Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RAGNAR
    Mage Sight: Peripheral
    Active Spells: None
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
    Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

    At Lynx's words, Ragnar grabs handfuls of flowers and starts shoving them into his mouth. The taste is bland, and he can't help but quip, "Could use some thousand island." But then the mana hits him all at once, and he's suddenly on something a thousand times better than a sugar rush. Hell, probably better than cocaine. He hadn't realized just how drained he had felt, how long he had been running at less-than-full for. He feels powerful. The task of ending this threat to the Sleepers, of fighting Alux, feels trivial for a brief moment. He can do seven impossible things before breakfast. Despite the seriousness of the situation, he can't help but hum a song as they jog in Moonstone's wake.

    But Ragnar's mood of elation is dampened as they move deeper into the neighborhood, and the dandelions grow thicker and thicker. ​People are going to die. If they haven't already.

    "I don't know how you put up with me. You all see it too, right?"

    "It's a mystery the whole Consilium struggles with," he says with a smirk, but he's not hostile. He looks up at the mass of ghosts, still aided by Ophis' spell. "It's like... tuna going after a school of sardines or something. They're darting in and out. But they're avoiding the center of it. Look how they jerk away, not towards the sardines but away from something. Like tuna do with... sharks..."

    Intelligence 4 + Occult 3 = 7 dice -> 3 successes.

    Comment


    • Everyone
      As long as you are not under any time constraints, you may ignore mana costs for spells or other expenses while outside, as you take time to eat more tass.


      Moonstone
      Yes, you were definitely mind-whammied. The realization makes you irritated. But rather than let your emotions roll over you like a tidal wave, you channel mana (of which there is more readily available) into your Pattern and reinforce your mental fortitude.

      Being a Mage sure is convenient.

      With your increased clarity of mind, you try to evaluate the situation to better understand this puzzle. You have never seen anything like this, not with so many spirits and ghosts in one place. But by watching them feed, you are confident that the cloud itself is simply the consequence of so much mana being released in this area. It's the end result of this Mystery, not the source. You think that if you can identify the true root of this problem, the Essence cloud -- and thus the ephemeral entities feeding on it -- will most likely leave.


      Phoenix
      Your spell takes hold, and the street lights up like lightning. The arcane energy coursing through here is blinding. How could you not have seen it before?

      You've never actually seen a ley line before, but with your spell, you see how the Supernal energy forms what reminds you of a power cable humming with energy within the street. Where the Essence cloud hovers, the cable bulges and crackles with energy. The "dandelions" feed into the line, transmitting even more energy, creating a surge of power that's hard to look at because of its intensity.

      More curiously, though, you see ripples of energy from each dandelion streaming toward a certain area on the street...in fact, they're coming from a single house. Each individual strand is razor-thin, but there are thousands upon thousands of them.

      Turning back to the group, and Moonstone specifically, you have that sensation like someone's watching you. Opening your Sight reveals the ephemeral creature floating near Moonstone. You've never seen something like it before, and don't know what to make of it.

      Your Forces Sight does not reveal anything particularly exciting, just showing that the electricity is still running in these houses nearby. But to your Prime Sight, the Supernal becomes visible here and the heavens open up to you. The dandelions are absolutely a form of tass, and they must be leaking Essence by converting the mana and releasing it into the air. You also see clearly now that there is no active spell holding the Essence cloud in formation or hanging over the ephemeral entities here. The effects you are seeing do not seem to be due to a specific spell.

      There are so many options to pursue, so many thoughts and ideas going through your mind, that you feel overwhelmed. You're just a group of novice mages. How are you supposed to be able to figure this out yourselves?


      Take a beat and the following condition:

      Perplexed. You feel confused and unsure about what to do because your mental focus is wavering. You take -2 on Mental rolls. You also take twice as long to complete extended actions for Mental skills. Whenever the Storyteller asks you to roll for a Mental action, instead of rolling you may voluntarily fail the roll and resolve this Condition.

      Resolution: Opt to fail a Mental action, as described above.

      Beat: N/A.


      Binder
      While you eat a not-so-tasty dandelion and feel the mana course through you, you have a thought: If eating these flowers gives you mana, and they wilt and lose that mana shortly after being plucked from the ground, then something else is fueling them. And if you're eating them and none of you have been harmed or drained that you know of, then they are more likely just a symptom of the larger problem here.

      But what else might you be looking for, then? And where might it be? It's probably something nearby, given how many flowers are on this block compared to the previous street.


      Lynx
      You form an Imago of incense swirling around the cloud, intermingling with the Essence, and revealing hidden secrets through the shapes revealed, the way a shaman or spiritual healer might use incense in a divination ritual. The spell blossoms into existence and you feel a sense of insight as you continue to study the cloud. Even without your Mage Sight active, you are able to watch the Essence cloud with your spell. As you study it, you see a trail of Essence leading back to the dandelions, but then also feel the energy coming in through their roots, and further stretching back to...something else.

      Abruptly, jarring thoughts and memories of that otherworldly place you went to through the Highstorm portal interrupt your focus. It's all you can do to keep your spell from wavering and falling apart.


      Take a beat and the following condition:

      Distracted. Something is running through your head and you have a very difficult time focusing on anything else. You take -2 on Wits+Composure rolls for perception and spellcasting rolls that have a duration of concentration (effectively negating the Yantra bonus for concentration). In addition, your Resolve is 1 lower for purposes of Withstanding spell effects.

      Resolution: Gain 1 Willpower.

      Beat: N/A.


      Ouroboros Ophis
      You know from studying the cloud with your Sight that there is no Anchor here for the ghosts; this is raw Essence being leaked into the sky. But you know that ghosts who move beyond the range of their Anchors might rapidly lose their Essence, and even though you now see that there is an incredible surplus here, there seems to be more than just Essence bringing the ghosts here.

      You wonder if the Essence cloud is some kind of lure, or if something else made nearby ghosts aware of this Essence feast. That would suggest that the cloud is not the heart of this Mystery, just a piece of a larger puzzle.


      Ragnar
      Your first thought is that there must be some kind of quality of this cloud that explains why it's attracting so many creatures and why they aren't leaving. You try to critically analyze the behavior of the ghosts you can see. But the more you watch and try to objectively evaluate your hypothesis, you fail to see any difference between how the ghosts act in relation to where they stand relative to the cloud; they are all just fighting to be as close to the stream of energy as they feel comfortable doing so.

      While watching, you can't help but be impressed at the sheer scope of magic that led to this event. It's certainly more than you know how to create with your limited Spirit mastery.

      And then another thought pops into your head. It's something triggered by one of Moonstone's comments about something draining the Sleepers and fueling the ephemera. What if there was some kind of magical item or Artifact nearby that was causing this? That might explain the scope of this effect.


      My Games
      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

      Comment


      • LYNX
        Active Sight: None (Unavailable, no Willpower)
        Active Spells: Body Control (Potency 3, Duration, 1 Week)
        Willpower: 0/5 Mana: 9/10
        Conditions/Tilts: Distracted
        Beats: 1 - Arcane Beats: 1
        Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1

        "There's a trail of Essence from the dandelions, but the energy's coming in through..."

        He clutches his head.
        Water...? What the hell was that place?
        He attempts to trace the trail, letting the insight of his spell follow the trail through the roots of the purple.
        It was definitely a cave... right? And we were drowning...
        "The roots," he grunts, his concentration slipping. "Through the roots."

        Lynx wants to track the Essence and find out where it stretches to. Which check would be appropriate?


        Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

        Comment


        • Phoenix
          Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): None
          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 2/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
          Conditions: Grieving [Guilty], Perplexed | Tilts: None | -1 Dexterity (untill 11 AM)

          What do I do? What can I do? What should I do first? Focus on the house? The people? The flowers? Wait, are the flowers okay to eat? My mind is running a mile a minute. Okay, calm down, get it together. Let's just go back to basic senses and take things one at a time. First, you came for a mana refill. Looks like there's nothing wrong with eating the flowers, and some more greens in my diet wouldn't hurt (or purples more like).

          Eating up the flowers. He also ends Active Sight and Sacred Geometry.


          ​Not very good, yet has an incredibly satisfying rush to it. Okay, refill down, now people seem to be drained by all the spirits? Whatever's around here, and it looks like the house is the source.

          ​"There's a trail of Essence from the dandelions, but the energy's coming in through...the roots," Lynx grunts, "Through the roots."

          "And the roots seem to come from that house," I point, "How 'bout we pay a visit?"

          ​I lead on to the door and give it a few knocks. Maybe somebody's home? Worth a shot, I guess.

          Comment


          • Ouroboros Ophis
            Mage Sight:
            Active (Matter/Death/Life) | Active Spells: Speak with the Dead, Mental Shield
            Health: OOOOOO | WP: 4/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
            Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats/Exp: 2/2 | Arc. Beats/Exp: 1/0



            -"Great idea, let's go to the house. Whatever this essence cloud is, it is just another byproduct, not the cause of all these phenomena"- follows the lead of Phoenix, looking trough the windows to check if someone is in-"I have the impression that if someone is indeed in the house they would be in grave peril... or past that already. This seems to be the epicenter of all the life draining that these weeds are metabolizing into essence"-the doctor kneels next to the lock-"Allow me..."-He tries to open the door, if it is locked, he cast the following spell:

            Casting Remote Control to open the door: 1 Reach for Instant Casting. Gnosis 1+Matter 1+Willpower 3=3 Successes!


            I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

            Comment


            • RAGNAR
              Mage Sight: Peripheral
              Active Spells: None
              Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
              Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
              Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
              Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1



              "Through the roots."

              "And the roots seem to come from that house. How 'bout we pay a visit?"

              "Hold on, I have an idea." Ragnar walks up to the front wall of the house and rests his knife on it lightly. "I should be able to look back in time to the moment this started. My ability with Time should allow me to see far enough back to right before and after this all started. Phoenix, Lynx, Ophis, do you guys think you could cast spells that let me check this place out with Death, Life, Spirit, and Prime Sight?"

              When the others cast their spells, Ragnar begins to weave an Imago. Show me this place at the moment this all started. What happened?

              Ragnar is casting the Time 2 spell Postcognition to study the house in the moments before and after the Mana/Essence thing started. Potency is automatically 2. Two free reach, one for Instant Casting and another for Advanced Potency. Time 2 + Gnosis 1 + Tool 1 = 4 dice -> 1 success. Hopefully this is enough to overcome Withstand.

              Comment


              • Phoenix
                Peripheral Sight | Armor: None | Active Spell(s): Supernal Vision (Ragnar, Potency 2, 1 scene)
                Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 2/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                Conditions: Grieving [Guilty], Perplexed | Tilts: None | -1 Dexterity (until 11 AM)



                ​​"Hold on, I have an idea."

                My hand hovers just shy of the door as I look back to Ragnar.

                "I should be able to look back in time to the moment this started. My ability with Time should allow me to see far enough back to right before and after this all started. Phoenix, Lynx, Ophis, do you guys think you could cast spells that let me check this place out with Death, Life, Spirit, and Prime Sight?"

                "Um, okay," I reply, then I place a hand on his shoulder. Can't hurt, I suppose.

                Supernal Vision (Prime, Corebook, Page 166)
                Reach:​ 2 Free - 2 used for instant casting and Advanced Duration
                Paradox: None
                Yantras: Concentration +2
                Factors: PSF Potency 2, Duration 1 hour/scene
                Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Prime 2 + 2 Concentration = 5 dice → 1 success

                Damn, no crit.

                Comment


                • Lynx
                  You can make a Wits + Arcana roll to attempt to perceive where the trails are coming from.


                  Phoenix
                  You walk purposefully up to an older prairie-style home, which looks like it was built in the 1950s but has been well maintained. Well, you can tell that the outside of the house itself has been maintained; it's a little harder to see the landscaping because of all the plants. Upon closer inspection, you can see that there are more dandelions infused in the ground here and on the trees than on the neighboring houses, more than any other house you've seen in the area.

                  You knock on the large front door. Nothing happens.

                  You may make a Wits+Composure roll for perception, including your -2 penalty for Perplexed.


                  Ouroboros Ophis
                  To your surprise, the door is not locked; the knob turns and the heavy door creaks as you gently push it open.

                  You look into the entryway and see a long hallway that leads into a living room ahead of you. There is a stairway leading up to a second floor, and several other doors leading to various rooms or closets. None of the lights are on. In fact, the house seems...darker somehow than what you would expect for this time of day.

                  Down the hallway ahead of you, you see movement, a small ephemeral body that peeks out from behind a corner and ducks into a small hallway to the right.

                  No need for a spell in this case. However, just a reminder that you currently have 2 spells active, so any additional spells needs 2 reach for spell control. If you had cast that spell, you would've risked paradox.

                  In addition, please make a perception roll.


                  Ragnar
                  You focus your mind and take a calming breath to center yourself. Your vision explodes with colors and senses that you have never experienced before, and the glow of arcane energy and torrent of Spirits surrounding the neighborhood appear as Lynx's and Phoenix's spells settle on you.

                  Your own Imago is formed clearly in your mind, and you firmly press your will onto the river of Time surrounding the house...

                  And nothing happens. You know that the spell worked, but it simply fails to open a window into the past of this house. You feel a significance to this place, a momentous energy, from what has happened here that your spell is not able to overcome. It's like trying to lift weights that are heavier than you expected; with the right effort you might be able to overcome the strain, but that wasn't enough.

                  Potency 2 is not enough to overcome Withstand. And if I recall correctly, Advanced Potency really only matters for dispellation or Clash of Wills. Only way to boost Potency is to spend spell factors to increase the strength. You also need Duration longer if you want to see more than an instant of the past event. You could try Adcanced Duration reach and use Concentration as a second Yantra to boost your dice pool, and boost Potency to 3?


                  My Games
                  Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                  Comment


                  • RAGNAR
                    Mage Sight: Peripheral
                    Active Spells: None
                    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
                    Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
                    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
                    Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

                    Ragnar blinks as the spell works, but does nothing. He doesn't quite understand the intricacies of Sympathy, but he realizes that the house in its current state is vastly different from what it was originally. He raises his gaze from the tip of his knife resting on the wall of the house and looks up towards the roof. "Some serious mojo went down here... Keep the spells going, I need to try again."

                    He lowers his eyes back to the contact point of the wall and his knife, and exerts his will more heavily on the house. I am not a conjurer of cheap tricks. I am a Mage, and I will not be denied. Reveal to me what happened here.

                    Ragnar is going to try again with the spell. Casting Postcognition (Time 1) on the house. Two free reach, one for Instant Casting, the other for Advanced duration. He'll take a -2 to the dice pool two raise the Potency from 2 to 3. He'll invoke the Path Tool and Concentration Yantras. He does not acquire Paradox on the Casting.

                    Gnosis 1 + Time 2 + Path Tool 1 + Concentration 2 - Potency 2 = 4 dice -> 2 successes. That should do the trick.

                    ​I assume that Ragnar telling the others to keep the spells going should be enough for him to still have Death, Life, Prime, and Spirit going on him.

                    Comment


                    • LYNX
                      Active Sight: None (Unavailable, no Willpower)
                      Active Spells: Body Control (Potency 3, Duration, 1 Week)
                      Willpower: 0/5 Mana: 9/10
                      Conditions/Tilts: Distracted
                      Beats: 1 - Arcane Beats: 1
                      Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1




                      Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

                      Comment


                      • Ragnar
                        Nice work! My interpretation of how this spell works is kind of like the Pensieve from Harry Potter. Let me know if you were expecting something else to happen here.

                        You impress your will upon the stream of Time surrounding this house, connecting it to a past version of itself. You push, exerting the full strength of your mental energy against the threads of Time anchoring the house to this exact moment. And this time, you feel a satisfying surge of energy as the spell takes hold.

                        Before you can open your mouth to say a word, the stream of Time becomes a torrent, a whirlpool. In an instant, Time slams into you and drags you away, drowning out the present.

                        Your initial panic turns into wonder as you realize you're not in danger. You see trails of mana tied around you and anchoring to a distant point that you know is the present, but allow yourself to be swept away. As you watch Time flow, the house and its surroundings begin to unravel, or rather, to unwind. The mystical dandelions shrink, disappearing into the ground. The sky brightens around you, the darkens, then brightens again, marking the passage of two days. You continue to repeat the Imago of the spell in your mind, using your concentration to hold power in your spell.

                        With a rush, everything stops, and you find yourself standing in front of the house. Alone. No one stands in front of you or around you; your cabal is gone. Some neighbor kids are laughing and riding bikes down the street, and you see the young child riding her bike whom Moonstone looked at -- will look at in two days. You try to move and realize that you can't; you're rooted in this spot. You can look around, but not move or interact with anything.

                        Your cabalmates' spells are still wrapped around you, as only your senses are here in the past, not your soul or your existence. With them, you see no special cloud of Essence, no swarm of spirits or ghosts. There is no tass growing anywhere within sight.

                        You look at the house, the doors closed and the lights on inside. You briefly see a young boy run past a window overlooking the street and think you hear voices inside, but you can't make out who is speaking. It sounds like someone other than the boy, though.

                        As you watch, with a crackle of energy and a boom like thunder, you see a sudden burst of supernatural energy exploding from somewhere inside.

                        The lights shut off as the house seems to lose power, although other houses nearby don't seem to be affected. You don't hear any voices anymore. When you look at the yard, you suddenly see a small plant appear as it breaks through the ground, grows a small stalk, and opens into a small purple dandelion. A faint trickle of Essence begins to float into the air. And then another dandelion slowly appears next to it. And another. And another...

                        Because you didn't spend the Reach for the option to "scrub" time, you can only watch in real time for up to a full scene. But you can end it at any time at will. I wasn't sure if you would be able to walk around or examine the house itself, like the inside, so this is the info I'm giving you for now. Let me know if you think it should work differently.


                        Lynx
                        Sorry, I had a complete brain fart and told you the wrong roll. I wanted Wits + Occult; I thought of Arcana because I was thinking of D&D rules.

                        Wits + Occult is a chance die for you. The -2 from Distracted only applies to Wits + Composure rolls for perception, but you have -3 from not having any dots in Occult yet. Re-rolled for you: No successes. Sorry for the confusion.


                        You aren't able to focus enough to puzzle out where the Essence is coming from. You think it might be a nearby house, but that's the best you can come up with.

                        Everyone except Ragnar
                        Ragnar suddenly freezes in place, his knife tip touching the house. His eyes have a far-off, unfocused look.


                        My Games
                        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                        Comment


                        • BINDER
                          Willpower: 4/7 Mana: 10/10 Health: LOOOOOO
                          [Shaken]
                          Mage Sight: Peripheral
                          Spell Control (1): Hidden Door, Mental Shield
                          Beats: 1 Arcane Beats: 2

                          "Before we go in to investigate, let me see if anyone's home..."

                          Binder focuses and repeats his spell from the other night.

                          Casting Sense Conciousness (Mind 1)
                          3 Reach free: Spending 2 for spell control, 1 for instant cast, 1 for advanced scale
                          Containing Paradox 1 + 1 (prior risk) - 2 (dedicated tool) vs Wisdom 7 = 0 vs 7 -> 0 vs 1 successes

                          Yantras: Concentration +2, Dedicated Tool
                          Factors: Potency 1, Duration 3 rounds, Scale large building
                          Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Mind 3 + Yantras 2 = 6 -> 1 success!

                          Comment


                          • Binder
                            Your spell settles around the house, and you feel...nothing. There is no sign of any living person inside the house.


                            My Games
                            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                            Comment


                            • BINDER
                              Willpower: 4/7 Mana: 10/10 Health: LOOOOOO
                              [Shaken]
                              Mage Sight: Peripheral
                              Spell Control (1): Hidden Door, Mental Shield
                              Beats: 1 Arcane Beats: 2

                              "Well there's nobody alive in there, so this isn't a rescue mission. That doesn't preclude ghosts or spirits or who knows what else, though."

                              Comment


                              • RAGNAR
                                Mage Sight: Peripheral
                                Active Spells: None
                                Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
                                Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
                                Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
                                Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

                                As the vision of the events follow unfold, Ragnar connects the dots. This is the source alright. And I don't think this ended well for the people inside. Once he has had enough of watching the purple dandelions bloom, he erases the mental image of his Imago. He immediately begins fly forward through time, things moving at ludicrous speeds again, but now in the right direction. Finally, his senses slam back into the present, and he actually takes a couple steps back once he becomes aware of his own body again. He takes a couple of breaths as he steadies himself, and then nods.

                                "This is definitely the place. Two days ago, some sort of magical fluctuation occurred inside the house. The house immediately lost power, and then the flowers immediately began to sprout and start transmitting Essence." He levels his knife at the window he saw the boy's silhouette in. "There was a boy in that room up there. Drop the spells, guys, I got what I needed."

                                "Well there's nobody alive in there, so this isn't a rescue mission. That doesn't preclude ghosts or spirits or who knows what else, though."

                                Ragnar sighs slightly. It wasn't unexpected, but it still hurts. Part of Ragnar realizes that the Tass they have been consuming may very well contain a little bit of the inhabitants' essence. Soylent Green is people! But he shoves down the thought. He looks back towards the place where the ghosts and- his stomach flips at his first sight of spirits. What the hell would I even title that paper? "Examining the trophic interactions of the meme-fauna of La Grange?" ... On second thought, somebody in that Mysterium that Mathias mentioned has probably beat me to it.

                                As the door opens like a horror movie cliché, Ragnar steps into the hallway. Once he crosses the threshold, he gathers himself for a moment and begins to gaze forwards in time, rather than backwards. What threats await us in here? Which room is the source of this disturbance in? Which rooms are the bodies of the inhabitants in?

                                Ragnar is casting Time 1 Divination to get some info on the house. Two free Reach, one for Instant Casting, the other for specific answers. He doesn't invoke Paradox. He'll take a -2 to the roll to increase his Potency by one for a third question.

                                Gnosis 1 + Time 2 + Path Tool 1 + Concentration 2 - Potency 2 = 4 dice -> 1 success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X