Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[IC] [Mage: the Awakening 2E] Mountains of Shadow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ouroboros Ophis
    Periphereal Sight
    | Active Spells: Supress Aura (Potency 1, 1 day Duration)
    Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
    Conditions: None | Tilts: None

    "A bein of energy and light that's intagible and still exists... That sounds like the very description of an angel" He thought, listening to the two women. "I have some classes this morning, but we can all meet there in the afternoon to deal with whatever it is that is bothering your associate" He added after his cabalmate agreed to the task "I have little experience with ghosts, but I am eager to learn as much as I can if the oportunity presents itself. At the very least, I should be able to allow all of us to see them and maybe offer some degree of protection" he pauses "And if bad gets to worse, I am positive I can undone almost any harm we suffer. Hopefully it will not get there".


    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

    Comment


    • #17
      Dr Luck
      Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
      Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
      Conditions:None | Tilts: None


      When Dr Luck cast the Divination spell the second time he succeeded so well he could feel the space for an additional question. The no felt incomplete. There was something more that the spell was trying to tell him. He wish he had used some of the more advanced methods, but he didn't quite feel up to that task, so the questions gave more limited answers. He questioned Time twice more. Will I get into a non lethal fight today? He could feel the walls of time pressing against his mind as he pushed you yet another question, a third question. Will I fight a non human entity today?

      This was too much, he was not good with thousand question games. He would cast the spell again. This time he would use one of the advanced features of the spell. He would instant cast a version of the spell that gave better details. Two advanced features, he had never done that before. He was nervous.

      He took his silver capped cane and held it out. He turned around making an invisible circle in the air. He spoke High Speech, the language of magic. The only difference between the full ritual and instant casting were the advanced routines. He used them.

      He asked the same question, will I get into a fight today with lethal weapons use against me?

      When the morning rituals were done, and he went to the central library, he spoke to Simurgh.

      "I don't know what is going on but I hope its not that. It would not be good for us to have creatures coming in through an Iris opened. An Iris is like a gate to another world right. I am having a brain fart now."


      Divination 2 reaches, instant cast and gain better informationed answers.
      Time + Gnosis + Dedicated Tools + High Speech = 8 Dice
      Divination of the day Instant Cast: 8d10o10h8 3
      Another exceptional success with another increase in Potency for 3 questions. (Where does it say that arcana level is potency? I can't find it. I am still learning the rules
      Will I get into a fight today where lethal weapons will be brought agains me?
      Will I meet a non human entity today?
      Will there be an opportunity to learn about non human entities today?

      Comment


      • #18
        Simurgh
        Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Shadow Walk: duration until late morning 10 September 2016, CW +2 (5)
        Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
        Conditions: None | Tilts: None





        "Ususally more like another plane of the same world, but yes. That's the spirit of it. Or it could be to another place on the same plane, to Tokio for example. But here, it's likely there's another Shadow Gate opened. Luckily I can offer protection against Spirits if we have to fight them."

        He frowns, remembering something.

        "Luck, there's something I've been meaning to tell you. Do you remember how Cabals harmonize their Shadow Names between each other, to streighten their power?"

        "We're likely going to be together with Spider and Ophis."

        "A spider weaving her web. A snake biting his own tail. A winged dog of pure magic. Do you see the pattern?"

        "I'm just saying, if you'd rename yourself something like Brer Rabbit or that Chinese lucky bat or something, we're all be getting stronger magically for this, you including."



        Using logic to persuade Luck, rolling if neccessary: Int 3 + Expression 1 + Status 1 - Resolve 2 = 3d10o10h8! 0 successes
        Last edited by Tambov; 07-30-2016, 01:10 PM. Reason: typo


        Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

        Comment


        • #19
          Dr Luck
          Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
          Conditions:None | Tilts: None



          "I appreciate the fact that you don't like my name, but I do. I like the name Dr Luck because it was given to me by a cute little girl who tried to cross the street when the light was red. She was almost hit when I rescued her by grabbing her and weaving until we got to the other side. She said I was the luckiest guy alive and started calling me Dr Luck. I liked the name so it stuck. I know about the synergy possibility and we can work together to form something, but I am not changing my name."

          Luck was annoyed with Simurgh but he tried to see the issue from Simurgh's side. He would have to find a way to unite Simurgh, Luck, Orphis and Spider.

          "I will look into the matter, perhaps we can find different commonality, maybe I could be the world's luckiest man, but I will keep the name Dr Luck"
          Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 07-30-2016, 06:46 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Simurgh
            Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Shadow Walk: duration until late morning 10 September 2016, CW +2 (5)
            Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
            Conditions: None | Tilts: None



            "It's not that I don't like it, but... fine. Guess we'll have to grow into our names each on his own. Or her own, in Spider's case."

            "Oh by the way, how about we all go watch 101 Dalmatians once we're done?"



            Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

            Comment


            • #21
              Spider
              Melody nods at your questions. "Thank you so much for the help! It's probably been, oh, maybe a few days since I last heard from her? She texted me but I haven't had a chance to reply yet. I'm working on a manuscript revision for a study I'm wrapping up with a colleague. Some mages think carrying on academia after Awakening is a waste of time, but we Libertines can appreciate the integration of magic and humanity, right?"

              Melody jotted down the address on a piece of paper. "When you see her, tell her I'm still hoping to meet up sometime for lunch if she can find a babysitter for Sally on a weekend. She has this adorable little 7-year-old girl."

              As you open your Sight, you admire Melody's spell. You can actually see the sound waves move through the air, but they're moving solely in a tunnel between you, Ophis, and Melody. You could attempt to Reveal more information or Scrutinize her spell, if you wish.

              If you attempt to learn more about the spell, you can do so using Focused Mage Sight rules on p. 92-93. Opacity is 2.


              Ouroboros Ophis
              Melody turns to you and adds, "I hardly think Perfecting spells will be needed. Sally can be a little energetic sometimes, but she's harmless," Melody jokes.

              "Have a good time. And feel free to text or call if you need anything. I'll try to keep an eye on my phone." Melody turns back to her manuscript and starts reading without much of a pause. You know from experience that she would gladly answer more questions, but once she gets absorbed in a project, she can be pretty focused.


              My Games
              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
              Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

              Comment


              • #22
                Dr. Luck
                Earlier that morning...
                You reach out with your will and force your Imago into place. You receive glimpses of the day in flashes of clarity, and a voiceless sense gives the answers you seek.

                No one will fight you with potentially lethal weapons today. A flash of color shifts, and you see a small but ominous creature with vague features. You will be in the presence of a non-human entity, and you will likely interact with it and learn from it.

                I'll try to put up the next section with Cadence today. Busy with packing.


                My Games
                Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
                Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

                Comment


                • #23
                  Dr Luck
                  Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                  Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 5/5 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
                  Conditions:None | Tilts: None



                  "I am writing a book, an urban fantasy book that I need to research. It is about a mage that is just learning his craft. While I would rather see 101 dalmations, I can't. I will be writing. Don't worry, it is not going to reveal any secrets about us."

                  Dr Luck continued down in the elevator. He thought back to his divination this morning. He would meet and learn from a non human entity. This was getting exciting. A real non human entity. He wondered what he would run into. An alien, a vampire, a spirit, a fae creature all of these were conceivable.

                  "This morning I cast a practice ritual and I learned that I will be meeting a non human entity today. Maybe that is what Cadence called us in for. We will probably not be fighting for our lives today. I won't at least."
                  Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Spider
                    Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                    Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                    Conditions: None Tilts: None


                    "Will be sure to do that." Spider nods contently, tapping the address into her phone, along with a request to the Machine to scout ahead and take a quick look as she lets her Mage Sight fade. "I'm terrible with kids, but hope I don't terrify the girl too much." She smiles wryly. "As for magic and humanity.. all humans have souls and a tie to the Supernal. Truth can be found in many places. That' what the Pentacle tends to miss spotting at times."

                    She looks over to Ouroboros Ophis. "Ready when you are. Get in touch with the other two and prep to head out?"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Dr. Luck and Simurgh
                      As you finish your conversation, you arrive at Cadence's office. The door is closed, but he has told you before that you're always welcome to knock, and that he will answer if he isn't busy.



                      A middle-aged Caucasian man opens the door with a smile. He has gray hair that's partially balding, but he has an energetic step. "Ah, you made it! Please, come in."

                      The Acanthus Mystagogue invites you each to sit in a padded leather chair. His office has a large, wide bookshelf that stretches to the ceiling and is filled with a mix of mundane and occult books on a range of topics. Various pictures hang on the wall of exotic locations he has visited, all with him grinning excitedly and pointing to different things he finds interesting.

                      "I hope your studies have been going well. I have a very important task for you both that I think will serve our Order well. But first, have you been learning anything or studying anything interesting of note?"

                      After he gives you each a chance to share about your recent studies, Cadence begins to explain his request. "It started with this woman Melody knows, a Sleepwalker retainer of hers...I think her name is Jill? Anyway, Melody mentioned in passing that Jill has been having some odd occurrences at her home recently. From the sounds of it, Jill has been seeing odd marks around their home, almost like animal tracks, but unlike anything she's ever seen. From the information I've been able to gather, it also sounds like Sally -- that's her young daughter -- has reported seeing things at night near the house."

                      Cadence begins to speak eagerly, mirroring the excitement on his face from the many pictures around his office. "The Mysterium has a number of mages who collect information about spirits and other supernatural creatures, especially the ones that interact with Sleepers. But few of them are able to, or choose to, manifest themselves in such a way that they're visible to the naked eye. If Sally has seen them, she might have a special kind of talent that allows her to detect supernatural creatures, which would be fascinating to study. Or, alternatively, these creatures may have interesting properties worth studying.

                      "I know a few Mystagogues who have been trying to catalogue spirit-related activity all around Denver. If you could contribute to their research, not only would it be a good opportunity for you to learn more about spirits for yourselves, but it could help you to build some relationships within the Order,"
                      Cadence explains. "I'd like you to go and investigate. I believe Melody has asked Spider and Ouroboros Ophis to go as well, to pick up some paperwork or something that Jill needed to pass on to the Free Council. But your presence would certainly be helpful to them." Cadence smiles again. "Do make sure you check on the girl, too. Try and ask her about what she's seen, but more importantly, how she has seen what she has. It might be quite enlightening."
                      Last edited by rwknoll; 08-01-2016, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added next part of conversation re: task


                      My Games
                      Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
                      Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Ouroboros Ophis
                        Periphereal Sight
                        | Active Spells: Supress Aura (Potency 1, 1 day Duration)
                        Health: OOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                        Conditions: None | Tilts: None


                        "Of course, dear" He gets up "We will contact you as soon as we have the documents and make sure everything is fine with Ms. McCann's home" says to Melody as farewell, conscient that she may not longer be listening. "Spider, dear, could you call our two young boys and arrange the meeting? I have some work left to do here, but we can, perhaps, have lunch together before going on our asigment" He makes a gentle bow and opens the door, waiting for his cabalmate.


                        I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Simurgh
                          Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s): Shadow Walk: duration until late morning 10 September 2016, CW +2 (5)
                          Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 4/5 | Mana: 10/10 | Wisdom: 7 (Understanding)
                          Conditions: None | Tilts: None


                          "I hope your studies have been going well. I have a very important task for you both that I think will serve our Order well. But first, have you been learning anything or studying anything interesting of note?"

                          "Rebounds-on-Ground has developed some powers over frogs. In particular, it no longer needs a sprinkler or magical help to stay in its body."

                          "It started with this woman Melody knows, a Sleepwalker retainer of hers...I think her name is Jill? Anyway, Melody mentioned in passing that Jill has been having some odd occurrences at her home recently. From the sounds of it, Jill has been seeing odd marks around their home, almost like animal tracks, but unlike anything she's ever seen. From the information I've been able to gather, it also sounds like Sally -- that's her young daughter -- has reported seeing things at night near the house."

                          "The Mysterium has a number of mages who collect information about spirits and other supernatural creatures, especially the ones that interact with Sleepers. But few of them are able to, or choose to, manifest themselves in such a way that they're visible to the naked eye. If Sally has seen them, she might have a special kind of talent that allows her to detect supernatural creatures, which would be fascinating to study. Or, alternatively, these creatures may have interesting properties worth studying.

                          "I know a few Mystagogues who have been trying to catalogue spirit-related activity all around Denver. If you could contribute to their research, not only would it be a good opportunity for you to learn more about spirits for yourselves, but it could help you to build some relationships within the Order,"
                          Cadence explains. "I'd like you to go and investigate. I believe Melody has asked Spider and Ouroboros Ophis to go as well, to pick up some paperwork or something that Jill needed to pass on to the Free Council. But your presence would certainly be helpful to them." Cadence smiles again. "Do make sure you check on the girl, too. Try and ask her about what she's seen, but more importantly, how she has seen what she has. It might be quite enlightening."

                          "Check on the girl, find out if she has any talent for seeing Spirits, check on the Spirit or whatever it is. Got it."


                          Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Dr Luck
                            Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                            Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
                            Conditions:None | Tilts: None

                            OOC

                            I made a mistake with willpower, it should be 6 from composure 4 and resolve 2]


                            Dr Luck listened to Mr Cadence and told him of his projects.

                            "I have a couple of projects that I am working on. I am first writing a book about a young man who turns into a mage in modern times. It is about how he reacts to it, including his friends and such. I am not writing anything that takes down the veil, I am using an entirely new magic system. I am hoping to learn a lot more about spirits and write up a variant of them. One of the characters is a combat mage who uses the equivalant of Fate magic in battle. Very similar to Hexes, but it works against aliens, vampires, werewolves, spirits, and psychotic violent men and women who carry chainsaws. Then again, hex's do the same thing I believe. I want the book to be good, but not to violate the veil while at the same time I want it to be real enough for people who can awaken, and do awaken, to give them knowledge enough to make it to us. I want to mix Luck or Fate into my book."

                            Dr Luck lightly patted his head,

                            "I almost forgot. Simurgh wanted to find a way to strengthen our ability to work together as a cabal more efficiently by having shadow names all linked together. I was wondering if we could get help with that. I don't want to change my name."

                            Dr Luck listened to Cadences response on his book and Simurgh's request and repeated that the book would not break the veil, humanity would not know that mages walked the earth. He also requested, just to be on the safe side that Cadence read the chapters in the book, just to be on the safe side.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Simurgh
                              "Excellent! I hope that your familiar continues to be a source of assistance for you. Certainly it will be a good opportunity to learn about how spirits interact with each other." Cadence smiles at your summary. "Yes, yes, that's it. Do be careful, though. Remember, a mage's greatest strengths are preparation and foresight. I remember a time when I was newly Awakened..." Cadence's eyes are unfocused as he starts retelling a tale, at great length, about one of his early experiences with Supernatural beings back before he had much understanding of the way these creatures work and before he had learned to plan ahead for potentially dangerous situations. Fate magic had saved his life, but he seems to describe the harrowing experience with fondness.

                              It's a fascinating story. At least, it was the first time he told it to you both. You're pretty sure this is the fourth or fifth time he's shared this pearl of wisdom in as many weeks. It's gotten longer with each retelling, but the details are generally the same.


                              Dr. Luck
                              After Cadence finishes his longwinded story, he turns to you with a considering look. "You're certainly not the first mage to write about magic after their Awakening. It's an admirable goal, surely, to try and help others Awaken by planting seeds of truth and nourishing them over time. I have a few colleagues in the Silver Ladder who has made that their life ambition. You may even have read some of their work," he smiles knowingly. Cadence leans forward, a more serious expression on his face. "But please heed my advice, Dr. Luck. The Mysterium values knowledge, obtained through direct experience. We are responsible for sharing that knowledge when appropriate, or safekeeping it when revealing it may be dangerous or even catastrophic. You cannot lead from a position of ignorance. Write your story when you have time, but you must prioritize seeking actual knowledge. I think you will find that writing about half-truths, rather than seeking new truths, will lose its appeal with time. Perhaps I might be willing to look at your writing sometime in the future, but my availability is limited, and I would rather focus on instructing you about the Myesterium and your Path. As a fellow Acanthus, I believe I have much I could offer you. And I'm sure I can trust you to not violate the Veil," he frowns.

                              Cadence leans back and strokes his chin. "The idea of creating a cabal theme is certainly an interesting, and beneficial, investment. But it is an investment. It draws not just on your Shadow Names, but on your very magical identities -- who you are at the very core of your being. Most cabals do not meet the necessary requirements to fuel that power. Why, not even Kitpu, our Hierarch here in Denver, has this level of intimacy with his own cabal."

                              Cadence's voice takes on a gentle lecturing tone as he continues. "We of The Band made a conscious decision shortly after forming our cabal that we desired this level of connection, and were committed to the task. But we decided our Shadow Names in concert," he smiles at the pun, "and it took considerable time -- months of magical study and dedication -- before we reaped any benefits. Now, looking back, I am indebted to my mentor who urged me to consider this approach with my cabal. But know that it will take effort, by each of you, to reach that level of intimacy."

                              The older mage looks to Dr. Luck. "To be honest, I'm not sure you will be able to develop that group theme if you do not change your Shadow Name, Dr. Luck. I may be wrong. I've read some older manuscripts in our archives that suggest other cabals have managed the benefits without the same commitment to theme that my cabal has. But likely at least one other mage in your cabal would need to change their name, too, or the theme may still be too loose. The good news is that, as fledgling mages, your Shadow Names have not quite settled in so firmly that they cannot be changed with effort. The choice, ultimately, is yours."

                              Cadence leans back and smiles again. "Well, I've certainly kept you long enough. I'm sure Melody is finished with your colleagues by now. Let me know if you need anything else, and I will stay in touch as my schedule permits."

                              You can tell from Cadence's responses that he's not inclined to help you with reviewing your book. If you invest in the Mentor merit, he may be more willing and supportive, but it's outside of his interests currently. You can attempt to change that over time using Social Maneuvering, if you like.
                              Last edited by rwknoll; 08-02-2016, 09:09 AM.


                              My Games
                              Mage 2E: The Supernal Suburbia (IC / OOC) - Storyteller
                              Mage 2E: Mountains of Shadow (IC / OOC) - Storyteller and Bruiser, Thyrsus Arrow and Perfected Adept

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Dr Luck
                                Peripheral Sight | Active Spell(s):
                                Health: OOOOOOO | WP: 6/6 | Mana: 13/13 | Wisdom: 7
                                Conditions:None | Tilts: None


                                "Oh I promise that I will extend the Mysterium's knowledge base. I will do research for my book. The research I do will yield information, both for my book, and the Mysterium. I will learn and both myself and the Mysterium will benefit from my work. I do everything possible to me to write from direct experience."

                                "Yet beyond just the writing of the book is a magical working on the book. Whoever reads that book is magically effected. A minor blessing. To those who are to awaken, luck will guide them to us. To those who won't awaken, it will be a great read, and mind opening. Like you said it will be a seed, a seed that might grow them into a sleepwalker. Then again it might not, that is the nature of luck."

                                "Simurgh and I will talk to the others in our group about achieving that higher level of synergy. At some point today or tomorrow I would like to read those manuscripts if you don't mind. I would like the names of them please."



                                Dr Luck smiles at Cadence and shakes his hand when Cadence indicated the meeting was over. He turns to Simurgh and said,

                                "Let's call the others and make sure they all can make a meeting in a few minutes from now."


                                Spider and Ouroboros

                                You get a cell phone call from Dr Luck confirming a time and place for a meeting to discuss what happened in the meeting with Cadence.
                                Last edited by wtaylorjr2001; 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X