Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BINDER
    Willpower: 0/7 Mana: 0/10 Health: LLOOOOO
    [Scoured: -1 Str] [Shaken] [Abyssal Backlash]
    Mage Sight: Peripheral
    Beats: 2 Arcane Beats: 0

    First things first; Marlin will call the school and let them know he's on his way. (If he doesn't have a missed call from the school, he will pointedly request they call him first in the future).

    After giving them his best estimate for arrival, he'll start to consider what to tell Daisy. Years of honesty bubble to the surface. All he can imagine is "You'll never believe what happened! There were other sorcerers, and a portal, and a teleporting mansion, and a wizard's duel!" He sighs and shakes his head, but is unable to rid himself of the imaginary conversation.

    I'll have to force it out.

    Casting Alter Mental Pattern (Mind 2)
    2 Reach available: spending for instant casting and advanced duration.

    Potency 3, Duration scene
    Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 = 4 -> 0 successes

    Trying again
    Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 - 1 (successive attempt) = 3 -> 0 successes

    Ugh. I guess magic doesn't want Marlin to lie to his wife, lol. Trying again.
    Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 - 2 (successive attempt) = 2 -> 1 success

    +3 to Subterfuge rolls for the scene.


    Once the spell is in place, he'll call up Daisy to apologize, assure her that everything is all right, and let her know he's on his way. Forgoing any complex story, his general excuse is that he started rearranging some shelves, left his phone in the other room, and "I guess I haven't fully transitioned to the fall schedule yet."

    Manipulation 2 + Subterfuge 1 + 3 (~*magic*~) = 6 -> 4 successes!
    That's probably enough to overcome any contesting roll she would make?
    +1 Beat for "hide magical activities from family." Replacing that Aspiration with "join an Order."


    Conversation over, Daisy irritated but at least satisfied that nothing strange is going on, Marlin hangs up the phone. He cancels the spell. It's not the first time he's lied to his wife; it's not even the first time he's lied about magic. But it hasn't become routine. Yet.

    ---

    Wednesday (+1 WP!)

    Taking a page from Caladriu, I'm going to be scouring for Mana since I'm out and don't have another source of it. -1 Str, +3 Mana


    When Marlin gets to the bookstore, he hangs up a sign that says "Closed for Inventory" and draws the curtains. Satisfied that it will take serious effort to peer inside, he opens a satchel full of ritual components: candles, chalk, incense, and a mirror. Under the flickering candlelight he creates a ritual space focused on the door to the upstairs section of the store.

    He visualizes the door becoming like the mirror, deflecting attention from itself. He visualizes the smoke and scent of the incense shrouding the door, shielding it from scrutiny.

    Casting Secret Door (Space 2)
    1 Reach available: spending for advanced duration
    Yantras: Mirror, incense (sacrament)

    Potency 1, Duration week
    Gnosis 1 + Space 2 + Yantras 2 = 5 -> 1 success


    After three hours of casting, the spell takes hold. Marlin wipes sweat off his face, then for good measure, hangs an "Employees Only" sign on the door.

    The ritual components are relocated upstairs, where he begins to cobble together a proper sanctum.


    At some point that evening, Marlin feels the abyssal taint finish working its way into his pattern. He checks his nimbus under mage sight, examining the taint. Disgusted, he scours it out. (+1 Lethal, +2? Arcane Beats)

    ---

    Thursday, Friday (+2 WP, -1 Lethal, +6 Mana)

    Marlin will make arrangements to change the name of the bookstore as it appears on the door to "Bound Books".

    Apart from that, he'll spend the days resting and attending to whatever customers wander in. Trying to be normal.

    ---

    Saturday will find Binder will the following status:
    Willpower: 4/7 Mana: 9/10 Health: LOOOOOO [Shaken] Beats: 3 Arcane Beats: 2

    Comment


    • Phoenix
      Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
      Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 3/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
      Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None




      Meeting with Tanaka (Wednesday-Thursday)

      Looks like I found a college student who's also a little desperate for a place to stay, that's good. We decided to meet at my place so he could have a good look at the place he was going to stay. He's into music, so I kick off the meeting with that, asking what music he likes, what instruments he plays, that sort of thing.

      Phoenix will try to improve his impression by starting the conversation with Ken's interests.

      Intelligence + Expression 2 = 4 dice → 2 successes

      The reason for 5 dice is that I originally used Presence + Expression, but Intelligence makes much more sense, so 4 dice. Even so, that doesn't change the result. And yes, he would introduce himself as Garrick Royce. The dojo also knows him as Garrick.


      That went well. Looks like this guy is really passionate about music, so that was a smart move. Alright then, now for the hard part: Talking business enough that we're on the same page, but not going so heavily into it that I alienate the guy.



      Well that was awkward. Talked way too much business and sucked the fun right out of the air.

      Shit.

      At least we could arrange another meeting same place tomorrow. Since most of the business talk was settled yesterday, This time, I decide to play to my strengths. I put on some music from one of his favorite genres and giving off a more friendly vibe.

      Phoenix will present a much more friendly demeanor than talk strictly about business like yesterday.

      Presence 3 + Expression 2 = 5 dice → 2 successes


      And we have liftoff from unpaid bills! And I still have time to pursue Anubis afterwards.

      This does occur on the same day as when Phoenix tries to find a lead on Anubis. I don't think that's too much of a stretch considering most of the legwork in the arrangement was already done.


      Finding a Lead (Thursday)

      I return to my former grave. The burn marks are still there, and so is the burst of magic my Awakening generated. But then, I sense some other sort of magic that reeks of Death. I discover the source to be from a fellow mage about to leave. Why does he look familiar? Doesn't matter, I need to see if he knows anything.

      "Hey!" I shout for his attention as I approach, "I'm trying to find someone who's Awake, can you help?"

      For the other Hunter cell, they're good at networking and knowing who's who (and even what, sometimes), but aren't too hot at actually taking out the targets and have no supernatural abilities to discern supernaturals, Because of this, Phoenix didn't see much use for the collaboration because not only did he have an ability to sense magic, but he could also take out the targets, too. He also vocalized his feelings towards the group, which is why he would be coming back to them with his tail between his legs. He made an ass out of himself, and he would be paying for it.

      As for keeping them away, while it's true he doesn't want them finding out that he's a mage with mage friends, they don't have any reliable means of finding out unless he makes it obvious in some way. At least, that's what he believes anyway. Remember, the Aspiration is "Fail to keep the other Hunters away", and they are an information-gathering cell. Phoenix still needs to learn to truly appreciate the importance and power of information.

      Although I do agree we should focus on this other mage before proceeding with that angle.
      Last edited by crapcarp; 10-26-2016, 09:36 AM.

      Comment


      • LYNX
        Active Sight:
        Active Spells: None
        Willpower: 1/5 (4/5 at the end of Downtime). Mana: 6/10
        Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
        Beats: 2 - Arcane Beats: 3


        WEDNESDAY - ZOO

        Well, of course he'll think he's great, pride and all.

        "Thank you for the help," Lynx bows his head to the lion, before he leaves the feline in peace. He mulls over the lion's words as he wanders throughout the zoo, his observations of the spiritual fauna having taken a back seat momentarily...



        WEDNESDAY - FOREST



        Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

        Comment


        • Moonstone
          Ace sounds a little taken aback at your change in tone. Her reply is somewhat more clipped, although she seems a little hurt, too. "Right. Whatever. Talk to me on Saturday if you want to learn more. Bye."

          The call ends shortly after that.


          Ouroboros Ophis
          Dante looks excited for a moment. "A ghost, attending your classes at the university? Oh, how delightful indeed!" When you clarify that she's merely wandering mindlessly, he seems disappointed but smiles at your naïveté. "Ah. I see. Well, actually it's quite a bit more exciting than that, depending on the circumstances. You see, when most people die, they leave this world, passing onto the Underworld -- a realm Beyond. Their souls can find peace, and continue to flourish in the afterlife.

          "Sometimes, though,"
          he explains, "when someone has a strong reason for remaining -- perhaps unfinished business, a strong connection to a living being, or maybe vengeful feelings towards their killer -- they linger in this world as a ghost." He sips from his tea, letting you process his information. "Now, most ghosts appear to be non-sentient reflections of themselves, like this dear Mrs. Parks. But some of them retain their sentience, and have more power and influence over the living world as a result."

          Dante smiles at your eagerness. "Now, that is a fantastic question. We believe that the ghosts are Anchored to this world, creating attachments to meaningful people, places or things upon their death. These Anchors provide sustenance that they need to remain sentient in this world. If they lose their connections, they are pulled into the Underworld. Removing or suspending her Anchors will ease her passing. Alternatively, you can try to lead her to an Avernian Gate, a portal to the Underworld, if you find one here in this world. Why, with the right spell, you can even create a portal directly to the Underworld itself! But alas, that requires Mastery in Death, which both of us lack."

          The mage smiles and asks curiously, "You...do realize that ghosts are quite common, yes? Especially in largely populated areas such as this city. Why, look around you." He casually waves his hand, and you feel a chill pass down your spine as you sense magic on your Periphery. If you look down the sidewalk in any direction, you see a handful of ghosts wandering aimlessly. They range in gender and apparent ages and clothing styles. "As you learn to master Death, you will grow more accustomed to working with them. It is a delightfully interesting focus of mine. Do let me know if you wish to learn more. However, if you were to pursue initiation with the Free Council, I can assure you that you could find additional likeminded colleagues. I could point you in their direction at the Consilium meeting this Saturday, if you are interested."

          ---

          You reconvene with Dante on Friday, this time on a bench in Millennium Park. Although it's a populated area, there is enough ambience noise that no one seems to be able to listen to your quiet conversation. You and Dante do still get a number of odd looks, though.

          The other Moros mage rests his hands in his laps with fingertips of either hand touching each other. "Excellent! Tell me what you have found, and how you would like to proceed."


          Binder
          You reach the school and speak to a cranky secretary, who is sticking around late until you're able to stop by and pick up Forest. Mini-crisis averted.

          You deftly construct an Imago that allows you to sift through your thoughts and pull away any about the truth you would like to discuss. It's an odd sensation, but gives you the temporary mental clarity needed to lie to Daisy effectively. You know that telling her the truth could cause incredible damage to your family, and are able to rationalize the lie without pause. Part of you wonders if you know where that boundary is, though, and whether you'd be able to tell if you ever cross it.

          Daisy sounds annoyed but understanding. She sighs. "Ok, Marlin. Well, try to remember next time. Poor Forest was probably worried. I was worried. I'll be home soon, just need to run some more errands. Love you."

          You actually have that Aspiration as a long-term one, don't you? You're allowed to change it if you want, but you need to have at least one long-term aspiration -- something that would take weeks to months to accomplish, or a complex or multi-step task that won't happen in one scene or chapter. Please adjust your Aspirations accordingly so you have something that fits that criteria

          My recommendation would be to keep the same long-term aspiration, but then you can take a Beat for making significant headway towards it -- you're using magic to keep your family ignorant of your new Awakening, despite missing out on an important role as Forest's dad. But if you want to pick a different long-term Aspiration, you can do that, too.


          ---

          It's strange, really. You're doing another ritual. But this time, it's your first ritual casting since you Awakened. In the past few days, your fledgling control over Supernal magic, real magic, has developed enough that you are able to construct a useful Imago that serves your purpose. The "rituals" you studied and attempted prior to Awakening seem like pitiful attempts at child's play in comparison. This, this is the real stuff. Sure, it's emotionally and physically tiring, but it is so worth it.

          You study your handiwork and nod to yourself. You make a mental note that it would probably be best to have a lie ready to tell customers who used to know about the door why there isn't one there anymore.

          You feel the Abyssal energy seeping into your soul. It's a really nasty, disgusting feeling. You somehow mentally pry at it and pull it out like a poisoned barb, but you feel a spike of pain in your gut and suddenly cough up a little bit of blood. Ouch.

          Yep, you can take 1 Arcane Beat for letting the Paradox condition lapse, as it's been one day since you received the Condition. Then, gain another Arcane Beat for the first time you resolve a spell-related Condition this scene.


          ---

          A few people seem confused on the name change, but no one probes you on why you did so -- it's your shop, after all. Someone comments on the door being gone, and you share your practiced lie that you did some construction recently on that room, which they accept without hesitation.

          At one point, a middle-aged Asian woman, maybe Chinese or Japanese, is browsing through an aisle in front of you when she looks up and frowns, looking at the wall where the door is hidden. You suddenly feel a pulse of energy on your Periphery, and her eyes briefly narrow, and then she makes eye contact with you and smiles knowingly.



          She doesn't say anything or approach you, instead continuing to peruse your selection of occult books. She picks out a slim, leather-bound book and comes up to the register to check out. The woman pays in cash. When she hands you the money, she also slips in a simple business card and says, "Call me." She winks and leaves the shop. When you look at the card, it has a picture of a cherry blossom tree, the name "Falling Blossom", and a phone number.


          Phoenix
          Ken is quickly engaged in your conversation about music. He goes from being this shy, quiet kid to excitedly discussing different types of music he really enjoys. He seems like he hasn't had many opportunities to be genuine about himself like this, and you hit it off well.

          When you start talking logistics and business, though, he shuts down again. He's awkward, and says he might need to think about it some more. However, he's willing to meet up tomorrow if you still haven't found anyone by then.

          When you meet up the next day and try your other angle, you see the eager, friendly side of Ken again. Convinced that you're a cool dude, he agrees to signing on as your roommate.

          Ok, now you can resolve that Aspiration about figuring out your bills, and replace it with a new one of your choice.


          ---

          You call out to the mage, and he freezes in place. He slowly pivots and turns to look at you over his shoulder. His beady eyes look bloodshot, and he's fidgeting nervously while he glances all around. A few other people walk past him, assumedly on their way to other meetings or social gatherings. Still with your Sight fixed upon him, you see him begin to form an Imago using the Death Arcanum, and the spell starts to form around himself.

          I'll rule that you still have your Active Sight on, since I said you used it to notice him in the first place. You can attempt to Counterspell if you like; make a roll if so.


          Lynx
          You're not an expert on all things animal, but you can tell enough from this bird's behavior that it is unnaturally intelligent. Even though you know ravens are surprisingly smart birds for their species, this type of behavior is too controlled and calculated. Combined with your supernatural senses indicating a supernatural effect on your Periphery a moment ago, there appears to be something very unusual about this creature.


          My Games
          Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

          Comment


          • Moonstone
            Conditions: Divergent (Passive), Guilty, Triumphant, Irritable, Informed (Rumors)
            Health:
            LOOOOO | Willpower: 5/8 | Mana: 9/10 | Beats: 1/5 | Arcane Beats: 3/5

            He has just enough time to play the victim and shout some things he'll regret into the phone before Ace drops the call. He just hasn't had a good opportunity to really detonate on someone since Tuesday.

            Venomous and self-righteous: "You, can't understand how I feel. How could you possibly? You didn't have what we had! And you aren't even Awakened- and you never will be."

            Click. Well. That's gonna come back to bite him.

            Good time to resolve Irritable. No other actions until Saturday!


            2E Legacy Updates
            Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
            Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
            Storm Keepers

            Comment


            • Ouroboros Ophis
              Mage Sight:
              Periphereal, Active (Death/Matter) | Active Spells: None
              Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
              Conditions: Informed | Tilts: None | Beats: 1 | Arc. Beats: 0


              FRIDAY

              Last day revelations about the abundance of ghosts still had Marvin a bit shocked, he would have to adapt his worldview acordingly. Thank god for Dante. His unexpectedly cheerful attitude and experience made everything easier to palate. He paused for a moment and shared his findings with him.

              -"Her name is Margaret Parks and she worked as a secretary for the university. She was married to Henry Parks, teacher of statistics. Apparently she left him a widower in the late 1990s due to a medical condition, a stroke, for what I could deduce"

              He takes a long sip of his take away moka and stares into the distance.

              -"She was looking for his husband... I think she is afraid and lost"-he pauses-"Please, help me allow her to move on"

              He says nothing to Dante, but this situation is hitting too close for him. What if Melissa is in the same situation? A pitiful shade of a previously vibrant woman, desperately looking for him? The thought terrifies him.

              -"If you are ready, so am I"-he gets up-"Let's go"

              He guides the Libertine Moros to the classroom where Mrs. Parks is roaming aimlessly.

              -"There she is"-he says after opening his Sight again-"What do you need me to do?"





              I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

              Comment


              • Phoenix
                Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
                Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 3/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None


                Okay, that's kinda creepy. Is he just freaked out, or is it something else?

                Attempting to read the mage's behavior, see if he can glean emotional state and/or motive.

                Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5 dice → 1 success

                On a side note, the new Aspiration with "Join a cabal", taking a leaf from Caladriu.


                Once he starts casting the Death spell, I immediately close my Sight and throw up my hands, saying "Whoa, not here to hurt you. Just wondering if you can help me with something."

                Comment


                • RAGNAR
                  Mage Sight: Peripheral
                  Active Spells: None
                  Conditions/Tilts: None
                  Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                  Beats: 3/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5



                  Friday night, Ragnar is eating dinner when he suddenly recalls something that Patty said to him the day he moved in. She had made an offhand comment about her family being a bunch of kooks, having a history of getting committed committed (long-term or short-term) for seeing things that weren't there. At first he had written it off as Patty being comfortable with discussing an unfortunate family history of mental health to make him feel less awkward about coming out to her. Now that he knows that there are people who can see magic, but not do it- Sleepwalkers- he can't help but wonder if Patty is from a family of Sleepwalkers.

                  He looks up and sees Patty watching TV. He briefly wonders how to ask her this question. "Hey, uh, Patty? You ever had any weird, unexplainable experiences? Seen anything... out of the ordinary?"

                  Ragnar is going to trying to get some information out of Patty as to her family's experiences. Let me know what roll you think might be appropriate.
                  Last edited by Haberdasher; 10-28-2016, 03:30 PM.


                  Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                  Comment


                  • BINDER
                    Willpower: 3/7 Mana: 9/10 Health: LOOOOOO
                    [Scoured: -1 Str] [Shaken]
                    Mage Sight: Peripheral
                    Beats: 3 Arcane Beats: 2

                    Friday

                    Marlin spends his afternoon overthinking Falling Blossom's--if that's her name--request. Should he call up Valentine and get an idea of who she is first? No, maybe he should make a contact apart from the Shields of Dawn. He could scry on her... but that's an invasion of privacy and he probably couldn't accomplish it anyway. What'll he do if Daisy finds out he's calling strange women? Should he get a separate phone for wizarding stuff?

                    It's only the approach of 4:00 that spurs him into action.

                    After I pick up Forest, my next chance is the middle of the night when they're asleep... and somehow I doubt she'd appreciate that.

                    Before he can start "planning" this phone call any more, Binder picks up the phone and dials the number.

                    Comment


                    • Moonstone
                      Part of you feels glad for venting at Ace. She certainly deserved the vitriol...right? You also wonder if she'll hold a grudge for this, and hope that it won't cause issues with getting more information from her down the road.


                      Ouroboros Ophis
                      Dante nods understandingly as you describe her story. "Yes, let us go see her. I would be glad to assist in any way that I can, and I certainly enjoy the opportunity to guide our newer mages on their path to enlightenment."

                      As you walk to the class, he asks, "Have you put more thought into which of the Pentacle Orders you find most in line with your goals? Personally, although obviously biased, I do think the Free Council would be an excellent home for you. Our mages believe that Supernal understanding can be found from modern studies. We encourage innovation, and use democratic principles to guide our Order. We want everyone to feel part of a greater whole, to have a voice and a vote, in service of advancing our understanding of Truth." Dante's voice is filled with passion and enthusiasm as he speaks.

                      Dante again offers to cast the spell that reveals ghosts in Twilight and grants you the ability to see and interact with them. It doesn't take long for the two of you to find Mrs. Parks, who is again walking slowly around the classroom and adjacent hallways. "What you do next and how we can assist her depends on your preferred methods," he instructs. "There are more passive and gentle approaches, and some that are more...direct...in exorcising a ghost. As I said before, she receives sustenance -- Essence, we call it -- from places, people, or objects that held meaning to her in life and Anchor her in the afterlife. Removing those, whether by destroying them or lessening her connection to them, will eventually lead her to lose all sustenance and move Beyond.

                      "The other approach involves draining her of her Essence, and damaging her bodily form. It is a brute-force method, usually preferred when direct action must be taken quickly against a hostile ghost or entity."


                      Dante casts Speak with the Dead (Death 1) on the two of you, using the +1 reach option to allow you tell if Anchors are permanent or temporary. If you concentrate on Mrs. Parks, you learn that she only has 1 Anchor, which is linked to this academic building, where she previously worked as a secretary and where her husband taught statistics. It is permanent, meaning that she wasn't summoned here by any ritual.

                      How you proceed depends on Ophis' style and preferences. You can either attempt an Intelligence + Investigation extended action to resolve the Anchor by finding and removing her personal ties to this building (5 successes required, 1 roll per hour); use the "Buried Anchor" spell I created on the Creative Thaumaturgy thread; or suggest some other course of action.


                      Ragnar
                      "Hmm?" Patty asks, still watching the TV. She breaks her attention away and turns the volume down as she actually processes your request. "Oh, umm..." Patty looks hesitant, but shrugs nonchalantly. "I mean, I think a lot of people have seen things like that in their lifetime. Some people call it strange, but I think there are definitely things out there that science can't explain."

                      You have the sense that she has more to say on this subject.

                      You can roll Manipulation + Persuasion to try and get some more information right now. If you want to get her to open up more about her experiences as a Sleepwalker in general, or have other goals here you'd like to describe, you can attempt Social Maneuvering. She currently has a Good impression with you, so you can make 1 roll/day. She has 3 Doors for this type of goal, because she's trying to be more private about that part of her life.


                      Binder
                      The phone rings three times, and then a woman answers; her voice matches the woman you met at your store. After you introduce yourself, she replies, "Ah, I'm glad you called. I've been coming to your bookstore for some time now, and when I saw your spell, I knew that you would be someone who might appreciate the information I can offer."

                      The woman formally identifies herself as Falling Blossom. She says that she is a mage and member of the Mysterium, and that she has been recruiting mages who have interests in the pursuit of knowledge. "The Mysterium is devoted to all knowledge, in all forms," she explains. "We are the curators, the historians, the discoverers and safe keepers of Supernal magic. We devote our cause to finding, teaching, and preserving ancient wisdom."

                      Falling Blossom tells you earnestly that she genuinely believes, based on what she has seen in your store and your interests in research, that you would find yourself readily accepted and at home with the Mysterium. She asks if you would like to meet after the Consilium meeting tomorrow, so she can tell you more about the Order and its goals.

                      Let me know if you would go by Binder when you introduce yourself, or Marlin. However, she may still know your sympathetic name, as she has been here before your Awakening.


                      My Games
                      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                      Comment


                      • LYNX
                        Active Sight:
                        Active Spells: None
                        Willpower: 1/5 (4/5 at the end of Downtime). Mana: 6/10
                        Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
                        Beats: 2 - Arcane Beats: 4

                        WEDNESDAY - FOREST

                        "Hey there," Lynx calls, waving his greetings to the bird. "How are you?"

                        As Lynx smiles up at the creature, he opens his senses to the Wild to give it a thorough look...

                        Action: Lynx activates Life and Spirit Senses to observe the bird.

                        Should I do a Revelation roll?


                        Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

                        Comment


                        • RAGNAR
                          Mage Sight: Peripheral
                          Active Spells: Exceptional Luck (cast and ending this turn)
                          Conditions/Tilts: Inspired (added this turn)
                          Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                          Beats: 3/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5



                          Ragnar brings his plate from the table and sits down next to her. He smiles at Patty. And silently, he reaches out to Fate to try and rig the dice in his favor once again.

                          Ragnar will attempt to cast his Exceptional Luck Praxis on himself. He has one free Reach, which he spends on Instantaneous Casting. He will be casting to grant himself a boon of a number of dice equal to Potency (+2) for an upcoming Socialize roll that Ragnar will attempt for some Social Maneuvering.

                          1 Gnosis + 2 Fate = 3 dice -> 1 success.


                          His smile becomes a little friendlier as he feels the spell take affect on himself. He settles in and chuckles. "Oh, come on. Haven't you ever had weird stuff happen to you?" Fate dredges up a memory of himself casting magic, and he decides to use it as an in. Not tell her everything, of course. But some sliver of the truth. "Ok, I'll go first. I'm, like, freakishly lucky. Like the dice are rigged in my favor. Things just seem to go my way, you know? Like, the least-likely scenario always happens for me." He looks expectantly at her, silently urging her to share.

                          Ragnar will attempt Social Maneuvering on Patty to get her to reveal more about her family history. He'll attempt a Socialize roll.

                          Manipulation 3 + Socialize 1 + Boon 2 = 6 dice -> 5 successes! That'll be an exceptional success, and two doors down. I'll also take the Inspired Condition.
                          Last edited by Haberdasher; 10-28-2016, 03:51 PM.


                          Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                          Comment


                          • Lynx
                            You open yourself to the increasingly familiar senses of your Sight, letting the mundane world fade around you as you study the woods and this creature through the lens of the Primal Wild. To your surprise, there is a Life spell infused in and around this raven, suffusing it with an overwhelming sense of power.

                            You're welcome to attempt a Revelation roll. However, you'll need to spend 1 WP to activate Focused Sight, and you only have time for 1 roll before the following occurs. Opacity is 4. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's worth attempting.


                            The raven flaps its wings and glides down to the ground. As it does, its form...changes. Within moments, it enlarges, growing into the form of a lithe woman who stands shorter than you but somehow appears to be staring down her nose at you. She has high cheekbones, and her eyes are fixed intently on you, keeping the same intense stare as she had moments ago in bird form. She appears to be clothed in black feathers. Her hair is black as midnight and falls in wavy patterns down past her waist.



                            The woman's aura flares around her, which you clearly perceive as her Nimbus. You immediately smell an odor that evokes an image of a wolf marking its territory. You hear a phantom wind blowing through the trees, but the trees are deathly still. It causes a powerful emotional reaction in you, a mixed rush of euphoria and fear.

                            "Who are you?" she demands. "Why have you come here?"

                            She flares her Nimbus, but didn't accrue enough successes to affect you. So, you don't mechanically experience anything; it's just for RP flavor. This means Lynx will feel the effect, but won't affect him on any rolls he attempts on his turn, should he attempt some for any reason.


                            Ragnar
                            You feel the dice roll in your mind and come up in your favor. You know that this thought that randomly pops into your mind isn't just convenient; it's auspicious. When you tell your example to Patty, a look of recognition and thought passes over her face. "Wow," she replies simply. Her body language seems to ease. She's still holding back, but she seems thoughtful, and smiles at you knowingly. "I feel like I've spent a lot of time around people in my life who have experienced that kind of thing," she admits. "I don't always talk about it because, you know, people can think it's weird. Or that I'm weird. But I've always believed in odd things. Supernatural things."

                            What new Aspiration do you want to take in place of the one for investigating supernatural occurrences in your apartment?
                            Last edited by rwknoll; 10-28-2016, 04:49 PM. Reason: Formatting


                            My Games
                            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                            Comment


                            • RAGNAR
                              Mage Sight: Peripheral
                              Active Spells: None
                              Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
                              Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 2/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                              Beats: 3/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5

                              Ragnar nods. "I don't think it's weird. Sometimes things just work out differently for some people. Not everybody has the same experiences. But if you could share those experiences with you, would you?"

                              I'm not trying to make any sort of roll. Just some roleplaying stuff. The Silver Ladder definitely appeals to him, and part of him really likes the idea of helping people to Awaken, or at least turn Sleepers into Sleepwalkers, so that even if they can't do magic, they can see it and appreciate it for what it is. I'll take "Find out if Patty is a Sleepwalker" as a short-term Aspiration.



                              Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                              Comment


                              • Ragnar
                                If Patty has any indication that she knows you're a mage, she doesn't give anything away or make any other connections. "I mean, I think everyone wants to be something special or be able to do really cool things. I believe in ghosts and the supernatural, that sort of thing. I suppose it would be neat to have cool abilities or something, yeah. I certainly wish I was lucky like you, I know that," she giggles.

                                Patty shifts the conversation towards how she wishes she had superpowers, tells some creepy ghost stories she has heard about ("but I never saw something like that"), and asks you about what kind of Jedi you would be if The Force existed.

                                She has 1 Door remaining. Aspiration sounds good!


                                My Games
                                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X