[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LYNX
    Active Sight: None (Unavailable, no Willpower)
    Active Spells: Body Control (Potency 3, Duration, 1 Week)
    Willpower: 0/5 Mana: 7/10
    Conditions/Tilts: Distracted
    Beats: 1 - Arcane Beats: 1
    Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1

"Books are nice," Lynx murmurs to himself as he spots it by the window. Books are nice? We're graduating moron college, surrounded by supernal phenomena, and books are nice? Great fucking job, keeping my fucking priorities. What am I supposed to do!?

"Lynx!"

"Oh, hey, Ragnar. Glad it's you joining me-"

He stiffens as he catches the black creature in the corner of his eye.

"Oh. Okay. These are, uh, spirits right? They aren't going to be any trouble, are they?"

Lynx rubs his beard apprehensively, his senses scattered everywhere. "I honestly don't know, Ragnar, I'm... fuck me, I'm not sure where I am right now."

He rubs his temple, taking a deep breath, trying to open his Senses - but it gets him nowhere. He tries to listen, to smell, to touch the air, but his body and mind are both deprived of the will to manifest it. "I'll try to see what that is," he mutters, frowning, and under his breath, "Pretend I'm useful or something." He tries to impose his senses upon the creature, to glean something, anything, to stabilise his thoughts.

Lynx attempts to casts Spirit 1 "Know Spirit" to garner information about the Essence phenomena with Potency 3, and he succeeds, allowing him to ask 3 questions and netting him up to 3 answers to what the entity is. In order of importance: 1: What is its name, 2: what is its influence, and 3: what is its bane?
    Potency: 3
    Primary Spell Factor: Potency.
    1 target: Black insect-like spirit.
    Withstand: Target's Rank.
    Duration: Instant
    Yantra: High Speech (+2), Dedicated Tool (+1)
    Base Dice Pool: Spirit 1 "Know Spirit": Spirit (2) + Gnosis (1) + High Speech (+2) + Dedicated Tool (+1) - Potency (2)
    Reaches: 2 Free Reaches: 1 on Instant Cast, 1 on Range, 1 on Spell Maintenance.
    Total dice pool: 4 dice

Base Paradox dice: 2 - 1 from Reach, 1 from second consecutive Paradox risk.
    Mana spent to mitigate Paradox: 2.
    Paradox modifiers: -2 from Mana.
    Final Paradox dice: 0.
    If Paradox is obtained, Lynx will release it.

Roll for Paradox → 0 successes.

Roll for Spirit 1 "Know Spirit" → 2 successes.

"Come on, give me answers, damn it," he grumbles angrily under his breath, growing visibly agitated. His imago fixes in place, and he attempts to read ... whatever the creature is.
    Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 07-29-2017, 02:15 PM.

Character Sheet: Oscar "Lynx" Valewood

Comment

• Phoenix
      An unseen presence sends a tingle up your spine as soon as Moonstone opens the door. You hear creaking in the ceiling above you, assumedly because Lynx and Ragnar have gone up there to explore, but you can't be sure. You don't see or hear anything else. Whatever creature or spirit is in this area trying to influence Moonstone, it doesn't try to make its presence clearly known.

Ouroboros Ophis
      You create an Imago of an airborne sterilizing field, and your spell wraps your cabal in a protective presence. But you also know that by letting your other spell unravel, the rest of your group will lose their ability to see and interact with ghosts that aren't fully manifested in this world, and that they will need you now more than ever.

Ragnar
      Normally that would be the case, but because we're moving into a situation where actions are more time sensitive and may require initiative rolls, I'd like you to actually roll.

Moonstone
      Clash of Wills: 4d10h8 0 successes.

Your mental shield easily rebounds an attempt to cloud your mind. You open the door and see a small office, with a desktop computer sitting on a desk in the corner and a small sofa facing a window looking out on the yard to the side of the house.

The laughter is replaced with a sad moan as you enter the room. You feel the unseen presence on your periphery again, and suddenly words start to appear on the computer monitor as if being typed, even though the screen is obviously powered off.

No fair. I want to play.

Lynx
      Your mundane knowledge is useless here. You have no idea what the creature is. But you craft an Imago to gain inspiration about the creature, and you place it on the spirit. A sudden chill fills you body, tingling up your spine, and your breath catches in your throat. This is a spirit of death, with Influence over deceased creatures and rotting flesh. You don't know its weakness.
      Last edited by rwknoll; 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM.

My Games
      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
      Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

Comment

• LYNX

Lynx shudders as he reads the spirit, placing his right hand on Ragnar's shoulder, gripping his pendant with his left. Is this for his benefit? Or mine?

"It's a spirit of death," he huffs as he slows down his breathing and calms his heart with his Body Control. Tension runs through his body as he readies his reflexes. "It can influence dead creatures and rotting flesh, so be careful."

OOC: The spirit doesn't have a name?
        Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 08-03-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Ouroboros Ophis
          Mage Sight:
          Active (Matter/Death/Life) | Active Spells: Ghost Shield, Mental Shield
          Health: OOOOOO | WP: 4/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
          Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats/Exp: 2/2 | Arc. Beats/Exp: 1/0

The doctor's senses ping both when the child ghost tried to mess with Moonstone's head (again) and later when he "typed" his message on the turned off computer. -"Are you alright, Moonstone? I felt some ghostly activity being directed at you"-he enters the room, hands up in a calming motion-"Hello, child, we are here to help you and your mother... can we talk for a moment?"-he turns to Phoenix and Moonstone-"He is just a child, let's try to keep things civil, please. Remember, he and his mother are victims, not enemies".

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

• Ragnar
            You quickly but sufficiently construct your Imago of not just a literal door opening, but of a metaphorical door opening into a glimpse of the future. You peek through the crack into your immediate future and see a woman's body, her face contorted into an expression of pain and shock, covered in writhing black shadows and reeking of death.

Lynx
            For some spirits, I think of them as generic representations of their type, so its name is really a reflection of what kind of spirit it is. Spirits with actual names are those with higher rank or more memorable NPCs (higher than rank 1).

Ouroboros Ophis, Phoenix, and Moonstone
            The words fade away and others appear.

But I just want to play. Play with me.

Binder
            Hey, you still around? How would you like to act here? You're basically still just standing by yourself on the ground floor.

My Games

Comment

• Moonstone
              Peripheral Sight | Spells: Mental Shield (self, 1 week, +3 Clash)
              Conditions: Divergent (suppressed), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors) [-1 Strength]
              Health: OOOOOO | Willpower: 3/8 | Mana: 10/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 1/5

Moonstone's eyes get milky and faraway for a few seconds...

But his magic holds out. It feels so good to say NO for a change when someone tries to mess with him.

"Are you alright, Moonstone? I felt some ghostly activity being directed at you"

The warlock grumbles: "The thought-form tried to turn me into Jack Torrance. You will be happy to know that I am keeping my blade sheathed."

How do you deal with ghost kids? Or real kids? It's not really his area of expertise. But the presence of a mind in the dusty computer room is something he can latch onto, at least. He rubs his gloved hands together and sweetly says: "What game do you like to play, little friend?"

A response is evidence of a mind, however fractured. And a mind is a target. He draws his mirror and studies the computer monitor in the reflection, ready to chant in the High Speech to clarify his command to the world. The driving Obsessions of the poor unfortunate mind-echo should be revealed in the mirror.

Let's cast some spells, baby.

Mind 1 Know Nature: 1 reach for exceeding spell control, 1 reach for instant cast. +1 for sensory range. +1 to determine Aspirations and Obsessions, or ghostly equivalent. I think CofD ghosts have Aspirations at least.
              2 Paradox, chance die from dedicated tool: fail.
              Gnosis 1, Mind 2, High Speech 2. 5 dice: success.
              I learn the ghost boy's Virtue, Vice, Aspirations, and total number of dots in Mental/Social attributes. Or...however that works for Power/Finesse/Resistance.

Mind 1 Mental Scan: 1 reach for exceeding spell control, 1 reach for instant cast. +1 for sensory range. +1 for scene duration. +1 to read surface thoughts. +1 for paradox rolls in the scene.
              4 Paradox, -2 from Mana. 2 dice: fail.
              Gnosis 1, Mind 2, High Speech 2, Path Tool 1, Potency -2. 4 dice: 3 successes.
              Potency 3 withstood by Composure, or ghostly equivalent. Rank? Anything? With whatever Potency I have left, I'll ask in descending order of importance: What does the ghost imagine by "playing"? What is the ghost's Anchor? What is the ghost's current mood?
              I also get to hear what the ghost is thinking about at a given moment for the rest of the scene, which will probably be weird since it's a ghost. Does listening to the thoughts of the lingering obsessions of a dead person give an Arcane Beat?

2E Legacy Updates
              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
              Storm Keepers

Comment

• RAGNAR
                Mage Sight: Peripheral
                Active Spells: None
                Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
                Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
                Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
                Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

Ragnar grabs Lynx's arm. "It's here. The mother's ghost is behind this door. Guys," he raises his voice so that the others can hear. ​"I found the room the mother's ghost is in. The artifact that started all of this is in there with her."

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• Phoenix
                  Peripheral Sight | Armor: Prime | Active Spell(s): Kinetic Blow (self, Potency 4, 1 scene), Sense Consciousness (self, 1 day, +2 to CoW)
                  Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 2/5 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                  Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None | -1 Dexterity (until 11 AM)

​I don't like this; I can't sense the ghosts. The mother could be right on top of our asses right now, and we're none the wiser. Plus, my fists are useless against something I can't punch. Although the kid has some form of mind manipulation, that needs a mind itself. Perhaps I could see them through the world's mind...

Phoenix is casting an Unveiling Mind spell that allows him to sense minds, roughly what type of mind (he can tell apart ghost minds from human minds, for example), and a rough emotional Resonance ('Furious', 'Playful', 'Worried' are just a few examples). Think of it as a mage version of Aura Reading. Anyone trying to occlude themselves provokes a Clash of Wills. Primary Factor is Duration.

Sense Consciousness (Mind 1, CT)
                  Reach: 2 Free - 4 used for instant casting, 1 over Spell Control, Advanced Duration, and Advanced Potency
                  Paradox: Paradox 2 - 2 Dedicated Tool = Chance die → 0 successes
                  Yantras: Dedicated Tool for -2 Paradox and +1 spellcasting
                  Factors: PSF Duration to 1 day
                  Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Mind 2 + 1 DT = 4 dice → 1 success
                  Last edited by crapcarp; 08-15-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Moonstone
                    You create your spell Imago in such a way that it encompasses the computer and the space around it, like a net being thrown into the sea with hopes that it will ensnare its target, and your mind suddenly fills with knowledge about this friendly little ghost.

The "mind" you reveal is more like a recording than a consciousness, much like a voicemail is to the spoken word, except that it seems capable of responding to outside stimuli. The ghostly child seeks to entertain itself by confusing you and hiding from you, but it has no malicious intent.

Virtue: Curious
                    Vice: Stubborn
                    Aspirations: I don't see rules for these for ghosts, so I'm just going to give it a single short-term aspiration: "Use its Numina to play games with someone's mind."
                    Attributes: You learn that its Finesse + Resistance = 4.

You learn the following information: It imagines "playing" by using its Numina to create illusions or hallucinations in the target, to amuse itself and confuse the target. He just wants to show you funny things. He has one Anchor, which is his bedroom just down the hallway.

Immediately upon casting your spell, your skin begins to crawl and you hear a horrible shriek echo throughout the entire house. New words appear on the screen:

You made her angry.

Ragnar and Lynx
                    Just as the words leave Ragnar's mouth, a chill passes up your spine and you hear a terrible, furious scream. The door to the room in front of you slams open towards you, so close to you that it nearly threatens to knock you off your feet. The visage of a middle-aged woman clearly stalks through the door, her teeth growing into fangs and her hands as claws. She lunges forward -- and slips like a knife between you, shoving you forcefully into the nearby wall as she disappears downstairs.

As you steady yourselves and look into the bedroom, you hear loud hissing. A thick black cloud of those black beetles swarms in the center of the room. It splits into three human-sized swarms. Between them on the ground, you see several unmoving, pale fingers with insects crawling on it and a partial glimpse of a woman's dead face twisted in agony. Now that you are closer, you can see that these insects look like some kind of scarab beetle.

The swarms begin to move towards you in unison.

Phoenix
                    Your spell reveals the minds of your companions, an unseen presence here in this room with a "playful" Resonance, and suddenly a presence moving rapidly towards you with a "furious" Resonance. Moments later, you see a ghostly presence in the shape of a woman burst into the room. Her eyes are burning with vengeance, and her hands and teeth look sharper than knives.

Everyone
                    Time to roll Initiative!

My Games

Comment

• Moonstone
                      Peripheral Sight | Spells: Mental Shield (self, 1 week, +3 Clash)
                      Conditions: Divergent (suppressed), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors) [-1 Strength]
                      Health: OOOOOO | Willpower: 3/8 | Mana: 8/10 | Beats: 4/5 | Arcane Beats: 1/5

Moonstone drops the kid-friendliness as his spell reveals the animating passions of the ghost. "Harmless. It can only show us pictures, not hurt us. The memory is tied to the poor boy's bedroom-"

shriek!

He stows the mirror and whips around. "Made her angry- I only read its mind! These ephemerals are so sensitive-"

A ghostly woman bursts in. He's about to reach for his sword, but...looks in the mirror instead. He forms an Imago of Time as a choice and murmurs: "Choose peace, choose peace, choose peace..."

Initiative: 17. I don't think anyone's gonna exceed that so I'll just take my action.

Casting Time 2 Choose the Thread on myself. 1 reach for instant, +2 reach to affect spellcasting. +1 paradox for exceeding spell control, +1 for rolls already this scene. 4 Paradox: 2 successes. Contain: 2 successes. 2 bashing for me.

Gnosis 1+Time 2+Path Tool 1. 4 dice: 1 success.

Spent 1 Mana to cast a Time spell. In the next turn, I get to make my roll twice. Probably gonna be a Mind domination effect if things get violent.

2E Legacy Updates
                      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                      Storm Keepers

Comment

• LYNX

Initiative → 15.

Edit: Initiative should be 18, as Lynx's modifier is +8 thanks to his Potency 3 Body Control.
                        Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          Peripheral Sight | Armor: Prime | Active Spell(s): Kinetic Blow (self, Potency 4, 1 scene)
                          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 2/5 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                          Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None | -1 Dexterity (untill 11 AM)

"Choose peace, choose peace, choose peace..."

"Looks like we're not getting peace, unfortunately," I reply, readying into a defensive stance, "Pops, do ghosts have any weaknesses?"

Cancelling Sense Consciousness, since it looks like the ghost has Materialized.

Initiative Mod 4 → 8 Initiative

Comment

• RAGNAR
                            Mage Sight: Peripheral
                            Active Spells: None
                            Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
                            Health: OOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7
                            Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
                            Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

As soon as the words leave Ragnar's mouth, the door slams open to reveal the mother's ghost. "Oh shi-" But she immediately surges past him and Lynx, and the pair of them are slammed into the wall by the force of her psychic wake. Ragnar puts a hand on Lynx's shoulder to steady himself physically and emotionally. "WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT PLAYING WITH THE BEAR CUB?!" He takes a step to sprint down the stairs and join the others, but stops dead as soon as he looks into the room, and sees the three human-shaped beetle swarms. Okay, that's not good, he thinks.

He backs up towards Lynx. "Lynx, please tell me you're good enough with Spirit to Fray."

1d10 -> 10 + Init Mod 5 = 15. Looks like Ragnar and Lynx are taking their turns back-to-back.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

• LYNX
                              Initiative: 18

Lynx grunts as he does his best to stay on his feet, rattled. "Lynx, please tell me you're good enough with Spirit to Fray."

"I'm not," Lynx replies, narrowing his eyes as he clutches Ragnar's hand for a moment. He lets the High song rumble as he forms the imago of an ephemeral fog, which wraps around him and Ragnar. Then the chill hits him like a spear - the predator of his nightmares, on the verge of consuming him, eating him - and he hurls the imago into the caress of the Abyss. Oh no...

Lynx casts Spirit 2 "Ephemeral Shield", targetting himself and Ragnar. He gets 3(!) successes on the Paradox roll(!?), which he releases, and 1 success on the actual spell.

Potency: 1
                              Primary Spell Factor: Duration
                              2 targets: Lynx and Ragnar
                              Duration: 1 Day.
                              Yantra: High Speech (+2)
                              Base Dice Pool: Spirit 2 "Ephemeral Shield": Spirit (2) + Gnosis (1) + High Speech (+2)
                              Reaches: 1 Free Reach: 1 on Instant Cast, 1 on Spell Maintenance, 1 on Scale, 1 on Duration.
                              Total dice pool: 5 dice

Base Paradox dice: 5 - 3 from Reach, 2 from consecutive Paradox risks.
                              Mana spent to mitigate Paradox: 1.
                              Paradox modifiers: -1 from Mana.
                              Final Paradox dice: 4.
                              If Paradox is obtained, Lynx will release it.

Roll for Paradox → 3 successes.

Roll for Spirit 2 "Ephemeral Shield" → 1 success.

Edit: Realised I messed up the Paradox dice pool - I should have rolled 4 dice, not 3. If it's okay with you, though, I'd prefer to just keep the 3 Paradox successes because of the potential drama that'll cause.
                              Last edited by Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon; 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Lynx
                                You begin to chant in High Speech, channeling the power of the Supernal tongue to recite your Imago, but it feels so slow when these creatures are moving towards you.

Moonstone
                                You hope that Valentine would be pleased that you're being more careful with Paradox risks, because when your spell takes hold and you fight a reflex to double over from a sudden wave of pain, you think that it better be worth it to contain the threat rather than release it.

Need you to roll Clash of Wills here for Ghost Shield. I assume that you use his Gnosis + Death pool for your roll...? To save time, I'll roll for you just so we can keep combat moving. She wins with 5 successes vs. your 1. She wins, so she can attack as normal.

Attack (8) + WP (3) - Defense (7) = 4d10: 2 successes. She also spends 2 Essence to fuel her claws, increasing them to a +1L weapon this turn. Take 3 lethal damage. Don't forget about wound penalties, too.

The ghostly woman shrieks again and extends a clawed arm, trying to slash at you. Ouroboros Ophis' shield pulses with energy, trying to keep her at bay. But her claws rip through the shield. She thirsts for blood. She strikes you, fingers like knives slipping between your ribs trying to find your rapidly beating heart.

Everyone

Because I haven't heard from Thorbes yet, I rolled initiative for him using his character sheet: Initiative: 1d10+6 = 12.

Initiative:
                                Lynx (18): Begin chanting in High Speech
                                Moonstone (17): Choose the Thread
                                Ghostly woman (16): Claw attack on Moonstone
                                --> Ragnar (15)
                                Death spirits (13)
                                Ouroboros Ophis (12)
                                Phoenix (8)
                                Ghostly boy (5)

Ragnar is up.

My Games

Comment

Working...
                                X