jones: His younger sister recently started college. In an ironic twist of fate she choose to move to Denver to do so rather than staying in Chicago. Her presence makes Marduk a little insecure, as he is suspicious about whether it truly was coincidence (does such a thing even exist? Coincidences are for Sleepers...) that she moved here of all places, before he himself arrived. However he also allways liked her. She is a free spirit, fighteningly unorganized but refreshing. She is now working on an Art degree and Marduk currently considers if and how best to approach her.

EXPERIENCE:
                          Start: 5 Any
                          Regular Experience: 0, Regular Beats: 0/5
                          Arcane Experience: 0, Arcane Beats: 0/5

Experience Expenditure:
                          Starting: 1 Legacy (Clavicularius), 4 Arcana (Spirit 3)

Beats Record
                          (A/M) – Date; Reason

Clavicularius

I didn't want to copy too much out of Legacies the Sublime... thus the empty spaces

Origins

Parentage: Mastigos, Silver Ladder
                          Nickname: Solomonists or Key-Bearers
                          Background:
                          Appearances:

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Mind 2, Willpower 5, two dots in one of the following Skills; Academics, Occult, Empathy, Expression or Persuasion
                          Initiation:
                          Organization:
                          Theory:

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Spirit
                          Yantras: Spell is thematically related to a Goetic demon the mage subjugated within the past month (+1), resisting a vice (+2), using the keys of Solomon (+1), utilizing the subjects Virtue or Vice (+2).
                          Oblations: The Rite of Castigation. Meditation on past moments of weakness. Engaging in psychological therapy (either as the therapist or as a patient). Scribing the Keys of Solomon in a durable medium (such as stone, metal or enamel).

Attainments

First: Goetic Awareness
                          Prerequisites:
                          Initiation
                          To master demons of any kind, one needs to be aware of their presence first. Through this attainment the Key-Bearer becomes aware of Spirits in his vicinity. This Attainment emulates "Exorcist's Eyes" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration. If the Solomonists possesses Mind 1, the effects of this Attainment also extend to Goetia.
                          Optional: Mind 1
                          Solomonists know their demons and those of others. Whenever someone they perceive fulfills his Virtue or Vice the mage can feel the powerful demons of the person stir. This Attainment emulates "Witness" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration.

Second: Goetic Bulwark
                          Prerequisites: Spirit 2,Willpower 6
                          The Clavicularii know that to defeat an overwhelming foe you first have to take away the source of their strength. Thus they learn to ward those things in the phenomenal world that give demons strength by inscribing marking them with the Solomonic seals. This Attainment replicates "Cap the Well" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration.
                          Optional: Mind 2
                          Solomonists learn to discipline their own minds and tame their own demons. When tempted by his Vice a Key-Bearer may choose to wrestle the Goetic demon of his Vice for control. The player rolls Resolve + Composure and compares the result to the mages Mind dots. If he scored more successes he is overwhelmed by his Goetic demon and thus has to indulge in his vice. Doing so does not replenish a willpower point. If the mages Mind dots equal or exceed the successes of the roll the mage forces his own demon into submission. He does not indulge in the Vice but still regains a willpower point as if he had fulfilled his Vice.

Third: Goetic Shield
                          Prerequisites: Spirit 3, the Key-Bearer must increase the other Skill she used to meet the requirements of the Legacy to 3, or must attain two dots in a second skill from the list of possible requirements.
                          The Solomonist rises above and beyond the influence of demons. The powers of spiritual entities fail when faced with the Key-Bearers determination and enlightened soul. This Attainment emulates "Ephemeral Shield" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and to include the physical attacks of Spirits.
                          Optional: Mind 3

The benefits of this Attainment extend to Goetia and any affects that target the Solomonists mind, emulating "Mental Shield" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and to include the physical attacks of Goetia.

Fourth: Goetic Subjugation
                          Prerequisites: Spirit 4,Willpower 7
                          The Clavicularius binds demons to his will. By inscribing the Solomonic seals onto an object and then ritually forcing a vanquished spirit into the item he creates a Fetish. This Attainment emulates "Craft Fetish" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration. If the Solomonists has Mind 4, this Attainment may be used on Goetia aswell as on Spirits.
                          Optional: Mind 4
                          The Key-Bearer learns to call forth his inner demons by the force of his will, forcing them to attend the Solomonists call and take on physical form. This emulates "Goetic Summons" with Reach assigned to Advanced Duration and to Summoning a Goetia from the mages own Oneiros. By adding in Spirit 2, the Spirit gains the Materialized Condition for the duration of the summons. Subjugating the Goetic demon to the mages will is another matter...

Fifth: Goetic Banishment
                          Prerequisites: Spirit 5,the Key-Bearer must increase the other Skill she used to meet the requirements of the Legacy to 4, or must attain three dots in a second skill from the list of possible requirements, or two dots in a third Skill from the list.
                          The Clavicularius can ban demons from his presence. With but a gesture invoking one of the Solomonic Keys he can banish the demon from the material plane. This Attainment emulates "Banishment" with Reach assigned to Instand Casting and Sensory Range. If the mage also has Mind 4 this Attainment may be used on Goetia aswell as on Spirits.
                          Optional: Mind 5
                          As he can banish spirits without himself, the mage can vanquish his own demons for a short time. Though many Solomonists don't like to admit it, this Attainment can be used to purge the Key-Bearer of Virtue, just as it can battle Vice. This Attainment emulates "Amorality" with Reach assigned to Instant Casting.

New Spell:

Witness (Mind )
                          Practice: Unveiling
                          Primary Factor: Duration
                          Suggested Rote Skills: Empathy, Science, Subterfuge
                          To the subject people wear their hearts on their sleeves. Whenever someone he perceives acts on his Virtue or Vice the subject becomes aware of this fact.

Last edited by Flinty; 08-19-2017, 01:09 AM.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• I took the liberty of copying your formatting Hardwire, I hope you do not mind.

Still need to add more NPCs (have one idea but need to write it up still), Aspirations and Obsessions (have ideas on both but aren't sure which would work the best with the cabal so far), add in tools and write up a 2e conversion for the Clavicularius.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Nope I do not mind at all.

Comment

• Added in a conversion for the Clavicularii. Feedback is very welcome.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

Working...
                                X