Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RAGNAR
    Mage Sight: Peripheral
    Active Spells: None
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
    Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

    Ragnar follows Mathias to a seat and sits next to him. As Cielo and the Councilors enter the room, he stands and bows his head, and then takes a seat when Cielo indicates. He gives her and her Councilors a look-over. Cielo, Estrella, and Luna are all beautiful, confident, and dangerous-looking. Estrella seems like the social one of the group. Luna has a calculating look, like a lioness watching a gazelle.

    He watches the devastatingly handsome Atlas with curiosity. Apparently, his presence is unexpected. Obviously, it's a major shift in the political landscape of the Consilium. Has he replaced a Councilor who died in the Death Storm? Or this some sort of unanticipated political alliance?

    [Ragnar attempts to parse out the significance of Atlas' presence, and the reaction to it. Intelligence 4 + Politics 1 = 5 dice -> 2 successes.[/spoiler]

    Apollo doesn't give him any strong impression. Perhaps because he's overshadowed by Poseidon: the contrast of his immaculate blue suit with his wild beard and the tattoos creeping down his hands and up his neck is striking. Thyrsus?


    Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

    Comment


    • LYNX
      Active Sight:
      Active Spells: None
      Willpower: 3/5. Mana: 6/10
      Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
      Beats: 3 - Arcane Beats: 4

      "No, it isn't fun," Lynx agrees quietly. "I should probably just leave any conversation where both of them are present. I can't keep from getting angry myself."

      "Take your seats. The Council is coming." Lynx glances at the Mathias, frowning at the chill in his voice.

      Definitely can't rely on him.

      His distaste disappears quickly however, as he catches the sound of footsteps. He finds a seat but remains standing, though he offers no real sign of respect but for stretching his shoulders.

      So that's Cielo... Powerful. Beautiful. Wow...

      All of them strong... And I'm so small...


      When the room's asked to be seated, he does so. As the meeting is about to start, he looks around the room and immerses himself in his senses. He sniffs and tastes the air, his ears drawing in every murmur, the heavy breathing in search of heartbeats, the effort put into maintaining countenance and composure...



      Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

      Comment


      • Ouroboros Ophis
        Mage Sight:
        Periphereal | Active Spells: None
        Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
        Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats: 4 | Arc. Beats: 1

        Ouroboros is not particularly amused at the bickering between Moonstone and Matthias. He finds that petty and disrespetful tone regarding not just a fellow mage, but most probably a better and more experience one, disconcerting to say the least. He must take a long look at this young one when he has the opportunity.

        Linx and Ragnar's reaction, reinforce his first impression. Moonstone means problems, and yet... Some part of him feels a certain affinity with him, like if they shared something important in common. There's some great saddness buried below all that pettyness.

        As the Hierarch and Councilors enter the room, he gently bows his head in acknowledgement. The murmurs and surprise that filled the room at the appearance of Atlas intrigue him.

        Read te Room: Intelligence + Politics = 6 dice = 0 Successes let's make it a Dramatic Failure for a Beat






        I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

        Comment


        • Phoenix
          Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 2/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
          Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None

          So Moonstone's making a complete ass of himself, Mathias makes a slightly less ass of himself, Ragnar's arguing with Moonstone, and Lynx took the words right outta my mouth. Well, most of 'em, that is. Yeah, ain't nobody got time for that. Besides, I've got some catching up to do.

          "So Pops, what's brings you to Chicago?" I start off.

          -----

          "Take your seats. The Council is coming."

          The meeting starts, and not a moment too soon! I bow in respect to the Council as everyone else does. When in Rome, after all. Speaking of which, considering the formal attire everyone's wearing (well, almost everyone's), looks like mages value fine clothes as much as Sleepers do. Now to see how they'll react to a complete lack of that when I come to make my introduction. Probably be very interesting. In the mean time, let's see what I can learn here.

          Using Wits + Empathy to glean information.

          Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5 dice → 1 success

          Comment


          • Ouroboros Ophis
            Mage Sight:
            Periphereal | Active Spells: None
            Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
            Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats: 5 | Arc. Beats: 1

            "So Pops, what's brings you to Chicago?"-Phoenix seems as surprised as him of finding each other in this situation-"Well... after I awakened I felt the need for a change of scenery, so I and Mel decided to came here, to Chicago. It went well at first. We settled, I found people that helped me make sense of all the unbeliebeable things I had experienced... It was just what I was looking for. Then the Deathstorm came... and took my wife with it"-He falls silent, not really expecting any reaction from the young man, just stating facts.


            I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

            Comment


            • Moonstone
              You have seen these faces before and, as an Arrow Sleepwalker retainer, had to quickly learn how to navigate the political climate of the Consilium. You are surprised to see Atlas' face among the Councilors for two reasons.

              First, until last week, he had been serving as Hierarch of this Consilium, a role usually filled by the same individual until their death except in unusual circumstances. The news you've heard has all been focused on how Cielo assumed the role of Hierarch; you didn't actually know what had happened to Atlas. Clearly, few mages in attendance of this meeting knew about this switch, either.

              Secondly, as far as you knew, the Obrimos Councilor position was already filled before Cielo became Hierarch by a female mage known as Prism. So what become of her?


              Ragnar
              Although you have never seen these individuals gathered here before, let alone any mages in this large of a gathering, you guess that certain social aspects of government likely apply to this group as well. You try to mentally sift through the information presented before you like a puzzle.

              You can tell from the hushed whispers spreading rapidly around the room that Atlas' position on this Council is surprising. You remember from Mathias' instruction on Tuesday that Cielo used political leverage to convince Atlas to step down from his position as Hierarch; you deduce that the crowd is primarily surprised to see that he hasn't stepped down very far in power. It raises questions for you about who the Councilor was in that position before, and how Atlas' relationships might be with the others on the stage.

              Estrella and Luna certainly share an obvious physical appearance with Cielo, but more than that, they are sitting near each other and watching her with approval. Similarly, Atlas is wearing very similar attire as the other two men, and they are also sitting with their chairs somewhat closer to each other. You wonder if Atlas and the two men are part of a similar faction or maybe even cabal, just as Cielo and the other two women might be.


              Lynx
              You can see that the male and female Councilors on the stage seem to be ignoring each other as best they can. Their body language is superficially calm, but you see that the men and women's chairs are faced slightly away from those of the opposite sex, and their faces have hints of frowns. There might as well be an invisible wall standing right through the middle of the stage where Cielo is standing. Very likely, there is a power struggle or disagreement of some kind between these two groups.


              Ouroboros Ophis
              You quickly realize that you are not in your element. You are initially intrigued by the comments and whispers around you, but there is so little to base your judgment on that you're not sure how to use this information. Is Atlas liked, or disliked? Are they just surprised to see the previous Hierarch remaining in a position of power, or is there more to it? The hidden political undercurrents in the room make you feel uneasy, especially knowing that you're going to be speaking in front of them soon. You know that putting the wrong foot forward can set you up for headaches or even disaster down the road.

              Take the Beat for the dramatic failure. You gain the following custom Condition:

              Misinformed (Consilium). You struggle to understand the social undercurrents in a particular group, identified at the time you gain this Condition. You take -2 on Social rolls and Social Maneuvering attempts involving members of the social group related to this Condition. Whenever the Storyteller asks you to roll for a Social action or Social Maneuvering attempt pertaining to this Condition, instead of rolling you may voluntarily fail the roll and resolve this Condition.

              Resolution: Opt to fail a Social action or Social Maneuvering attempt with someone in the identified group, as described above.

              Beat: N/A.


              Phoenix
              As the Councilors and Hierarch approach, you take a moment to observe the room, taking a mental step back and really studying how everyone around you is acting.

              First, you notice that most of the people in the room really are wearing formal attire, or at least nicer clothing. However, there are still a sizeable number of mages in the room with more casual clothes; Boomer is wearing a different outfit from the other day, rocking stilettos and a studded black leather jacket, but she's definitely not in any suit or formalwear. Still, it's a nice jacket, and Mathias and Valentine are certainly wearing formal attire. That signals to you that, at least at Consilium meetings, appearances are important to most people. A few people have given you glances, but that seems to be because they don't know who you are.

              Second, you can tell from the body language of the Councilors that there is a clear rift between the men and the women. You overhear someone whisper, "Surprised Atlas is up there...I bet Medianoche isn't happy about that."


              Everyone
              Cielo stands with her hands resting in fists at her hips as she waits for the room to quiet down and everyone to find their seats. "Welcome, everyone. Thank you for coming on short notice." Her speech is crisply articulated at a smooth pace. "We have had changes in the representation on this Council. Here are your Councilors." She briefly motions to each of them in turn: Estrella, an Acanthus; Luna, a Moros; Apollo, a Mastigos; Atlas, an Obrimos; and Poseidon, a Thyrsus. "Prism, our previous Councilor representing the Path to the Aether," she explains simply, "was killed during the Deathstorm."

              At Cielo's announcement, the room is shocked to silence.

              After a long pause, Cielo continues, "This is likely the largest gathering we have seen in our Consilium in recent years, and perhaps one of our most important meetings. All who have been part of this society for more than a few weeks know that the Highstorms have been a Mystery explored by many for over a century. Casualties have always been a risk of these storms, but our Mystagogues have informed me that never before in this Consilium's recorded history have we lost so many in a single storm. And these from the Storm itself, not the Uratha or Kindred poachers or their servants in this city." Various mages around you grumble at the mention of these terms, but most of you do not recognize the names.

              "I have served for some time as the Adamant Sage of the local Arrow caucus. It was the decision of this Council that a change in leadership would be wise, to provide a more direct response to this event and the anticipated reactions it may have among supernatural beings in the city. I do not take this decision lightly." Her face hardens. "I vow to act decisively, to take action as needed, to protect this Consilium from any person, organization, or being that threatens our civilization. I assure you that any practice of Abyssal magic, soul reaping, or service to the Exarchs or Seers of the Throne will be met with swift justice using lethal force."
              Last edited by rwknoll; 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM.


              My Games
              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
              Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

              Comment


              • Everyone
                Many of the mages in attendance of this meeting nod along at Cielo's words. A few shift uncomfortably in their chairs at the heat in her words; Cielo is probably more direct than Atlas was in this position.

                "In respect of the dead, I call for a moment of silence for the mages who passed away during the Deathstorm." The room settles into silence. Cielo fixes her gaze on the floor and takes several slow breaths.

                After a long pause, the Hierarch clasps her hands and rests them at her waist. "We have to remain strong, despite these losses. We can't let fear dominate us or control us. Know that this Council will continue to serve you and protect you and your interests. We also will continue to strictly enforce our Consilium laws and mandates. As before, Valentine of the Shields of Dawn," she motions to him in the crowd, "and Yari of the Shadow Spears," she points to a middle-aged Asian man sitting not far from the stage, "will continue in their roles as Sentinels. They act with full support of this Council."

                Cielo pauses and surveys the room. "Alright, let's not waste any time. We have several individuals who have business to discuss here today. Let's get to it," she says curtly. "Melody?" Cielo motions to someone in the crowd and then takes a seat, crossing her arms.

                An African American woman who looks to be in her 30s stands up and makes her way to the center of the stage. Boomer leans over and whispers to you, "That's Melody, a théarch who serves as the Herald -- kind of like a spokesperson and ambassador for the Consilium."



                "Hello everyone," Melody says with a wide smile. "With many of the unfortunate losses suffered during the Deathstorm, we've had a number of changes in our local cabals, many of whom requested the opportunity to update the Consilium on their membership changes. When I call your name, please stand and send a representative to the front to share your announcement..."

                For the next several minutes, various cabals are called upon. Mages come forward and briefly share their updates. In some cases, a cabal remained and added one or two new members to replace those who were lost in the Deathstorm. For cabals that were hit particularly hard, leaving only one or two members surviving, some mages announce that they have formed an entirely new group with a new name. Melody offers each of them a warm smile, although her face is tinged with sadness as they describe their losses; she seems to wear her emotions on her sleeve.

                After each of the cabals have shared their announcement, Melody looks down at a list in her hands and frowns curiously. She looks up at Mathias and calls out, "The Council recognizes Mathias, who says he has an announcement he would also like to share."

                Mathias clenches his jaw but smoothly stands and walks at a steady pace to the stage. He smiles briefly to Melody and bows in respect to Cielo and the Council, then turns to face the audience. He takes a deep breath and slowly exhales before speaking. "Ladies and gentlemen of this Consilium, I stand before you today to make an announcement per conditions agreed upon as part of a Duel Arcane. As some of you know, Moonstone, previously a Sleepwalker and retainer to Hakim, Thunderbolt Guardian of the Adamantine Arrow, has newly Awakened." Mathias points out into the crowd directly at Moonstone, and his gaze remains fixed on him for as long as he stands on the stage. The announcement of Moonstone's Awakening draws some murmurs amongst the crowd, and the mages assembled here turn to look at him.

                Mathias continues in a very even, neutral tone, in a way that is clearly rehearsed. "I hereby announce that Moonstone defeated me, fairly and per our rules of engagement, in the Duel Arcane." The whispers swell in volume, and many mages' eyes widen in surprise. A few chuckle or openly grin at Mathias' loss, but he simply keeps talking over the crowd. "I hereby announce that the late Hakim was my better as a mage, and a man. I apologize for dishonoring his memory by assaulting his favored student and dear companion." His words are nearly identical to Moonstone's exact wording of his terms.

                Mathias bows his head at Moonstone and promptly walks down from the stage. His face is stoic, but his gait is stiff and his eyes are glaring. He returns back to his seat amidst a buzz in the crowd as the audience members gossip with each other and look at Moonstone and Mathias, as well as the rest of you sitting next to the Shields of Dawn. Mathias folds his arms and says nothing, staring pointedly ahead at the center stage.

                You can roll Wits + Empathy or Intelligence + Politics again if you would like to read the room more or get a sense of how the crowd is responding to Mathias' announcement.


                Melody's frown deepens as she stares at Mathias, and then at Moonstone. Cielo coughs to clear her throat, and Melody quickly schools her face to a neutral expression. "Thank you for your announcement," she murmurs. She coughs and summons her best smile again. "That is an excellent segue to our final order of business. We have learned that there are several new mages here among us, newly Awakened to the Supernal realms. As Herald, on behalf of the Hierarch, this Council, and your Chicago Consilium, I welcome you to our society. When I call your name, please stand and briefly introduce yourself." To the room, she adds, "Until such time that these mages have joined a cabal, received a formal mentor, or been inducted into one of our Orders, I ask for volunteers to temporarily mentor each of these individuals and instruct them on our Consilium laws."

                You are each given an opportunity to introduce yourself in however you see fit. When you do, please make an Expression roll using an appropriate Attribute that reflects how you would like to present yourself (e.g., Presence + Expression to appear bold or make a personal statement, Intelligence + Expression to speak eloquently).


                My Games
                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
                Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

                Comment


                • RAGNAR
                  Mage Sight: Peripheral
                  Active Spells: None
                  Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
                  Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                  Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
                  Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

                  Ragnar watches as Mathias completes the terms of his Duel with Moonstone and humiliate himself for Moonstone's satisfaction. He had known this was coming, but he hadn't processed what this had meant for Mathias. He resists turning his head to glare at Moonstone, and keeps his face neutral. The arrogance. The hubris. I hope you're pleased with yourself. He doesn't know when, he doesn't know how, but Moonstone will pay for this. Hakim couldn't have been without his flaws. And he will make Moonstone admit those. Maybe not to the entire Consilium. But certainly to Mathias.

                  The gazes of the entire Consilium on them makes Ragnar uncomfortable, and he realizes that, if he asks Mathias to be his mentor, that will bring the attention of the Consilium on him, too. He allows his eyes to evaluate the eyes of the Consilium. Who is taking pleasure in this? Who sympathizes with Mathias?

                  Intelligence 4 + Politics 1 = 5 dice -> 1 success.


                  "That is an excellent segue to our final order of business. We have learned that there are several new mages here among us, newly Awakened to the Supernal realms. As Herald, on behalf of the Hierarch, this Council, and your Chicago Consilium, I welcome you to our society. When I call your name, please stand and briefly introduce yourself."

                  Ragnar stands and looks around at the Consilium."Good afternoon. Thank you, Hierarch Cielo,"he nods politely towards her, "Councilors,"he nods to Estrella, Luna, Atlas, Apollo, and Poseidon, "Herald Melody,"he nods to her as well,"for welcoming my companions and I into your midst. I am Ragnar, Acanthus of the Lunargent Thorn of Arcadia. I am not native to Chicago, but I wish to make Chicago and this Consilium my home. With your permission, Hierarch, I have someone in mind for an instructor in the Arcane arts." He glances at Mathias, before returning his gaze to Cielo. "If he will have me."

                  Intelligence 4 + Expression 3 = 7 dice -> 4 successes.



                  Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                  Comment


                  • LYNX
                    Active Sight:
                    Active Spells: None
                    Willpower: 1/5 (4/5 at the end of Downtime). Mana: 6/10
                    Conditions/Tilts: Steadfast
                    Beats: 3 - Arcane Beats: 4





                    Lynx ponders what to say when his name is called out. He fails to register it at first, and is momentarily perplexed with all eyes on him.

                    Oh. Right. I have legs.

                    He rises from his seat.

                    "Um. Hello. I'm Lynx. I'm not the best at words... with words?" He pauses and rubs his beard as he glances at the room. "I Woke up last Saturday, so I'm new at magic. I was excited to meet others like me, though I've only met one Thyrsus, and with what I've seen this week... having seen this room..."

                    He looks up at the ceiling.

                    "I'm not sure I like this. The society, I mean. Your society. Within half a day of being introduced to this... Pentacle, I got to see an ugly side of it. A mistake happened, and there was a heated moment between two mages, only instead of talking about it with apologies or considerations, it became this stupid declaration of a duel, with statements of titles, and... and political status, and power, with rules that makes it seem like you're in the right only because you're strong. And it was made with terms that forced the loser to declare...

                    Well. You all heard. Some laughed too.

                    I guess there's some irony that a Thyrsus isn't impressed with... what's the term again? Social Darwinism? Might makes right?
                    " Lynx closes his eyes and ponders for a moment.

                    Don't get all philosophical now, you dork.

                    "I don't know if that is the norm. Fighting duels rather than talk, I mean. Declaring humiliation as punishment, laughing at the loser. I hope what happened between Mathias and Moonstone is the exception, not the rule. I wanted to see something wonderful, something terrific and... and real from this first encounter with the Pentacle, not... Not that mess.

                    I'm not impressed. Not with Tuesday. Not today either. Not yet, at least." He opens his eyes and glances over the room with determination. "But I want to know more. There is more to this room, this society, to all of you. I smell it in the air, hear it as you move and breathe. I feel it.

                    I don't have to like everything you do. I'm not convinced yet. Maybe you won't care to try convince me, and that's fine. I'm happy to be here either way. Happy to live in this moment. Happy and eager to learn.
                    "

                    Lynx inhales slowly, and searches the room, when...

                    "Raven," he calls out, his eyes landing on the dark-haired woman. "You're the only Thyrsus I've met so far, and so...I want you to be my mentor. It ... it feels right that it's you."

                    And without waiting for a response, he nods to the room as a whole and sits down.

                    Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 11-10-2016, 07:04 AM.


                    Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

                    Comment


                    • Moonstone
                      Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
                      Conditions: Divergent (Passive), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors), [-1 Strength until evening]
                      Health:
                      OOOOOO | Willpower: 6/8 | Mana: 9/10 | Beats: 3/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5
                      "I vow to act decisively, to take action as needed, to protect this Consilium from any person, organization, or being that threatens our civilization. I assure you that any practice of Abyssal magic, soul reaping, or service to the Exarchs or Seers of the Throne will be met with swift justice using lethal force."

                      Moonstone winces.

                      He's only halfway paying attention to the others. Apparently Phoenix knows Ouroboros Ophis too? At least he'll be easy to integrate.

                      "In respect of the dead, I call for a moment of silence for the mages who passed away during the Deathstorm."

                      He folds his hands, closes his eyes, and blanks his mind. A few seconds of semi-silence in a public space, except for breaths and creaking and quiet sniffs. It's nice.

                      He listens closely when the cabal membership rolls are updated, taking some clean shorthand notes on an index card to review later. You have to know these things to stay as tapped into Politics as he is.

                      And then comes the good part. When the crowd hushes and whispers, he stands up to be recognized, and probably draws the attention of the Consilium to his fellow Nameless as well. Considering the circumstances, he couldn't have asked for a better introduction. He raises his hand to acknowledge Mathias' brief bow, and sits again once he returns. No need to twist the knife further now that he has something to springboard off of.

                      Int+Politics (Consilium): 3 successes


                      Outside, he's calm. Inside, he's practically manic with excitement and anxiety, but he holds it together through Melody's segue and the words of the other Nameless.

                      This seems like the kind of highly stressful and public situation that might prompt a roll to resist Divergent, if you'd like me to roll it rwknoll. Also, will I get any bonus to the Expression roll from that introduction? I'll just roll Manipulation 2+Expression 2+Willpower 3 for now. 7 dice: 2 successes


                      He's remarkably collected and controlled and small when he speaks. It's lucky that the acoustics are so good in the room, or he might be too quiet to hear.

                      "Thank you, Melody. And thank you, Mathias. Our terms are fulfilled. I hope to be as gracious in victory as you were in defeat. As to the ethics of the Duel Arcane and our freely chosen terms...I know we are a Consilium that respects power, and those who are bold enough to claim it. Like Hakim. Like Cielo. That is all I will say on that matter."

                      Okay, he'll twist the knife a little bit. "I have stood here before, but never as an Awakened one. I was with you when the fairy-lights haunted Lake Michigan that fateful autumn. I stood, burning blade in hand, side by side with the warriors of the Arrow when the Noctuku rose from the sewers. I looked over my shoulder for the Mad One called the Origami Killer, and wept for the loss of the Dark Tower. I saw the sky-filling Whale Bone Woman in the winter of 2010, and the falling angels the following spring. I know the Whipping Boys of Boystown and the House of Ariadne. I have endured Highstorms before. And now I have endured the Deathstorm with you."

                      Deep breath. Hands trembling. "But now my eyes are open, and only now I do see how far I was from the Truth."

                      "In light of my experience, and all that he has given and continues to give me, I request that Hakim be considered my mentor until I join an Order or cabal. To do otherwise would be an insult to his memory. Thank you."


                      He steps down from the podium and returns to his seat to let someone else speak.

                      No, Moonstone, you can't have a dead person as your mentor. Can I count that public request as indulging Naive?


                      2E Legacy Updates
                      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                      Storm Keepers

                      Comment


                      • Ouroboros Ophis
                        Mage Sight:
                        Periphereal | Active Spells: None
                        Health: OOOOOO | WP: 5/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                        Conditions: Misinformed (Consilium) | Tilts: None | Beats: 5 | Arc. Beats: 1


                        I am going to Resolve Misinformed to auto fail the second roll to understand the room's reaction to Mathias statements


                        Things are getting progresively more confusing. Ouroboros, perhaps too acustomed to be the smartest man on the room, is completly caught off guard by Mathias declaration and the subsequent reaction of the rest of the mages present. Is this something usual? Is this what passes for justice in this society or is this a travesty of their rules? He cannot tell and feels like threading on thin ice, suddenly thrown into a maze of byzantine rules he cannot comprehend. And just then comes his turn to introduce himself. Perfect timming indeed

                        Introduction: Intelligence + Expression + Willpower= 9 dice =4 Successes


                        He takes a deep breath, and gets up, slowly but steadily walking to the front of the room:

                        -"Hierarch Cielo, Councilors, Herald"

                        He makes a gentle bow as a sign of respect when he adress them, before facing the room.

                        "The name I have chosen and lived by almost since my recent awakening is that of Ouroboros Ophis, the snake eating his own tail, a symbol of birth, death and resurrection. This is a cycle we all go through, not only each of us as individuals, but also us all as community, a society. We have left our birth behind. We have just sufered terrible losses and death, and today I hope we are beholding the rebirth of this Consilium. New groups have been formed from the disapperance of others. New mages like my companions and myself have finally shed the scales from our eyes and have awakened. I walk the path to Stygia, and as Moros I am specially aware of how death is but a step in a longer journey"

                        He makes a pause.

                        "We all have lost friends, colleages and loved ones in this Deathstorm and I appreciate the gesture of our Hierarch to remind us of those that are no longer with us, but not only the awakened suffered. There were sleepers lost in the fray too. Poor souls still trapped in the Lie that now should wait for another cycle to escape the prision of the Exarchs. Let's not forget about them. Please, join me, if you want, in a moment of silence to remember those souls that were not given the chance that we had"

                        He closes his eyes and holds his hands with his head slightly inclined for a moment, thinking of Melissa.

                        -"Thanks. That is all"

                        After another gentle bow to adress the Herald, Councilors and the Hierarch, he sits down again in his place.






                        I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

                        Comment


                        • Phoenix
                          Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
                          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 2/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                          Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None


                          "Well... after I awakened I felt the need for a change of scenery, so I and Mel decided to came here, to Chicago. It went well at first. We settled, I found people that helped me make sense of all the unbeliebeable things I had experienced... It was just what I was looking for. Then the Deathstorm came... and took my wife with it"

                          "Aww, that sucks," I reply. Is the wizard world just filled with loss or something? This Deathstorm seems to have taken something away from everyone, except for me, that is. But that's only because a mage took what was important to me before it got the chance.

                          -----

                          "Ladies and gentlemen of this Consilium, I stand before you today to make an announcement per conditions agreed upon as part of a Duel Arcane. As some of you know, Moonstone, previously a Sleepwalker and retainer to Hakim, Thunderbolt Guardian of the Adamantine Arrow, has newly Awakened. I hereby announce that Moonstone defeated me, fairly and per our rules of engagement, in the Duel Arcane. I hereby announce that the late Hakim was my better as a mage, and a man. I apologize for dishonoring his memory by assaulting his favored student and dear companion."

                          Bet you're mighty satisfied, ain't you Moonstone?

                          I look around the room for people reacting to Mathias's speech, gauging who his allies and enemies in the Consilium are.

                          Making a Wits + Empathy roll.

                          Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5 dice → 2 successes


                          "That is an excellent segue to our final order of business. We have learned that there are several new mages here among us, newly Awakened to the Supernal realms. As Herald, on behalf of the Hierarch, this Council, and your Chicago Consilium, I welcome you to our society. When I call your name, please stand and briefly introduce yourself."

                          Now it's my turn, public speaking time now. Just introduce yourself, you don't have to read your essay or anything.

                          "Hierarch Cielo, Councilers, Herald Melody," I bow to each one I address individually, then I face the rest of the Consilium, "My name is Phoenix, I walk the Path of Might. Much like many of you here, I too, am recovering from loss. Mine weren't taken by the Deathstorm, but I have lost them all the same."

                          I have to pause for a long sigh.

                          "Because of this, I wish to join the Adamantine Arrow. I want to prevent such loss from happening again and let people pass in peaceful, less sudden ways. I hope I can be of service."

                          Presence 3 + Expression 2 = 5 dice → 0 successes

                          I'll make this a dramatic failure for a Beat.


                          I sit back down as fast as I can without going into a jog. I made an ass of myself, didn't I? Yup, I did. I so did.

                          Comment


                          • BINDER
                            Willpower: 4/7 Mana: 9/10 Health: LOOOOOO
                            [Shaken]
                            Mage Sight: Peripheral
                            Beats: 4 Arcane Beats: 2

                            "I am Ouroboros Ophis, Moros, and Nameless for the time being"

                            Oh thank god another adult.

                            --

                            "Do you know him too? Is it just me who doesn't?"

                            "I do not. I wonder if it's just chance that there are so many subtle threads connecting what will likely become our cabal?"

                            --

                            "Falling Blossom is a Mastigos Mystagogue, but I don't know much about her. ... They're a cabal known as the Servants of Gaea. They formed their group around the Legacies of the Elemental Masteries. There are five standard Legacies, one for each Path."

                            Binder's ears perk up at this tidbit, but he doesn't say anything. Lynx was asking about them... he'll have to make an attempt to get to know Lynx better if it ends up that their mentors share a cabal. More threads binding the cabal together can only be a good thing.

                            --

                            "I don't know if that is the norm. Fighting duels rather than talk, I mean. Declaring humiliation as penalty. Laughing at the loser. I hope what happened between Mathias and Moonstone is the exception, not the rule. I wanted to see something wonderful, something terrific and... and real, not... Not that mess."

                            Binder attempts to control his expression. He doesn't disagree, but... using your introduction to make such a searing political statement? He's not sure if it's actually the worst idea he's ever heard of or if Lynx is just significantly ballsier than him.

                            --

                            When it's his turn to address the room, Binder nervously stands up. "Ah, hello. It's possible that some of you recognize me from the book store that I run downtown. Please call me Binder." A short pause. No, dammit, I am Binder, he admonishes himself. "I am a Mastigos. While it's a pleasure to be here and meet you all, you all have my condolences for your recent losses." Well, it was somewhat shorter than the others, but I can't think of anything else to say. "Thank you," he finishes, and sits back down.

                            Composure 4 (to project a calm demeanor) + Expression -1 = 3 -> 0 successes. As tempting as it is, I'd rather not take a dramatic failure for my first impression with the Consilium.

                            Comment


                            • Ragnar
                              You focus your attention on the Council and Hierarch, hypothesizing that their reactions will tell you the most about the general attitudes in this room. Melody and Estrella, also a théarch, show the most disapproval of Moonstone's requirements that Mathias publicly humiliate himself. Melody shows more emotion; she's trying to hide her deep frown, but she keeps shooting glares at Moonstone during the speech. Estrella is more calm and collected, but her eyes widen and her lips twitch into a frown. In contrast, Poseidon appears to be smirking and enjoying this; whether that's due to a personal grudge or reflection of the Guardians' stance, you can't say. Apollo and Atlas seem more amused than anything, and Luna seems generally disinterested; she's staring at her fingernails and slowly shaking her head. Cielo herself has her arms crossed and a perfectly calm expression on her face, but her gaze is fixed on Moonstone for nearly the entire duration of Mathias' speech.

                              When you stand and speak, you find many mages nodding approvingly towards you. You're clearly making a good impression. The Hierarch and Council members each bow their head in return to you. You get the sense that your presentation is what they would expect or prefer from all newly Awakened mages at their first Consilium meeting. Mathias smiles warmly towards you.

                              At your suggestion for Mathias to mentor you, Melody beams and replies, "Well, usually we ask for volunteers rather than making you pick your own choice. Most mages who come here haven't had the opportunity to learn much about our Consilium or meet many of our kind." She smiles warmly at Mathias, clearly intending this as a compliment on his ability to find so many mages so shortly after their Awakening.

                              Cielo waves a hand dismissively. "True, but it's perfectly fine if they want to pick their own, as long as the mage they choose accepts the selection. Otherwise, we'll call for volunteers or appoint one." She turns to you and adds, "Welcome to this Consilium, Ragnar. I expect that you will quickly learn our customs and laws."

                              Mathias claps you on the shoulder and says, "And it will be my privilege to support him in his endeavors. I accept this role, Hierarch." Cielo nodds in approval.


                              Lynx
                              You use your keen eyes and ears to study the room, focusing primarily on those closest to you. Boomer huffs under her breath and glares ahead at no one in particular, although you can clearly tell who her anger is directed towards. Valentine smiles secretively, but that smile fades to a neutral expression over the course of Mathias' announcement. Many of the mages around you seem surprised, but for different reasons. Half of them seem surprised and shocked that Mathias would lose a Duel to such a newly Awakened mage, suggesting that he is generally respected in this society; the other half seem more impressed, perhaps even awed, at Moonstone for being such a mage to win the Duel against a superior opponent.

                              When you speak and share your genuine but critical assessment of the Consilium, everyone turns to focus on you. Several of the Councilors and mages standing around you frown. However, your words are well-spoken and delivered with honesty and good intentions, and for that reason you're able to share your thoughts without angering the entire Consilium.

                              Cielo replies, "Welcome, Lynx. You speak from the heart, and I appreciate your sincerity. But I think what you're missing right now is a sensible appreciation for the very serious threat that arises when mages in conflict use spells rather than the Duel to settle their arguments. Magic is powerful, and in the wrong hands or used impulsively, it has the ability to tear apart the very fabric of this Fallen World and lay waste to everyone within it. I would much rather have a Duel used to settle a petty argument, or even a challenge to the death, if it means that no collateral damage to bystanders occurs or it prevents an all-out magical war between cabals. We are not lawless. I hope that you will come to value this Consilum and what it has to offer."

                              At your suggestion for Raven to be your mentor, a number of mages seem surprised; based on what you know of her and what she's told you, they are most likely surprised that you've even met her, given how she tends to avoid political gatherings when possible. Raven smiles eagerly and says, "It would be my pleasure to teach you about the Wild."


                              Moonstone
                              You find yourself growing giddy with excitement and energy as Mathias speaks. You're trying to stay calm and collected, as you know you're about to give a very important introduction as your first time in this Consilium as a mage, but the powerful emotions inside of you are threatening to throw off your balance.

                              Yes, I'd like you to roll Resolve + Composure for Divergent. If you fail, take a Beat as it becomes active for the remainder of this scene, giving you -2 on all social and Resolve rolls per the condition. That includes the one you made in your post, but it looks like it won't make a difference for that one.


                              You quickly assess the room as Mathias speaks, using your pre-existing knowledge of this Consilium to read the political pulse in this room. The Knights of Alhambra seem to strongly disapprove of your Duel terms, and at the mention of Hakim, Rose of Sharon sits up straight and sniffs. Ghost Dog and Askia shake their heads and frown at you. The other Arrows you know seem more neutral or even sympathetic to the message; after all, Hakim was a respected Thunderbolt Guardian.

                              The Guardians seem to take the most pleasure in Mathias' public shaming, with many of them smirking or even snickering. In constrast, the théarchs in general are very upset with you and seem very much offended at how Mathias has been forced to shame himself this way. The Mystagogues and Libertines seem generally neutral or apathetic.

                              When you stand and speak about past events that are familiar to this Consilium, you find many people nodding in approval at your words. You clearly know more about politics here than the average mage who has newly Awakened. But at your suggestion for Hakim to be your "mentor", Cielo flatly replies, "No. I am sorry for your loss, and Hakim was very much a respected member of the Adamantine Arrow. But he is no longer with us," she explains bluntly. "Even though you clearly have knowledge of this Consilium, you will abide by its customs and laws the same as any newly Awakened mage among us. I've seen too many Sleepers or Sleepwalkers in service of an Order lose themselves to hubris and temptation upon Awakening. Until you are ready, you will have a mentor like all the others." She turns to the crowd and asks, "Who will volunteer to be Moonstone's mentor for the time being?"

                              There are whispers amongst the crowd as they discuss their thoughts and respond to your speech. Rose of Sharon shakes her head, and Askia looks away from you. None of the Arrows raise their hand. Then, you hear a familiar voice call out, "I volunteer for this role, Hierarch."

                              Cielo nods in approval. "Thank you, Valentine." He looks at you with a small, knowing smile on his face.

                              You don't get any bonus to the Expression roll because it's a wash -- some are impressed and see you favorably from your speech, and others are very much mad at you.



                              Ouroboros Ophis
                              Take a Beat for resolving the Condition.


                              You clearly have no idea what is going on here under the surface. It's a very frustrating experience, to be so far outside of your comfort zone. Thankfully, you're not a stranger to giving important speeches in front of groups of people, so you introduce yourself to the best of your ability. The crowd quickly nods along at your words with approval, and many people offer warm smiles to you.

                              At your comment about Sleepers and others not yet Awakened also being harmed by the Deathstorm, Apollo nods and murmurs in agreement. Dante and the group of mages he walked in with, assumedly his cabalmates, all nod enthusiastically and grin at you. Clearly, the Libertines share your perspective. In contrast, Luna shrugs and Atlas briefly rolls his eyes with a smirk, and Estrella seems perhaps annoyed that you use your introduction to call the Consilium to a moment of silence. No one talks during it, though.

                              When you don't specifically request a mentor, Cielo calls out for volunteers to aid you at least temporarily until you join an Order or cabal. Dante quickly raises his hand and says, "I would like to help, Hierarch." He smiles at you as Cielo nods.


                              Phoenix
                              You watch Moonstone specifically and his reactions, and follow his eyes to see whom he is focusing his attention on. You see three people sitting together who look to be strongly dissatisfied with him, including a woman who briefly approached Moonstone before the Consilium meeting began. You can tell that many people are more generally impressed that he beat Mathias, who was apparently well respected here, but if you had to put money on it, the théarchs in the room are the most upset with Moonstone right now.

                              Compared to the others who have spoken, your words are brief, blunt, and not very engaging. Most people don't even seem to be paying attention to you, focusing instead of Moonstone and Mathias still. Cielo replies curtly, "Welcome, Phoenix. The Arrow have their own initiation process you'll need to pass if you want to join, but you're welcome to try." To the audience, she asks, "This one needs a mentor, too."

                              Boomer raises her hand. "I will vouch for this one, Hierarch." She offers you an apologetic look and adds to you privately, "Don't worry about them, it's just politics. You'll do great."

                              Take the Misinformed (Consilium) condition as well, presented earlier this scene, and take a Beat for the dramatic failure.


                              Binder
                              You stand and introduce yourself, and a few people smile at you whose faces seem vaguely familiar. How many people have visited your bookstore in La Grange, anyway? Is it coincidence, fate, or something else? When you try to talk, however, your words are brief and not particularly engaging. A few people nod at you, but ultimately they don't seem particularly interested overall. After the commotion at the meeting so far, and with so many other Nameless mages speaking before you, you get the impression that your words were forgettable.

                              Because you also do not mention a request for a specific mentor, Cielo again calls out for volunteers. This time, there are several mages who quickly go to respond. Valentine opens his mouth, but Falling Blossom is the first to speak. "I will, Hiearch," she speaks in crisp tones, carrying over the crowd. She smiles at you. "I will ensure that he learns the ins and outs of this Consilium quickly." Cielo nods.


                              Everyone
                              Cielo stands and says, "That is all on our agenda for today. I called for this meeting to ensure that we all move forward, united together as a society despite threats of fear or uncertainty. Any further announcements that we must pass between now and our next regularly scheduled meeting will passed along through our regular channels. In the meantime, you are welcome to contact members of this Council at any Consilum sanctum as usual. Does anyone have any other questions?"

                              Giving everyone one more opportunity to get anything else out of this meeting that they wanted, or respond to this post, before we move on.
                              Last edited by rwknoll; 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM. Reason: Added more for Phoenix's post.


                              My Games
                              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
                              Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

                              Comment


                              • RAGNAR
                                Mage Sight: Peripheral
                                Active Spells: None
                                Conditions/Tilts: Inspired
                                Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 5/10 I Wisdom: 7
                                Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 3/5
                                Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 0

                                Ragnar rises from his seat. "Um... forgive me, Hierarch. But I have a... hypothesis about the Death Storm. Well, Moonstone and I. We wondered whether or not the Supernal symbol for storms itself in Chicago has been tainted by the Abyss. During Tuesday's High Storm, several of us noticed that the hail seemed to be... tainted. Perhaps even by the Abyss. Spirits were feeding on it. Has any mage who has Forces as a Ruling Arcana examined a High Storm with their Active Sight recently?"


                                Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X