Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good are you at testing the waters with new Forums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are you at testing the waters with new Forums?

So question how good are you all at testing the waters with new forums? I don't usually go to a wide swath of Forums. But I just went to a new one and one of the posters was freaking out on me, and I was asking why the escalation in our discussion. And he explained it was because he felt I responding to his paragraphs with a couple of sentences was rude. And then I realized he was a moderator and it felt cringy that the moderator was popping off so much caplocked bold huge font repeat posts... I mean the Whitewolf forums can be rather stormtossed sometimes but I guess it is rather more professional and civil then several other forums, though I see some people having issues with it.

In case you were wondering it is the Dragonball Multiverse Forum that just became a thing and I was simply saying I don't think Raditz is necessarily gauranteed to have a higher potential then all humans if given the Elder Kai's mystic form... God I'm a nerd forgive me. I explained I was spending the time reading different posts in between doing something else away from my computer and I felt my posts were short and to the point, and my laptops mouse is broken so doing a point by point break down was something I didn't weigh highly on my priorities. As I posted long posts when discussing things I was interesting like hypethetical situations and theorizing certain esoteric things.

But in general I know the Interwebs can be a weird emotional place, and I have avoided the whatever the Hell 4chan is as I heard its some sort of nexus sewer of the internet. But how quickly do you'all's test the waters? I mean if it is a forum of something I am impressed by and respect I was having certain expectations about the local lawbringers...

I don't want this to be some weird thread that gets locked down, but I can see it touching upon a bitch whine and moanish motiff, but that is not the exact aim. Thoughts and advice?

It is a time for great deeds!

I'm loud. I usually know right away if I'm going to fit in or not. That mod sounds like a douchenozzle, and if they let douchenozzles be moderators, you're better off without that forum. The amount of time they spent on that post does not obligate you to spend a similar amount of time on yours.

Comment

I cam tell within a day or two if a given online community puts up with bigoted bullshit, and if it does, I bail.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        But I just went to a new one and one of the posters was freaking out on me, and I was asking why the escalation in our discussion. And he explained it was because he felt I responding to his paragraphs with a couple of sentences was rude. And then I realized he was a moderator and it felt cringy that the moderator was popping off so much caplocked bold huge font repeat posts... I mean the Whitewolf forums can be rather stormtossed sometimes but I guess it is rather more professional and civil then several other forums, though I see some people having issues with it.
        My suggestion is to send a message to the admin, asking if that is a conduct they want from their moderators. It is often not possible for an admin to keep tab of all activities of their mods, and it might have flown under their radar. If they have made a mistake, they might correct it.

Also, some forum platforms make people show up as a mod if they have any permissions above a regular user. So it might be someone helping out with something, without actually being a mod.

If they don't correct it, or don't think it was a mistake appointig that mod, then you know it isn't a place for you. Not sending a message, you have not given them a chanse fixing a problem they might not be aware of.

Comment

To play the devil's advocate and probably offer an unpopular perspective...

I give new forums a while.

Having run my own forums for nearly a decade, I can tell you two things:
          - sometimes you catch a mod on a bad day
          - sometimes it feels like a new person wants to dive right in and make a name for themselves

I'm not saying either of things are right. Let's just get that out there. I am saying these things happen, though, and blowing them out of proportion is probably just burning a bridge. Rushing right back in with a sense of entitlement about the courtesies you're owed and how mods should behave will accomplish nothing.

So take time to cool off, and peruse the forums. See if you like what you're reading, see if you like the other players. If you think it's a place you might want to fit in? Send that mod a PM and ask them if they were having a bad day and/or apologize if you came off with a different tone than you intended. If they're a halfway decent person, they'll feel guilty as f* and you'll get sorted out.

And remember: most mods aren't power hungry psychopaths. Most likely they're a player just like you that got conscripted when things got short-staffed and stepped up to a 99% thankless job.

TL;DR

I give it enough time to see if I like what I'm reading in total than from just one person.

Banned on WW forums for calling the MMO 'vaporware' ~ 8 Years of NWoD PBP

Comment

Working...
          X