2016 Election Result Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not.. to me.

I have a lot of friends in the Russian Diaspora. The majority of them hate Putin and didn't like Trump's talk on Putin during the election.
    Most of those friends are also Russian American Jews, and they really don't like Putin's support for Syria and facilitating the pipeline of weapons into Lebanon to fuel Hezbollah.
    I'm a Jewish American, and a Zionist, and Trump's mindless caving to AIPAC's bullshit doesn't make me or any of my Zionist friends happy as AIPAC continues to pull their "support the ruling party in Israel or you're an anti-Semite" nonsense no matter how horrible BeBe is being.
    Losing people in 9/11 and whichever airport bombing you're talking about doesn't really say, "vote for the guy the anti-terrorism agencies of the US all pretty much decried as being horrible on actual anti-terrorism policies."

So yeah, that doesn't outline a sufficient case to me in the slightest.

Comment

• Okay, see, I know you're lying. Because, I don't know what part of the US you're from, but the Russian diaspora in NYC voted for Trump AND they support Putin, because he is a strong leader.. The Middle-Eastern Jews predominantly voted for Trump.

Also - unless you ever lost someone in a terror attack, you never get to judge. Like, literally never. I'm not going to go into details of why I think so, but "horrible anti-terrorism" policies are better than the ones before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver_Smoulder View Post
        Okay, see, I know you're lying.
        Nope, you just know what you can see with your head up your ass.

You do realize that south Brooklyn does not actually represent all American Russian Jews right?

Because, I don't know what part of the US you're from, but the Russian diaspora in NYC voted for Trump AND they support Putin, because he is a strong leader.
        And the Philly Russian Diaspora voted Clinton and hate Putin. So yeah, wow, people aren't monolithic groups, and just saying, "I'm an American Russian Jew from Brooklyn that's a Zionist" doesn't actually mean, "it's clear that Trump was my guy!" Especially since the age spread in your demographic there wasn't exactly even.

70% of Jews voted Clinton, 25% voted Trump... and that 25% is not a solid block of Russian American Jews.

The Middle-Eastern Jews predominantly voted for Trump.
        I can't find any reports that back up this claim. Given that the Mizrahi American Jewish community is so small, reliable polling is going to be extremely difficult. Can you point me to a source here?

Also - unless you ever lost someone in a terror attack, you never get to judge.
        Goody. I get to judge. Though I didn't actually judge anything there. I made the point that "lost friends to terror attacks" doesn't mean, "vote for the guy that experts all say will be crappy for preventing more terror attacks."

I'm not going to go into details of why I think so, but "horrible anti-terrorism" policies are better than the ones before.
        Considering "horrible" in this case means, "are high risk to allow more attacks," I think this does merit more detail to lend credence to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver_Smoulder View Post
          Okay, see, I know you're lying. Because, I don't know what part of the US you're from, but the Russian diaspora in NYC voted for Trump AND they support Putin, because he is a strong leader.. The Middle-Eastern Jews predominantly voted for Trump.

Also - unless you ever lost someone in a terror attack, you never get to judge. Like, literally never. I'm not going to go into details of why I think so, but "horrible anti-terrorism" policies are better than the ones before.
          I'm not part of the Eastern European Jewish diaspora, nor do I have friends/family in Israel, nor did I lose any family members in the 9/11 attacks, nor do I work in counter terrorism.

My best friend is all of those things though, and I have obtained his permission to tell you that he goddamn despises Trump.

Comment

• To be a bit fair, I'm half Ukrainian by ethnicity, which qualifies me as half Eastern European, but that half of the family being from the solidly "Ukrainian, not Russian there's a difference," side of Ukraine provides me with a very different cultural attitude regarding Putin and how Trump's talk about Putin and Russia impacts my feelings towards him compared to the current climate in the more recent Russian Jewish immigration to south Brooklyn.

There is also a lot of differences between the Jews that came from Russia to the US after the fall of the Tsars, after WII and the Stalin purges, and after the fall of the Soviet Union regarding a number of political issues.

Comment

Working...
            X