Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RAGNAR
    Mage Sight: Peripheral
    Active Spells: None
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
    Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

    "Hah! Yeah, everyone here is either a Sleepwalker or mage. No need for secrecy, at least about that."

    "Sorry. I'm a little paranoid about that. Feels good to be able to talk openly about it, instead of whispering and talking in code."It shouldn't have to be that way.

    He nods to Dr. Bates- no, Ouroboros Ophis. The snake eating his own tail. Cycles and renewal. A curious name for a Moros. "I'm sure we'll be able to work something out, sir."

    "Do you have any questions?"

    "Yeah, about what happened Tuesday. I'm guessing the Consilium's going to want a full report on that? Or did you," he gestures vaguely to the Shields of Dawn, "fill anybody in on that? And how much do we need to tell them?" He looks at Moonstone with some concern. "I trust Moonstone when he said that he didn't mean to summon... you know... but is everybody else going to be as understanding? I mean," he lowers his voice, "a gulmoth's no laughing matter. And the Consilium has suffered enough losses as it is with the Death Storm. Is everybody going to accept Moonstone's explanation? I don't want his branded," here he mouths the next word, the one Mathias briefly mentioned in his explanation of the Abyss, "Scelestus... for an accident."

    He perks up at Phoenix's arrival. "Phoenix. Good to see you." He lowers his voice a little. "Hey, would you mind hanging back for a minute or so after the meeting? There's... something I want your help with."


    Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

    Comment


    • Moonstone
      Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
      Conditions: Divergent (Passive), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors), [-1 Strength until evening]
      Health:
      OOOOOO | Willpower: 6/8 | Mana: 9/10 | Beats: 2/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5

      In response to Ophis' question: "Phoenix is an Obrimos we've become entangled with. Young, headstrong, skilled warrior- no idea where he learned, though."

      Apparently everyone is already acquainted. He leans over to Binder and stage-whispers: "Do you know him too? Is it just me who doesn't?"

      He waves at Rose of Sharon, but talking to her and the others can wait for later. He can't bear to look at Ace, just seeing her makes his ears burn and brings his guilt to the surface. He's quiet and distracted until Ragnar mentions him in hushed tones. Ugly memories of standing guard while parents, teachers, employers, and mages whispered about his failures in the next room.

      "Don't talk about me like I'm not here," he snaps. But he's more together this morning, and he flushes with embarrassment a second later. "Sorry- I'm sorry, you're right. It's my fault. I'm the one to blame."

      "I really tried to center myself this week, but...I can't stop thinking about letting that thing into the world. How the light popped around it, how it almost killed Phoenix and Ragnar, how I reached into its mind and saw it thinking about me..."


      His fingers are curled in his hair. He blurts out: "I've been dreaming about it. It's like we're connected- I miss it."

      What? That doesn't sound right. He looks as surprised as anyone that it tumbled out, staring at his fingers like they're bloody. "Er- no, I don't! That's unwanted thoughts, that's not me. No. God, no! Ugh. Vile."

      Deep breath. "Listen. The Consilium will have a lot on their minds after the Deathstorm. They don't need the play-by-play of every Mystery their constituents encounter, including what happened Tuesday. But we should inform them that the thing is still in the Fallen World, for the safety of everyone. I performed a Divination along our...um, connection, and learned when it will manifest again: the evening of Saturday the 17th. When that gets closer, I can divine even more precise information about when and where to stop it before it hurts anyone else. I'm learning new things about the Arcana all the time: I can make this work, trust me!"

      He raises a finger: "Caveat conjector- 'let the diviner beware.' Divinations can become less accurate when more people know about them and can change the future. It may be wiser to keep the specifics to ourselves until the matter is resolved. But I am willing to take responsibility before the Consilium when I introduce myself. You shouldn't be punished for my actions, even if we do form a cabal."

      He turns to Ophis, fretting. "I"m sorry. This must be making a terrible first impression. I'm sure we're all glad to work with you, but we do have a sword or two hanging over our heads."

      Oh- Phoenix has been standing right there. He catches himself and switches back to polite-but-distant mode. "Good morning."
      Last edited by Caladriu; 11-03-2016, 05:55 PM.


      2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

      Comment


      • Ouroboros Ophis
        Mage Sight:
        Periphereal | Active Spells: None
        Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
        Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats: 4 | Arc. Beats: 1


        Ouroboros nods and smiles back at Dante. He listens to the explanations of this... Moonstone, was him? and gets concerned as they devolve into an incoherent rant. Something happend to this young mages, something bad. He makes a mental note to go on about it later.

        "Phoenix. Good to see you."-Ragnar's greeting to the newly arriving mage snaps him out of his thoughts, he turns around to introduce himself and gets taken by surprise when he sees his old aqcuaintance.

        -"Ga..garrick?"-he blurts out before realizing what a faux pass that means in this context-"Phoenix"-he corrects himself-"Phoenix, nice name. I go by Ouroboros Ophis here. I am so glad to see you here son, it has been a while. You look good"-he is incredibly happy to see him and it shows.


        I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

        Comment


        • RAGNAR
          Mage Sight: Peripheral
          Active Spells: None
          Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
          Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
          Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
          Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

          "Oh I'm sorry, let me scream it to the entire Consilium," Ragnar hisses at Moonstone. Then he sighs. "Look. I'm just concerned about you, is all. When we explain what happened Tuesday, I won't mention any connection between you and the gulmoth. I'll legalese my way out of it. I have some plausible deniability. As far as I know, some mage on the other side of that Iris you and Phoenix came out of summoned it to attack you. If you want to confess, fine. But I'm not going to incriminate you. In all likelihood, we're going to be cabal-mates, and I don't want that any consequences against on you my head."

          Moonstone's mention of Alux's return forms a knot of excitement in his stomach. This is his domain: an unavoidable confrontation, the pieces set on the board and the only thing to be done is to try and tip the scales to one side or another. This is wyrd, Fate. "Ragnarök approaches." He smiles. And planning may as well start now. "Moonstone, keep tabs on it. I was thinking about taking a peek at him, but I'll leave this to you. When the day gets closer, we'll be ready. Maybe you and Lynx can try something and try to work out its banes. Then when September 17 rolls around, we get a few Arrows to sit around where it's going to show up, and then they pop it. Problem solved." He smiles at everyone. "Great plan or what?"

          He notes Ouroboros Ophis' slip of Phoenix's Sympathetic name with some curiosity. Garrick. Interesting. He regards the Theurge with interest. He's obviously had training, like Moonstone said. But where? And for what purpose? And perhaps more importantly, by whom?


          Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

          Comment


          • LYNX
            Active Sight:
            Active Spells: None
            Willpower: 1/5 (4/5 at the end of Downtime). Mana: 6/10
            Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
            Beats: 3 - Arcane Beats: 4

            When Ragnar hugs him, he returns it affectionately. He listens in on the conversation - saying little, nodding at Moonstone as the man acknowledges his words - when he perks up and notices Raven entering the Cathedral.

            She came! But...

            Lynx looks at her table for a minute, surveying them curiously, quietly,cautiously. The group's conversation grows dimmer to him, going in one ear and out the other. After his moment of mental absence, he rubs his beard and steps over to Boomer, giving her a soft nudge.

            "Boomer, the people on the table over there," he points to Raven and her table. "What do you know about them? Are they the good kind of magic, or...?"


            Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

            Comment


            • Moonstone

              He can't resist being catty to Ragnar about Divination. "I'm the only one of us who could do it, anyway. You said you're an Initiate of Space? You lack the puissance with the Arcanum to read someone else's future if they aren't present. Here's another riddle for you: what's the difference between asking 'when will I next encounter my enemy' and 'when will my enemy be most vulnerable?' Meditate on this and learn Wisdom, and something of the Art as well."

              Moonstone preens.


              2E Legacy Updates
              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
              Storm Keepers

              Comment


              • Phoenix
                Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
                Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 2/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None

                "Hey man, glad you could make it."

                "Glad I could, too. In hindsight, I didn't get very clear directions," I greet as I shoot off a slightly-annoyed glance at Valentine. I respond to all the other greetings with my own, except for one of them. Is that, Pops? He Awakened, too? And came to Chicago? I never took the phrase "it's a small world" all that seriously, but this inclines me to believe it.

                "Ga..garrick?" Dr. Bates blurts out, guess he's just as surprised to see me, "Phoenix. Phoenix, nice name. I go by Ouroboros Ophis here. I am so glad to see you here son, it has been a while. You look good"

                I didn't even notice I was gaping until I began to respond. "Uh, yeah. Nice to see you again, Pops. Ouroburos Ophis, snake eating it's own tail, eh? You an alchemist now or something?" I joke to break the ice, as well as get me out of my little stupor. After a bit of chit-chat, Ragnar comes up to me in a hushed tone.

                "Hey, would you mind hanging back for a minute or so after the meeting? There's... something I want your help with."

                "So long as it doesn't take very long. Got my own business and all," I answer.

                Sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but Phoenix is carrying his staff with him.

                Comment


                • RAGNAR
                  Mage Sight: Peripheral
                  Active Spells: None
                  Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
                  Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                  Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
                  Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

                  "I'm the only one of us who could do it, anyway. You said you're an Initiate of Space? You lack the puissance with the Arcanum to read someone else's future if they aren't present."

                  "Well then. Perhaps you could give me a lesson? Cast a Space spell on me and have me work through it, perhaps? You've already proven that your skill with Space is undeniable." Ragnar hopes that the combination of flattery and the offer of a free swipe will be enough to ameliorate Moonstone.

                  "So long as it doesn't take very long. Got my own business and all."

                  "No, it should only take a minute. We just need to walk over to the cathedral. I need an Obrimos' opinion on something."



                  Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                  Comment


                  • Everyone
                    "Yeah, about what happened Tuesday. I'm guessing the Consilium's going to want a full report on that? Or did you," he gestures vaguely to the Shields of Dawn, "fill anybody in on that? And how much do we need to tell them?"

                    "Listen. The Consilium will have a lot on their minds after the Deathstorm. They don't need the play-by-play of every Mystery their constituents encounter, including what happened Tuesday. But we should inform them that the thing is still in the Fallen World, for the safety of everyone." ... "But I am willing to take responsibility before the Consilium when I introduce myself. You shouldn't be punished for my actions, even if we do form a cabal."

                    Mathias crosses his arms over his chest, and his face darkens at the mention of the Gulmoth. However, Valentine is the first to comment on this topic. "The Council was already made aware of the incident," he replies in clipped tones. His eyes are focused on Moonstone. "I am one of two Sentinels serving this Consilium, and a Guardian. Did you think no one else would know?"

                    The Shields of Dawn haven't explained much about the Council or Consilium structure, beyond the role of the Hierarch and Councilors. For the benefit of the other mages present who have not heard of his title, Valentine briefly explains that a Sentinel is a mage appointed by the Hierarch or the Council to patrol the Consilium's sancta and enforce its rulings and mandates. "I notified the Council on Tuesday. For now, only we here and the members of this Council are aware of the Gulmoth. As a result of his actions, Moonstone," he looks again at the Nameless who summoned Alux, "has been tasked with destroying the Gulmoth. Obviously, he should not do this alone. But as of yet, the Council is viewing this incident as a critical lesson on the dangers of Paradox, rather than a willful disobedience of Consilium law."


                    "I don't want his branded Scelestus... for an accident."

                    Mathias quickly interjects with a serious tone. "Do not use that word lightly, Ragnar, under any circumstances." He pauses, and his tone softens as he sighs. "Moonstone made a mistake. A serious one, but not unforgivable. This is why I cannot stress enough that it is important you all receive training and mentorship. The Pentacle Orders, and the Lex Magica, exist for this purpose -- to protect against serious threats to the integrity of our society."


                    "Moonstone, keep tabs on it. I was thinking about taking a peek at him, but I'll leave this to you. When the day gets closer, we'll be ready. Maybe you and Lynx can try something and try to work out its banes. Then when September 17 rolls around, we get a few Arrows to sit around where it's going to show up, and then they pop it. Problem solved. Great plan or what?"

                    Boomer grins. "I like your enthusiasm, kid. But your group showed that you can beat it when you work together. I'm confident you can do it again. The hardest part is that you really could use someone with strength in Spirit. Gulmoths are kind of like tainted spirits, and respond to spells to control them that way. But without our shaman, Orca..." She trails off and frowns.


                    "I'm the only one of us who could do it, anyway. You said you're an Initiate of Space? You lack the puissance with the Arcanum to read someone else's future if they aren't present. Here's another riddle for you: what's the difference between asking 'when will I next encounter my enemy' and 'when will my enemy be most vulnerable?' Meditate on this and learn Wisdom, and something of the Art as well."

                    Valentine smiles knowingly, but doesn't comment. Mathias jaw clenches and he replies chidingly, "I'm glad to see that you are meditating on gaining Wisdom."


                    "Boomer, the people on the table over there. What do you know about them? Are they the good kind of magic, or...?"

                    Boomer looks over to where you are pointing and chuckles. "Oh, them? Raven is a shaman...definitely an odd ball, if you ask me, but she's gifted with Life and Spirit magic. Falling Blossom is a Mastigos Mystagogue, but I don't know much about her. She seems cordial. Mathias could tell you more about Vincent and Shepherd, they're théarchs -- good upstanding people. And Pulse is an Arrow like me. Great fighter, wicked good with firearms." She smiles. "They're a cabal known as the Servants of Gaea. They formed their group around the Legacies of the Elemental Masteries. There are five standard Legacies, one for each Path." She pauses and adds, "Uh...I guess we haven't talked to you about Legacies yet. It's a long story, one we don't have time for. Briefly, it's an advanced way of shaping how you experience and express your magic. It's a very personal decision."


                    My Games
                    Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                    Comment


                    • Moonstone
                      Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
                      Conditions: Divergent (Passive), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors), [-1 Strength until evening]
                      Health:
                      OOOOOO | Willpower: 6/8 | Mana: 9/10 | Beats: 2/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5

                      "I am one of two Sentinels serving this Consilium, and a Guardian. Did you think no one else would know?"

                      He flattens. Honestly, until this morning he'd been thinking of it as something that happened to him more than the other Nameless, much less the Consilium at large. Caught out by his own Naive nature. "...kind of?"

                      That gnawing Guilt will have to be resolved in a less dramatic and more authentic way, apparently. It sounds like the whole matter has already been negotiated in his absence. The Guardians really do have eyes everywhere, don't they?

                      "Well then. Perhaps you could give me a lesson? Cast a Space spell on me and have me work through it, perhaps? You've already proven that your skill with Space is undeniable."

                      Moonstone's immense vanity is soothed. He clasps his hands, excited to be in the teaching role for once. "Perhaps I could! I've seen how Mastigos challenge their students before. It's a date. We'll discuss it after the Consilium."

                      "I'm glad to see that you are meditating on gaining Wisdom."

                      He smiles sweetly, playing flattered. "Thank you, Mathias! Wouldn't that be a nice line for your book report today?"

                      Triumphant: Gain a Beat any time you throw your success in someone’s face, even if it risks making him angry or resentful.

                      Does this count?



                      2E Legacy Updates
                      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                      Storm Keepers

                      Comment


                      • LYNX
                        Active Sight:
                        Active Spells: None
                        Willpower: 1/5 (4/5 at the end of Downtime). Mana: 6/10
                        Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
                        Beats: 3 - Arcane Beats: 4


                        "I'll get stronger with Spirit," Lynx says absently as he studies Raven's entourage. "Definitely. Especially if it means protecting..."

                        His voice trails off in hesitation, his thoughts going elsewhere.

                        Raven, Falling Blossom, Vincent and Shepherd, the Servants of Gaea...

                        "You said there are five Elemental Masteries? What..." He starts, but his voice is drowned by:

                        "I'm glad to see that you are meditating on gaining Wisdom."

                        "Thank you, Mathias! Wouldn't that be a nice line for your book report today?"

                        Lynx sighs, the exchange raising his hackles. He turns to both of them with an unamused look.

                        "Could you two not do that right now?" Lynx says through gritted teeth. "Faen da, why are you two even talking to one another? Neither of you are coming off as remotely likeable."

                        Lynx crosses his arms as he turns back to look at Raven's table, with a few steps away from the group and Mathias and Moonstone's feud - and he lowers his head in shame shortly after.

                        Yes, that'll improve the mood. Fucking genius I am.
                        Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM.


                        Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Dalgren

                        Comment


                        • RAGNAR
                          Mage Sight: Peripheral
                          Active Spells: None
                          Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
                          Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                          Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
                          Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

                          "Do not use that word lightly, Ragnar, under any circumstances."

                          Ragnar hangs his head a little."Sorry, Mathias. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I was just concerned about how the Consilium would react to Moonstone's mistake. But since you already told the Hierarch and the Counselors, Valentine, that's not really an issue now."

                          Moonstone and Mathias' sniping irritates Ragnar, but apparently not as much as it irritates Lynx. When he moves away from the rest of the group, Ragnar gives the others an apologetic look and walks over to Lynx. He puts a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. "Hey," he whispers. "It's okay. I know it's not exactly fun watching them bicker, but I think Tuesday is as bad as they're ever going to get. They're never going to really like each other, but sniping at each other's not so bad in comparison to a Duel Arcane every time they meet."


                          Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                          Comment


                          • Moonstone and Lynx
                            Mathias' calm face rapidly turns into a scowl. Moonstone's statement clearly got under his skin. He opens his mouth to retort, but Valentine merely places a hand on his shoulder and Boomer shakes her head, and Mathias is able to restrain himself. Lynx's comment and clear agitation also helps Mathias to see that he is allowing himself to be manipulated by his emotions again.

                            When he finally replies, Mathias says coldly, "Take your seats. The Council is coming."

                            Moonstone: You can take an extra Beat for speaking out in a way to intentionally goad your rival. As a consequence, your impression with Mathias dips further, which will add time and/or Doors to any future Social Maneuvering you might attempt with him.


                            Everyone
                            When you look around the room to find your seats, you realize just how many people there are gathered here. Most of the seats are filled by now, which means there are easily several hundred mages here, more than you could have possibly expected to see. To Moonstone, a quick head count will indicate that there are easily at least twice as many mages present here than at the next largest Consilium meeting he has attended. Clearly, few mages would want to miss the opportunity to hear the new Hierarch's comments on recent events.

                            Over the din filling this room, you begin to hear footsteps approaching.

                            There is a clatter as all mages present stand up and offer some sign of respect: some bow their heads, others kneel, and a select few even prostrate themselves on the ground, drawing smirks or nods of approval from various other mages nearby. Despite the number of mages present, a silence falls over the room. Boomer places a fist over her heart and mutters jokingly, "Look pretty."

                            The footsteps grow louder, and you all see a mixed group of three women and then three men appear. Your eyes are immediately drawn to the woman walking calmly to the center of the raised platform. Mathias has briefly explained who Cielo is, but hearing about her and seeing her in person are two very different things. The Hierarch is wearing a simple but elegant red dress that stops just below her knees, contrasted by red athletic shoes and dark hair that falls freely around her shoulders. She has high cheekbones and fierce eyes.



                            As Cielo moves to the center of the stage, the five Councilors take their place beside her. The other two Latina women, assumedly Estrella and Luna, stand on one side of Cielo and flash bright smiles at the room. They each wear a fashionable skirt or dress bearing their respective celestial symbols.



                            The three men, whom most of you do not recognize, are each wearing a crisp, custom-tailored, three-piece suit. At seeing one of them, Mathias startles and Boomer whistles quietly in surprise. Murmurs spread around the room. Moonstone recognizes the face, but each of you hear a name whispered around the room: Atlas.



                            Cielo stands in a casual stance at the center of the stage and places one first on her hip. She raises her other hand in acknowledgement of the room's signs of respect, and everyone moves to sit as she lowers her hand. "Please, be seated."

                            You may each make a roll to see what you can glean from the room, either Wits + Empathy or Intelligence + Politics.

                            I wanted to get this post up but don't have time to write more at the moment. I'll add more when I have time, sorry.


                            My Games
                            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                            Comment




                            • These are Apollo and Poseidon, respectively, who will be introduced further shortly. Couldn't include more than 4 images in a single post.


                              My Games
                              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                              Comment


                              • Moonstone
                                Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
                                Conditions: Divergent (Passive), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors), [-1 Strength until evening]
                                Health:
                                OOOOOO | Willpower: 6/8 | Mana: 9/10 | Beats: 3/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5

                                "Faen da, why are you two even talking to one another? Neither of you are coming off as remotely likeable."

                                Moonstone crosses his arms and huffs, nose upturned. "I'll be completely satisfied when he fulfills his oath today. I don't hold grudges."

                                He's just waiting for the meeting proper to start, before any more sugary venom is exchanged. He knew this was going to be a bad day. And what does "faen da" mean, anyway?

                                ---

                                Finally they take their seats for the show itself. It's weird to be here as an Awakened one, not just a hanger-on to someone else's party. And from the size of the crowd, it's an auspicious day for a first impression.

                                When the room clatters, Moonstone immediately kneels and lowers his head in obeisance. The others have the excuse of being new, but he'll show his reverence for the Hierarch, whomever holds the seat.

                                Intelligence 1 + Politics 3 (Chicago Consilium): 2 successes
                                Last edited by Caladriu; 11-05-2016, 01:38 AM.


                                2E Legacy Updates
                                Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                                Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                                Storm Keepers

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X