No announcement yet.

The Critical Role Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally figured out why I like Jester so much: she reminds me a lot of a drunken Tali Zora vas Normandy from the Mass Effect series.

Lost Tribes Gaming:
    Shadow of the Phoenix: Sabbat 2nd and 4th Sundays 2 pm PST to 6 pm (-7GMT)
    Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00 am (-7GMT)
    Star Wars: Republic Black Ops 2nd and 4th Wednesday nights from 7 pm to 10:00 pm PST (-7 GMT) http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

Caleb made me cry last session.

Also. Marisha voicing my favorite Pillars of Eternity 2 companion has made me hate Beau a little less.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

yeah I don't know what caused Liam to open up like that ICly but wow he had Caleb unload last game

Lost Tribes Gaming:
        Street Fighter: Generation Next 2nd and 4th Friday nights 8 pm PST to 12:00 am (-7GMT)
        Star Wars: Republic Black Ops 2nd and 4th Wednesday nights from 7 pm to 10:00 pm PST (-7 GMT) http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

Comment

That’s one way to break a new studio in.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Can someone tell me what happened in the last episode? I usually get to those a few days later, but all I know for know is that Ashly Burch was there and that something "bad" happened. Now apparently some people are...throwing hate at her? That's what the Internet is saying, at least.

I love Ashly, the thought there's one in a million chance I can ever meet her is one of the main really-stupid-yet-somehow-useful things I keep in mind to motivate me to self-improve. Got a rather serious crush for her and think she's great in general, so those news are not cool.

EDIT: Obviously, nothing that happens in game is an excuse to harass people, but I'd like to understand the circumstances
            Last edited by Cinder; 07-13-2018, 05:51 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I never really read D&D so I only get the jist of the rules and the setting. So like a rating of 10 is average human in a trait? What is the in character explanation for the party after killing some goblins all of the sudden they know more spells and can cook or whatever. It feels to much like a videogame, I don't understand how powers even work in D&D, most things are spells? I don't get how for instance Vex learns new ranger powers? Some people in the world just randomly have magic powers in D&D?

They also seem to ignore that Tiberius had excellent Charisma, he shouldn't have been treated so much like a goof, and Percy tries to be a world class genius, but he chooses battle stats like Dexterity over Intelligence or Wisdom.

Thoughts?

Yes, some people in the world of D&D randomly have magic powers. They're called SORCERERS!

But 10 is considered to be the baseline average for a typical human, because you don't get any bonuses or negatives. For every 2 attribute points above 10, you get a +1, and for every 2 attribute points below 10, you get a -1 to your rolls. For every 4 levels you gain, you get to 1 extra attribute point to spend.

As for Rangers having magic, they are basically the Paladin counterpart of a Druid. They get access to 1st level Druid spells starting at level 4, just like how Paladins gain access to 1st level Cleric spells at level 4.

Rangers are wardens of nature and protectors of the wilderness, so them acquiring spells later on is supposed to represent nature's gratitude by bestowing them with some extra power. Unfortunately, many interpretations of the D&D Ranger throughout media have often forgotten about, or chose not to demonstrate their magical abilities and instead focus on how great at archery and swordplay they are.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-13-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                Can someone tell me what happened in the last episode? I usually get to those a few days later, but all I know for know is that Ashly Burch was there and that something "bad" happened. Now apparently some people are...throwing hate at her? That's what the Internet is saying, at least.

I love Ashly, the thought there's one in a million chance I can ever meet her is one of the main really-stupid-yet-somehow-useful things I keep in mind to motivate me to self-improve. Got a rather serious crush for her and think she's great in general, so those news are not cool.

EDIT: Obviously, nothing that happens in game is an excuse to harass people, but I'd like to understand the circumstances
                I haven’t seen the episode yet, but I do know that
                Mollymauk dies.

If people are mad at Ashly Burch, it could be that they perceive it as being her fault somehow? Not sure.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but I do know that
                  Mollymauk dies.

If people are mad at Ashly Burch, it could be that they perceive it as being her fault somehow? Not sure.
                  Hmm, that would explain what all this fuss is about. Thanks.

From what I'm getting, most people seem to agree that it was tragic but still roleplayed well on both parts, but some vocal ones are mad at either Ashly or Matt for that. I'll have a clearer picture once I see the episode, but I doubt that toxic attitude is justified at all

Gotta say that people on Tumblr and Twitter were good at avoiding spoilers: I knew something bad happened but not its exact nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

The remaining members of the Nein are hunting the slavers that captured Fjord, Jester, and Yasha. Along the road, they find Ashly’s character, a dwarf named Keg with a grudge against the slavers; it turns out she ised to be one of them. She warns them that they’re a reall nasty bunch, and gonna be hard to take down in a fight - it’ll be the five of them versus seven of the slavers. The Nein set up a pretty clever ambush, and the fight begins.

That’s where everything goes to hell.

Nott is trying to unlock all of the slave cages, so she’s not making any attacks on her turns. Keg is having a hard time closing into melee due to her speed and Ashly roleplaying her as terrified of these slavers; she gives herself Disadvantage on everything as part of her roleplay. This then leaves Molly, Beau, and Caleb to try and fight seven powerful enemies on their own, essentially.

The entire party repeatedly rolled terribly on almost everything. Molly closed in on the boss slaver, got hit pretty bad, and then knocked himself unconscious spending his own HP on a Blood Maledict. The boss slaver then coup de grace’d Molly, and let the others live as a warning to any others who mess with his crew.

Folks are mad at Ashly for essentially taking herself out of combat. Folks are also mad at Taliesen for using an ability that costs his own HP when he had 4HP left. Folks are mad at Matt because they think a this fight was borderline unwinnable. Folks are mad at Sam for not contributing to the fight at all. Folks are really sad that Mollymauk is dead and not likely to come back.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Spoilers ahead, obviously.
                      Thanks, Regina. That does explain a lot

Comment

Yeesh. Yeah, I can see why folks would be mad about Ashly voluntarily giving herself Disadvantage for roleplay reasons. I myself am of the opinion that as a player, what your character “would do” is entirely up to you, and as part of a cooperative game, it is common courtesy to roleplay your character in a way that what they “would do” is what’s good for the team. But I also recognize that not everyone plays or likes to play the same way I do, and I’m certainly not going to get mad at someone for playing their character that way in someone else’s table, particularly not one that is as much performance art as it is a game. Besides, by the sound of things, her not taking that disadvantage might well not have made enough of a difference anyway.

As for Matt, I haven’t seen the episode, but I’d tend to give him the benefit of the doubt that if the fight was designed to be especially challenging, it was done with intention and the difficulty properly telegraphed.

Nott trying to unlock the cages just makes sense. That seems like a tactically sound decision to me if their goal was to free the slaves, since they knew the fight was going to be difficult and they couldn’t be sure they’d win, making sure the slaves can get free even if they lose seems like the best decision.

Talisen choosing to use an ability that sacrificed HP, while he was at low HP, against an enemy he knew hit very hard? That’s a clear signal to me that he knew he was screwed anyway and wanted to make the best he could out of a bad situation. Sometimes sacrificing your own character for the good of the group is the best move you can make. This sounds like one of those times.

Also, this is D&D. Resurrection is a thing. Molly may not be gone for good, and even if he is, he gave us a great story in the time we had with him.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I’m in a weird spot where I’m not upset at anyone for how things went and Molly is one of my least-favorite characters, but I’ll still admit that a permanent loss and seeing how deflated everyone was definitely has been a huge downer. And I’d be doing a lot worse if Caleb, Nott, or Fjord had died.

Here’s hoping everyone is okay, the internet behaves, and Tal can make a character he loves just as much.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I actually read this thread before I watched the episode in question and being a long term ST this is what I came away with: While I commend Ashly for wanting to play her character as she saw it, I felt it was a very bad on-the-fly decision and directly led to much of the scene falling apart. And had I been running the game I'd likely have a side conversation about being open with communications before game, and nothing this altering without giving the ST a heads up. Mostly because of the perceived fall out we are discussing (blame casting, etc). I just didn't feel her desire for revenge warranted such a drastic call unless the point of her joining was to ICly throw the fight yet look like she tried, giving the slavers a mole in what remained of their group.

Granted no one can account for poor rolls so it's not like I would single her out, but of the various plans this group comes up with they did a pretty darn good job initially. And I feel if they had all committed to the act, they may have gotten somewhere. Even if it was a partial victory like freeing Yasha but the others were still trapped.

Sam needed to attack and not sneak around the carts, especially with the warnings Ashly was giving IC. I see 'why' he was aiming for that but they seriously needed more damage output and 1 successful shot at the sorcerer who cast Dispel Magic would have been a huge boon in their favor. So to me that was a bad spot. Talisen trying to act as a tank instead of partnering up with Beau wasn't a sound move either, and seeing as his powers require him to use his own blood, that was a huge error on his part. Kudos to him for owning the error though at the end. I think that was exactly what happened. He stated an action, went through with it, and then realized he didn't have the HP to make it. But instead of retconning he followed through.

But those are just my thoughts

Lost Tribes Gaming:

Comment

Tal confirmed on Talks Machina that he has rolled a new character.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Yup I saw that. I hope they do a clean split and let the character remain dead. I liked Molly a lot (mostly look wise) but something about this whole situation just feels like he needs to remain dead, as any attempt to bring him back would just cheapen what happened

Lost Tribes Gaming:

Comment

Working...
                                X