Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    DR. ASPHODEL
    Active Spells: None
    [Mage Sight: Death, Matter]

    Dr. Asphodel looks at Simon, then at the girl getting up to leave. "H-hold on. N-nobody's going out in th, uh, that hail just yet, 'm'not letting y-you get hit by so-some golfball-ass ice ch-chunk." A few students give a weak, nervous giggle. "Si-Simon, hold down th'fort. I'mma, I'm g'check outside quick." She opens her inner eyes, scuttling with deceptive speed toward the door...

    And then she stops, the prickling flaring up. With the jerky speed of a bird of prey, her head snaps around toward Oscar.

    Active Mage Sight is up. I hope I'm doing this right!

    Comment


    • #17
      Moonstone and Binder
      As soon as you open your true Eyes, the world changes in front of you.

      You can see very clearly now that the storm is clearly made of pure magical energy. Through the lens of your Path, you can sense the minds of about 10-15 people in the train car and know instinctually that all of them are wide awake. But it's not your Mind sense that shows the most about this weather. As you look out at the Highstorm, for a brief moment, you think you see out of the corner of your eye something flash down on the street below. If you didn't know any better, it looked like a door made of the same shadowy substance as the hail falling against the train. Whatever it is, you sense a spatial warp around it.

      You can each roll Int+Occult


      Phoenix
      The world seems dull by comparison as you let the Fallen World override your vision once more. Even without your Mage Sight, however, you can definitely see that the train is slowing down.

      Moonstone, Binder, and Phoenix
      You hear a male voice make an announcement on the overhead speaker system, but it's cutting in and out. "Ladi-- ----men, we're hav-- some technic-- ---culties. Ple--- -ain calm and -------."

      Then the speaker cuts out. The lights flicker, and then shut off entirely, flooding the train with darkness. After a shudder and a squeal, the train screeches to a halt, thankfully just as it pulls up to an exit platform. You notice that the lights are flickering or gone entirely on the platform, too.

      You are currently under the effects of the Poor Light environment tilt. All visual-based Perception rolls are currently at -2.


      Ragnar
      Your newly activated Mage Sight reveals waves of magic emanating from the storm hanging over the city, and from the hail clanging against the wall and windows. Through the lens of your Path, you don't perceive the storm or hail to have any direct impact on the threads of destiny or temporal warps. Glancing around the room, nothing along those lines jumps out to you, either.

      What you do see, however, is a shadow around one of the male undergrad students temporarily flash into the shape of some cat-like creature with long pointed ears. The man's nature appears, for just a moment, to be part animal, and you feel an echo of primary energy surge through you for just a moment. You can instinctually tell that he just cast a spell from the Life Arcanum.

      Dr. Asphodel
      It's probably comforting to know that as you study the room with your Mage Sight, your Death sense indicates that everyone in the room does, in fact, have a soul and is currently alive. By studying the storm, you see that the clouds are filled with energy, but beyond that you're not sure what it might be. You are sure, though, that the hail is not causing any significant structural damage to the building itself.

      As your gaze passes over Oscar, you watch him use Awakened magic from the Life Arcanum. You temporarily feel a surge of primal energy pass through your body, and his soul flashes brightly for just a moment, but otherwise you notice no harmful effects to yourself.

      Ragnar, Dr. Asphodel, and Lynx
      The lights dim, flicker again, and then shut off. Lynx can hear the air conditioning shut off with his heightened senses. Several students scream or shout in surprise, and more than a few jump to their feet and try to walk towards the door. "I think we can go over the syllabus on Thursday," someone yells out sarcastically.

      You are currently under the effects of the Poor Light environment tilt. All visual-based Perception rolls are currently at -2.


      My Games
      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

      Comment


      • #18
        RAGNAR
        Active Effects: Active Mage Sight (Fate, Time)
        Conditions/Tilts: Poor Light (Visual-based Perception rolls at -2)

        Ragnar stands for a moment in total shock as he processes what he just saw. Oscar... just did magic. He reached out and called upon the powers of Life to affect himself. It's a profoundly happy moment for Ragnar, who has never encountered another magic-user before. He feels the urge to approach Oscar, to hug him, to celebrate that neither of them are unique, that they have a connection...

        He shakes his head. That can wait a minute. There are more important issues. The class is on the verge of panicking, and that's not going to help what could be a dangerous situation. He and Dr. McCallister need to take charge of the situation before the class gets any more agitated.

        "Okay everybody! I know we're having some wild weather right now, but panicking is not going to help the situation. You need to stay calm and listen to Dr. McCallister. She'll tell you what to do."

        I roll to calm the class down. Manipulation+Empathy+Status (UChicago)=5 -> 1 success



        Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

        Comment


        • #19
          LYNX
          Active Sight: None
          Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; +1 to Perception rolls; 1 week duration)
          Mana: 10/10

          Conditions/Tilts: Poor Light (Visual-based Perception rolls at -2)




          The lights shutting off alongside the quiet din of the air conditioning fading tells Oscar that the electricity likely went out. The increasing discomfit of his fellow students appear to reach a high when the sarcastic comment rings through the air; then the TA's voice cuts through the budding chaos, and in the minuscule moment of quiet's beginning, Oscar takes a deep breath.

          Thanks, Mr. Collins. One moment's all I need...

          He spots the door and briskly moves towards it. With his hand on the handle, he prepares to open it, senses on the ready...

          Action: Lynx does a Perception roll to draw in the environment, but garners no successes on his roll.

          Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 07-14-2016, 12:54 PM.


          Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

          Comment


          • #20
            Moonstone
            (Active Sight: Mind+Space)


            The train shuddered to a halt. Moonstone barely paid attention, except to tell the car: "What did I tell you?"

            As for the Real world outside the train: how little we know.

            Intelligence 1 + Occult 4: 0 successes. Moonstone doesn't know the world of magic as well as he thinks he does. Actually I should have applied a -2 to that roll because I have Active sight up just to see the shadow door, and I believe it's a roll unrelated to scrutinizing or casting magic. I'd like to turn that into a dramatic failure for a beat, if possible. Mistaken information?


            2E Legacy Updates
            Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
            Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
            Storm Keepers

            Comment


            • #21
              Phoenix
              [Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Nightvision]
              [Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 10/10]
              [Conditions: Grieving (Guilty) | Tilts: None]

              Damn, the guy somehow noticed me. Ah well, not like it matters a whole lot. What really worries me is the storm outside. It's magical in nature, so maybe another mage is casting it? I don't think it was that other guy, as his spell was related to time, not storms. Wait, could it be...Anubis? I saw a storm just like this one when I was on his tail before. In fact, I think the other mages referred to it as the Deathstorm. So maybe Anubis was killing others with it before, which would mean he's now after me.

              Then the power starts cutting out on the train, making me a sitting duck in darkness. That won't stop me though. I've got magic of my own now, so I wave my hand across my face. To anyone else, it simply looks like I'm brushing the hair out of my eyes, but what I'm really doing is crossing my tattoo over my vision, focusing the symbol to enhance the potential of my senses to see past the dark.

              Improv cast Nightvision p. 141; 2 free Reach, spent on Instant casting and Advanced Duration; No penalties, but increased primary factor Duration to 1 day; Dedicated Tool used as Path Tool for +1

              Gnosis + Forces + 1 = 4 dice → 2 successes


              Now unhindered by the failing light, I look throughout the entire car, keeping watch for Anubis or anything else that might pose a threat.

              Perception check through the whole car, focusing on any threats or danger (keep in mind he does have the Danger Sense Merit), I don't believe the roll is penalized now that darkness doesn't affect him, but correct the roll if I'm wrong.

              Wits + Composure = 5 dice → 1 success
              Last edited by crapcarp; 07-13-2016, 01:02 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                RAGNAR
                Active Effects: None
                Conditions/Tilts: Poor Lighting (-2 to vision-based Perception Rolls)
                Health: 8/8 WP: 4/4 Mana: 10/10
                Seeing Oscar move towards the door, Ragnar releases his focus on his Mage Sight and moves to intercept him. "Oscar, isn't it? I know you may be freaked up, but you really have to stay here and wait for Dr. McCallister's instructions." He then leans in close to Oscar. "You just used magic," he whispers, "didn't you? Something to affect your body, I think. I can use magic too, that's how I knew. I know this storm isn't normal. It's got magical properties, but I couldn't tell what kind. Listen, if you're willing, you and I can take a look at this ourselves. But I think we should wait until Dr. McCallister lets the class leave."


                Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                Comment


                • #23
                  Ragnar
                  To your pleasant surprise, a number of the students stop moving and turn to you concernedly. It's hard to see their faces, and several kids mutter annoyedly as they bump into each other in the dark. It takes a moment before someone realizes they can use their phone flashlight for a little illumination, but it's still pitch black outside. A number of the kids are still lined up by the door, but no one is bolting yet. You're not sure how long they'll listen to you, though.

                  I assumed you turned off Mage Sight before making the roll, but even with a -2 you'd get 1 success.


                  Lynx
                  You know from walking into the class earlier that the door you're standing by leads into a short hallway, which procedes to a main lobby, a set of stairs, and the main exit to the building. You can't hear anything noteworthy through the door, even with your heightened senses, mostly because of the loud din in the room. The sound of hail clattering against the windows is still loud to your ears.

                  Moonstone
                  As you study the shadowy door precisely 15 feet along the platform, down stairs to the ground level 25 feet below, and 37.5 feet around the corner of the nearest building, you distinctly recall a conversation with one of Hakim's acquaintances who told you about portals to the Abyss. He told a chilling story about these doorways, which sound exactly like the one you're seeing, in which near-omnipotent supernatural monsters break into the Fallen World and feed on nearby victims to harvest their Essence. He never quite told you how far away they could reach...Did something just move in the shadows by the door?

                  Another thought pops into your mind: How unlikely is "unlikely", exactly?

                  Take a Beat for the dramatic failure on the occult check. You gain the Spooked condition (p. 318).


                  Phoenix
                  Your vision changes again, but in a much different way; despite the darkness suffusing the train car, you can see everyone on the train relatively clearly. A middle-aged mother comforts her young girl, but her own face looks concerned. One athletic man in the corner, who looks to be in his mid-20s and is wearing a leather jacket, shifts in his seat nervously, eyes flickering towards the door. A few other people seem undisturbed but clearly annoyed ("This is bullshit man!"). You don't see any clear threats...for the moment.

                  Binder
                  If you still have Mage Sight active, you see a flash of energy form around a young man, probably 20 years old, who's staring intently outside the window of the train car and at the other people in the train. His eyes seem to crack, as if leaking energy. You instinctively know it's some kind of Forces spell he cast on himself.

                  If you don't have active Mage Sight on, you don't see anything in particular but have another odd sense of something supernatural happening near you.


                  My Games
                  Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Moonstone
                    (Active Sight: none)
                    (Conditions: Spooked)


                    Okay. Okay. So he isn't going to die, but everyone else might. And it's because the monsters on the other side of the nightmare door can smell his magic, and they're going to try to eat him and the other mages that he's going to meet. So, you know, more or less, he just doomed everyone on the car to be harvested for Essence. All because he Awakened.

                    "Nope! Too much. That's enough. Stop the train, I want to get off- oh, it has, good."

                    Moonstone, frantically talking to himself in line with the general disquiet on the train, returned his sight to the Fallen world (can't let the monsters know he sees them!) and stood up and gracefully crossed the dark train to the interior door and attempted to open it. Surely all of the power can't have gone off.


                    2E Legacy Updates
                    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                    Storm Keepers

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      BINDER
                      Active Spells: None
                      [Mage Sight: Mind, Space (ends in this post)]

                      Binder is mildly surprised to see that it's not the young man he recognized, but rather someone else entirely, casting a spell. He tries to keep cool and not stare, allowing his Mage Sight to end.

                      Just a quick post before bed

                      To see if Pheonix notices Binder noticing him!
                      Composure + Subterfuge = 5 -> 3 successes!

                      Furthermore, that Int + Occult check that was called for earlier:
                      Intelligence + Occult = 5 -> 1 success!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Phoenix
                        [Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Nightvision]
                        [Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 10/10]
                        [Conditions: Grieving (Guilty) | Tilts: None]

                        Scanning the room, I see no obvious threats, just people being concerned over the train shutting down. Nothing out of the ordinary, except for the Deathstorm.

                        Contesting Binder's Composure + Subterfuge roll

                        Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5 dice → 1 successes

                        Not really focusing on Binder since he doesn't appear to be a threat, so Phoenix doesn't even notice a bit


                        Then, that one time mage suddenly gets up from his seat and heads straight for the door.

                        Reading Moonstone's emotional state

                        Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5 dice → 0 successes


                        Guess he's in a hurry, but I doubt he's gonna get far. He is a fellow mage though, so maybe we can put our heads together to get outta this mess. "Maybe we should wait for the staff to help us out," I suggest as I approach, letting him know I'm coming up to him. Then I lean in to whisper "Though truth be told, I don't think they can, you and I both know this is no ordinary storm. I saw you cast that spell before, that's why I was staring at you. I'm a mage like you, so I'm thinking if we work together, we can work this out."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Moonstone
                          (Active Sight: none, Active Spells: Telepathy [concentration/scene duration], Conditions: Spooked)

                          It's dark and confusing and Phoenix can't quite tell what's up with the time mage, except that he's in a hurry to leave.

                          Moonstone tensed up when staring-guy came over to the door, but visibly calmed down with his whispered explanation. Thanks to his divination, he was noticeably not surprised. Whispered back: "Understood. We're going to meet at least one more."

                          He closed his eyes and rested one hand on the overhead bar and the other hand on the man's shoulder, and his thoughts bloomed.

                          Casting Mind 2 Telepathy, touch range. 1 reach to instant cast, 1 reach for scene duration (although it ends if I stop concentrating or touching him), 1 reach to let both of us send and receive thoughts. 2 Paradox dice, going to Release if one happens because I don't know any better. 0 successes.

                          Spellcasting: Gnosis 1+Mind 2, -2 for +1 Potency to get past Withstand, +2 for Concentration yantra, +3 for spending a Willpower. 6 dice: 3 successes.


                          Thoughts from an unfamiliar source crept into Phoenix's mind. A voice like the time mage's in a more feminine register was narrating, with some stray ideas and vague feelings slipping through. His thoughts were like messy flyaway hair next to a clean crew cut:

                          "(all gonna die like He did - pop the door pop the door - this guy's gotta be the first one)
                          Do not be afraid. I am thinking at you, but I am not reading or taking. (i don't think so at least)
                          I saw a dark portal on the street below us. It is related to the storm. (it's an Abyss door and monsters are gonna come out)
                          I feel that we need to leave the train. We are not safe in here. (or anywhere)
                          I can squeeze us through this door, but it is obvious magic. I can also make us (small - ignored - quiet) unseen.
                          Think back and I promise I will hear it. I feel that we should not speak of magic in detail out loud.
                          (fuck me i hope this works)"



                          2E Legacy Updates
                          Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                          Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                          Storm Keepers

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            LYNX
                            Active Sight: None
                            Active Spells: Heightened Senses (Life 2; +1 to Perception rolls; 1 week duration)
                            Mana: 10/10

                            Conditions/Tilts: Poor Light (Visual-based Perception rolls at -2)





                            The constant noise from his fellow students leaves Oscar with a frustrated sigh - despite Simon's attempt to quell the turmoil, it seems a temporary solution at best.

                            Panicking isn't going to help right now. I'll give Mr. Collins a hand.

                            "Everybody," he calls out loudly, putting emphasis on his accent - fluent, rather British too - "Everybody, let's try to calm down! I know it's scary, but take some deep breaths! I'm sure everything's going to be fine, okay? We'll make it through together."

                            Action: Lynx attempts to calm down the room with a presence and empathy roll, and gets 3 successes.

                            He makes sure to block the door - Hallway's probably safe, but... - as he waits to see if the room calms down... Then Mr. Collins approaches him. He's momentarily startled - yet at his words he feels glee build inside of him.

                            Other people can do magic too!? Oh hells yes.

                            "I did, yeah... heightened my senses. Everybody's too loud, though, I can't sense much. I just wanted to know if something's in the hallway, but I wasn't thinking of leaving, don't worry. And how could you tell that storm's... y'know..." Oscar does an exaggerated gesture and a soft whooshing sound.

                            Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM.


                            Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              RAGNAR
                              Active Spells: None
                              Conditions/Tilts: Poor Light (-2 to vision-based Perception)
                              Health: 8/8 WP: 4/4 Mana: 10/10

                              Ragnar struggles to explain his sight, but comes up short and shrugs. "It's kind of hard to describe. Sometimes, when something..." he shrugs again. "... Weird is going on, I get this sense. Like, somebody's playing chimes somewhere. And if I focus my sight, I can see things. Like a third eye or something, I guess; choices and alternate paths, and the flow of time." He looks Oscar in the eye, suddenly serious. "I took a look at the storm. It's not changing how things are going to play out, and time doesn't seem to be stopping, or going backwards, or anything bizarre. But I've got a feeling we have different specialties when it comes to magic, because I can't do anything like that sense-heightening thing you did. Did you notice anything?"


                              Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Moonstone
                                Before anyone else even moves, you scramble up to the door of the train car, but it doesn't slide open. However, you can tell that it might open with a hard push, and there's a clear sign indicating to push open in the case of emergencies.

                                When you attempt to cast your spell, you can sense yourself reaching in some way, straining to push the limits of your Mind magic. But it works without a hitch, and you can feel the tendrils of energy carrying the surface thoughts back and forth between the two of you.

                                Anyone on the train can try and force the door open by rolling Strength + Stamina (no modifiers).

                                If you attempt to cast any obvious spell, on your next roll add 1 paradox die due to cumulative bonuses, add 1 die due to the presence of Sleeper witnesses, and give the overall paradox roll the 9-again quality.


                                Binder
                                Just before you lower your Mage Sight, you do notice the man you recognized cast a Mind spell on the other mage in the train standing next to him. For a split second, he seems to shrink and then grow before your eyes in a disorienting way. To your Supernal vision, you see some kind of faint connection form between their minds as they look at each other. It fades as your Mage Sight fades.

                                Phoenix
                                If you hadn't already sensed that Moonstone was a mage, perhaps you would have been surprised when he casts a spell on you. You hear a voice in your head -- this mage's voice -- although it's a foreign feeling that is somewhat unnerving.

                                Lynx and Ragnar
                                Perhaps it's because he's slightly older than most of the American students, or because of how his voice cuts through the buzz of noise in the room, but Oscar's words and presence catch even more of the other students' attention than the graduate TA's did. The students grumble a little, but they form a semblance of a line leading up to the front door and don't try to bolt. Most of them have pulled out their phone flashlights at this point, adding enough light to the room that it's quite easier to see -- especially to Oscar's currently heightened senses.

                                As the two mages begin to converse about magic, a young woman standing near you -- the same one who interrupted class to point out the storm -- looks up from her cell phone and gives a puzzling look to each of you in turn. Despite the ambient noise in the room, she seems like she might have overheard you talking to each other. "Wait, what are you talking about?" she asks pointedly.

                                The penalty to visual Perception rolls in the classroom is down to -1.

                                Despite giving a -1 penalty due to the commotion in the room, someone rolled well to hear you: Eavesdrop (Wits 2 + Composure 2 - 1): 2 successes.

                                Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon, this is a minor request, but can you do me a favor and not put quotation marks around your inner dialogue? Or, alternatively, do what crapcarp does and use a colored font for your spoken text? I keep mistaking that for spoken words.
                                Last edited by rwknoll; 07-13-2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: Formatting


                                My Games
                                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X