2016 Election Result Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Election Result Thread

Well, the results aren't in yet, but it's looking more and more like Donald Trump is going to be the next president. He's got a big lead in the electoral college and he's leading in most of the rest of the states that are still in play. I think there are a lot of lessons for the Democrats to take away from this campaign, starting with, don't run a candidate who's under such a cloud of scandals as Hillary was. I think the latest blowup over her emails that occurred last week was the final straw that caused a lot of Republicans, who had previously been considering not voting for Trump or Hillary to instead hold their nose and vote for Trump in order to keep Hillary out of the White House.

Well, the race is so close in so many states that regardless of who wins I expect it will be contested for a few days. But, it was certainly an interesting race and we are headed for some interesting times indeed.

Yeeeah...looks like it's pretty much all over. They're saying Hillary could still win the Popular vote, but what good would that do? And it's not just the Democrats who have some lessons to learn, it's also the Republican leaders have to do a LOT of rethinking about things, as they've pretty much lost control of their own Party. This is...pretty much the biggest upset in recent political history. Both Parties may well look *very* different from this point on...

Who else *could* the Dems have fronted, tho? Who would have had even this good of a chance? Is it really possible that she mainly lost just for being female, that a male candidate would have had a better chance?

Oh, and Repubs have control of BOTH Houses, as well...Now it's time for them to finally put their money where their mouths have been and PROVE that they will truly reach across and work with the other side. Good luck with that. Interesting times ahead, indeed...

Comment

Funnily enough, I was just telling someone earlier, that even if Trump should somehow win, the sun will still rise, we'll still get up and go to work, drink with friends, be with our families...America will still go on. Some things will likely be worse, but the general quality of life is not likely to change much, hopefully. Keep calm and carry on, as they say.

What are the chances of Obamacare actually being repealed now, tho?

Comment

And yeah, it looks like it's all over. President Donald J. Trump. Plus the Republicans have control over the House, and a majority in the Senate (there's still 2 seats up for grabs but Republicans already have 51 seats), so they'll be able to get a pretty hardcore conservative on the Supreme Court, which will grant them power over all three sections of the federal government for at least two years.

It's going to be very interesting to see where Trump and the Republican party steer the United States over the ensuring next several years.
        Last edited by AnubisXy; 11-09-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I would like to pray for those who will be hurt by this.

But my religion doesn't practice the ritual of prayer.

I would like to make a nice poem about this.

But my artistic skills don't feel very inspired right now.

I would like to hope for the well-being of those who will be hurt by this.

But I can barely muster an ember of hope for myself.

So, stay safe I guess.

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

"The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            Who else *could* the Dems have fronted, tho? Who would have had even this good of a chance? Is it really possible that she mainly lost just for being female, that a male candidate would have had a better chance?
            Hillary was under a number of black scandals (yes, many of them manufactured) but what's important isn't whether those scandals were true or false but that people believed them intensely. Hillary was one of the most disliked, distrusted and divisive political figures in America. I don't think it's "because she's a woman," but rather because she's done a lot of shady stuff and the Republicans have spent a lot of time and a lot money throwing as much mud on her as they possibly could over the course of many, many years.

I think Bernie Sanders or nearly any other Democrat would have been much more popular with middle America than Hillary was, and wouldn't have been so odious to conservatives that they would have been willing to vote for Trump in order to stop the Democrat. I mean, for example, there was a lot of talk that Hillary could have gotten Utah since the polls showed so many conservatives were unwilling to vote for Trump... right up until the email scandal broke again and many of those Republicans decided that Trump was the lesser of the two evils.

More interesting, I think, is that this showed the current method of political polling isn't accurate. The vast majority of polls showed Hillary with a sizable lead in many swing states that she ended up losing. Those polling companies will have to rethink how they conduct their polls because they ended up being a joke.
            Last edited by AnubisXy; 11-09-2016, 04:23 AM.

Comment

It looks like Clinton has conceded.

I.. I don't even know what's going to happen to me now.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to pieces of shit like Pence spending the next four years doing their darndest to undo all of the progress LGBTQ Americans have made happen.

Fucking kill me. I hate this nation.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Welp that makes my decision to throw my meager lot with those forces in the U.K. I respect over the U.S. and it's interests easy.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                    It's going to be very interesting to see where Trump and the Republican party steer the United States over the ensuring next several years.
                    Beware the curse of living in interesting times.
                    Originally posted by AnubisXy
                    I think Bernie Sanders or nearly any other Democrat would have been much more popular with middle America than Hillary was, and wouldn't have been so odious to conservatives that they would have been willing to vote for Trump in order to stop the Democrat.
                    Don't kid yourself. Bernie was as goofy as Trump. All he could possibly have accomplished was to drive down Democratic turnout. No. More than half of America knew exactly how vile Trump is -- and voted for him anyway. More than half of America knew how ignorant and incompetent Trump is -- and voted for him anyway.

​The American voter is in a "fuck-the-world" mood and no Democrat could have bucked that trend.

Originally posted by atamajakki
                    Fucking kill me. I hate this nation.
                    ​I'd like to say something supportive or comforting, but I can't.

​America is not special anymore. It is just a place on a map. It's just an empty slogan.
                    We have proven under Klieg lights for all the world to see that we are a nation of racist, misogynistic, xenophobes. We are no better than all the other racist, misogynistic, xenophobe countries we used chide.
                    ​We have betrayed the memory of those who were willing to sacrifice everything they cherished because they believed America was worth that sacrifice. We have betrayed our most basic ideals. We have betrayed ourselves. We have broken the faith.

For the first time in my life, I am profoundly ashamed to be an American.

Comment

Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post
                      Beware the curse of living in interesting times.

Don't kid yourself. Bernie was as goofy as Trump. All he could possibly have accomplished was to drive down Democratic turnout. No. More than half of America knew exactly how vile Trump is -- and voted for him anyway. More than half of America knew how ignorant and incompetent Trump is -- and voted for him anyway.

​The American voter is in a "fuck-the-world" mood and no Democrat could have bucked that trend.

​I'd like to say something supportive or comforting, but I can't.

​America is not special anymore. It is just a place on a map. It's just an empty slogan.
                      We have proven under Klieg lights for all the world to see that we are a nation of racist, misogynistic, xenophobes. We are no better than all the other racist, misogynistic, xenophobe countries we used chide.
                      ​We have betrayed the memory of those who were willing to sacrifice everything they cherished because they believed America was worth that sacrifice. We have betrayed our most basic ideals. We have betrayed ourselves. We have broken the faith.

For the first time in my life, I am profoundly ashamed to be an American.
                      Believe me, there is worst things out there than not being a complete social justice warrior.

source:i'm brazilian.

Honestly, Trump sounded like the second coming of Franklin Roosevelt to you guys. Guess only time will tell.

Comment

Well, okay.

I don't think everything will explode. This is not the end of the world. But I do think many things will get significantly harder for a significant amount of people in the USA who have historically had it really hard already.

I think the most important message here is that the nationalistic, reactionary movement, not only in the USA but in Europe as well, is not a fringe one. It is strong enough to take prime spots in European governments, and now elect a president in the USA. This tendency (speaking as someone who won't have to be directly impacted by by being, y'know, actually ruled by Trump) is probably what scares me the most about this.

I have some thinking to do.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

This cracked article from October tries to make you understand. From the outside this was lost because he was able to divide the working class, while not loosing enough in his base.

Comment

I am so disappointed in my country. At least I did my part and voted for Hillary Clinton. And she did win my home state of Virginia, unfortunately she didn't win the country.

We are so boned.

Comment

I'm kind of done for the next two years. I'm going to mentally hide in Creation until Midterms start.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X