2016 Election Result Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    I'd actually never heard the phrase "Polish Death Camp" before reading your post. I don't think (most of) the USA "insists" on anything - it's just a mistake.
    I'm only one data point, but I'm an American with a history degree and I cannot recall ever hearing "Polish Death Camp" used in any context.

Are they anything like "Holocaust Centers"?

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Unfortunately it's an old school term that was popular back during the 50's and 60's in America (and other Western nations).
      So that would mean that it's a term that's not generally used by anyone under the age 60... and mostly used by people in the 60-80 range. That would explain why I'm not familiar with it.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• Why are we dropping bombs on Afghanistan now?

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Now? I guess you didn't notice the US has spent more than a decade and a half dropping bombs in Afghanistan?

*EDIT* Just to expand on this, the war in Afghanistan is at its lowest point since it started. The Taliban and now ISIS control around 1/3rd of the country. This is more than at any time since we first invaded the country. Honestly, Obama spent 8 years mostly dropped bombs and it didn't work. I don't think dropping more bombs, even if they're bigger bombs, is going to do much. But I also don't believe Trump is interested in sending in sending a bunch of soldiers back to Afghanistan, which is the only way we could reasonably drive out ISIS and the Taliban again, and even then they would probably come back in a few years anyhow.
          Last edited by AnubisXy; 04-13-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
            So that would mean that it's a term that's not generally used by anyone under the age 60... and mostly used by people in the 60-80 range. That would explain why I'm not familiar with it.

Sadly, it seems that it's still in use by journalists and other people who write about history. Which makes sense, as these 60+ people would train new ones and spread it to them. Again, our embassy made it pretty much their main job to hunt abuses of these terms and demanding to correct them, so if they are doing their job right, they should be corrected fairly quickly after publication.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post

Sadly, it seems that it's still in use by journalists and other people who write about history. Which makes sense, as these 60+ people would train new ones and spread it to them. Again, our embassy made it pretty much their main job to hunt abuses of these terms and demanding to correct them, so if they are doing their job right, they should be corrected fairly quickly after publication.
              Can you cite some instances of its use? I'm not saying you're wrong, but like I said I'm an American who actively studies history and I've literally never encountered that turn of phrase anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                Why are we dropping bombs on Afghanistan now?
                We never stopped dropping bombs on Afghanistan. We've been dropping bombs on Afghanistan for over fifteen years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                  Can you cite some instances of its use? I'm not saying you're wrong, but like I said I'm an American who actively studies history and I've literally never encountered that turn of phrase anywhere.
                  Well, there was an article about it linked earlier here. One of cases that isn't mentioned in there was FBI director James Comey suggesting that Poland was conducting holocaust along Germany and Hungary.

In their minds, the murderers and accomplices of Germany, and Poland, and Hungary, and so many, many other places didn’t do something evil. They convinced themselves it was the right thing to do, the thing they had to do. That’s what people do. And that should truly frighten us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.28818e14ee82

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                    Well, there was an article about it linked earlier here. One of cases that isn't mentioned in there was FBI director James Comey suggesting that Poland was conducting holocaust along Germany and Hungary.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.28818e14ee82
                    I'd call that more a matter of poor phrasing than anything. It places Germany at the forefront of guilt while acknowledging that they did have accomplices in Poland and Hungary who are likewise complicit. Its not laying the death camps at the feet of Poland.

Comment

• I knew we still had troops in Afghanistan, but I didn't realize we were still dropping bombs.

Also, why am I trying to engage conservatives on Ted Cruz's Facebook page in dailogue? I'll probably just end up pissing off both sides.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                        I knew we still had troops in Afghanistan, but I didn't realize we were still dropping bombs.
                        A lot of missiles as well.

Afghanistan is where there are also many US drones in active use taking out terrorists... you know, the one where children are afraid of the clear blue sky, because that's when the US blows up people.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• Kids there are also afraid of going to markets and anywhere else with crowds because those terrorists love setting off suicide bombs.

Sadly at the end of the day, Afghanistan is a shitshow and there's no easy solution. At the least, I think withdrawing and allowing the Taliban and ISIS to take control over the country would probably be the worst outcome, though unfortunately staying there for the next 10, or 20, or 30, or 100 years seems to be the only other real choice on the table.

Comment

• The reports that Russia may have begun providing support to the Taliban have a certain gruesome irony to them. Those tables never stop turning.

Comment

Working...
                            X