• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwknoll
    started a topic [IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] The Supernal Suburbia

The Supernal Suburbia

Close enough to Chicago for an easy commute, but far enough away to avoid the...less than satisfactory aspects of the Windy City, La Grange is a Cook County suburb that some would say is a boring alternative to city living. Many families choose to live in this area for a number of convenient factors: less congestion than its neighboring villages to the east, quick CTA access to the city and nearby towns, and a downright pleasant feeling that scratches the suburban itch so many middle-class American families are seeking. Locals are quick to brag about La Grange's quality schools and that, yes, the actor David Hasselhoff is from here. What more could you ask for?

However, very few people, locals or otherwise, will let conversation linger on topics about the strange occurrences that have plagued parts of their town for years. It's a simple fact here: If you don't talk about it, it's not really a problem. Suburban lives go on...except when they don't.

So no one talks about, for example, the way that kids from Lyons Township High School sometimes go missing for a week or two at a time, only to show up in town with no memory of where they've been or what they have been up to. People prefer to quickly change the topic when someone asks about the distant howling they heard coming from the woods at night on the north side of town. And no one really knows, and certainly never talks about, why these disruptions to their idyllic suburban life happen in very specific pockets of town while others have almost never reported these same problems. No one in their right mind discusses how absolutely dreadful all of those bizarre experiences are in Chicago, only a short train or bus ride away.

But you have Awakened. You don't just talk about these odd happenings; you can't get enough of them. And suburban life, it turns out, has a lot of secrets hiding behind its white-washed fences and nicely furnished homes.

Stormborne (Current Player Characters)
    1. Caladriu - Moonstone, Mastigos Sleepwalker-turned-Mage
    2. Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon - Lynx, Thyrsus animist/college student
    3. crapcarp - Phoenix, Obrimos Hunter-turned-Mage
    4. Haberdasher - Ragnar, Acanthus Renaissance man
    5. Thorbes - Ouroboros Ophis, Moros occult physician

Inactive Player Characters
    1. Beans - Dr. Asphodel, Moros theoretical physicist
    2. MagicSwordsman - Binder, Mastigos bookstore owner/family man

----------------

Table of Contents

OOC Thread

Storm Chasers
    Chapter 1: "Eyes Wide Open"
    Chapter 2: "All in Order"
    Last edited by rwknoll; 08-13-2017, 12:15 PM.

• Haberdasher
    replied
    RAGNAR
    Mage Sight: Peripheral
    Active Spells: Exceptional Luck
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast, Horrid Whispers (-1 to all rolls)
    Health: BOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 8/10 I Wisdom: 7
    Beats: 0/5 I Arcane Beats: 2/5
    Experiences: 1 I Arcane Experiences: 1

As the Imago falls into place, Ragnar feels the spatial loop he snared himself in unfold like the petals of a flower, and suddenly, he can see everything: There is no up and down, no obstructions. It's like he's suddenly viewing the world from up above. No, scratch that: it's like he's suddenly seeing everything on the same plane, even stuff stuff below him and above him. For a moment, he's completely distracted from the task at hand as he stands completely still, eyes gazing ahead has he tries to take in the sheer wonder of what he's seeing. There is no "there," he thinks,only an innumerable number of places to call "here." There is no "then," only an innumerable number of moments to call "now." No there and then, just here and now... With a flash of inspiration, he suddenly remembers reading that, if God is omnipresent, that God must be able to observe all places and moments simultaneously. To be a mage is to brush up against what he was raised to regard as the divine. It's both deeply humbling and exhilarating.

Making that Perception Roll. Wits 2 + Composure 2 - Horrid Whispers 1 = 3 dice -> 1 success.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Ouroboros Ophis
    Mage Sight:
    Active (Matter/Death/Life) | Active Spells: Ghost Shield, Mental Shield, Control Ghost
    Health: ././OOOO | WP: 4/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
    Conditions: None | Tilts: Horrid Whispers (-1 to all rolls) | Beats/Exp: 2/2 | Arc. Beats/Exp: 1/0

The doctor quickly asses the situation, some of his cabalmates are a bit bruised but nothing inmediately worrying, most are fine and Moonstone's injuries, although the most griveous, are beyond his ability to heal. The spirits have been dealt with, for the time being, thanks to Phoenix's magical prowess and quick thinking. The old man cannot but feel a certain paternal pride at the young man's acomplishments so far, its already the second time he saves the situation when most needed. The ghost woman and child are no longer a danger, bound as they are by Moonstones and the doctor's own magics. The body, then, is what requires his attention.

He runs towards the center of the room, where the inert figure lies on the floor. He kneels and looks for vitals he doesn't really expect to find and any indication of the possible cause of death.

Preliminary medical examination: Wits+Medicine-1(Horrid Whispers)=4 Successes

The voices crawl inside his head as he tries to investigate the body- ShE'ssss DeAd, WhAt A FaiLUre YoU Areeeee. YoU couLDn?t SavE Her, >SamE as YoUr WiFEee-

Leave a comment:

• Caladriu
    replied
    wits 3+composure 4-horrid whispers 1-environment 1: 1 success. thought guilty might apply a -2 composure penalty since you mentioned alux, but it would be a success anyway i think.

fear goetia does nothing this round except maybe harvest essence, not that it needs any.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied
    Lynx
    You reach out to rescue Ragnar from...whatever it is that he's done to himself. But when you reach out to grab him, your hand simply misses him in a way that you can't wrap your mind around it. It's like trying to catch something out of the water, but the water distorts the light and you can't connect with the target even though it's right in front of your eyes.

The sudden motion is so unexpected that you lose your balance and fall hard onto the floor. It will take you a moment to stand up and regain your bearings.

Take the Knocked Down tilt.

Moonstone
    The room is a whirlwind of action -- both figuratively and, now thanks to Phoenix's simple Forces spell, literally.

The whispers in the room may not be coming from your own mind, but they dredge up a fraction of a memory of Alux whispering to you from beyond the Abyss -- a memory that gives you chills, because you can't remember anything else about that moment. Almost everything else you experienced across the Iris during the Highstorm was lost to you.

You wrap Space like a cloak around you, nimbly creating space for you to dance through the chaos without moving too closely to danger, and scan for the ring. All the while, the whispers fill your ears and threaten to tear at your mind.

Please make a Wits + Composure roll for perception at an additional -1 penalty, due to the general environment in the room right now.

Ragnar
    Your earlier training with Moonstone must be helping, because now that you are again trapped in the illusion that is physical separation, you're able to overcome the pressure and distractions here to form an Imago of being and seeing in all directions at once.

The Imago forms, and in an instant, you see the error in your efforts. You didn't need to run away or forward. Distance and directions are Sleeper constructs. You simply needed to relocate. As your spell forms, you see everything around you, inside this home, outside this home, all simultaneously. It's a little difficult to adjust to at first, but from an academic perspective, it's fascinating.

You may make a Wits + Composure roll for perception, at no additional penalty other than the one for Horrid Whispers.

Everyone
    The ghostly woman holds up her hands to her head and cries out wordlessly in anguish. But with Moonstone's spell in place, and her command not yet fulfilled, she is unable to leave. She extends a pointed finger into the middle of the room, where some kind of person-sized figure lies on the floor in the center of the room.

Meanwhile, the death spirits buzz in their swarms on the far side of the room, contributing to the confusing caucophany here. But in response to the presence of new mages, or perhaps to escape the horrible Abyssal whispers, the spirits crawl into the shadows and scurry away, sneaking into cracks or air vents in the floor to escape the room.

We are just about out of initiative currently, unless someone wants to try and prevent the death spirits from leaving the room. They'll be gone on their next turn.

Initiative
    Lynx (18): Failed attempt to help Ragnar
    Moonstone (17): Dodge and look for the ring
    Ghostly woman (16): Dodge
    Ragnar (15): The Outward and Inward Eye
    Death spirits (13): Retreat
    --> Ouroboros Ophis (12)
    Fear Goetia (10)
    Phoenix (8)
    Ghostly boy (5)

Thorbes is up next.

Leave a comment:

• Haberdasher
    replied
    RAGNAR
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast, Horrid Whispers (-1 to all rolls), Trapped (Speed 0)
    Health: BOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 9/10 I Wisdom: 7

Ok, this is whole new levels of "unpleasant," Ragnar thinks to himself. It's like the old recurring nightmare he used to have as a child, trying to run away from some monster, but his body- he had been quite plump when he was young- betraying him, never being able to run fast enough, or even move at all. Except he knows it's not a nightmare, because the others make their way up the stairs, and Phoenix conjures a gust of wind- well, probably raw force, but the effect feels the same, so yeah, wind- to disperse the spirits.

"Oh thank God! You guys! We. Really need. To stop. Meeting. Like this!" He's starting to pant from the exertion, feeling like he has not choice but to keep running. Yeah, yeah, leave it to the Acanthus to invoke Alice, he thinks. "Tried. To cast. A Space. Spell. These damn. Whispers. Screwed. Me up!" They never stop, the whispers. It almost feels like invisible people are circling him, breathing mockery and malice into his ears, each word too garbled, too high- or low-pitched, too soft or loud, to make out. But he knows the things speaking to him are no friends of his. He's read about some people who experience psychotic episodes having experiences like this, but this is far worse, because at least those people- at least, he hopes this is the case- are "only" imagining them. He knows that whatever this is, it's very, very real. "I think. I can. Fix this..."

Ragnar is attempting to cast The Outward and Inward Eye (Space 1) on himself. One free Reach, spent on Instant Casting. Not any other Spell Factors, just need to get a quick spell off to get rid of Trapped. The Paradox pool does not accumulate dice, so no need to roll.

Gnosis 1 + Space 1 + Path Tool 1 - Horrid Whispers 1 = 2 dice -> 1 success.

Leave a comment:

• Caladriu
    replied
    Moonstone
    Peripheral Sight | Spells: Mental Shield (self, 1 week, +3 Clash), Psychic Domination (ghost, 1 scene, "Lead us to the ring")
    Conditions: Divergent (suppressed), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors), Euphoric, Horrid Whispers [-1 Strength]
    Health: ///OOO | Willpower: 2/8 | Mana: 6/10 | Beats: 1/5 | Arcane Beats: 1/5

The serpent eats its own tail, and Moonstone's chest wounds close themselves. Shame his nice argyle sweater is still torn. He takes a deep breath and laughs euphorically, but he's still aching. "Wonderful, Doctor, absolutely wonderful. Thank you!"

If it's okay, I'll apply the just-invented Euphoric Condition from Ophis' x-success: I can resolve it to ignore wound penalties on one action, or it resolves itself when I heal all damage.

All sorts of other distractions, though. Ragnar vexed by some Spatial curse, a horde of spectral vermin blown back by Phoenix, and nagging ethereal whispers that aren't coming from his own mind for a change. He limbers up and stays mobile to avoid the swarm until they get what they came for: the ring.

Spending 1 Mana to activate Space Armor. Spending this turn on a full Dodge action. Defense 7+Space 2, 18 dice to dodge, -2 dice to my pool for each additional opponent attacking in a turn. ST can roll Dodge for me if that's easier.

Leave a comment:

• Kvitebjørn Kong Valemon
    replied
    LYNX
    Active Sight: None (Unavailable, no Willpower)
    Active Spells: Body Control (Potency 3, Duration, 1 Week)
    Willpower: 0/5 Mana: 7/10
    Conditions/Tilts: Distracted, Poisoned(?)
    Health: BBOOOOOO
    Beats: 2 - Arcane Beats: 1
    Experiences: 1 - Arcane Experiences: 1
    Get off!

Lynx flails as the spirits crawl all over him, threatening to disrupt his spell - but it is something else that consumes his magic, something dangerous, and dark. No sooner than his spell takes place do the whispers strike, and his thoughts go elsewhere.

Get out! No, shut up! No, just...

He looks to the door. His cabal is accompanied by a ghostly woman, almost a welcoming sight - and then Phoenix weaves a spell, there is a gust of wind, and suddenly he is free from the nibbles and bites - though in his head still echoes those grotesque whispers.

"Ragnar, we need to get out of... here..." He blinks at the lad running in place. "What." Then he reaches for Ragnar to grab him and drag him away from the cacophony...

Roll for freeing Ragnar from his Paradox Tilt: Wits (3) + Athletics (2) - Horrid Whispers (-1) → 0 successes.

Well, that's a dramatic failure.

...yet he reaches nothing.

Fuck.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied
    Phoenix, Binder, Ouroboros, and Moonstone
    You quickly follow up the stairs after the ghost of the mother and her son. The woman turns the corner and points into the bedroom, where a loud caucophany of angrily buzzing spirits and insane whispers echo in the crowded space.

Phoenix sends a small burst of telekinetic energy that knocks the spirits over, revealing Lynx and Ragnar, the latter of whom looks to be...running in place?

Ragnar and Lynx
    A sudden gust of wind, or what feels like, slams the spirits away. You see the rest of your cabal arrive, standing beside the ghostly woman. For those who can see him, the boy also stands there in Twilight.

Everyone
    The boy ghost turns to his mother and places a hand on her. Those with vision into Twilight can see his hand briefly glow as he transfers some of his own energy into her, healing her corpus. All of you feel a chill travel down your spine as he uses a Numen. "You're hurt", he whispers worriedly to her. "Are you okay?"

Initiative
    --> Lynx (18)
    Moonstone (17)
    Ghostly woman (16)
    Ragnar (15)
    Death spirits (13)
    Ouroboros Ophis (12)
    Fear Goetia (10)
    Phoenix (8)
    Ghostly boy (5)

Lynx is up, Moonstone is on deck. Don't forget that you are all under the effects of the Abyssal environmental tilt while in this room.

Leave a comment:

• crapcarp
    replied
    Phoenix
    Peripheral Sight | Armor: Prime | Active Spell(s): Kinetic Blow (self, Potency 4, 1 scene)
    Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 0/5 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
    Conditions: Grieving [Guilty] | Tilts: None | -1 Dexterity (untill 11 AM)

​I move back into a defensive stance as Moonstone and Ophis do their thing. So this family was given a cursed ring and did all this, huh? That begs the questions: who gave them the ring, and why? ​No time for that, the ghosts rush outta the room, so I give chase on instinct.

​Swarms of locusts, greeeat. Wait, is that Ragnar and Lynx?!

Casting a Ruling Forces spell that pushes the subject in a single arc or direction. This is not the same as Telekinesis, as it only does one particular direction and nothing else, so I think that's reasonable for Ruling. The spell is Withstood by Size (and always Withstood, even for willing subjects), with Potency as the Primary Factor. Every level of Potency pushing the subject 1 yard in the direction.

Unseen Push (Forces 2, CT)
    Reach: 1 Free - 3 used for instant casting, 1 past Spell Control, 1 for Advanced Scale
    Paradox: Overreach 2 - 2 DT = Chance die → 0 successes
    Yantras: Dedicated Tool for -2 Paradox
    Factors: PSF Potency 2, Scale for Area
    Spellcasting: Gnosis 1 + Forces 2 + 3 WP = 6 dice → 1 success

So he generates a 'gust' that, while it does hit Ragnar and Lynx (being Aimed and taking up the whole room), it's Potency is 2 so they can easily Withstand it. The 'insects', being Size 0, can't and so they're blown 2 yards away.

​I thrust out my hands to call down a tiny fraction of the Æther's might, blowing the insects off them in a gust of sorts. "Someone call an exterminator?" I quip.

Leave a comment:

• Thorbes
    replied
    Ouroboros Ophis
    Mage Sight:
    Active (Matter/Death/Life) | Active Spells: Ghost Shield, Mental Shield, Control Ghost
    Health: ././OOOO | WP: 4/6 | Mana: 9/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
    Conditions: None | Tilts: None | Beats/Exp: 2/2 | Arc. Beats/Exp: 1/0

Ophis helps Moonstone up the stairs- "You are barely conscious, your body has been suffering a lot of trauma between the ghost attack and the backslash"- saids, feeling the coperish tang of his own blood from his own containment- "Let me try something, we can not help our colleagues if you are down"- he concentrates in the battered body of the young kid, calling upon the Primal Wild trough the connection with his own Stygian watchtower. Like to Charon on the riverside, he pays the toll of calling upon unfamiliar powers with his Mana, the misteries of Life and renewal at his disposal. He pictures his namesake, the Ouroboros, constantly eating itself, dying and being reborn and projects that image on Moonstone's bruised flesh.

Casting Knit. 1 Free Reach for Instant Casting, 1 Reach to heal Lethal, 1 Reach for one spell over the limit: Paradox= 2 for the extra Reach +1 for the previous Paradox in the Scene= 3 dice 1 Success Trying to contain (Wisdom 7) = 3 Successes Another Resistant Bashing for the Doc.

Spell roll= Gnosis 1+ Life 3 + Shadow Name 3= 7 dice. Base Potency 3 = Exceptional Success!!! I get a Willpower back and if possible I would want to up the Potency to 4. Could I heal him completely this way? The initial Potency of 3 was intended to heal his 3 Lethal, but can this additional Potency for the Exceptional Success heal the remaining 2 Bashing? I am not clear if you can mix and match Bashing and Lethal healing in the same spell.

The sensation of channelling the purest expresion of life is exillarating, the doctor feels his faltering resolve reasured despite the pangs of pain of keeping the Abyss away.
    Last edited by Thorbes; 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied
    Ragnar
    Mana springs up from the well inside your soul, fueling your Supernal magic and allowing you to call on another Arcanum not aligned with your Path. You shakily form the Imago, and you take a breath to steady yourself and push the spell into existence with your will--

̦̱̼̻̙̬͖̈̎͗ͨͯ̑ ̜ ̩̻͓̹̫̟̳͑̊̎͛̔͜ ̡͕ͣ̾ͪ̚ ̣̩͈̜͙̒ș̴̟͚̰̩̫̞̀t̟͇̰̝̠̞ͥ̓͊̾ͭ̽͗o͇̮͓ͬͬ̆̊̌͒̇p̡̳͚̱͎ͅtͫ ̷͔̈́̒͛ḧ̦̥̦̘̭͔́e̘͎̾̔̄̋̄̓̉ͅw̠͉̐̀͊i͐̆̒̽͡t͉͔̙ͨ̌͊ͧͬͫͯ͜c͐ ̏̂҉̪̬̱͍hE̞̳N̴̖̱͙͇̙̳̍̎̍D͈̼͌̈͐̄͗̈H̦̜̟̍̉̐͗̚I̲̩̪̒͌͊̒̒̌ ̪̬̖̙M
    ̲̻̗̹̝̰̞̾ͬ̌̍͗͜h͔͕͓͊̂ͥe̛̻͓̹̙î̏̓͑͑ͩͧ̕s̲̝͚̝͉̠̘ͫ̍̂͞l̑̄ ̨̜̜̦͙ǫ̣̟̜͉͈̞̬ͣo̮̻͉̼͎̓̄ͣ͂̈k̹̹͎̻̘͖̤̋̇ͤ͞i̠̯̝̓̇̍̅͊͂͡n ̗̙̗ͧg̥̜̊ͮͩ͛͛ͮ̐t̶̹̥̖̗̼͌͌̐͆̿̉̒ḧ̗́́̆́i̡ͭs͇̟ͭͦ̐̎ͣ͐͋͜w̹ ̝͔̠̮͚̣á̜̩̿ͮͩ͑ͭ̿͟y̟̘̙̰̣
    ̠̯̝̰͚̟̃ͨ̚͟ ͕̘̦͈̓́ͬͅ ̬͚̞̬̼̑̋ͨ̂͋̚̚ ̮͚̞̅̉̒̔͐ ̳̫͓͌͂̿ͣ ͔̑̀ͣ ̄̑ͪ͐ͥ͌̈ ̯͓͋̏͞d̘̜̤̯̠̦͛ͣ̀̍̆̄͢ơ͚̪̠̆n̪̻͓̗͕̗ͣ͂̚ͅ'̤͔͉̘̜͍̜̐͑ͯ̈́͜t ̵̑ͪͪ̅́̒l̮̣̣͓̝̺̿̑͌͂͒ͤè͓̦̬̟̺̳ͤ̇t̛͇͖̍hͨ̑̌ͤ͜ḭ͚̺̫ͬ̑́m ̳͚̬͕̫̈́͜s̮͈̥͖̠͛ͅe̞͖̥͇̿ͩ̊͛̚͠e̠ͩy̧̼̲̓̃̃͗͛ͪ͊o̻̞uͭ͑ͮ͌̾̽ ̭͍̭̗̜͔͌ͅl̠ͧ͂ͭͅọ͉̗̺o̤̣̥̯̎ͣ̉̎k̘̪ͣ͋̑̌͌̿̌̀a͚͖̞̪̖w̾͂ͪ͑ ̗̤͎a̹̰̮̥ͮͭ̅̔ͥ͞y̓̊ͫǸ͔̭̼̜̐Ó̰̜͉̉̄̕Ẅ̠ͣͬ
    ̺͉́̾͑̊̾̋̎̀ ̈́̂ ̨̰͔̗̗͉͇̘̑ ͚͔̥̖͚̭̈́͌ͯ̅͡ ͙̻ͨ͌̈̋ͣ̆ ̦̻̘͉̜̍̔̃ͮ̂ ̗͑ͧͭͨ̂ ̭̯̻̮̀̎͒̒͟ ̼̬̼ͭ͗̂̓ͅͅ ͫ ̻̻̹ ̩͍̺̤̓ ̻̦̳̰͔ͩͭ͜ͅ ̧̥̦̪̭͎̳̭ͬ͂ͮͭ͋̿̇ ̛͉͗ͨ̏ ̶͇͕͖͍ ̗̥͕͓̮̓ͯͩ̋ͥͪ̊ ̷̙̱̭ ̻̱̞̰͇̄̈ͧ̓ ͇͌̂ͦͨͮ͊̆ ̡͚̈ͦͧ ̨͌ͫ ͍͈̑͊̽ͪ ̩͇̫̜͙̦̦̾͌̇̒ ̢̜͛ͧ͑̎ͬ̃ ͐͏̝͉̩̫͔ ̗̘ͮ̿ ̢̜̞͕̲ͥ̅̄̽̒ ͊͆ ͩ̽̃ͩ͊̇ͦ͏͖̙ ̠̄̀̑̓ͭ̈͢ ̻̲̲̰͆̔ͪỳ͌ͩ͛ͧ̆̒̀o̝̥͑͞ụ͔̬̍́́a̎͋̊̚͢r͓͍̈́̇̀ė͇̲̤̽ͧ̒͘s ͇̦̳͇̒̀̃͢t̛̀ͣ͒ū̝̙̬̪̫̟ͮ͛͒ͩ͜ͅp̴̫̳̻̩̥̓i̸͉̮ͤ̿d̠̓̇ͫ̓̅̔͢ a̩̬̟̺̱̍̚n̛̗̝̜̞̙͉ͭ̒̈̈́͌͆d̡͍͍̫͔̭̚s̥̗̣͚̟̜ͣ͠m̦̲͕̽̔ͤͧ̂ä ̜͍̠̀l̉ͬ͋ͧͧ̂ͬl̘ͧ́ͭͩ̕
    ̪̻͠ ̹̟́ͨ͐ͭ͌̃ͫ ̢̖̲̟̖̺͉̦ͦͫͯ̓ͣ̆̈ ̭͕̅ ͚̳̝̣̘̂͋̀ ̶̫̣̖̍ͦ̑͑̌H̟͇̙̮̻̺̿ͮͧͤͩ͗͝e̬͔̬c͎͓̹̞͕̯̺̏̒́̔̅o̫̲̠̰̗mͣ̈́ͧ ̪͚̻ẹ̵̗̠̞̟̉̒ͧ̒̒͒ͧs͚̞͖̦̀ͅͅͅt̪͌ͤ́͂̍͟ḫ̸̱̰͖̻ͯͨ̃ͬ̄e̟ͤ͛ ̖Ḏ̦̰̿̈́͞E͙̗̝͇͍̤͉̕S̟̤̗̃͛̈́T͚́̾̒̔͑̒̔Ṙ̭͇̰͉̼͚O̗̒ͣ̈́̾̂Y͒ ̼̍̾̃̈́̿Eͦ̓ͧ̃̽̎ͯR̫̫ͥ͛̌ͯ̕c̡̫̓̇o̻̫͎̙̖͙̯̊m̅ͣ͊͏̙̯̩e͚͆ͥ̃͞ ̻̭s̜̬̜̬
    ͎̣̩͎ͨ ͠ ̠͚̱̮̯͇͆̽̃̒̿ͩ̚ ̝ ͈̏ͥ͗̾͠ ̨̣͓̪̞̗̀̀͛͐ͥ̎ ̠̞͑͊̿͋̓̚͝ ̟͈̮͛ͫͩ̽͊ͩ̓ ̧̔̔ͤ̄ ͕̘̮͓̪̮̈̀̊̽͘ ͖̲̟̝̜̉͆̍͊́ ̨͉͉̺̤̻̱ ̞̐͌̉ ͬ̌̀҉̲ ̀ͪͣ͒̋҉̻̜̠̖ ̠̘̯̖̤̝ ̴̬̜̣̩̰̫͒ ̖͚͙̲̮̱͚̂̐͠ ̰̝̺͓͗ ͚͓̼͚̓͘ ͧͮ̈́̓͏͎̖͙͙ ͚͆͠ ̶̠̝ͫ͂̆̿̊ ̛̂͋͛̑ͨ ͮ̾̔͒̎̽̒͠ ̪ͣ ̙̰̜̖̺̀͋͂̂̾ ͛̔͗ͧͧ̚ ̞͖̼̯̗̹̝ ̷͓̫̺̥̪̜H̘͙̓͂̏̓i̓ͥ҉ŝ̸̬̱̼̰̝͈̙̽̊͆̿ͩ̔g͎̮̭̖͈̗a̮̼͎͆̓̀ͣ̿ z̗̣̹̤̞̓̃ͮͭͅe̮͚͔̪̩̫̮̍̑w̶̏ͧi̵̟̻̣̫̼̇l͆̒̌b̖͖̩͍͚̟ͧ̏ͣͩu̚ ̮̠̻̞̮͈͆͛̅̽͐r͓̤̥̰̭̺ͅn̲̘͍͐̔ͬy͈ͮ͠ọ̧̣͎͇͇̱ͧu̵̩̳͇̠̹͋̈́a̧ l͈̑̅̏̿̀l͈̪̫ͅ
    ̧̥̘͚̖͈̗̾͆ͤ͛ ͨ̇҉͓̻̞̮ ̾̽̊͗̓͑̒͘ ̦̓̄ͨ̐ ̸̫̘̀͐̋͒ͫͨ ͙͉̗̣͈͇̐ ̗̟͉̘̄ͬ̿ͅ ̦̤̭͚̤͂̓ ̙͔͇͙͋̕ ͎̻̱̪̬̏̒̊ͬͧ̌ ̇͑̆̂́ ̘̼̔ͨ̅̽̂͢ ̽͏̠͓̻̭̫̞̝ ́ ̡̟̀̀ͣ̌b̥ͅu̧̬͚̞̬̺̓͑̂̏͂̊r̫̤͚̰̥̿̄͛͋̄͛ͮn̎̓ĩ̡̯͖̰̣͕ͧͬ͆͗ ͍̠n͉̪̦͉ͯ̔̑̄̂͊͝e͓͂̈ͧͮͨt̆̐̌҉͈͈̘̲̙̞͎e͋ͭ̍̈r̸̖͓͓̣̹̗͐ͭ̊n ̵̽î͉̭̱̖̠̈͑̔̿t̡̬͖̯̗̂ͅỹ̘̺̋̋͌̎͐͌b̈̆҉̻u͎̖͔̮̍̇̐̓̈́̈́ͅr̐ ͋ͧn͎͑͛͋ͤ͊ͥ̈́n̢̗̬̭̫̹̠͍̔̑̐ͧṉ͈ͥ͗ͣ̏͛̓ǹ̘

Your mind fills with ceaseless, maddening, frantic whispers. It's white noise, if white noise could drive you insane and personify nightmares. Your spell falters, crashes in on itself, and rebounds.

Your feet are moving. You're exerting yourself physically. You feel like you're sprinting as fast as your legs can carry you. But the door is not getting any closer. It's disturbingly similar to the sensation you had when Moonstone cursed you earlier.

Your spell failure becomes a dramatic failure. You gain the following Condition:

Trapped. Due to a flawed application of the Space Arcanum, you find that you simply can’t move despite all of your efforts to do so. It’s like being lost, but without actually moving. Your effective Speed is 0. You still retain your Defense.

Resolution: This Condition is resolved when you successfully cast a Space spell, or spend an instant action to roll Wits + Athletics and succeed on the roll.

Beat: N/A.

Ragnar and Lynx
    One of the death spirits hisses at Lynx and tries to press against him with its poisonous bite, but his ephemeral shield keeps the creature from harming him. The others sense the energy and choose to simply bite without their Numen, trying to overwhelm the fledgling mages. But now that you're expecting their attacks, you are able to keep ahead of them. The creatures hiss in anger and confusion, and accidentally they run into each other and attack their own kind; it almost seems like the spirits are suffering from the Abyssal presence in this room, too.

Death Spirit: Clash of Wills: 1d10h8 0 successes first roll; Clash of Wills: 1d10h8 0 successes second roll
    Lynx: Clash of Wills: 3d10h8 0 successes first roll; Clash of Wills: 3d10h8 2 second rolls

One spirit attempts to hit Lynx, other will attack Ragnar. Both are chance die due to your Defenses.

Attack Lynx: Attack (Chance die): 1d10h10 0 successes
    Attack Ragnar: Attack (Chance die): 1d10h10 0 successes

Initiative
    Lynx (18): Ephemeral Shield
    Moonstone (17): Psychic Domination
    Ghostly woman (16): Moves upstairs
    Ragnar (15): Dramatic failure on Ground-Eater
    Death spirits (13): Attack Ragnar and Lynx
    --> Ouroboros Ophis (12)
    Fear Goetia (10)
    Phoenix (8)
    Ghostly boy (5): Moves upstairs

Ouroboros Ophis, the Fear Goetia (if he has anything to do), and Phoenix are up next, in that order.

Leave a comment:

• Haberdasher
    replied
    RAGNAR
    Conditions/Tilts: Inspired, Steadfast
    Health: BOOOOOOO I WP: 3/4 I Mana: 10/10 I Wisdom: 7

The bugs- no, the spirits- are crawling all over him, whirring and biting and he just can't take it. "We need to get out of here!" He grabs Lynx by the hand and begins to run, but as he does, he begins to weave an Imago- not one of Fate or Time, but of Space, attempting to fold space by a few feet so that the distance down the stairs is not so great. But the spell is outside his domain- like a Cartesian Plane compared to a vector- and he draws on his Mana to fuel himself. And then releases a little more as he feels Paradox creep up.

Ragnar is casting Ground-Eater (Space 1) on himself and Lynx. He gets one free Reach, which he spends on Instant Casting, and he'll spend another one to get Advanced Duration. He'll spend two Mana, one because the spell is a Common Arcana for him, and the other to reduce the Paradox Pool to a chance dice.

Chance dice -> Nothing.

Casting Roll: Gnosis 1 + Space 1 + Path Tool 1 + Willpower 3 - Subjects 2 = 3 dice -> 1 success.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied
    Moonstone
    You very nearly pass out from extreme pain. Only your ability to Rule over time allows you to narrowly escape the cold clutches of unconsciousnes. But your body is reeling in pain, eroding your current efforts to focus.

You technically only had 1 free reach on that spell (Mind 2 spell for your Mind 2 Arcanum), so you should have a Paradox pool of 5, not 4. However, no more successes were scored on my 1d10 Paradox roll. I also think that because Paradox is determined prior to the spell roll, any resistant damage from containing the Paradox is added prior to your spell roll, so you technically have a -3 wound penalty on your spell roll. Once again, in this situation it doesn't matter, but make sure to update your post header accordingly.

It is not clear to me from the core book whether you can issue multiple orders while the spell is active, or what happens if she successfully accomplishes your task, although I think the command ends as soon as she does what you commanded?

Moonstone, Ouroboros Ophis, and Phoenix
    The woman clenches her jaw and abruptly turns, then briskly storms out of the room. The ghost of her child dashes after her in Twilight. She heads back quickly to the main foyer, then up the stairs leading to the second floor.

As you follow, you run into a wide-eyed Binder. He looks, quite literally, like someone who's just seen a ghost. He motions for you all to follow upstairs. "I think Ragnar and Lynx are in trouble."

I'm just going to say that the ghost is able to move this turn while compelled instead of being stunned. You each will need to spend your next turn to move and follow her upstairs. You still have time for 1 instant action this round if you choose to follow her.

Initiative
    Lynx (18): Ephemeral Shield
    Moonstone (17): Psychic Domination
    Ghostly woman (16): Moves upstairs
    --> Ragnar (15)
    Death spirits (13)
    Ouroboros Ophis (12)
    Fear Goetia (10)
    Phoenix (8)
    Ghostly boy (5): Moves upstairs

Ragnar is up. Ophis and Phoenix are next, after NPCs.

Leave a comment:

• Caladriu
    replied
    Moonstone
    Peripheral Sight | Spells: Mental Shield (self, 1 week, +3 Clash); Choose the Thread (self, 1 turn)
    Conditions: Divergent (suppressed), Guilty, Triumphant, Informed (Rumors) [-1 Strength]
    Health: XXX//O | Willpower: 3/8 | Mana: 7/10 | Beats: 1/5 | Arcane Beats: 1/5

Moonstone unsteadily crosses the room, rests his hand on the stunned ghost, reflects it in his mirror and commands: "Lead us to the ring."

Casting Mind 2 Psychic Domination. 1 reach for instant, 1 reach for scene duration. +1 reach for a complex command, +2 for exceeding spell control, and +2 paradox for spells this scene. 1 Mana to reduce 'dox. Paradox 4: 1 success. Contain with Wisdom 7: 6 successes!

Spellcasting: Gnosis 1, Mind 2, Path Tool 1, +Potency -2, Wound Penalty -2, Willpower +3. 3 dice: 2 successes.

Potency 3 vs. Rank. The ghost is compelled to lead us, or at least Ophis and Phoenix, to wherever this ring is.

Stamina roll to remain conscious at full bashing: fail.
    Applying my reroll from Choose the Thread: 1 success.

A fresh wave of pain hits his body, and his legs nearly give out. In one future, he slumps to the right and collapses onto the floor. In another, he slumps to the left and catches himself on the wall. He chooses the left path and thuds against the suburban beige wallpaper shoulder-first, struggling to keep his eyes focused.
    Last edited by Caladriu; 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X