No announcement yet.

2016 Election Result Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy shit guys, can someone tell me what's happening in Seattle? I have an uncle who lives there and I heard there were polling stations attacked in Washington State- we haven't heard from him yet today. I'm Canadian, and my mother, who is an unflappable, almost fearless, woman was begging me to stay quiet and keep my head down in public today. There are Americans I know on social media who have said in the past months they'd kill themselves if Trump won, and I haven't heard from them at all since yesterday.

Please, stay safe out there guys.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
      Yeeeah...looks like it's pretty much all over. They're saying Hillary could still win the Popular vote, but what good would that do? And it's not just the Democrats who have some lessons to learn, it's also the Republican leaders have to do a LOT of rethinking about things, as they've pretty much lost control of their own Party. This is...pretty much the biggest upset in recent political history. Both Parties may well look *very* different from this point on...

Who else *could* the Dems have fronted, tho? Who would have had even this good of a chance? Is it really possible that she mainly lost just for being female, that a male candidate would have had a better chance?

Oh, and Repubs have control of BOTH Houses, as well...Now it's time for them to finally put their money where their mouths have been and PROVE that they will truly reach across and work with the other side. Good luck with that. Interesting times ahead, indeed...
      No it has absolutely nothing to do with her being a woman. She actually won more votes then Trump and that was with all the horrible scandals swimming around her. Its your stupid electoral college system.

You can actually get the most votes and lose the election. Why do you Americans even call yourselves a democracy, when your system is so broken and in need of reform, but you act like I'm just talking shit when I tell you this and then you end up with President Trump, a man who called his own daughter a piece of ass, a man who have been bankurpt mutliple times, a man who was actually a wrestler for a time, and not a cool once like the former governor, ect...

And the democrats didn't help anything by picking one of the most scandal ridden people in America and one of the least popular women in America. Was Anthony Weiner unavailable.

You could have had Bernie Sanders, if the Democracts had picked him it'd be President Sanders, not President Trump and it could have been a race on policy, instead of a contest on who is the least popular asshole in America. Heck if you wanted a female President that badly Elizabeth Warren could a have run, or hell pick a random female name from a phone book and they could have beaten Trump.

The DNC has alot to answer for.

So don't you dare hide behind blame well it was because she was a woman, you guys knew how unpopular this particular woman was when you picked, you allowed a corrupt DNC to run roughshed right all over you, so take responsiblity, Trump is as much the Democracts responsiblity as he is the Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
        Holy shit guys, can someone tell me what's happening in Seattle? I have an uncle who lives there and I heard there were polling stations attacked in Washington State- we haven't heard from him yet today. I'm Canadian, and my mother, who is an unflappable, almost fearless, woman was begging me to stay quiet and keep my head down in public today. There are Americans I know on social media who have said in the past months they'd kill themselves if Trump won, and I haven't heard from them at all since yesterday.

Please, stay safe out there guys.
        This is fucked up, I'm been on the losing side in every single election I've been involved in, in Canada and I never got suicidal over it, depressed sure, but that cames with the territory as an NDP supporter.

My first reaction upon hearing Trump won was laughing my ass off, the Americans had actually done it, they'd picked Trump to be President, I never thought you'd really do it, heck for awhile I she'd win by a landslide, desipte all the Scandals.

Side note NDP leader Mulcair actually pushed to have Donald Trump banned from Canada, can you image how Akward it would be if Canada had banned Trump from entering the Country. You actual picked the guy who was almost banned from Canada.

Justin Trudeau must be shitting himself, his Prime Ministership just turned from a dream into a nightmare.

Comment

Yup, it's all over, say hello to President Trump, God help us all.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
            I'm kind of done for the next two years. I'm going to mentally hide in Creation until Midterms start.
            Got room in your Manse for one more?

I went to bed last night when it was all but over, sleeping and waking up with the desperate hope that the last numbers would come in and give her a surprise victory. I wanted to live in that hope a little longer, but had to turn on the tv and find out if the cat was alive or dead...

Again, it's not the end of the world or America. Hell, who knows, Trump could turn out to be the best thing to happen at this time, and 4-8 years from now, we might not believe that we actually voted against him! Doubtful, but who knows what the future brings...

I guess the best we can hope for is that if/when Trump doesn't keep his promises, the popular movement that elected him turns on him...or he says/does something so incredibly bad/stupid that he's impeached out of office/resigns.

Originally posted by Weimann
            I think the most important message here is that the nationalistic, reactionary movement, not only in the USA but in Europe as well, is not a fringe one. It is strong enough to take prime spots in European governments, and now elect a president in the USA.
            I remember a shaken Jon Stewart asking, after the Republicans took Congress in a sweep awhile back, if this means that we Liberal Progressives really aren't the dominant majority of Americans as we believed. Are we really just a delusional minority? Is America really mostly made up of bible-thumping, backwards-looking folk who just don't understand how they're being used to elect people who aren't really like them and don't really care about them?

It's looking like the answer is, increasingly, "Yes".

Comment

Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post

We have proven under Klieg lights for all the world to see that we are a nation of racist, misogynistic, xenophobes. We are no better than all the other racist, misogynistic, xenophobe countries we used chide..
              This is really the worst, scariest part of this whole thing, to me. Regardless of what Trump does from now on, he won by appealing to the worst parts of mankind...and it paid off. Nothing succeeds like success. So, is this the new norm for political realities? Appeal not to the best aspirations of the people, but the lowest fears and hates they have? Politics has always been a dirty biz, yes, but THIS...It's telling that even the majority of Republicans were shocked and disgusted by his campaign, BUT...he gave them victory, so they have to play ball. And will they adapt by deciding that this is what works, and sink to an even lower level?

Worst still, will the politicians after Trump use the ugly, negative passions he revealed and tapped into for even more destructive ends in the future? I don't wanna Godwin this thread, but...it's not looking good.

Comment

Got room in your Manse for one more?
                Sure. My manse is infinitely large.

We just need to make an oath we don't kill each other and become Deathlords.

I guess the best we can hope for is that if/when Trump doesn't keep his promises, the popular movement that elected him turns on him...or he says/does something so incredibly bad/stupid that he's impeached out of office/resigns.
                Yeah. I'm hoping for a Bush scenario. Bush was all Jesus and the Second Coming and as soon as he was elected, he dropped it.

I remember a shaken Jon Stewart asking, after the Republicans took Congress in a sweep awhile back, if this means that we Liberal Progressives really aren't the dominant majority of Americans as we believed. Are we really just a delusional minority? Is America really mostly made up of bible-thumping, backwards-looking folk who just don't understand how they're being used to elect people who aren't really like them and don't really care about them?

It's looking like the answer is, increasingly, "Yes".
                I think the country is split down the middle. The issue we liberals have is we don't respect authority as the conservatives do. Getting us to vote for one individual is like herding cats. I remember during Obama's reelection, some of the younger liberals were voting third party because he supported some anti-piracy bill or something.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Interesting little note from CGP Grey.
                  Last edited by Weimann; 11-09-2016, 11:02 AM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ite-women.html

His female and Latino votes were larger then I expected. 33% of Latino men, 26% of Latino Women, 32% of others and 52% White Women voted for Trump.

That's not a majority of Latinos, but its not not a tiny amount either, unlike his black vote which was small, just 13% black men and 4% black women.

Still the election was close enough that Trump could not have won just on his white votes alone, so remember that before pointing fingers at white folks, they weren't alone in voting Trump.

For the record, if Canada had voted, Trump would have lost by a massive margin, only 7% of Canadian support Trump.
                    Last edited by Omegaphallic; 11-09-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

No it has absolutely nothing to do with her being a woman. She actually won more votes then Trump and that was with all the horrible scandals swimming around her. Its your stupid electoral college system.

You can actually get the most votes and lose the election. Why do you Americans even call yourselves a democracy, when your system is so broken and in need of reform, but you act like I'm just talking shit when I tell you this and then you end up with President Trump, a man who called his own daughter a piece of ass, a man who have been bankurpt mutliple times, a man who was actually a wrestler for a time, and not a cool once like the former governor, ect...

And the democrats didn't help anything by picking one of the most scandal ridden people in America and one of the least popular women in America. Was Anthony Weiner unavailable.

You could have had Bernie Sanders, if the Democracts had picked him it'd be President Sanders, not President Trump and it could have been a race on policy, instead of a contest on who is the least popular asshole in America. Heck if you wanted a female President that badly Elizabeth Warren could a have run, or hell pick a random female name from a phone book and they could have beaten Trump.

The DNC has alot to answer for.

So don't you dare hide behind blame well it was because she was a woman, you guys knew how unpopular this particular woman was when you picked, you allowed a corrupt DNC to run roughshed right all over you, so take responsiblity, Trump is as much the Democracts responsiblity as he is the Republicans.
                      No, the reason Bernie lost was because he was less popular. Don't both-sides us here; thanks to Assange, the DNC is one of the most transparent institutions in the world, and from there, it's quite clear they had no ability to control the vote. Only one candidate actually was made the nominee based on explicit racism, and it's not her.

Blame the GOTV campaign and the inability to emphasize with rural voters, not the primary. Truth is, Bernie would probably have lost worse due to his unpopularity with women, and the fact is that what really got Clinton was low turnout of Democrats.

So, we do as what losing parties do-we take inventory of what actually went wrong, rework a plan, find a better candidate-maybe it will be Warren this time, who knows maybe it's Bernie-and actually work on the mid-terms. Also, better media plan. That's the big one.

EDIT: Also, I don't think Stewart was right-what screwed us over was the fucking electoral college.

Who came up with that anyway, and what do I have to do to build a necromancy machine to bring him back so I can break his nose? Five times?
                      Last edited by Leliel; 11-09-2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post

Don't kid yourself. Bernie was as goofy as Trump. All he could possibly have accomplished was to drive down Democratic turnout. No. More than half of America knew exactly how vile Trump is -- and voted for him anyway. More than half of America knew how ignorant and incompetent Trump is -- and voted for him anyway.
                        Again, most of the exit polls showed less than 40% of voters who voted for Trump say they did so because they were excited about Trump. Almost 1/3rd of such voters said they voted for Trump because they though Hillary was corrupt and were voting to keep her out of office. The last 3rd voted for him because he was the Republican candidate, not because he reflected their values. In the end, most Americans decided that Trump was the lesser of the two evils, and I can't necessarily say that they were wrong - I've long railed against the Washington political establishment and there is no one who represents that more than Hillary.

I think if the Democrats had run a candidate who wasn't as widely despised, disliked, distrusted and divisive as Hillary they would have won the election. But they managed to choose the one candidate that many Americans saw as more unpalatable than Trump. Really, at the end of the day, the election results were less of a vote for Trump and more of a vote against Hillary.

Hopefully the Democrats learn from this and choose a better candidate in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

No, the reason Bernie lost was because he was less popular. Don't both-sides us here; thanks to Assange, the DNC is one of the most transparent institutions in the world, and from there, it's quite clear they had no ability to control the vote. Only one candidate actually was made the nominee based on explicit racism, and it's not her.

Blame the GOTV campaign and the inability to emphasize with rural voters, not the primary. Truth is, Bernie would probably have lost worse due to his unpopularity with women, and the fact is that what really got Clinton was low turnout of Democrats.

So, we do as what losing parties do-we take inventory of what actually went wrong, rework a plan, find a better candidate-maybe it will be Warren this time, who knows maybe it's Bernie-and actually work on the mid-terms. Also, better media plan. That's the big one.

EDIT: Also, I don't think Stewart was right-what screwed us over was the fucking electoral college.

Who came up with that anyway, and what do I have to do to build a necromancy machine to bring him back so I can break his nose? Five times?
                          Its not the first time the electoral college has fucked democracts, I believe it happened during one of the George W Bush elections as well, but I don't remember which.

Comment

Trump is a fucking idiot, but what scares me infinitely more is a bigoted piece of shit like Pence being rewarded for a career spent oppressing queer folks with the #2 spot in American politics.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Its not the first time the electoral college has fucked democracts, I believe it happened during one of the George W Bush elections as well, but I don't remember which.
                              The first one. Thank's for nothing, Nader.

Comment

https://youtu.be/Uc-7qmEtFTQ

Young Turks on the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X