Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Collapse of Neo-Liberalism and Globalism

https://youtu.be/-K8bf6dbYt4

The system is beginning to collapse, this is how you end up with Greece, Britexit, Trump and so much more. Its going to get worse and its not going to just be America either.

Ha. Globalization isn't going to stop. People might push back against it, but it can't be prevented. We're talking to each other instantly from two different countries right now. Folks who think industry can stay in the 20th century while communication is solidly in the 21st are deluding themselves. It's not even the way of the future any more, it's the way of the present, and no amount of right-wing pushback is going to change that.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      ...and no amount of right-wing pushback is going to change that.
      Not all of the pushback is coming from the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Azenogoth View Post
        Not all of the pushback is coming from the right.
        Ok. That doesn't have any impact on my point.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Ok. That doesn't have any impact on my point.

Perhaps. But it might give you reason to not use such a large and self serving brush when throwing about the condescension.

Differing sides of an issue can have common cause, even if they differ in why globalism is not a panacea of good.

Contrary to your opinion, globalism can indeed be halted, or even rolled back. However, it is highly unlikely due to the costs that would entail.

Too many people have grown accustomed to their comfort, and they would not welcome attempts at lessening it for the sake of freedom, ecological preservation, sovereignty, sharing the wealth, or other causes.

Comment

Perhaps. But it might give you reason to not use such a large and self serving brush when throwing about the condescension.
            I only said left-wing in contrast to the thread title heralding "the collapse of neo-liberalism." If I'm being condescending it's in response to condescension. Although, I certainly didn't mean to condescend - the mention of left-wing is ultimately completely irrelevant to the point. Left-wing, right-wing, whatever, you're fooling yourself if you think globalism is going to go away.

Differing sides of an issue can have common cause, even if they differ in why globalism is not a panacea of good.
            Now who's being condescending? I never made any value judgment on globalism, let alone propped it up as a panacea of good. All I'm saying is,regardless of your opinion of it, it's the way the world works now. We can adapt to it, or we can end up like every civilization that doesn't adapt when its social and economic climate changes.

Contrary to your opinion, globalism can indeed be halted, or even rolled back. However, it is highly unlikely due to the costs that would entail.
            Oh, sure, if people are stubborn, they can slow it down, or even regress it a bit, but there's no stopping it. Not permanently.

Too many people have grown accustomed to their comfort, and they would not welcome attempts at lessening it for the sake of freedom, ecological preservation, sovereignty, sharing the wealth, or other causes.
            Not gonna go there.
            Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-25-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Globalism to one degree or another is pretty much inevitable. That said, there good methods in which globalism can be implemented and far worse ones. In the worst ways, globalism helps only a handful of people who make vast profits off the backs of the masses. Hopefully some of the recent happenings will serve as important reminders that nations cannot put globalism before the good of their own citizens, and they rethink how to approach globalism in ways that don't leave many of their own citizens behind.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                Globalism to one degree or another is pretty much inevitable. That said, there good methods in which globalism can be implemented and far worse ones. In the worst ways, globalism helps only a handful of people who make vast profits off the backs of the masses. Hopefully some of the recent happenings will serve as important reminders that nations cannot put globalism before the good of their own citizens, and they rethink how to approach globalism in ways that don't leave many of their own citizens behind.
                Indeed, can't argue with that.
                Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-25-2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It took the First World War to slow globalization's roll a century ago. Anything short of that probably isn't going to make a meaningful difference.

Comment

Yeah, globalism is a bipartisan reality that both sides of the aisle can't, and quite frankly, won't attempt to stop in any meaningful way short of nuclear war occurring and throwing us all back into the Dark Ages. Honestly, the only really interesting about this new wave of protectionism is that it seems to have started from the bottom instead of the top. Rural farmers, steelworkers, the automotive industry, union workers, and the like getting together and turning their resentment into a central issue of modern politics. Besides that through, I see it going down in the history books as the Lost Cause of the Rust Belt that achieved nothing but get a populist (one that I doubt will keep his promises) elected.

​Fact is globalism and neoliberalism is to the modern West what colonialism was to Europe during the Age of Exploration. A God-blessed gravy train that's making rich nations richer. We should just be grateful (and ashamed) that we're the one's making a good profit out of it.

Comment

I mean certain elements of Globalism, like countries becoming more protectionist in immigration policy and trade agreements, as well as rejection of Neo Liberalism.

Comment

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opi...service=mobile

I tend to not like Marget Wente, she's a known plagurist, but her column makes a good point here.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                          It took the First World War to slow globalization's roll a century ago. Anything short of that probably isn't going to make a meaningful difference.
                          George Carlin on war & making a global difference.
                          Starts at about the 3:00 mark.

The Midnight Oil on 98.1 FM HOWL RADIO - https://twitter.com/AzraelFirestorm?s=09

Comment

I look around the world at the politics in France for instance, where Fillion is so radically right wing and social conservative, Le Penn seems like a bleeding heart left by comparesion.

Where in Austria the battle for the Presidency was between the Greens and the Far Right, instead of the usual players, with the Greens winning their first Presidency via popular vote ever.

In South Korea massive demonstrations against the President of South Korea, who makes Hillary Clinton look like the Queen of Popularity.

Icelands looking like it will end up with a coalition government headed by the Pirate's Party (Yo Ho and a Bottle Rum!).

Chancellor Merkel is running scared in Germany

Britexit.

President Trump.

The system is destablizing and anything is possible

Comment

In Italy is looks like Beppe Grillo and has highly Euroskeptic movement will be taking over Italy. He's gone on the record saying he'd like to have something like the Brexit referendum for Italian voters.

Heck, Merkel just suggested that Germany should ban full bodied burka's, not so much because she really believes that, but because she realizes that the blowback from the EU's immigration policies could cost her her reelection and possibly cause more countries to leave the EU.

She's definitely seeing the threat.

Comment

Working...
                              X