Return to Stores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Stores

I would really like to see the WoD/CoD books return to physical stores. Am I alone in this? Are there any plans at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox plans to put WoD books back on store shelves. I would be pretty surprised, however, if Onyx Path started doing traditional printing for CofD books again any time soon. Like, it would be a pleasent surprise cause that would be a sure sign they're selling well enough to justify it. But I'm not super optimistic about it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I don't think non-Paizo/Wizards companies distributing physical RPG books to stores is really a moneymaker in 2016 barring a huge sea change in how tabletop consumers buy products.

I remember reading a copy of Night Horrors: the Unbidden of all things on a Borders shelf in 2009 or so (and not buying it- lol!), which feels like something from another life at this point.

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

Traditional print runs are hilariously expensive, and unless you're one of the biggest names in the biz it just isn't really feasible. I know a lot of stores get their stuff PoD now and then toss them on the shelves.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

You're definitely not alone, and I'm sure the folks at Onyx Path feel the same way. It's business practicalities that get in the way of CoD books on Amazon and in bookstores, not a lack of will. Between Onyx Path's small scale with full-time employees in the single digits, the investment cost and risks involved in renting and stocking warehouse space with units of books you can't recoup if they don't sell, and Paradox Interactive's likely hesitation to okay a decision to confuse their brand recognition on store shelves by stocking another distinct Darkness line that still shares various setting and rules concepts with their One World of Darkness, I'd say it's really unlikely to happen anywhere in the near future.

WoD books are a different story. Paradox's new White Wolf Publishing team would probably want to push books (and whatever else they produce) out on the market, and with ownership of the property and a larger scale, established company backing them, there are pretty reasonable odds they might be able to make it happen.

Comment

It's worth keeping an eye on Scion 2e.

Scion is going to be Onyx Path's first solo game. They're not licensing from another company, or publishing something for one of their regular contributors.

And one of the big things they did with this? The Kickstarter was to fund their into getting Scion 2e into stores rather than fora deluxe edition like their WoD/CofD/Pugmire Kickstarters.

So if this goes well for them, we could see Onyx Path in stores. It doesn't bode well for Exalted or CofD (since Paradox/White Wolf own those still, and has final say over such things, and they don't seem interested in pushing those games hard while they work on the next edition of WoD), but if Onyx Path proves they can move books in retail outlets it might shift things.

Comment

Scarred Lands 2e, Pugmire, and Scion 2e were all Kickstarters with the goal of getting the books into stores after doing a traditional (non-Prestige or Deluxe) print run. Getting into stores is not the holy grail for us, though. Quite the opposite, in fact, so we need to have this part of our sales efforts still make sense with our business model. There are still a whole lot of downsides to the old three-tier distribution model for us sufficient to make me ultra-careful about how to integrate getting books into stores. But those retailers and distributors who can work with us and appreciate that times have changed and how we need to get games to folks has changed/expanded? Those folks we're thrilled to work with.

Comment

I would love to see that happen.Just not sure it will.

Comment

I eventually bought my copy of the Ventrue clanbook for Requiem from Books-A-Million. I say eventually because it sat on the same shelf for over a year before I finally decided to splurge. It was already practically on layaway considering the number of times I'd leafed through it in that time. By the same token, a couple friends of mine bought Winter Masques from B&N as soon as it hit the shelves, which made B&N assume it was a hot item and immediately stock three more copies. I bought one of them (years later) and the others are to my knowledge still there.

Niche markets are tough in a brick and mortar format.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                    a couple friends of mine bought Winter Masques from B&N as soon as it hit the shelves, which made B&N assume it was a hot item and immediately stock three more copies. I bought one of them (years later) and the others are to my knowledge still there.
                    Considering that the first printing of Autumn Nightmares sold out in less than a month, that might not have been a bad bet. Just one that didn't pay out, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by etherial View Post
                      Considering that the first printing of Autumn Nightmares sold out in less than a month, that might not have been a bad bet. Just one that didn't pay out, apparently.
                      Capitalism is a fickle mistress.

Comment

Working...
                      X