The Critical Role Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Critical Role Thread

I was pondering whether one thread would be for nonspoiler discussion and one for Spoilers but well spoilers are intertwined...

So Critical Role is a broadcast of the weekly D&D game of a bunch of Nerdy Ass Voice Actors with Matt Mercer as the Dungeon Master. It is damn good, Matt Mercer (He was Leon in Resident Evil and a billion other roles), so it also includes Laura Bailey ( the voice of Kid Trunks, Shinchan, Lust from Full Metal Alchemist, and a bunch of Video game roles), Her husband Travis Willingham (He was the voice of Mustang in Full Metal Alchemist, Thor in the Avengers Assemble Cartoon, and a lot of other roles, like a Greaser Robert Duval beat up in 2nd hand Lions).

Its a great show, you can find it at the Geek and Sundry Website, Twitch TV or Youtube.
    http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rKwXTvJtcqFB8i

Its a fun show and long running. And while I wish it was a whitewolf game they are playing Matt Mercer is a brilliant and skilled game master and brings a lot of quick thinking and system fidelity to the table. They break the fourth wall a lot, but they also have emotional scenes, and they have fantastic fan art! Go and watch it!! I finally caught up!

So without Further ado the Spoilery Discussions lie ahead!

SPOILER DISCUSSIONS!!

So I caught up! I'm sad Tiberius isn't with the party anymore actually, him and Grog had the most interesting in character moments!

Big question! Anyone else feel Taliesin Jaffe cheats? Maybe not intentionally but his friggin metal dice are not balanced, all the other guys at the table notice and comment on it, he regularly rolls natural twenties, sometimes like 5+ a night! Others commented he had a high roll when he rolled another dice set, but that does nothing to make me think he doesn't cheat...

I also think Wil Wheaton cheats, I believe he purposely tries to make it seem like he rolls impossibly poorly as a showman trick....

Besides that I think it would be fun to have the Vox Machina party in an Exalted game as a bunch of Fairfolk or something.

I never really read D&D so I only get the jist of the rules and the setting. So like a rating of 10 is average human in a trait? What is the in character explanation for the party after killing some goblins all of the sudden they know more spells and can cook or whatever. It feels to much like a videogame, I don't understand how powers even work in D&D, most things are spells? I don't get how for instance Vex learns new ranger powers? Some people in the world just randomly have magic powers in D&D?

They also seem to ignore that Tiberius had excellent Charisma, he shouldn't have been treated so much like a goof, and Percy tries to be a world class genius, but he chooses battle stats like Dexterity over Intelligence or Wisdom.

Thoughts?

It is a time for great deeds!

Surprised to see this lacking responses! I'm an avid fan; I watch the show proper and the aftershow every week. I think it's great stuff.

Its a fun show and long running. And while I wish it was a whitewolf game they are playing Matt Mercer is a brilliant and skilled game master and brings a lot of quick thinking and system fidelity to the table. They break the fourth wall a lot, but they also have emotional scenes, and they have fantastic fan art! Go and watch it!! I finally caught up!
    Worth noting that Taliesin Jaffe is an old-school VtM and WtA player, who has expressed interest several times in running a one-shot for the rest of the group once he familiarises himself with V20 rules: so you might get your wish after all there ;D I personally think the group might enjoy Changeling or something else instead, but we'll see.

Big question! Anyone else feel Taliesin Jaffe cheats?
    Matt has said before (I think on twitter? Maybe on the subreddit...I could find it if I looked) that the only player who cheats 'is no longer at the table', i.e it was Orion, and he has actually made Tal switch out his dice before. I think it's just luck + the fact that everyone pays more attention to his nat 20s than anyone else's, since they expect him to have them. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing. I do recall an instance in the Feywild arc where Taliesin rolled with Marisha's dice after she'd rolled several 1s in quick succession, though...and rolled a 20 with them. He's not cheating; I think he's just a witch.

They also seem to ignore that Tiberius had excellent Charisma, he shouldn't have been treated so much like a goof, and Percy tries to be a world class genius, but he chooses battle stats like Dexterity over Intelligence or Wisdom.
    I think it's a consequence of each class having certain dump stats more than anything. Tibs was a sorcerer, so he needed high Charisma, but he never really felt like he should have it. I still think he would have been better as a Wizard. Still, I have a sorcerer with 18 Cha in my PF game, and he's also an awkward creature. Percy is more interesting: iirc Taliesin has said that Percy is a man who thinks he is a genius, but is very much not, making that stat choice more acceptable imo. [VAGUE SPOILERS] You recall that his hubris here came back to bite him in the end. But a lot of this comes down to the relative lack of customisation one can do in 5e/PF.

Anyway! Apologies for bumping, but I do love this silly show. Worth a watch.

Comment

I only recently discovered the show and I am binge watching it to catch up (last episode I saw was the 60th, the first with a live audience) I love it to pieces.

How do you wanna do this?

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
        I only recently discovered the show and I am binge watching it to catch up (last episode I saw was the 60th, the first with a live audience) I love it to pieces.

How do you wanna do this?
        Same, though I'm not quite that far in yet. Thanks Eldagusto for recommending it!

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by anomalocaris View Post
          Surprised to see this lacking responses! I'm an avid fan; I watch the show proper and the aftershow every week. I think it's great stuff.

Worth noting that Taliesin Jaffe is an old-school VtM and WtA player, who has expressed interest several times in running a one-shot for the rest of the group once he familiarises himself with V20 rules: so you might get your wish after all there ;D I personally think the group might enjoy Changeling or something else instead, but we'll see.

Matt has said before (I think on twitter? Maybe on the subreddit...I could find it if I looked) that the only player who cheats 'is no longer at the table', i.e it was Orion, and he has actually made Tal switch out his dice before. I think it's just luck + the fact that everyone pays more attention to his nat 20s than anyone else's, since they expect him to have them. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing. I do recall an instance in the Feywild arc where Taliesin rolled with Marisha's dice after she'd rolled several 1s in quick succession, though...and rolled a 20 with them. He's not cheating; I think he's just a witch.

I think it's a consequence of each class having certain dump stats more than anything. Tibs was a sorcerer, so he needed high Charisma, but he never really felt like he should have it. I still think he would have been better as a Wizard. Still, I have a sorcerer with 18 Cha in my PF game, and he's also an awkward creature. Percy is more interesting: iirc Taliesin has said that Percy is a man who thinks he is a genius, but is very much not, making that stat choice more acceptable imo. [VAGUE SPOILERS] You recall that his hubris here came back to bite him in the end. But a lot of this comes down to the relative lack of customisation one can do in 5e/PF.

Anyway! Apologies for bumping, but I do love this silly show. Worth a watch.
          I heard people site that quote before but I never recall Orion Cheating, and considering how much they put up with Taliesin I don't think it had anything to do with him leaving, from my understanding it had to do with him Blowing up on a fan's deviant art pic.

But I don't see how him rolling a twenty with Marisha's dice at all absolves him. He flat out shouldn't be allowed to roll his "Golden Snitch" anymore, I mean come on its a metal engraved die, they wouldn't allow that in Vegas or a back alley craps game.

But yeah a couple weeks ago Matt Mercer mentioned Exalted, meaning he has at least heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            I heard people site that quote before but I never recall Orion Cheating, and considering how much they put up with Taliesin I don't think it had anything to do with him leaving, from my understanding it had to do with him Blowing up on a fan's deviant art pic.
            You're right; though Matt later said Orion was prone to cheating--he would apparently hide rolls from other players and say they were a few numbers higher than they actually were--he wasn't kicked for that. IIRC it was for going off at a fan who wanted to send him a shirt design, or something? I think Orion mistakenly believed fans were making money off 'his' intellectual property. It was never really discussed outright. I feel sorry for the guy, but eh. Group dynamics have improved since he left.

But I don't see how him rolling a twenty with Marisha's dice at all absolves him. He flat out shouldn't be allowed to roll his "Golden Snitch" anymore, I mean come on its a metal engraved die, they wouldn't allow that in Vegas or a back alley craps game.

For sure. I checked CRStats just to see what the numbers were: Tal rolls the greatest number of 20s, but Liam and Laura aren't too far behind. Note that they also use metal dice sometimes. The three of them also have comparatively high numbers of nat 1s, though, so part of that is probably just that they're the three who roll most often full stop: they each usually take multiple attacks per round, etc. Anyway! That's enough numbers for lil ol' me today.

Nice to see some other fans around. I'd be interested to see what other people's favourite episodes are! Mine has been 57, 'Duskmeadow', for a long time: just a perfect little episode imo, with lots of great character development and imagery. I do love how one poor roll (!) on Laura's behalf in 'The Sunken Tomb' has been singehandedly responsible for turning the arcs of a full half of the party in a totally different direction.

Comment

Yeah Matt is unforgiving with his traps... hmmm have to think about my favorite eps! Lot of Goodones! I really enjoy the Scanlan Grog dynamics.

Comment

I love Mercer's dwarven swears. And Gilmore and the poor black powder merchant from Vaselheim

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
                X