Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RAGNAR
    Active Spells: None (Serendipity)
    Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast, Poor Lighting (-2 to all vision-based Perception rolls)
    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5


    Ragnar tilts his head at the information. "Huh. There's no danger here whatsoever. We'll meet the mage when we leave. Speaking of which..."

    Ragnar reaches out for magic once more, this time for the threads of Fate. What is the quickest route to a portal out of this place? One that isn't under a few feet of water, preferably."

    Ragnar casts Serendipity (Fate 1) as an improvised spell. He uses one Reach to change the Primary Factor to Duration, and then spends the second free Reach to bump the Duration to Advanced (one hour/scene) so that he can follow the route of the spell to the nearest portal.

    Gnosis 1 + Fate 2 + Path Tool 1 + Concentration 2 = 6 dice -> 4 successes, and the first time I've ever seen a 10 re-roll as a 10!
    Last edited by Haberdasher; 08-17-2016, 10:25 PM.


    Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

    Comment


    • BINDER
      Willpower: 0/7 Mana: 0/10 Health: X///OOO
      Mage Sight: Mind, Space

      "Urk-"

      Binder attempts to stand in the sunlight as best he can, and slashes his knife at the thing again.

      Casting Psychic Assault (Mind 3)
      Reach: 1 Free; Spending for instant speed and sensory range
      Paradox (containing): 1 + 3 (prior risk) - 2 (tool) vs Wisdom 7 = 2 vs 7 -> 0 vs 1 success.

      Yantras: Knife (reflexive, dedicated)
      Factors: Potency 3
      Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 = 4 -> 2 successes.

      Comment


      • Ragnar
        As you finish your casting, you feel a slight change in the air pressure. A breeze forms from nowhere, ripples around the cavern where your group stands, and blows away from you down the hallway.


        Binder
        The orb recoils violently again. Black ooze spills from it as it bumps against the wall. As you watch with your Sight, however, you see a halo of dark energy surround the orb. The orb pulses outward, slowly pulling itself back together. The entity lashes out again, this time with two tentacles, trying to wrap up each of your arms.

        Power (2) + Finesse (2) + WP (3) - Defense (3) = 4 dice: 2 successes. You take 2 more bashing damage, unless you reflexively Dodge.
        Last edited by rwknoll; 08-16-2016, 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot that you had Active Sight


        My Games
        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

        Comment


        • Moonstone
          Active Sight: Mind/Space. Active Spells: Outward Inward Eye [see in all directions, scene duration, potency 1: advanced]
          Conditions: Divergent [active], Abyssal Imago
          Health: XOOOOO | Willpower: 0/8 | Mana: 2/10

          "Some kind of magical recording...let me knock on wood a bit."

          Moonstone works his favored spell again, flexing his gloved fingers and counting possibilities as he gazes into his cracked mirror.

          Let's move this along. Casting my Praxis, Time 1 Divination.

          2 free Reach. 1 for instant casting, 1 for more detailed questions. +1 Reach for going past my spell control. 1 paradox die, +2 because this is my third paradox roll this scene. 3 paradox dice, gonna contain it: 2 successes

          Oh yeah and +1 Reach for sensory range means 1 more paradox die: no successes

          Wisdom contain roll: 1 success, oh for god's sake. I take 1 resistant bashing and another Paradox Condition. I'm just gonna start releasing my Paradoxes at this point, I'm tired of facing personal consequences for my indiscriminate use of magic!!!

          Anyway here's the spellcasting roll. Gnosis 1, Time 2, +1 for magical tool. 4 dice: 1 success


          Two questions for the echo: What is the most beneficial thing that this entity can do for Phoenix and I? And, What will I personally do in the immediate future that leads to that outcome?


          2E Legacy Updates
          Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
          Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
          Storm Keepers

          Comment


          • BINDER
            Willpower: 0/7 Mana: 0/10 Health: X/////O (-2)
            Mage Sight: Mind, Space

            "Nope, not feeling good about this any more. Ow."

            Binder will cautiously retreat back into the sun-lit street. He'll attempt to keep an eye on the orb, but will prioritize his safety.

            Man, spending willpower. That would be nice.

            Comment


            • Moonstone
              Tempted by curiosity and a thirst to know more, you gaze into your mirror and cast your spell. You pierce the fog of Time with your will and glimpse the future. But as you do, even in this realm unlike the world you know, the universe pushes back against you hard. It catches your breath as you try to contain it, but the strain cracks your resistance.

              You glimpse...something move swiftly across the mirror's surface, and hear that deep throaty laugh again. You suddenly have the feeling of being watched.

              You gain the Abyssal Backlash condition. The next spell you cast that risks Paradox will add 2 dice to the Paradox roll.


              Even as you form the first question in your mind, the formless figure you can see through your Sight emits a terrible shriek. You see it dash away, further along the hallway and up the slight incline in the direction you haven't gone yet. In the mirror, you see bursts of movement and light that reveal you running down the hallway. Along with them, you perceive the voiceless sense of Time speak to you. She can show you a glimpse of Truth, a warning to be heeded. And after a single heartbeat: Follow.


              Binder
              You back up, reeling in pain. Your head is a bit hazy, and you know that if you take much more of a beating, you could risk falling unconscious.

              But thankfully, your instinct was right, and the black orb does not follow. You can't see it from around the corner. You can, however, see the teenage girls next to you. The girl who was attacked is sitting on the ground, assumedly numb with shock. Her friends are trying to comfort her and get her to walk, but she's just sitting there shivering with fear.


              My Games
              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

              Comment


              • Phoenix
                Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): None
                Health: BOOOOOO | WP: 0/5 | Mana: 4/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None

                Not a recording, an afterimage from a magical disaster. I guess these guys wanted to climb this ladder to the heavens and becomes gods, or something like that, and it backfired big time. The classic story of a rise and fall. One thing bugs me, though: what did she mean by reality is fragmented? Did they break the world in some way? I want to learn more, have to in fact, but I'm too tired to keep the Aether from slipping away.

                "Some kind of magical recording...let me knock on wood a bit." Moonstone replies. Don't like the sound of that, considering who it's coming from.

                This guy is practically leaking with the Abyss! I would've put him up against the wall for some words, were it not for the afterimage shrieking and retreating down the hallway, judging from the sound. Understandable, considering the Abyss is anathema to magic. The words'll have to wait, right now I need see where this thing's headed. I give chase, following the shriek.

                Comment


                • DR ASPHODEL
                  Conditions: Poor Lighting

                  As Ragnar works his magic, she looks around in the gloom. Especially now that she's aware of it, she can feel the Death in this place. She wonders just what sort of person this 'elder mage' is going to be when they find him.

                  Comment


                  • RAGNAR
                    Active Spells: Serendipity
                    Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast, Poor Lighting (-2 to all vision-based Perception rolls)
                    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
                    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5

                    Ragnar briefly tenses from the breeze, but then realizes that is was caused by his spell, and smiles slightly as he relaxes. "I just worked some magic to find the quickest way out of here. Follow me." With that, he continues down the tunnel, following the direction of the air. This should last long enough for us to reach a portal out of here.


                    Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                    Comment


                    • Phoenix (and Moonstone, if he follows)
                      You chase after the woman, bolting along the hallway as quickly as you can manage. The hallway continues to slope upwards for several more yards, then leads to the base of a short staircase. Racing up the stairs brings you to a large set of double doors, seemingly made out of polished onyx. The doors are cracked just slightly, and you hear a faint cry from the "woman" beyond the doors.

                      When you push the doors open, you see a long corridor made from the same material as the door. Upon closer inspection, the material seems unlike any stone or building material you have ever seen. On your Periphery, you feel a faint, ubiquitous sense of energy pulsing in this room.

                      As you take your first step through the door, the walls begin to glow with millions of pinpricks of light, arranged in dazzling displays that you recognize as galaxies and constellations of stars. The view is breathtaking.

                      The woman's voice echoes quietly through the room. WE THOUGHT TO RULE THE HEAVENS, she repeats. Her voice sounds forlorn.

                      You may each roll Wits + Composure.


                      Ragnar, Lynx, and Dr. Asphodel
                      I'm going to assume for now that all three of you continue along this path. If anyone would do otherwise or wants to take actions along the way, feel free to do so.

                      You follow the draft forward, passing underneath the unnatural archway and stepping onto the smoothly polished stone-like material that fits no description of any building material you have ever seen before. Where your feet touch the stone, you feel a faint pulsing of energy, and the floors emit a pale, swirling green light that softly illuminates the area. Each step also creates a quiet bell tone, like wind chimes moving from a soft breeze.

                      After a few moments, you feel another draft moving forward. The light from the floors reveals an opening in the cave wall ahead of you, leading to another hallway. The corridor slopes down, gently at first but at an increasingly steep incline, and you have to move slowly to avoid slipping in the dark on the moss underneath your feet. You lose your sense of direction as the corridor drifts right, curves around, then left, but always descending.

                      Suddenly, the corridor levels out and turns into a flat surface again. More green light appears beneath your feet as you find yourself yet again on that strange polished stone surface. After walking for several minutes, the corridor suddenly opens up into a large cavern with a smooth dome ceiling. The walls in here are again made of natural, rough stone, but the floors have that same polished look and create light as you walk. All around the large room, perhaps 200 feet across in each direction, you can faintly make out other openings leading to other hallways.

                      Each opening to this cavern, including the one you walk through, have a path leading forward to a raised dais in the center of the room. A small candle flickers on the table besides what appears to be a large stone bowl and several other small objects that you can't make out at this distance.

                      You may each roll Wits + Composure, at no penalty.


                      My Games
                      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                      Comment


                      • RAGNAR
                        Active Spells: Serendipity
                        Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast (resolved at end of turn), Poor Lighting (-2 to all vision-based Perception rolls)
                        Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
                        Beats: 0(+1)/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
                        Ragnar allows the wind current to guide him through the cavern. The sound of bells with their footsteps and the swirling light fills him with a sense of awe, and he can't help but let out a small, "Whoa..."

                        Upon reaching the domed cavern, he frowns slightly at the sight of the table, which stands out like a sore thumb. "Unless this is the dimension of specifically placed furniture, I think somebody's been here before."

                        If I'm reading the rules properly, I can resolve my Steadfast Condition for a regular beat, despite the fact that I resolved Inspired earlier for an arcane beat. So I'm going to go ahead and do that now, for an exceptional success on three successes instead of five.

                        Wits 2 + Composure 2 = 4 dice -> 2 successes. Close, but no cigar.
                        Last edited by Haberdasher; 08-18-2016, 12:22 PM.


                        Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                        Comment


                        • Ragnar
                          Through the faint chimes and the sound of your group's footsteps, you think you hear a distant rumbling. The sound feels out of place from everything else you've heard since swimming out of the pool. It's a very faint sound, so quiet that you aren't even sure if you're hearing it correctly. As you strain your ears, though, it does seem to be getting slightly louder. You're not sure what to make of it.

                          Yep, gain a Beat! You can gain 1 Arcane Beat and 1 regular Beat per scene from resolving conditions.


                          My Games
                          Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                          Comment


                          • BINDER
                            Willpower: 0/7 Mana: 0/10 Health: X////// (-3)
                            [Pattern Scoured: -1 Str] [Unconscious]

                            I have to do something to help her. It's my fault she got attacked... Binder sways a bit. Hard to focus. Gotta try.

                            Binder reaches into himself, trying to pull strength from somewhere.

                            Scouring Strength for 3 Mana!

                            Casting Mind over Matter (Mind 2)
                            Mana: Spending 3; 1 for Reach option, 2 for paradox mitigation
                            Reach: 2 Free; Spending for instant speed, advanced duration, and option to stay conscious.
                            Paradox (containing): 1 + 4 (prior risk) - 2 (tool) - 2 (mana) vs Wisdom 7 = 1 vs 7 -> 1 vs 1

                            Taking 1 Resistant Bashing wound, rolling Stamina 2 to stay up -> 2 successes!

                            Yantras: Knife (reflexive, dedicated)
                            Factors: Potency 3, Duration Scene
                            Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 - 2 (wounds) = 2 -> 0 successes

                            Might as well turn that failure into a dramatic failure for an Arcane Beat, if that's alright?


                            It doesn't work. Binder bites back pain and frustration, the edges of his vision darkening. He stumbles back across the street, towards the portal, with the hope that he'll be found by the other mages if they come out there.

                            Not sure if I'll need to make another Stamina roll to get there; if I do, I got 0 successes, so that'll mean that I pass out before I get there. Also, marking a Beat for "interacting" with an ephemeral entity.

                            Comment


                            • Binder
                              It's funny, in a way. You're only just starting to scratch the surface of your Awakened potential, and even though you know you're only scraping the very tip of the iceberg, magic has made you feel so incredibly powerful -- like you could take on the world.

                              And yet, for all that potential, you find yourself losing your grip on consciousness because of your body's frailty. Apparently, even mages aren't invincible. You collapse beside the girls. Your last thought before falling unconscious is a fervent hope that the monstrous entity attacking you doesn't kill you while you sleep.

                              For the dramatic failure on the spellcasting roll, take the Shaken condition (p. 317), which will become active once you awake, and gain an Arcane Beat. You also gain an Arcane Beat (rather than a regular Beat) for a significant interaction with an ephemeral entity. (It's an Obsession, not Aspiration, so you get Arcane Beats for those.)

                              Can you add a line to your post header that includes your Beats/Arcane beats, like the other players do? Thanks.


                              My Games
                              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                              Comment


                              • LYNX
                                Active Sight: None
                                Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
                                Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

                                Conditions/Tilts: Poor Light (Visual-based Perception rolls at -2); Inspired


                                Whoa is about right.

                                "Unless this is the dimension of specifically placed furniture, I think somebody's been here before."

                                "Do you think there is an actual dimension of specifically placed furniture?" Lynx asks as he approaches the dais, his nose and ears on alert.

                                Lynx attempts the Perception roll, and gains 1 success.

                                Dice pool for Perception roll: Wits (3) + Composure (3) + Heightened Senses (+1), total dice 7.

                                Perception roll → 1 success.
                                Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:55 AM.


                                Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X