Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LYNX
    Active Sight: None
    Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
    Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired


    "Ah, Professor," Lynx starts, but as Dr. Asphodel strides away from them, there's a pang of disappointment in his chest.

    We went through this together...

    The urgency of the moment catches up to him, however. He glances over at the man calling himself Mathias, and with a deep sigh, puts on half a smile as he pats Ragnar on the back.

    "Well, let's not keep your friend waiting."

    Yet, as he hurries alongside Ragnar to appease Mathias's urgency, a little part of him feels lost.

    "By the way, what's the etiquette on, well," he gestures to his exposed upper body,. "Bare-chested...ness?"
    Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:53 AM.


    Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

    Comment


    • RAGNAR
      Active Spells: None
      Conditions/Tilts: None
      Health: /OOOOOOO I WP: 1/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
      Beats: 1/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5


      Ragnar gives Dr. Asphodel an apologetic look and mimes "I'll call you" to her, and then turns and follows Mathias.

      "He's not precisely my friend," he says to Lynx in a low tone. "Remember that divination spell I cast before we entered the portal? It told me that if we went through, we would meet this mage. And he's taking us to meet other mages, if I understand him properly."

      He sneaks a look at Lynx's chest, and has to resist giving him an up-and-down. "Well... I'm sure there are one or two bars downtown that cater to a bearded, built, shirtless male clientele- I mean, assuming that's what you're into. Which you may not be." He frowns a little at Lynx's predicament. "You were wearing a shirt before we entered the portal. So what made you take it off inside it?" Man, I did not expect all that under that shir- wait... Ragnar shakes his head, suddenly seized with a sense of deja vu. Don't tell me I started checking him out inside the portal, too.

      I realized that, since it's a new scene, Serendipity would have worn off. I'm updating Ragnar's condition log to reflect that.


      Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

      Comment


      • LYNX
        Active Sight: None
        Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
        Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

        Conditions/Tilts: Inspired


        "So what made you take it off inside it?"

        Lynx snorts and chuckles, not bothering to keep his voice down. "We got wet, I remember that much. I don't like wearing wet clothes, so...I guess I took it off and lost it. You don't mind, do you?"

        He then looks ahead at the man, and keeps a low tone, "He seems to have good intentions, at least... Do you trust him?"
        Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:53 AM.


        Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

        Comment


        • RAGNAR
          Active Spells: None
          Conditions/Tilts: None
          Health: /OOOOOOO I WP: 1/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
          Beats: 1/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5


          "We got wet, I remember that much. I don't like wearing wet clothes, so...I guess I took it off and lost it. You don't mind, do you?"

          "Wet?" The word stirs up a mental snippet of his head breaking the surface of water, and a brief image of Lynx pulling off a soaking wet t-shirt. "It's all really hazy. But if you left it... wherever we were, I guess we can't go back. I think I'll survive," says Ragnar with a crooked smile.

          "He seems to have good intentions, at least... Do you trust him?"

          Ragnar considers the question for a moment, watching the back of Mathias' head as he leads them. "We just met the guy, so we can't tell one way or another," he whispers. "But right now, I don't think we have the luxury of distrusting him. We can do some stuff on our own, but we need answers. And right now, he's the only potential source of them that we have. I'm sticking with him until he gives me a reason to not trust him."


          Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

          Comment


          • Binder
            When you open your Sight, the mundane world around you becomes more muted and the portal on the wall appears again before your eyes. The portal appears more unstable than before: The edges appear to be shaking, and there are bright flashes of lightning shooting across the surface. Black tendrils of energy seem to be colliding with the lightning, as if the two energies are at conflict.


            Lynx and Ragnar
            The two of you catch up to Mathias, who offers a smile, but his eyebrows are furrowed with worry. He waves you towards the train station, about half a block away. As you walk, he turns towards you and chuckles, then reaches into a backpack slung over his shoulder. Mathias pulls out a black shirt and tosses it to Lynx. "I forgot to give that to you earlier, sorry. I knew you'd be needing that but wasn't sure why." Mathias seems like he wants to ask, but just grins instead. The shirt is roughly your size, maybe a little smaller -- it fits tightly in the chest and arms. "Better not to draw too much attention after a Highstorm if you can help it."

            Mathias also pulls out three CTA punch cards, gives one to each of you, and holds onto the third for himself. "I didn't know which of you was going to follow, but I knew it wasn't all three." His voice is tinged with minor annoyance at the mention of not knowing. "I know you don't know me, but please, trust me. I will explain as much as I can and answer your questions if possible."

            The three of you arrive at the train station, and Mathias leads the way through. He sticks his punch card in and runs up the stairs to the tracks. The train pulls up just moments later, and he walks on board and takes a seat in a vacant booth on the train. There are a handful of people sitting on the opposite end of the train car, but no one pays you any notice in particular.

            Mathias tries to keep his voice lower, occasionally glancing over at the other side of the train to see if anyone is looking in their direction. "The crazy weather patterns that happen here, like the one that just ended? We call them a Highstorm," he explains. "We mages, I mean. Not all of them are found or reveal themselves, but we have a society here in the greater Chicago metro area of...maybe a couple hundred? Small enough in a city of this size that when we learn about someone who's newly Awakened, that's a big deal.

            "Anyway, during or immediately after these Highstorms, sometimes...things happen. Doors open up to strange places that we can't remember clearly, only bits and pieces. The mystery behind it all is fascinating, so a lot of us congregate here when one happens. There's danger here, serious danger, so I usually try to...look ahead to see what I might encounter." He smiles again, and for a moment his excitement overcomes the worry on his face. "To find three of you here, and know that there are three others we're about to meet, is incredible."

            Mathias' tone turns worried again, and his expression darkens. "But something is going wrong with the others. They're in incredible danger. A monster, or creature, or something...I'm not sure what it is. But there's going to be something coming out. We need to get to them quickly, or they're going to be in grave danger. And even if they're ok...Well, a lot of other people might not be. Today, tomorrow, I don't know, but it's not good."
            Last edited by rwknoll; 09-24-2016, 10:30 PM.


            My Games
            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

            Comment


            • LYNX
              Active Sight: None
              Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
              Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

              Conditions/Tilts: Inspired


              Lynx slips into the shirt, shifting uncomfortably as he hurries after the man - A little too tight... - his ears kept firmly on the man's - No, Mathias, that's what he said his name was. - explanatory monologue. He rubs his beard on occasion, questions emerging in his mind, as he makes himself comfortable in the seat opposite Mathias.

              "We call them a Highstorm, We mages, I mean. Not all of them are found or reveal themselves, but we have a society here in the greater Chicago metro area of...maybe a couple hundred? Small enough in a city of this size that when we learn about someone who's newly Awakened, that's a big deal."

              "
              Around a hundred like me and Ragnar? And that's small?" Lynx asks curiously. "So there are even more of us... mages elsewhere? That's amazing!"

              ...


              ... He smiles again, and for a moment his excitement overcomes the worry on his face. "To find three of you here, and know that there are three others we're about to meet, is incredible. But something is going wrong with the others. They're in incredible danger. A monster, or creature, or something...I'm not sure what it is."

              "Monsters...you mean like the... the..." Lynx rubs his beard again, gesturing with his other hand while trying to find his words. "Like spirits? The ones that are on the 'other side'?"

              ...

              ..."But there's going to be something coming out. We need to get to them quickly, or they're going to be in grave danger. And even if they're ok...Well, a lot of other people might not be. Today, tomorrow, I don't know, but it's not good."

              "I hope we get there in time, then!"

              As the train carries on, Lynx glances at Mathias and Ragnar. He tilts his head, and asks, "So... are you two the same type of mage? Are there actual categories of mages? Only you said you used a Fate spell, and I know Ragnar has also used Fate spells."

              OOC: This was tricky to format.

              Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:53 AM.


              Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

              Comment


              • RAGNAR
                Active Spells: None
                Conditions/Tilts: None
                Health: /OOOOOOO I WP: 1/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
                Beats: 1/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5

                Ragnar notices the look that Mathias gives them, and starts blushing. "Nothing happened! I mean, not that I'm opposed to something happening. I mean..." Ragnar closes his eyes. "We ended up underwater at some point. Lynx took his shirt off. That's it. Totally platonic."

                On the bus, Ragnar sits and listens to Mathias. "Anyway, during or immediately after these Highstorms, sometimes...things happen. Doors open up to strange places that we can't remember clearly, only bits and pieces."

                Ragnar sits up at that part, keeping the same quiet tone as Mathias and Lynx. "Yes, that matches up with what we experienced. We were all in a first-year seminar class. The storm started up, I took a peek with my Sight, and I saw a portal. But it was... odd. Like somebody put a dark veil over it. We decided to investigate. And we can only remember scraps."

                He continues to listen until Lynx speaks up. "Like spirits? The ones that are on the 'other side'?"

                "Lynx here saw some spirits feeding on hail from the storm. It seem like it was... tainted by some sort of energy. Has anybody reported that before?"

                He sits quietly once again until Lynx mentions their shared magical talents. "You know, I've been wondering that myself. My magic seems to be tied to Fate and Time. I'm sure we don't have the time to get into details, but do mages have inherent magical proclivities?"


                Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                Comment


                • Phoenix
                  You whack the Abyssal creature squarely between what look like eyes, using all of your might and speed to make the blow count. You feel it connect, and the creature growls. The "skin" you struck seems to turn darker for a moment, and the small mark you had made with your "staff" disappears. It smiles again, and then reaches out its hands.

                  Its long, sinewy arms end in talons that suddenly explode towards you faster than you can react, sending a blast of dark energy that rips through your body. It's faster and stronger than a gun, causing intense agony that your supernatural armor can only partially protect against.

                  The Abyssal entity will use its Blast numina, which currently counts as a +0L firearm, so your Defense does not apply.

                  Blast (14d10): 6 lethal damage. Your armor absorbs 2 of the damage, so you take a net 4 lethal. I believe that now means you'll need a Stamina roll to remain conscious.


                  Initiative
                  Abyssal entity: Blast
                  --> Moonstone: Your turn
                  Phoenix
                  Lynx and Ragnar
                  "Well, if you think about it, there are about 10 million people in the greater Chicago metro area. A few hundred is a very small fraction. And there are more here than in many other places, because the Highstorms draw a lot of interest," Mathias explains quietly.

                  At the mention of spirits, his frown deepens and he shakes his head. "Not quite like that. Darker, more sinister. They come from a place we call the Abyss. It's...I can't even begin to explain that with the time we have. There will be plenty of time later for existential quandaries, and someone with a lot more knowledge on it than I have can try to tell you all about it. If you're interested in meeting more of my colleagues, anyway." The statement has a questioning tone, and Mathias eyes you both hopefully.

                  Mathias looks at Ragnar with concern. "Look, it's none of my business technically, but I need to warn you: Sometimes people come out of those Highstorms with...things they didn't have when they went in. Items, books, artifacts of minor or even incredible power. It's why so many mages go hunting in the Highstorms." He bites his lip with worry. "But a lot of them are messed up. Tainted. Cursed. Be careful with them."

                  The train slows down, and Mathis stands up. "I...honestly don't know about the spirit stuff. That sounds dark, and might have to do with what we're about to face." As you look out the window, you see the train arriving near the heart of downtown Chicago. "There are five different types of mages, at least in terms of how they naturally experience magic. You and I likely share a Path," he says to Ragnar. "We'll have to talk more about it later, I'm sorry."

                  The train slows to a halt, and Mathias quickly moves through the door. He stops on the platform and surreptitiously pulls out a small, silver coin and flips it in his hand. As he does, you both feel a pulse of energy on your Periphery, and then Mathias points to a staircase leading down from the train platform and to the street below. "This way," he instructs.
                  Last edited by rwknoll; 09-27-2016, 01:38 AM.


                  My Games
                  Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                  Comment


                  • Phoenix
                    Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
                    Health: LLLLBBB (Unconscious) | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 3/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                    Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None


                    The "crooked man" eats some straw. Then it smiles again, but not quite like before. Before, it smiled like it was about to kill some prey, and that part of the smile's still there, but now there's something new to it. It's as if...it likes its prey to fight back. Okay, now I'm officially creeped out. But before the feeling really starts to sink in, it fires these "talons" straight into me. The armor manages to keep them away from vital organs, but many rip right through skin and muscle, a few even go through the center mass.

                    At first, there's no pain, I'm just stunned. Took a few shots before, but nothing like this. Bullets tend to pierce straight through neatly. These talons ripped their way through, snagging and tearing as they went. I instinctively take a hand to swab some blood, gazing at the crimson palm. And that's the pain rolling in now. My legs don't wanna work anymore, so they let me collapse on the floor, leaving me clutching at the wounds. The agony of it all overloads everything, and it all goes black.

                    Dammit...

                    Stamina 2 = 2 dice → 0 successes

                    Oh, he's out cold. First monster encounter in the chronicle, and the Hunter gets owned. Marvelous.

                    Comment


                    • RAGNAR
                      Mage Sight: Fate, Time
                      Active Spells: None
                      Conditions/Tilts: None
                      Health: /OOOOOOO I WP: 1/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
                      Beats: 1/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5

                      Ragnar follows after Mathias. He notes the silver coin in Mathias' hand and gives a tight smile at what he assumes is Mathias casting the same spell that he used to seek direction in the other place. He opens his vision to Fate and Time as he goes, scanning the area, searching for any signs of the danger that Mathias mentioned.

                      Ragnar uses Active Mage Sight, invoking Fate and Time. He will keep it active for the time being.


                      His hand briefly strays to his pocket, where he still keeps the small black stone knife. A cursed object? Perhaps, but there's no need to bother Mathias about it now. Maybe he'll conduct his own investigations at a later point. He certainly won't risk using it in a crisis situation. If it comes to spell casting, he has his silver knife.


                      Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                      Comment


                      • Moonstone
                        Active Sight: None | Active Spells: None
                        Conditions: Divergent (Active), Abyssal Backlash (+6 Paradox), Shaken
                        Health: XX/OOO | Willpower: 1/8 | Mana: 2/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5



                        No, no, he was supposed to run, not stand and fight! The pool of shadow ripples with indignation. Who does Phoenix think he is? Hakim? Unlikely. Highly, highly unlikely. Although: the timing is rather suspicious. He just passed on, and now here Phoenix was, the unworked but unmistakable embodiment of an Arrow, standing by Moonstone's side when he obviously should have turned and run- idiot, fool of a Sleeper, in over his head- and now he was dead dead dead, or about to be dead and dead and dead indeed, oh god, his thoughts were spiraling away from him again.

                        All he needed was Time. Time to stop and breathe and think, that's all he's needed since Hakim died, and he hadn't gotten it except for a few precious minutes with Phoenix and Binder- where was Binder?

                        Okay. So he can't step outside of Time. But he can make it work for him. He knows the ways.

                        Spending 1 Mana to activate Time Armor. Moonstone is still intangible and can only be targeted by Supernal magic (per Shadow Flesh), but when he's out of the shadow he'll have Defense 9 that applies against firearms-like attacks.


                        As badly as he wants to flow up the spiraling staircase and see where it leads, leave this horrible dream behind and ascend the Star Ladder up and out of this sacred Atlantean space...wrapped in Time, he spends a precious second-minute-hour looking longingly up the ladder...er, the staircase. Just a staircase. Just a ruin. Past is over. Present is now.

                        The shadow flows across the floor of the star chamber as quickly as the magic will let it, stretching itself out, creeping beneath the light-eating nightmare beast's own aura of unnatural darkness until the very tip touches Phoenix's bloody and crumpled body. Moonstone thinks: Disappear.

                        Casting Mind 2 "Incognito Presence" on Phoenix. My goal is to keep the entity from finishing him off, making it lose interest in his body. "This one isn't worth the effort." I got a little Plan for the next 2 turns or so, let's see if it has time to pan out before we both get eaten.

                        1 Reach for instant casting, and that's all. It's at touch range. No Paradox roll for once! Gnosis 1 Mind 2, +2 for Concentration. 5 dice: 1 success. Phoenix is veiled for the next 2 turns, or until I take damage or a non-reflexive action.
                        Last edited by Caladriu; 09-25-2016, 04:56 AM.


                        2E Legacy Updates
                        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                        Storm Keepers

                        Comment


                        • LYNX
                          Active Sight: None
                          Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
                          Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

                          Conditions/Tilts: Inspired


                          Tainted? Cursed? Guess I'll have to check... whatever it is later.

                          Lynx's nose twitches as he senses the man - No, Mathias! - cast his spell. He notes the coin, but keeps his curiosity at bay as he hurries alongside his newfound companion. Instinctively, he keeps fingering his silver necklace, on the ready for... something.

                          Anything.

                          "Mathias, what's the nature of the danger we're about to engage?" Lynx asks as he jogs up next to Mathias. "I mean, I assume it's more dangerous than the risk of drowning?"
                          Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:52 AM.


                          Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

                          Comment


                          • Ragnar
                            You open your Sight to the colorful, nearly hallucinogenic senses of Arcadia. Bright colors of Fate swirl around you and your traveling companions. You notice that the eddies of Fate swirl more tightly around Mathias, seeming to move with purpose as he walks down the stairwell; you understand it to mean that he has one or more Fate spells active. Your Time Sight is less enlightening for now, as the river of Time appears unaltered around you or this area. You do, however, feel a vague sense of urgency that you didn't notice before, as if something momentous is about to happen.

                            When you see Mathias flip his coin again, with your Sight open, you catch a glimpse of Fate magic and a dazzling display of color like a halo around Mathias, the aura that you perceive as his nimbus. It's dizzying and disorienting, but enchanting all at once.


                            Lynx
                            Mathias surprises you by actually laughing out loud, although his tone is dark. "Son, you'll quickly learn that for mages, a lot of things are more dangerous than the risk of drowning," he replies. "I believe we will make it in time to see the others come out of the Highstorm portal, but I think some foul creature from the Abyss is going to hijack their way out."

                            The older man quickly goes down the stairs and peers around at the intersection. He flips his coin again, and you feel another pulse on your Periphery. Mathias looks in each direction but steps to the left at the intersection, revealing a side street that has a few handfuls of people walking at a brisk pace away from you. One person in particular is standing and staring at a blank place on the brick wall.

                            For purposes of spellcasting and Paradox, there are 6 Sleepers on the street currently in your immediate area, although they are moving away from you.


                            Binder
                            As you stare at the portal, your attention is pulled away to your left where you see someone cast a spell. You see a burst of dizzying light around an older man leading two younger men, and feel a thrill of euphoria in your gut.


                            Moonstone
                            Your spell takes hold around Phoenix, and the Abyssal entity slowly turns its head to study you exclusively. For the moment, it seems to have turned its attention away from your companion.

                            Unfortunately, that means its focus is now entirely on you.

                            The creature raises its sinewy arms again, and the talons claw at the air. Suddenly, the shadows around the room swirl, forming shapes of incomprehensible horrors, swirling clouds of what look like teeth and knives. Whether the shadows are real or some trick of your mind, you can't tell. The creature looks at you with a sinister smile, and somehow you can tell it is looking you straight in the eyes despite your current form. You feel a pulse of dark energy and a surge of paralyzing fear trying to well up inside of you, as if your emotions are not your own.

                            I'm ruling that your current form does not grant immunity to supernatural effects that don't cause damage, as Numina are analogous to Supernal magic. I need you to roll a contested Presence + Composure + Gnosis. Awe (14) = 5 successes.


                            Initiative
                            Abyssal entity: Awe
                            --> Moonstone: Roll first before taking your turn
                            Phoenix: Currently unable to act (unconscious)

                            If I'm remembering correctly, Phoenix doesn't get any more rolls to wake up, and needs healing (natural or supernatural) to get back in action.
                            Last edited by rwknoll; 09-27-2016, 02:34 AM.


                            My Games
                            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                            Comment


                            • Moonstone
                              Active Sight: None | Active Spells: Incognito Presence (on Phoenix, 2 turns left/Concentration duration, Potency 1)
                              Conditions: Divergent (Active), Abyssal Backlash (+6 Paradox), Shaken
                              Health: XX/OOO | Willpower: 1/8 | Mana: 1/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5



                              Presence+Composure+Gnosis, 6 dice: 2 successes. This seems like as good a time as any to resolve Shaken for a Beat and make that a straight failure.

                              Preemptive question about Awe: it says "unable to move or speak." Does that mean I just lose my turn(s), or can I take actions that don't require moving or speaking? Like for instance, it's specifically possible to cast spells while grappled and immobilized.

                              Also question about this thing's Withstand. Every spell in the book that specifically targets ephemeral entities is Withstood by Rank, rather than Resistance or another stat. If I wanted to cast a spell on this thing that was normally Withstood by a human stat like Resolve, should I use Rank instead?
                              Last edited by Caladriu; 09-27-2016, 03:17 AM.


                              2E Legacy Updates
                              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                              Storm Keepers

                              Comment


                              • LYNX
                                Active Sight: None
                                Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; Potency 1, 1 week duration: +1 to Perception rolls); Body Control (Life 2; Potency 2, 1 week duration);
                                Willpower: 2/5. Mana: 7/10

                                Conditions/Tilts: Inspired





                                "You're making it hard not to ask questions," Lynx replies with a light smile, bristling as his Periphery triggers. "I guess I'm a little impatient, only everything's bloody exciting today!"

                                As they scurry down the stairs and into the side street, the one gazing at the wall leaves Lynx frowning momentarily. He stops for a few seconds, despite their haste, and looks over the person from both the mundane and supernal perspective, allowing the Primal Wild to, once more, embrace his senses.

                                Action: Lynx attempts an Empathy roll to see what's up with the person gazing at the wall, and garners 3 successes!

                                Empathy Roll to discern person staring at wall: Wits 3 + Empathy 3, for dice pool 6.

                                Empathy roll → 3 successes.

                                Action: After the Empathy roll, he activates Life and Spirit Senses and checks the person out supernally.
                                Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 10-01-2016, 06:51 AM.


                                Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X