Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LYNX
    Active Sight: None
    Active Spells: Body Control (Potency 3, Duration, 1 Week)
    Willpower: 0/5 Mana: 6/10
    Conditions/Tilts: None
    Beats: 5 - Arcane Beats: 5

Well, that's not very helpful.

Oscar grumbles as he looks for his syllabus - his room's a mess after the last week, but eventually he finds it folded in one of his books. He mutters Ragnar's name - "Collins, Collins... there it is." - and once he finds the associated number, calls immediately.

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

Comment

• RAGNAR
      Mage Sight: Peripheral
      Active Spells: None
      Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
      Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 4/4 I Mana: 2/10 I Wisdom: 7
      Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
      Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

Ragnar is aware the whole time that he's having a dream, but that doesn't lessen the fear he feels as the dream proceeds, and repeats over and over. Finally, he is able to wrench himself awake. He jerks and lies still for a few moments, his heart pounding and his chest heaving. He then leaps out of bed and snatches his silver dagger from the drawer of his bedside table, ready to weave an Imago of... what? A one-trick pony, Ragnar, that's what you are. You can't even do combat magic yet. You screwed over that mage Saturday, but that's it. What he needed was knowledge of Fraying. Mathias and Valentine had mentioned that as being the ability to start damaging things and people with magic, but he wasn't powerful enough to do that yet. It would take him time to understand Fate or Time enough to use Fraying, and time wasn't on his side. He's coming. He hadn't discussed it enough with Mathias or Valentine yet, but he had the feeling that unlike what Sleepers thought, dreams really were prophetic- at least for Awakened, or maybe just for Acanthi. And there had been that laughter. In his mind's eye, the shadowy hand had reached forward to place Alux on the board in place of the mage. Would the real Emperor Palpatine please stand up?

Before he can do anything else, his phone begins to buzz with an incoming call. Coincidence? Yeah right. He immediately snatches it up answers. "Simon Collins speaking." Oh, it is way too early in the morning for me to sound that awake.

Comment

• LYNX
        Beats: 0 - Arcane Beats: 0
        Experience: 1 - Arcane Experience: 1

"Simon Collins speaking."

"Ragnar?" Lynx huffs as he flops into bed, trying to suppress the lingering anxiety in his voice. "Thank fuck. Sorry for calling this early, I just... Look, I..." He fumbles for words. "So. Uh. It's 6:30, so... that's a thing."

Lynx facepalms. "Look, this is going to sound stupid, but I had this nightmare about... about that alleyway encounter with our, uh... paradoxical friend, and it's got me really freaked out, and Valentine wasn't much help and I don't know what to think or do-"

Great. I sound like a buffoon.

He groans audibly and buries his face deeper into his palm. "I'm sorry, it's just, you're my closest friend, and I don't know who else to turn to, and..." He sighs as the self-loathing hits him. "Fuck me. I just woke you up because I had a nightmare, what the hell am I doing?"

Comment

• RAGNAR

Ragnar listens to Lynx, growing more and more convinced by the second. Yep. Not a coincidence.

"Fuck me. I just woke you up because I had a nightmare, what the hell am I doing?"

​"No, it's fine." Ragnar says, grim. "Alone in the alley, can't do anything, a voice laughing in the background? Yeah, I had the same nightmare. I'm willing to bet money that Phoenix, Moonstone, and Binder had it, too." He wipes a hand over his face. "Listen, to tell you the truth... I'm kind of terrified, because I don't think I'm actually a very good mage." He relates the story of his fight with the strange mage to Lynx, how nothing he did seemed to turn the tide, and how he was in dire straits until Moonstone and Phoenix showed up. "I feel like I needed to learn this all a long time ago, and now we have less then a week before we have to stop this thing from hurting a bunch of people. I know I'm all snark and wit on the outside, but inside? I'm just as clueless as everybody else."

Comment

• Moonstone
            Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
            Conditions: Divergent (Active), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors) [-1 Strength]
            Health:
            OOOOOO | Willpower: 2/8 | Mana: 6/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5

Valentine, Moonstone must admit, is a good fit for him as a teacher. He's strict and specific. The elder Mastigos knows the workings of the mind, and it helps guide Moonstone out of his own arrogance and preconceptions about magic, rather than pushing him into a corner. It fits well with learning High Speech and organizing his thoughts according to the Supernal language. With a bit of work, he steps outside the prison of his own pride, and learns almost like a fresh student.

Before he leaves for the day, he releases one more fear. It's easier to speak mind-to-mind than say it aloud: <I see now how little I know. My future isn't with the Arrow. I want to learn control over my magic from a place of humility. I wish to join the Guardians of the Veil.>

Pattern scouring again in the morning. Completed my 'Gain a Familiar' Aspiration and replaced it with 'Investigate La Grange Park.'

The lesson of this dream is: I urgently need to learn defensive magic.

He wakes up with a start. Moonstone's Fear is looming over his chest like a classical nightmare, but he's not afraid. It's just...there.

"I don't hate you," he explains to the Goetic reflection, "but I'm glad you're out of me."

The awful silhouette is just part of the scenery. It's helpful to meditate on. Fear arises in the mind, but its external source is merely another part of the world.

After his morning exercise, vigorous dancing, and some hot tea, he crosses his legs and meditates on the kitchen counter with Valentine's business card in his hands. He opens his Mind with a relatively simple act of magic, expecting his newfound mentor to hear him: <Good morning. Dreamed of Alux in the alley (still can't remember summoning it) but felt no fear. The ritual succeeded. I expected that would be the end of Abyssal nightmares, since Spade excised the bad dream itself, but last night was intense and focused, over and over, with traces of a 'laughing man.' Feeling that my dreams are under attack. Don't think it's paranoia. Maybe an injection of dream-poison by a rival warlock.>

Addendum: <Not afraid of Alux, but afraid of my thoughts and dreams being unsafe. Already vulnerable in this arena. Need to feel confident in distinguishing Fallen World mental illness from external attack by a Mind mage.>

Addendum: <god, listen to me, i'm rambling telepathically. feel like i'm leaving a long voicemail. sorry, sorry. ignore me. enjoy your breakfast. sorry>
            Last edited by Caladriu; 05-23-2017, 11:21 PM.

2E Legacy Updates
            Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
            Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
            Storm Keepers

Comment

• LYNX
              Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1

"Well, yeah, of course you're clueless," Lynx sighs softly. "Don't beat yourself up over it now. You've been awake for how long now, a couple of weeks? Barely a week and a half for me. Fuck if I know what I'm doing. Before we met Mathias, you hadn't met any other experiences mages either, right? We'll learn together."

"I'm glad you're okay, though. I don't know what I'd..." He pauses for a moment, deliberating momentarily before he steers away from that particular sentence. "If you think Phoenix, Moonstone and Binder had the same nightmare, shouldn't we get in touch with them as quickly as possible? I mean, what if, I dunno, Alux suddenly came knocking on your door?"

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Lynx bolts upright and fumbles with his phone, cursing quietly and rapidly in Norwegian.

"Oy, Oscar, I don't mean to interrupt whatever you're doing in there," Ewan calls rather loudly, "I forgot to buy food yesterday, mind if I fix myself a sandwich outta your stuff?"

"Faen da," Lynx whimpers. "Yeah, sure. Don't eat all of the cheese," Lynx replies, trying to keep his voice steady. He waits until he hears Ewan's footsteps fade away. "Sorry, roommate," he adds to Ragnar. "Could we maybe get together, like, right now? As in, now? You can use your magic to track down the others. Or did you get their numbers? I didn't."

Comment

• RAGNAR

"Don't beat yourself up over it now. You've been awake for how long now, a couple of weeks?"

"A couple months, actually,"Ragnar groans and he sits back down on the bed. "I was hiking the Appalachian Trail when I Awakened. It took me about that long to figure out how to do my luck spell."

"I'm glad you're okay, though. I don't know what I'd..."

Ragnar doesn't finish the sentence for Lynx. But the implications are... well. You don't say stuff like that to people who are just friends.

"Could we maybe get together, like, right now? As in, now? You can use your magic to track down the others. Or did you get their numbers? I didn't."

"Yeah, I did. Meet me at my place as soon as possible." Ragnar gives Lynx his address and then hangs up.

Do I need to tell them to get here, or is Fate going to be nice enough to send them for me? ​Ragnar reaches out and peers forward in Time, trying to see the answer to the riddle before him.

Ragnar will cast Divination. One free Reach, spent on a specific answer to the question: Are events transpiring to bring the others towards me without me telling them where to go? Gnosis 1 + Time 2 + Path Tool 1 = 4 dice -> 2 successes.

He then sends a text to the others: I just got off the phone with Lynx. Looks like we both had the same nightmare about you-know-who. Phoenix, Moonstone, Binder, I assume you guys had it too?
                Last edited by Haberdasher; 05-15-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Moonstone
                  At the conclusion of your lesson, when you crystallize your thoughts and attempt to project them to Valentine, there is a moment in which your mentor blinks and studies you quizzically. And then, shortly after, you feel a phantom breeze and a chill down your spine as Valentine asserts his will on the world...and your mind.

You have an odd sensation like an itch on the edge of your senses, or of your skin brushing against leaves as you try to walk through a forest of large trees. Then, you feel more than hear Valentine's consciousness pressing up against yours: <Very well. Then watch others, and yourself, for the temptation of hubris. We will talk further another time.>

In this moment, admitting to Valentine -- and yourself -- that you might not be destined for the Adamantine Arrow requires vulnerability. And Valentine listens. You feel him listening, understanding the meaning and intent behind your thoughts more than just hearing the words.

On the next day, when you try to project your thoughts to Valentine again, he either willfilly ignores you, fails to hear you, or cannot currently respond. You hear nothing but silence, the void of which threatens to summon those images from your dream. Just because they don't scare you doesn't mean they are comforting.

Ragnar
                  You send your Sight forward to the near future, trying to fix your gaze on the river of Time at the point where the present meets up with it. Glimpses and intuitions present a clear message: These events are pulling you to them, and them to you. But then you realize that you're not sure if you are texting them because that they are going to seek you out, or if they are seeking you out because you texted them.

I think it's safe to say that at least one person had the foresight to ask everyone for their contact information, and Ragnar strikes me as the person who would do that, so I'm cool with him doing this.

Binder and Ouroboros Ophis
                  You each receive Ragnar's text message. You aren't sure what he's talking about.

Moonstone and Phoenix
                  Oh, you definitely know what Ragnar is talking about. But that's just a coincidence, right?

My Games
                  Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• Phoenix
                    Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
                    Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 2/5 | Mana: 4/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                    Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None

I'm just gonna say Phoenix eats the energy bar and scours his Pattern for Mana as practice, rather than roleplay it out for the sake of brevity. I'll go for Presence, making it 2 dots. Now, he's done this when training with Boomer, and if I remember correctly that was around 11 AM, so he's gonna regain that dot in 5 hours if that's the case.

​Also, I'm assuming that Phoenix doesn't regain a WP because his sleep wasn't restful.

Is it asking too much to have a break? Really?

Whatever. I tear away from bed, checking my phone. Boomer wants me to call back about mana? Okay...

​"Phoenix here, what's up?" I greet her. She explains there's unstable tass in La Grange. I guess I could go for quick recharge. I mean, if I can't recharge my mundane batteries, I can at least recharge the magical ones. The others might need some, too. Just after I hang up, I get a text from Ragnar.

I just got off the phone with Lynx. Looks like we both had the same nightmare about you-know-who. Phoenix, Moonstone, Binder, I assume you guys had it too?

Yup. Can't be a coincidence. Boomer told me about a place where we can get some juice. Good time to call?

​That didn't sound kinky in my head, I swear. Ugh, I need some coffee...

Comment

• RAGNAR
                      Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 2/10 I Wisdom: 7

Yup. Can't be a coincidence. Boomer told me about a place where we can get some juice. Good time to call?

Ragnar raises an eyebrow. He has a good idea where Boomer told Phoenix to go. He replies with Sure. When Phoenix calls, he answers immediately. Before Phoenix can even say a word, he says, "Let me guess, it's in La Grange, right?" ​No, it's not at all spooky that I know that.
                      Last edited by Haberdasher; 05-18-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Everyone
                        If you haven't done so recently, please update your post header with correct stats (e.g., remove all bashing damage) and active spell list. Also, I am going to review the list of current aspirations tomorrow or Thursday, so please review your character sheet here on the OOC thread to make sure that you have 3 current aspirations (2 short-term, 1 long-term).

Ragnar soon sends out a group text to everyone in the Stormeborne cabal, helping you to stay in contact and inviting everyone over to La Grange to investigate this odd disturbance together. After successfully dealing with the surprisingly annoying difficulties that you've realized come up when you don't have each others' phone numbers, you also use this opportunity to save everyone's number to your phone contacts list, if interested.

It's early in the morning when the cabal gathers, but the sun still rises early here in September, so the dark sky quickly gives way to grays and then a bright, colorful sunrise. Those of you native to the Chicago area or who have spent more time in the western suburbs know that La Grange Park isn't a literal park; it's technically the name of the entire town due north of La Grange, IL. However, the town does include a large stretch of the Salt Creek Woods, the protected woodlands that overlaps with and extends east of Bemis Woods

Because some of you are coming into town early, your group decides to gather at the Stone Avenue Metra station on the BNSF Railway. From there, assuming none of you have a car here, you decide to take a brisk morning walk to the neighborhood that Boomer and Dante each independently informed your group about. Boomer had said that there might be something odd going on around Edgewood, Malden, and Woodlawn Avenue, and that stretch of road is only about a mile's walk to the north.

At first blush, as you might completely expect for a pleasant suburban neighborhood on a Monday morning, the area seems calm and inviting. You walk past Nazareth Academy, a college-prep Catholic high school, and a retirement community, and make your way to the blocks that Boomer was mentioning. Nothing seems immediately out of place.

You may each make a perception check (Wits + Composure).

Lynx
                        You thought you sensed it a few blocks away, back by the prep school, but now that you are closer to Edgewood Avenue you definitely feel the hairs rise on the back of your neck. Something is triggering your Peripheral Sight.

Ouroboros Ophis
                        As the cabal walks north of the retirement community building, you start to feel a tingle of energy passing up an down your spine, signaling something on your Periphery. If anything, the sensation begins to grow as you walk north towards the woods. Something feels off to you.
                        Last edited by rwknoll; 05-23-2017, 11:05 PM. Reason: Typos

My Games
                        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• Moonstone
                          Peripheral Sight | Spells: none
                          Conditions: Divergent (Active), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors) [-1 Strength]
                          Health:
                          OOOOOO | Willpower: 2/8 | Mana: 6/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 4/5

Moonstone only moved to the suburbs after Hakim was banished from the old sanctum in Chicago proper, and his distance from Sleepers has kept him from integrating more than he had to. But with his fear lifted and bound, he's feeling adventurous this morning. He wore a suburban tax professional's sweater, made small talk with the cashier who sold him an overpriced coffee and sticky donut, read the local paper, and has been animatedly babbling about it since they left the train station.

He also brought his sword in a duffel bag over his shoulder. His chained nightmare of Alux ("don't worry, he's tame!") lurks behind him in Twilight. He's relaxed, but he's not getting caught off guard again.

"...and what's really fascinating is that even though it's called La Grange Park, it's actually a separate municipal entity from La Grange itself, which of course makes one wonder..."

Wits+Composure, 7 dice: 2 success

2E Legacy Updates
                          Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                          Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                          Storm Keepers

Comment

• LYNX
                            Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1

It's warm... Wait, what's...?

The shiver runs through him, the eyes of the Wild upon him, as he feels the fear still lingering from this morning pulse through his chest, leaving him breathless. On instinct, he exposes his Senses to Twilight, tearing down the veil to find the perpetrator.

Lynx activates his Spirit Sight, and with his Spirit Eyes Attainment, looks for the guilty party in Twilight.

Comment

• Ouroboros Ophis
                              Mage Sight:
                              Periphereal => Active | Active Spells: None
                              Health: OOOOOO | WP: 5/6 | Mana: 5/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                              Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats/Exp: 2/2 | Arc. Beats/Exp: 1/0

-"You felt it too, right, son?"- the doctor tells Lynx while he opens his own Sight to the presence in twilight- "Be careful, everyone, Dante warned me that there has been ghostly activity in this place. Maybe Lynx and I can share our Sight with the rest of you"-He gets close to his cabalmates so he can cast a spell on them, if they agree to it.
                              Casting Unveiling of Death on anyone within arms reach area. 2 Free Reach, 1 for Instant Casting, 1 for Advanced Duration (one Scene)=2 Successes Anyone within arms reach of the good doctor for the following hour/scene is able to perceive death attuned twilight.

Perception=1 Success
                              Last edited by Thorbes; 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM. Reason: Added spell

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• RAGNAR
                                Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 2/10 I Wisdom: 7

The opportunity to get some more Mana is a welcome expedition for Ragnar. He had run down his batteries so to speak fighting the mage, and the sudden Mana surge close to him was too good of an opportunity. He looks uneasily at the space next to- or behind, damn it, I hate spirits- Moonstone, but tries to walk close to Lynx and Binder.

"Welcome to my neck of the woods," he says with a crooked smile. It's pleasantly warm out, even for this early in the morning, and it's nice spending time with the others outside of the snide comments and political intrigue that had surrounded the Consilium meeting.

Suddenly, Lynx and Ophis both tense. He sees both of them get that faraway look that signals the Sight. He looks around warily. Okay, so the spirit guy and the ghost guy both have their weirdness sensors going off.

Ragnar doesn't have any talent for Spirit, but it seems that it's very similar to Life in some respects, even if it operates on a more symbolic or archetypal basis than the very concrete rules of Life. Death, however, is completely foreign. In his mind, it is simultaneously partnered with and yet in opposition to Life, both of which ebb and flow in accordance with the tempo of Time and the calculations and ordinances of Fate. Plus, whatever they are seeing is invisible to him.

"Talk to us, guys. What's up?"

Wits 2 + Composure 2 = 4 dice -> 2 successes.
                                Last edited by Haberdasher; 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X