Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] Mountains of Shadow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] Mountains of Shadow

    Mountains of Shadow

    The Rocky Mountains and their rural countryside provide a distinct contrast to the growing urbanization around Denver, Colorado. This duality is reflected in the Fallen World, but in many places along the Rockies, the Gauntlet is so razor thin -- or even absent -- that the Shadow and its spirit denizens bleed into the realm of mortals. In and around the Denver metropolitan area, odd fluctuations in the Gauntlet lead to frequent and temporary Irises, and this grand Mystery has been the source of study for quite some time.

    Some Mystagogues claim that these Irises open up not at random times or places, but somehow in response to other events in the region. Thearchs claim that these Irises may be used to their advantage to encourage Awakening among Sleepers. Many mages, regardless of their Order or Path, Obsess over their ability to gain power and influence in the region through their interaction with the Shadow.

    But mages aren't the only supernatural beings with a claim to the Shadow. The Uratha, or werewolves, claim this realm as their birthright and defend its natural order with tooth and nail. Some werewolves and mages create alliances, usually grudgingly or temporarily, and set aside their differences to stop a spirit invasion. Others are outright hostile and will attack other supernatural beings on sight. But many of the rest are cautious, choosing to study the other warily before creating unnecessary risk by inviting retaliation.

    In a city where danger can strike and Mysteries can be found at any time, across multiple realms, who's to say what's safe?

    Current Player Characters
    1. Retias - Spider, Obrimos security consultant/hacker
    2. wtaylorjr2001 - Dr. Luck, Acanthus best-selling author
    3. Thorbes - Ouroboros Ophis, Moros occult physician
    4. Tambov - Simurgh, Thyrsus cryptid hunter

    ----------------

    Table of Contents

    OOC Thread

    Chasing Your Shadow
    Prologue: "Ignorance is Bliss"
    Chapter 1: "Howl in the Night"
    Last edited by rwknoll; 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM.


    My Games
    Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

  • #2
    List of Supporting Characters (in order of appearance)

    Melody - Obrimos Libertine. Member of the cabal known as The Band. Order mentor to Spider and Ouroboros Ophis.

    Cadence - Acanthus Mystagogue. Member of the cabal known as The Band. Order mentor to Dr. Luck and Simurgh.
    Last edited by rwknoll; 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM.


    My Games
    Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

    Comment


    • #3
      Prologue: “Ignorance is Bliss”

      You have Awakened.

      The past few weeks have been the most bizarre, but probably the most intensely rewarding, of your lives. It’s not just because the actual experience of Awakening is incredibly strange but inspiring for each mage who survives the process. Since having your eyes opened to the Lie that you have always known, you’ve learned an all-important truth.

      Ignorance is bliss – but so is power.

      For many newly Awakened mages, learning the extent – and limits – of your new power often results in a fair bit of stumbling. You have experimented, tested, and pushed your fledgling control, and in doing so, have learned some of the basics of willworking. It can be a messy process, and even lethal for some, especially in Denver. Through your experimentation, for different reasons and in different ways, you were fortunate enough to stumble across the path of another mage. They found you, realized the implications of being the first to find you, and quickly introduced you to a whole society of other mages living right there in your own community.

      Awakening tends to happen in spurts; in your case, the four of you all gained your new magical abilities within a few days of each other, and found your way to other mages after the first week. Through some twist of fate – or perhaps Fate? It’s never easy to tell with these folks – you were each discovered by a member of The Band.

      The Band is a cabal of five mages who have chosen their cabal and Shadow Names around the central theme of music, using it as a metaphor and symbol of how they choose to weave their magic in this world. The Band shepherded you together and explained the critical social nature of a Denverite mage’s reality: Thrive in numbers, or die in isolation.

      First, you learned about the Orders. Each of you reflected on your calling, your values, and your goals. You were approached by several different mages of the Pentacle Orders, eager to recruit new mages to further their own agendas. Eventually, you found the one that best suited you, and you completed your first true rite of passage by completing the initiation tasks set by each Order.

      For the Council of Free Assemblies, or the Free Council, this process was quite straightforward. You were invited for an interview with several of the leading members and asked a series of seemingly simple questions: Who are you? Why do you wish to join the Free Council? Where do you see yourself in five years? And so on. After hearing your responses, in the spirit of democracy, they voted on whether to admit you to their Order. In your case, they said yes.

      The Mysterium, on the other hand, uses a layered initiation. Your first task, to gain entry into the Order and access to the most basic information stored in their Athenaea, was also simple: Share a piece of knowledge you gained from your Awakening. The Order leader who initiated you pressed you for knowledge, challenged what you shared, and ultimately decided that you had the necessary qualities to partake in – and contribute to – their collective knowledge. Further levels of initiation, they explained, would come with time when they deemed you ready.

      With your Order as your new home, you were thrown into studies, drilled on the basics of Paradox, mana, High Speech, and other vital pieces of occult knowledge. Members of The Band who served in your Order brought you under their wing and instructed you. For each of you, this process emphasized basic knowledge about the greater Mysteries of Denver, and the tension between mages and the Uratha, the werewolves. Learning that information, that werewolves and other things really do go bump in the night, affects everyone differently. For most, though, seeing pictures of other mages who have literally been ripped to pieces is a pretty sobering and humbling experience.

      After learning these basic skills, your mentors instructed you to form a cabal. Seek out other newly Awakened mages, they explained, and form a group that will become your new family. Pick people you feel like you can trust, they told you, because few other bonds in this world are stronger and tighter than those of a cabal. And so you found each other. You’ve only just met each other, although some of you think you’ve crossed paths before in your life. Was that a twist of fate, too, or a Supernal calling?

      Now that you are ready – at least in your mentors’ eyes – to take off your training wheels, you’ve been called together by The Band with a request for your aid...
      Last edited by rwknoll; 07-28-2016, 02:31 PM. Reason: Formatting


      My Games
      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

      Comment


      • #4
        Chapter 1: “Howl in the Night”
        Saturday, September 3, 2016. Mid-afternoon.

        Spider and Ouroboros Ophis
        You are in downtown Denver, just about to walk into a meeting with your Order mentor. Melody, a bubbly and amicable African American woman probably in her late-30’s, is an Obrimos Libertine. She works as a researcher in the Department of Physics at the University of Colorado-Denver. Melody has tried to make herself as available as possible to answer any questions you might have, and she is always downright pleasant and approachable when seeing her in person. However, she does have this tendency to take a while to get back to your texts or calls unless it’s an emergency. When she contacts you, though, she expects a prompt response. Any time you’ve been slow to get back to her, she politely asks you at length what took so long, and comments on the fact that she’s really busy.

        You aren’t sure what the urgency is about this time, but she asked you to come to campus on a short notice, and requested that you meet her in her office in the academic building. The two of you meet up outside. It’s a bright, sunny day, and campus is pretty busy with students and faculty roaming about the streets nearby.


        Dr. Luck and Simurgh
        You’ve been called to a meeting with your Order mentor. Upon initiation, you received a special guest pass that can be used to take a special elevator to a lower level of the Denver Central Library. The passes are only given out to Mystagogues or mages invited as special guests to Order events; the elevator itself is under constant sympathetic surveillance to ensure privacy.

        You’re heading down the hallway to the private office of Cadence. He is a middle-aged Caucasian man in his late 40s or early 50s. He’s generally a pretty nice guy and has been a treasure trove of knowledge. He has this tendency to get off track when he is very excited about something, which is endearing but means it takes forever for you to get a word in edgewise when he’s on a roll.

        The two of you meet just after getting off the elevator. Cadence has made it clear that you’re welcome to discuss anything related to Awakened society or magic that you need to once you get off the elevator or anywhere on the lower level, although he has encouraged you to speak about Mysteries and cabal matters in private.


        My Games
        Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

        Comment


        • #5
          Spider

          Spider has settled into a short skirt and sunny top for the pleasant day and offers Ouroboros Ophis her usual cheery smile of greeting, her ever present smart phone tucked into one of her t-shirt's pockets and attached to the small earpiece in her ear by means of a white wire. "Well, hi there. Seems I'm not the only one being called to the principal's office. You've any idea what we're in for?" Even as she speaks she glances about thoughtfully, fingering her phone "Shouldn't risk taking too long, right? We'd only get scolded. 'sides, I'm all sorts of curious on what she's after."

          Comment


          • #6
            Ouroboros Ophis
            Periphereal Sight
            | Active Spells: Supress Aura (Potency 1, 1 Day Duration)
            Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
            Conditions: None | Tilts: None



            Morning Ritual: Casting Supress Aura (Death 2)
            1 Free Reach to use Advanced Duration (1 Day) 2 Successes!


            "Good morning, dear." He answers in return with a gentle nod of the head. "I am every bit as curious as you about what our beloved Melody could require of us, alas, no idea" He procures an old style pocket watch from his grey vest and after taking a quick look at the hour nods again in agreement. "Yes, yes. Better not have her waiting. Ladies first, dear" He smiles and gently waves his arm indicating that both of you should get going.

            As you walk through the corridors, some students greet both of you in passing. "So" He says "Have you done any interesting research lately?"
            Last edited by Thorbes; 07-29-2016, 02:24 PM.


            I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

            Comment


            • #7
              Spider
              Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
              Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
              Conditions: None Tilts: None


              The Obrimos smiles wryly, setting out on he directed course and weaving through students with an ease speaking of a fair amount of practice."She does get grouchy.." Spider muses. "As for research, hm. I tried a new baseline code, self teaching. Effectively, you give a program a goal and see if it can get there. Right now, it's just making words, but it's a very basic first step. Left it running so will see how it is when I'm back home. How are you coping with your many students?"


              Casting Wards and Signs (Prime 2) (Prior to scene)
              1 Free Reach; Spending for advanced duration.
              Base pool of 3. +1 (Dedicated tool) +2 (High Speech), +3 (Willpower point), +1 (One ritual interval), -4 (+1 potency)=6 diceFailure

              Last edited by Retias; 07-29-2016, 12:35 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ouroboros Ophis
                Periphereal Sight
                | Active Spells: Supress Aura (Potency 1, 1 day Duration)
                Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                Conditions: None | Tilts: None




                "That sounds quite interesting, dear!" He compliments you with sincere admiration. "I am doing quite fine, actually, thanks for asking. I must admit I expected more problems adapting from practice to teaching, but it is a refreshing change". He pauses for a moment, as wondering if sharing or not. "I, for my part, am planning of following a pregnacy, from conception to delivery to determine the point when the soul sets in" *coughs* "I am very excited, I could have never imagine I could actually observe such a thing".

                As you continue with iddle conversation you finally arrive at Melody's office.
                Last edited by Thorbes; 07-29-2016, 02:25 PM.


                I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dr Luck
                  Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                  Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
                  Conditions:None | Tilts: None


                  As was his habit, Dr Luck woke at five in the morning. He exercised for an hour after an invigorating breakfast in the old rickety building he called his home. He just bought it using a downpayment he got for his first, and also only book that went bestseller in the new york times. The house was old and needed repairs, just like his car. But a pen stab on an old map told him to leave his apt in New York City and buy a home in the suburbs of Denver Colorado.

                  His stomach was still bandaged from the gunshot would so he had to take it easy, but he needed the excercise. Magic was slowly building up within his soul. He called it elaborate wishing. He could work some magic, and he was filled with magic power, just not as much experience as the disciples as they were known in the Mysterium.

                  When he was done excercising he spent the next hour practicing magic. He cast a divination ritual. It was an hour long ritual that would give him information about his future. He wanted the answer to the question, will I get into a lethal fight today? This was time magic. He was not as good with Time as with Fate.

                  He took out his silver topped walking cane and holding it out, turned in a circle. He chanted in the language that spells used. He went on to complete the ritual. It takes two hours to get it right.

                  When he was done and had the answer he checked his wallet for the card granting entry to the Mysterium safe house in the library. He went to the library in his old Volkswagon beetle. He loved the car but it constantly broke down.

                  He arrived at the library fifteen minutes early. He saw Simurgh and greeted him.

                  "Hi Simurgh, I hope you are doing well this morning. Have you any idea what the meeting is about?"


                  Casting Divination in the morning. Will I get into a lethal fight today?
                  He used his dedicated took, the silvered walking stick, and high speech. This is a praxis.
                  8d10o10h7 this is the roll I used, please tell me if it was right or wrong.

                  Divination of the day: 7d10o10h8 0
                  Should be 8 dice.
                  Divination of the day: 8d10o10h8 3


                  Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 07-29-2016, 03:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Simurgh
                    Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Shadow Walk: duration until late morning 10 September 2016
                    Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                    Conditions: None | Tilts: None



                    Morning Ritual: casting Shadow Walk. 1 Free Reach for advanced Duration
                    Gnosis 1 + Spirit 2 + High Speech 2 + Path tool 1 (stream water in a copper bowl) + WP 3 - bumping Duration 2 = 7d10o10h8!
                    1 success


                    Simurgh spends the time after breakfast to cast a ritual that should hide him from unwanted notice for a week, chanting in High Speech and focusing on his reflection in a copper cup filled with previously bottled stream water.

                    After shortly eathing again, he answers the phone and drives to the museum, meeting Dr. Luck in the elevator.

                    "Probably some Iris got opened somewhere."
                    Last edited by Tambov; 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM. Reason: Bowl, not cup


                    Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Spider and Ouroboros Ophis
                      After making your way through campus and chatting with each other, you arrive at Melody's office, the door to which is propped open.



                      Melody doesn't notice you right away. Her medium-length hair is pulled into a ponytail, and she's chewing on the end of a pencil while she stares at some report in front of her -- probably an academic journal, if you had to guess. Her office is cluttered, with papers scattered around her desk, sticky notes posted on the desk and her computer monitor, and a few books lying in a stack beside her.

                      As you enter the room, she looks up, blinks, and then smiles broadly as she realizes who you are. "Oh, you made it! I was starting to wonder if you got my text. Please, please, come in." Melody's singsong voice sounds as chipper as usual today. She motions to two standard office chairs sitting across from her desk. She glances out into the hallway, closes the door, and takes a seat.

                      "How have things been going for you both?" she asks eagerly. "Anything exciting lately?"


                      My Games
                      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Spider
                        Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                        Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                        Conditions: None Tilts: None


                        "Hi there Melody." Spider smiles broadly, looking around the office and letting herself sprawl with a certain lack of dignity on a chair as she gets comfortable. The Machine chatters in her ear and shifts within the phone, tempted by the near computer. Spider decides against unleashing it, however. Al it'd likely end up doing is annoying Melody and she's not after a big argurement right now. She does let her gaze sweep the office however, checking out various books curiously before her eyes go back to their host. "I left a self coding program running." She says with a grin. "Either it's figured out how to type "Hello World" or it's turned into Skynet. I'll find out soon."

                        Root rubs her fingers together. "You've been a little restless, Mel?"
                        Last edited by Retias; 07-30-2016, 02:56 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ouroboros Ophis
                          Periphereal Sight
                          | Active Spells: Supress Aura (Potency 1, 1 day Duration)
                          Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                          Conditions: None | Tilts: None


                          "Melody" He nods, entering the messy office and taking one of the seats after Spider sits down herself. "Doesn't it sound incredible?" comments after his cabalmate explains her latest experiment "I cannot wait to see its progress. Imagine if we could teach it morals? The possibilities..." *coughs* "Sorry, I digress. What can we do for you today, dear? Has there been any problems?"


                          I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dr. Luck
                            With adrenaline still pumping through your body from your vigorous workout, you find the first hour of magical practice to be difficult. You do everything right, as you've been trained, but your High Speech is just a little off, and you struggle to form your Imago. Not one to give up easily, you attempt again in earnest, and this time the words roll off your tongue with ease.

                            The divination ritual grants you a tiny glimpse of the future in vague, moving swirls of color surrounding the briefest flashes of clarity. After a pause, a voiceless sensation fills you: No. And yet...you can't help but feel like the answer is less firm than usual, somehow. What does that mean?

                            You technically can ask 1 more question because you have potency 2, due to your Time 2 arcanum. Because you didn't reach for more thorough responses, this is all you get.

                            Because it's an exceptional success, you choose one of the bonuses on p. 115. The most relevant is probably 1 bonus potency (so you can ask a third question for free), or gain a positive condition that can help you and give an Arcane Feat.

                            Feel free to have any conversation you like between you and Simurgh before moving on.


                            Spider and Ouroboros Ophis
                            "Wow!" Melody's reaction of admiration is genuine, evident from the beaming smile on her face. "I have to say, that's pretty ambitious for someone so new to..."

                            Melody trails off and looks vexed as she studies the door. "Sorry, but I just always feel so paranoid when I'm talking about those kind of things without complete privacy," she explains.

                            Melody's eyes narrow briefly; suddenly, both of your peripheral senses cause you to feel a strange sense of something supernatural happening in the room. When Melody speaks again, the room sounds quieter somehow. "There. That should keep all of the sound completely here between us."

                            Melody sighs. "I asked you to come here because I have a favor to ask. And I'm sorry in advance because I know how boring and tedious it will be, but I am just swamped here with work." She sighs again, more heavily this time.

                            Melody begins to explain about her favor. "There is a Sleepwalker who works for me -- well, technically for the Order, but she's a personal friend of mine -- named Jill McCann. She's been working on a project that includes collecting info about some spirit-related issues that I'm sure someone else in The Band could tell you more about -- Cadence will talk your ear off if you let him, trust me, and I just don't have time for it. But basically, I need you to pick up some documents and bring them to our next meeting.

                            "The reason she hasn't been able to just do it herself,"
                            Melody continues, "is because she's been having some weird things happen at her house. Seems benign, but I haven't had a chance to stop by and check it out, so we're not sure if it's spirits, a ghost, or what. We assume spirits, because she lives about half an hour west of here closer to the countryside. Cadence and I were wondering if your new cabal could go, check out what's going on at her home, maybe 'tidy up' the place, and grab that research."

                            Melody looks between you two with an apologetic but hopeful smile. "So what do you think? It'd be a huge help."
                            Last edited by rwknoll; 07-29-2016, 11:32 PM.


                            My Games
                            Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Spider
                              Active Sight | Active Spell(s):
                              Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                              Conditions: None Tilts: None

                              "I started dabbling before Waking up." Spider mused, speaking up after Melody shielded the room from potential evasdroppers. "I'm carrying on now, because it can show that even in the Fallen, Magic exists. A being of energy and light that's intangible and still exists. What could speak more of Magic then that?" She smiled broadly, looking around the room. Curiousity took over and she blinked slowly. She was fairly sure she know what spell Melody had made use of, as it's one she would have herself, but she still had the desire to see it. And so she let active sight filter into her awareness, holding the pose for the short duration her weak Gnosis allowed as the spell and currents of both Fallen and Supernal energy in the room intruded on her perception.

                              She nodded at Melody's request, rubbing her mouth. "When did you last hear from her? Spirits or ghosts, well, we'd have Simurgh and Ophis here along for the ride, whichever it turns out to be." She grinned at her cabal mate. As for Jill, she felt a twinge of worry. It was possible she was in more trouble then Melody seemed to consider her to be. "What's her address?" She asked, deciding to ask The Machine to go and take an advanced scout.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X