The Critical Role Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
    So, what do you people think of the new crew? I personally am liking all the new characters although I wish Liam tried to do something other than mopey down on his luck characters for once.
    I love them. Mollymauk is my favorite. Sexy tiefling fortune teller with an Irish accent? Yes, please. Though it would have been nice to see him try a non-homebrew class for a change. I also like Jester a lot (I have a thing for horns), and seeing the two of them flirting was pretty great. I think Sam made the boldest character choice with Nott, which I appreciate. Also interesting that my three favorites were the three who decided to do non-American accents. Conversely, Liam’s voice for Caleb is exactly the same as his voice for Vax. I’ve also heard that exact same voice in a handful of video games, I wonder if he doesn’t have much range. Travis went with another big buff intimidating guy, and his voice is pretty similar to Grog’s, but I do like that Fjord is smarter than Grog. I like Beau a lot. Yasha is fine, but I’m not a big fan of Aasimar.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I think despite both being traditionally tough races and having a deep, gruff voice I appreciate the differences more between Grog the Goliath and Fjord the Half-orc. Totally agree that is great to see him playing a character at least as smart as he is. Also loving Sam playing the shitiest Charisma character ever, what was it? a 5?

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

So I never got into the original campaign, but I started the new season because of all the buzz and I’m pleasantly surprised so far. Might stick with it!

Definitely loving Yasha the most so far.
        Last edited by atamajakki; 01-18-2018, 06:42 PM.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          I love them. Mollymauk is my favorite. Sexy tiefling fortune teller with an Irish accent? Yes, please. Though it would have been nice to see him try a non-homebrew class for a change. I also like Jester a lot (I have a thing for horns), and seeing the two of them flirting was pretty great. I think Sam made the boldest character choice with Nott, which I appreciate. Also interesting that my three favorites were the three who decided to do non-American accents. Conversely, Liam’s voice for Caleb is exactly the same as his voice for Vax. I’ve also heard that exact same voice in a handful of video games, I wonder if he doesn’t have much range. Travis went with another big buff intimidating guy, and his voice is pretty similar to Grog’s, but I do like that Fjord is smarter than Grog. I like Beau a lot. Yasha is fine, but I’m not a big fan of Aasimar.
          Yeah -- I like Molly, too, and Jester (as I said further up, though, Laura has a slight advantage because she played Jester in another game and has had her "worked out" as a character for over a year, so she's the most contextually solid of the group). Liam's accent fluctuated subtly -- it was a bit of Vax, but here and there with dips/shifts -- as he, much like Travis, is trying to find the "root" of the character. (Of everybody, Travis -- per Talks Machina -- is the least ready, as it were, for Fjord, but will almost certainly stabilize over the next few episodes.)

Sam playing a goblin girl with a Chr:5 is nothing less than the perfect choice. (S/he is my initial favorite, with Laura/Jester a close second; that will likely level out over time as people get more into their characters.) The character I like the least, though, is Beau -- nothing against Marisha, as she gets enough grief from a vocal minority in the fandom, but of them all it's Beau who feels the most "forced"/not-quite-"there" yet, even more so than Liam/Caleb's still-Vax-ish accent.

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

I had always wanted but never managed to check on Critical Role's first campaign. With the second one, I had to occasion to jump on board without having to recover past episodes.

So yeah, I'm part of the fandom now. It's been fun.
            Last edited by Cinder; 01-22-2018, 07:23 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Yeah, I like that there is an easier starting point for new fans, since there is no previous experience required although there's still little easter eggs and call backs for the long time fans (loving trinkets and not being a fan of ale)

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbes View Post
                Yeah, I like that there is an easier starting point for new fans, since there is no previous experience required although there's still little easter eggs and call backs for the long time fans (loving trinkets and not being a fan of ale)
                If life allows, I'm eventually going back to recover the first game, but yes, the idea of jumping in while being hundreds of hours behind is what always stopped me so far. The new campaign was the perfect excuse and I hope that someday I'll manage to say "ooooh, that why they kept saying that"

Having said that, I do like the characters and it's clear they all really passionate about the game. A group of professionals giving free performances while having a good times is a nice bonus

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                  I had always wanted but never managed to check on Critical Role's first campaign. With the second one, I had to occasion to jump on board without having to recover past episodes.

So yeah, I'm part of the fandom now. It's been fun.
                  In the same boat and loving it.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I’m kinda heartbroken; I didn’t realize Yasha’s player can only attend sparingly, and she was the character I was most curious about in episode one. Hope she can get to the table more.

Loving this entire party, though. Super curious to see what Fjord and Caleb might be hiding.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Ah, yeah. Ashley's work on Blindspot also made her more like a recurring guest start at times although there were periods of her playing for several episodes straigth back in the first campaign with Vox Machina. Don't despair, you will definitely see more of her.

Comment

I’m really in love with this entire cast. The only character in the party I dislike is Beau, and that might be because her player is the host of the annoying internal TV show we run on loop at work.

Nott and Fjord’s “yeehaw” moment in episode 4 made me lose it.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I am still watching the second part of episode 4 (I try to dosify them) and currently at the Beau solo. Definitely kind of a dick, which is a far cry from her last character. Same with Caleb which at first seemed a re-do of some Vax mannerisms, but turned out to be completely different from what I initially thought. And Nott, Jester and Fjord... what can I say? They are all made of pure awesome.

Comment

I've been watching Critical Role since the first episode of the first campaign and have seen the first campaign twice now. I have an alpha subscription and nerdy CR merch. That's a lot of investment so I like it a lot.

I see a few pros and cons in this new campaign, though, but nothing too major, and nothing that's not subject to change:

+ I love the new setting and I love the fact that they are low level.
                            + Ashley: I like the way Ashley plays Yasha.
                            + Taliesin: I like the visual design of Mollymauk.
                            + Liam: Mostly a delight. I like Caleb as a character. I like the fact that he's a coward.
                            + Sam: Originally apphrensive of a goblin character, but if anyone can pull it off it's Sam. I have enjoyed Nott so far.
                            + Laura: I think Jester is a fun take on Clerics.
                            + Travis: Fjord is my favorite character. I like every aspect of him and the way he is portrayed.

- I was looking forward to see a young and ambitious group of adventurers and am a bit apprehensive of their immediate thrust into questionable moral character.
                            - Ashley: Sometimes I wonder if the show would be better without Ashley in it (because she's barely in it). But it's Ashley. I want her to be in it. It just bothers me that she's not there.
                            - Taliesin: I wonder if he only wants to make niche characters who are a bit emo. Not sure about him using a homebrewed class.
                            - Marisha: I don't like Beau. I enjoyed her training scene and she may get more interesting down the line, but I really really don't like her right now. It's all in the attitude.
                            - Liam: I would have wanted to see him play a more joyful character. Sometimes it gets cringey when he goes all-in on the intensity and is up in people's faces with emotional roleplay. Some of that is fine, but Vax was all about that. I fear that Caleb may go into that direction as well, but I hope that Nott is a good comedic balance for him to lighten up the mood.
                            - Laura: I'm getting a bit too much of Jester. Her trickster nature feels like the biggest threat to the group at the moment, and I fear that unless she tones it down, I'm going to get sick of it.

Those are my pros and cons of the new campaign. Now I'm trying to get through Court of Swords.

Freelance writer for Exalted Third Edition.

Comment

I only recently realized that sam’s character is Nott, a goblin girl, who poses as not a goblin girl.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

My thoughts: I've seen the bulk of the first campaign (only missing a little bit from the middle episodes) and it got really good at the end as the game ramped up. So I am super psyched for the new campaign. I'm currently up to date thanks to Project Alpha (having watched all of the episodes to date as well as all of the Talks Machina) so here goes...

Ashley: Like many of you I wish we could get more of her because I feel her character needs more exposure. But from what I've seen so far I like Yasha and LOVE her look.

Laura: Hands down my favorite. I love Jester and I like how she just kind of flows from each interaction to the next with her goofy, yet sincere comments. And I like how inviting she eventually became toward Caleb and Nott. Her bubbly comments like "Don't be a baaaaaaybeeee" and "stinkydoodie" make me chuckle every time. Her ideas that went into the art make Jester cute as a button.

Talisen: I like Mollymauk but I feel like I'm expecting more. He has this absolutely amazing look (far better in my opinion than any of the others) but his hesitancy to really explore an Irish accent has me mildly concerned. I know Matt and the others have indicated recently that some of the members may be using this as a way to help expand their vocal abilities so I suspect this is probably his hold up. He's waiting to spring it when he feels more comfortable. I also think that since his partner coming into the game was Ashley and she cannot make most games that this has limited some of his character's beginning growth/interactions. This will likely change.

Sam: I was "meh" about Sam playing a character from another gender and I can see it still throws the other players off occasionally but I am loving poor Nott's foiables. He's playing her like she's a tiny version of the Hulk but instead of rage it's maddening complusions and the interactions between Caleb and Nott have been great. I like the fact that it's a human and a goblin of all things against the world. Their loyalty to one another really stands out.

Travis: The only downside I have right now is he isn't playing his Wisdom right now. Which is fine because there will be plenty of time later. As a pretty smart, charismatic guy with a low wisdom he should occasionally come up with a plan that sounds amazing but he fails to factor in some threat or variable (or dismisses it or some such). But otherwise I love Fjord and I like his take on meeting Caleb for the first time. Like finding a kindred spirit in magic sort of.

Marisha: Beauregard is kind of meh right now. I suspect she's probably going to be on a slow burn for growth. She's also strikes me as similar to the character she played in Saga of Sundry: Madness except more drunk and not as meek.

Liam: I had a hard time with Caleb initially because he reminded me SO much of his character from Saga of Sundry: Madness that he played just before this game began. But after the first episode when he started getting the accent he wanted down and had some more interaction with the other characters I enjoyed it much more. I found it hilarious that Laura just claimed he stank and he just went with it

Lost Tribes Gaming: Shadow of the Phoenix: Sabbat 2nd and 4th Sundays 2pm PST to 6pm (-7GMT)
                                Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00am (-7GMT)
                                http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X